• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the time the DLC hit, I was extremely done with Bloodborne and I have zero intention of going back. I mostly enjoyed my time with it, but the lack of variety of character builds and the generally bland encounter design burnt me out way quicker than any Souls games previous (Aside from DS2, but that game has bigger problems).

Dude, dude? You're literally missing out on the coolest boss in that entire game.

Dude you are missing out like you have no idea. Totally worth going back for the DLC, it's some of the best content (and certainly best/hardest bosses) of any Souls game.

Lady Maria
amirite?

diggler41

Who gets unionized first: game developers or professional wrestlers?

I'm sorry but pro wrestling already had a union and it was terrible.

the-union.jpg

yami4ct

Dude you are missing out like you have no idea. Totally worth going back for the DLC, it's some of the best content (and certainly best/hardest bosses) of any Souls game.

I'm certain it's good, but like I said, I'm not going back to Bloodborne. It's already lost me. I have too many games to play to go back to something I've burnt out on.

Bloodborne was the only Souls game I've played to completion, and I certainly liked it a lot, but I think it's going to be at least another 6-8 months before I feel like returning to that same gameplay again. I'm surprised people who've played the whole series dont seem fatigued by this one.

TraBuch

Banned
I kinda feel like selling my PS4 and going back to complete my massive PS3 backlog, and then by the time I'm done with that, there will probably be a PS4 revision of some kind with so many games I missed out on ready to play. Also, Trails of Cold Steel 2 and Persona 5 both come out on the PS3 so I wouldn't be be missing out on either of my two most anticipated games.

Time to download Catherine.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
man Bloodborne was such a good ass game. Crazy that it didn't make Giant bomb's top 10 - and they all liked it! Even Jeff!

Yeah that was definitely the weirdest omission, not even because I love BB and it was my GOTY, but because they all liked it. That aside I think it's a masterclass in world design and narrative, as Souls games tend to be, but I wouldn't expect them to care about that at this point. (Brad's "it all looks the same" negging is insane to me). WHATEVS lol.

Yeah that was definitely the weirdest omission, not even because I love BB and it was my GOTY, but because they all liked it. That aside I think it's a masterclass in world design and narrative, as Souls games tend to be, but I wouldn't expect them to care about that at this point. (Brad's "it all looks the same" negging is insane to me). WHATEVS lol.

Just remember that Witcher 'Nobody liked the gameplay' 3 got in the list over bloodborne

yami4ct

I mean, we all know the best games of the year are never even mentioned by the GB crew.

Trails in the Sky SC got robbed (in my heart). It never even had a chance and only like 2 of the crew would've dug it, but it's absolutely the true GOTY.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
True, it's Dark Souls II's dumb little brother.
Yep. It's fun, don't get it twisted, but top ten material?

:JayZNah:

And DS2 is just DS1's half cousin you don't want to spend Christmas at their house because it's cold as fuck and his dad's too cheap to turn on the heater.

Yep. It's fun, don't get it twisted, but top ten material?

:JayZNah:

And DS2 is just DS1's half cousin you don't want to spend Christmas at their house because it's cold as fuck and his dad's too cheap to turn on the heater.

I'm one of those savages that likes Dark Souls II the most, I'll fight anyone irl if need be.

DS2 is far and away the best, between DS1 and 2, at least. DS1 drops the ball in the last half too much, and the online is garbage, which makes it lose a lot of my respect.

Do Souls games actuallly have a narrative, or is it something that people come up with weeks after release when they've finally pieced together all 200 pieces of From's 500 piece story-puzzle?

The DS3 stream did pique my interest in all the theories, I'll admit.

Megasoum

Banned
Wow... That whole "You need a Steam Mobile Authenticator and also you need to confirm on the phone every transactions you want to do on the marker" is really fucking annoying

KingKong

it just cant match that beatiful Galak-Z artstyle

I won't stand for this Bloodborne shit talking. I can't compare it to other souls games because I've only played like 2 hours of Demons Souls and that's it, but Bloodborne got me hooked. And it came right at a time when I needed a game to sink 70 hours into.

Jintor

i really liked galak-z's gameplay but the aesthetic was really not what I was hoping for based on what they were saying, and it still feels incomplete to me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Semi-accepted Bloodborne shit talking always feels like people realizing they're getting sick of Souls but want to blow it off as 'just a Bloodborne thing'

DS2 is far and away the best, between DS1 and 2, at least. DS1 drops the ball in the last half too much, and the online is garbage, which makes it lose a lot of my respect.

