• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

I enjoyed Galak-z at release, but what is this incompleteness we're talking about?

At launch, game was buggy as shit. Frame drops and hitches everywhere and frequent crashes. Given a crash in the middle of an episode means you lose your whole season, they are completely unforgivable here.

As for content, PC got a new mode that it took the PS4 (which came out first) ages to get. Also, when you finish Season 4 of the game, it immediately gives you a Season 5 coming soon on your continue button with no indications as to what that means. I actually thought I had to unlock it somehow. Unfortunately, it was supposed to hit in a free update by the end of 2015 and never came. 17bit claims it's hitting in the next month or so, but we'll see. Story wise (for as much as that matters) the game is incomplete. It also just feels like it needs more to tie the game together.

That really sucks.

Doesn't Sony have some Early Access thing now? (Hopefully I'm not dreaming that up.) Since unfinished releases, even on console, seem unavoidable, at least labelling them will offer some measure of protection.

There's four chapters with the fifth still in development.

No, no official EA program of any kind on the Sony side yet.

At launch, game was buggy as shit. Frame drops and hitches everywhere and frequent crashes. Given a crash in the middle of an episode means you lose your whole season, they are completely unforgivable here.

As for content, PC got a new mode that it took the PS4 (which came out first) ages to get. Also, when you finish Season 4 of the game, it immediately gives you a Season 5 coming soon on your continue button with no indications as to what that means. I actually thought I had to unlock it somehow. Unfortunately, it was supposed to hit in a free update by the end of 2015 and never came. 17bit claims it's hitting in the next month or so, but we'll see. Story wise (for as much as that matters) the game is incomplete. It also just feels like it needs more to tie the game together.

No, no official EA program of any kind on the Sony side yet.

Gotcha. Didn't know about that mode or season 5. Why would that take so long? Weren't the levels randomly generated?

yami4ct

Gotcha. Didn't know about that mode or season 5. Why would that take so long? Weren't the levels randomly generated?

Apparently 17bit lost a programmer and it took a while to get a new one. Game isn't fully randomly generated either. Each Season has a slightly different tile set (for want of a better term) and set of missions. Final level with boss is always the same as well.

I mean, I understand that's a hardship and it sucks, but as a user it shouldn't have been released unfinished to begin with.

Can someone give me a list of the best eps of MGScanlonV? I watched all the older games because I hadnt played them in years, but I since I just put 100 hours into MGSV I kinda dont want to watch the whole thing, haha.

Metal Gear Scanlon V - Part 24

I'm probably one of the few that still adore MGScanlon.

Nah, still second best feature to RoF

Can someone give me a list of the best eps of MGScanlonV? I watched all the older games because I hadnt played them in years, but I since I just put 100 hours into MGSV I kinda dont want to watch the whole thing, haha.

The most recent ones from Codetalker to now have been the best. Lots of wacky Metal Gear stuff and Drew banging his head on things

danm999

Vinny, Jason and Alex all liked TW3 gameplay to some extent.

Bloodbourne didn't make the cut because nobody but Rorie put it high.

Drew got the missions in a different order than I did.

Well, cutscenes? I got the cutscene where Quiet gets the necklace before I got the AI pod mission.

I keep telling myself to finally start the Witcher 3 since it was the whole reason i played 1 and 2.

But I can't stop playing fighting games and I'm thirsty for loot so now I'm getting into PSO2

Almost as bad as TLOU winning smh

They all seemed very high on TLOU. Jeff was the main detractor of the game. Brad, too, for a while. For whatever reason, it suddenly clicked for him and he fell in love with the game. I remember the podcast where he said the game took a positive turn for him. When that happened, I knew it would be the winner (if not, top 3). He even reviewed the Left Behind add-on and gave it a perfect score.

Anjin M

I keep telling myself to finally start the Witcher 3 since it was the whole reason i played 1 and 2.

But I can't stop playing fighting games and I'm thirsty for loot so now I'm getting into PSO2

Witcher 3 is a different kind of loot game. Instead of cool armor and weapons, you collect stories. It's rad.

Man, I'm so god damn torn over Trackmania Turbo. 40 bucks is too much for a game that's got a lot of stuff I've played before, and the lack of dedicated servers (And horns! And the Hornet!) is a serious blow.

But that fucking stunt mode, man. Doing the same tracks as before is way more interesting when you have to figure out when to sneak a flip in to get a turbo boost that you also have to sneak in at the best time.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Was hoping for a Slain quicklook before it was out to decide on buying or not, guess I'm SoL

Just heard another incredible Ben Hanson story from Dan. Read the whole following sentence without clicking the spoiler and I promise you what's under it is better than whatever you think it is:

He once had a dream where he
skinned his grandfather
and woke up laughing from it.

I don't know if that's as insane as running an AFI podcast in 2016, but it's up there.

Lingitiz

I have friends that are insane DS1 nuts that say that the BB Old Hunter DLC actually makes the entire package as good, maybe even better than DS1. It apparently fixes every single "problem" the game has.

Still have to give it a run myself, but I already think BB is the best "souls" game no question without the DLC.

Level design, bosses, hitboxes, 90% of the weapons being shitty (though power stance was cool), etc. etc. It's the same tired argument, but it is what it is.

Old Hunters is great, but I don't think it "fixes" Bloodborne. The core game still has some boneheaded design decisions that are weirdly regressive. The DLC provides a good challenge that the core game needed badly, since I felt like it had a poor difficulty curve overall (starts out fairly challenging, pretty much becomes a cakewalk after the first 3 or 4 bosses).

Wasn't a fan of the bloodvials system pushing you towards grinding, minor quality of life stuff like being able to reset the world and level at checkpoints. Combine that with ridiculous load times to make for a dumb and pointless loop that didn't need to be added other than to say they tried to throwback to Demons Souls. I thought the Chalice Dungeons were a huge waste of time and resources too. Those just aren't fun at all.

I'm excited for Dark Souls 3 for a couple of reasons. One being having 60 FPS Souls back again since BB was an exclusive. It also seems to have retain a few aspects of Bloodborne movement and feel but we get the build and environmental variety back as well. Also looking forward to having the feel of character progression back again. I don't feel like Bloodborne captured that very well. A character from the start of the game plays a lot like an ending character.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
And also looks a lot like a end game character

Old Hunters is great, but I don't think it "fixes" Bloodborne. The core game still has some boneheaded design decisions that are weirdly regressive. The DLC provides a good challenge that the core game needed badly, since I felt like it had a poor difficulty curve overall (starts out fairly challenging, pretty much becomes a cakewalk after the first 3 or 4 bosses).

Wasn't a fan of the bloodvials system pushing you towards grinding, minor quality of life stuff like being able to reset the world and level at checkpoints. Combine that with ridiculous load times to make for a dumb and pointless loop that didn't need to be added other than to say they tried to throwback to Demons Souls. I thought the Chalice Dungeons were a huge waste of time and resources too. Those just aren't fun at all.

I'm excited for Dark Souls 3 for a couple of reasons. One being having 60 FPS Souls back again since BB was an exclusive. It also seems to have retain a few aspects of Bloodborne movement and feel but we get the build and environmental variety back as well. Also looking forward to having the feel of character progression back again. I don't feel like Bloodborne captured that very well. A character from the start of the game plays a lot like an ending character.

Only if you choose to play it like that. My end game character was far different from my character in the beginning in BB, yet my character in DS2 finished with mostly the same gear he had from near the beginning even though the game has a larger number of armor/weapons.

The biggest props I give to BB is the fact that it doesn't have any areas that are exceedingly bad or much lower quality than the rest of the game. NoM isn't amazing, but it's not the drop off like some areas from DeS or DS1 were. The little things don't annoy me when the stuff that's done so well is done extremely well throughout, which i can't say about DeS or DS1.

Lingitiz

Only if you choose to play it like that. My end game character was far different from my character in the beginning in BB, yet my character in DS2 finished with mostly the same gear he had from near the beginning even though the game has a larger number of armor/weapons.

The biggest props I give to BB is the fact that it doesn't have any areas that are exceedingly bad or much lower quality than the rest of the game. NoM isn't amazing, but it's not the drop off like some areas from DeS or DS1 were. The little things don't annoy me when the stuff that's done so well is done extremely well throughout, which i can't say about DeS or DS1.

I don't think the game really pushes you to play differently though. In Dark Souls you'll craft a new weapon with a boss soul, maybe change an armor set, higher estus flask capacity, etc. You're pushed to make changes and your character progresses.

In Bloodborne armor doesn't matter, you find the weapon you like early on and stick with it. Nothing really changes other than stat inflation. I'm no Souls expert, but I never felt inclined to make a bunch of different characters. It seems like one character can basically do it all.

I'll give you that BB doesn't have a ton of bad areas (I disliked the tedium of NoM) but I did find the aesthetic samey and as a result the back end of the game felt like a bit of a slog.

Rhaknar

My problem with BB was mostly that because of the lower caps and the fact that there wasnt mages or clerics, or tanks, you could pretty much easily reach the soft cap of str and dex (in fact most did since the best weapon pre-dlc scaled with both) and you could do / use everything.

My tank character is completely different than my pyro in Dark Souls, who is completely different from my Mage etc

I don't think the game really pushes you to play differently though. In Dark Souls you'll craft a new weapon with a boss soul, maybe change an armor set, higher estus flask capacity, etc. You're pushed to make changes and your character progresses.

In Bloodborne armor doesn't matter, you find the weapon you like early on and stick with it. Nothing really changes other than stat inflation. I'm no Souls expert, but I never felt inclined to make a bunch of different characters. It seems like one character can basically do it all.

I'll give you that BB doesn't have a ton of bad areas (I disliked the tedium of NoM) but I did find the aesthetic samey and as a result the back end of the game felt like a bit of a slog.

I thought the game played with it's environments really well in the back