DS1 definitely dropped the ball, but DS2 was the kid on the playground that got picked last and never even touched it.

yami4ct

i really liked galak-z's gameplay but the aesthetic was really not what I was hoping for based on what they were saying, and it still feels incomplete to me.

That's because the game still is literally incomplete!

I'm never going to pass up a chance to shit on the Galak-Z release. 17Bit released it as a broken, incomplete mess, promised to finish the game by the end of the year, and almost a year later still hasn't given paying customers the whole thing. Hell, most of the people that played the damn thing got it for free on PS+ at this point I'd suspect.

yami4ct

Semi-accepted Bloodborne shit talking always feels like people realizing they're getting sick of Souls but want to blow it off as 'just a Bloodborne thing'

For me? Nah. Bloodborne made great strides in changing up combat, but the actual content was lacking compared to DS1. Character builds are boring and standard, play style variety is just OK and gives very little reason to do a second run, boss fights are mostly just OK aside from 1-2 standouts, poor environmental variety in the early game and the covenant system was completely gutted.

I'm up for more Souls, but I want a Souls game that even tries to reach DS1 quality.

Drew must fall so Drew can Rise.
DS1 definitely dropped the ball, but DS2 was the kid on the playground that got picked last and never even touched it.

Disagree. Aside from the interconnectedness of the world, I can't really think of any regressions between DS1 and 2. Combat, online, and level design are as good or better than the first.

I haven't played Scholars though, if that changes something.
That's because the game still is literally incomplete!

I'm never going to pass up a chance to shit on the Galak-Z release. 17Bit released it as a broken, incomplete mess, promised to finish the game by the end of the year, and almost a year later still hasn't given paying customers the whole thing. Hell, most of the people that played the damn thing got it for free on PS+ at this point I'd suspect.

Wait, that didn't come out recently? Wowser.

For me? Nah. Bloodborne made great strides in changing up combat, but the actual content was lacking compared to DS1. Character builds are boring and standard, play style variety is just OK and gives very little reason to do a second run, boss fights are mostly just OK aside from 1-2 standouts, poor environmental variety in the early game and the covenant system was completely gutted.

I'm up for more Souls, but I want a Souls game that even tries to reach DS1 quality.

I have friends that are insane DS1 nuts that say that the BB Old Hunter DLC actually makes the entire package as good, maybe even better than DS1. It apparently fixes every single "problem" the game has.

Still have to give it a run myself, but I already think BB is the best "souls" game no question without the DLC.

Disagree. Aside from the interconnectedness of the world, I can't really think of any regressions between DS1 and 2.

Level design, bosses, hitboxes, 90% of the weapons being shitty (though power stance was cool), etc. etc. It's the same tired argument, but it is what it is.

yami4ct

Disagree. Aside from the interconnectedness of the world, I can't really think of any regressions between DS1 and 2. Combat, online, and level design are as good or better than the first.

Wait, that didn't come out recently? Wowser.

I feel so damn taken by that game. I paid to beta test 17bit's game for them. Either Sony should've created an Early Access program or Galak-Z should have failed cert. I paid for a complete product and got a early access quality mess.

I could've waited for the game to be finished and gotten it for free on PS+ before that even happened.

17-Bit burnt any good will they could've possibly had with me. I hope it was worth it.

neshcom

Banned
I checked out of MGS early in this game, should I even watch the recent ones? It doesn't sound like y'all or Dan or Drew are enjoying it...

I feel so damn taken by that game. I paid to beta test 17bit's game for them. Either Sony should've created an Early Access program or Galak-Z should have failed cert. I paid for a complete product and got a early access quality mess.

I could've waited for the game to be finished and gotten it for free on PS+ before that even happened.

17-Bit burnt any good will they could've possibly had with me. I hope it was worth it.
I enjoyed Galak-z at release, but what is this incompleteness we're talking about?

I guess DS1 vs 2 comes a lot down to expectations. DS2 gave me a lot more variety in terms of weapons and equipment, which let me embrace fashion souls and a non-horrible online experience that I had a lot of fun with. And boss-wise, I can't help but respect DS2's bosses after I spent an hour duelling Rat Authority with a bow; a huge and intense improvement over chores like Bed of Chaos. The moment-to-moment area design felt about the same to me (without the giant drop in quality in the final third, in DS2's case).

Although this reminded me of DS1's other triumph: corpse physics. So glad it's back in DS3.

That really sucks.

Doesn't Sony have some Early Access thing now? (Hopefully I'm not dreaming that up.) Since unfinished releases, even on console, seem unavoidable, at least labelling them will offer some measure of protection.
I enjoyed Galak-z at release, but what is this incompleteness we're talking about?

There's four seasons with the fifth still in development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom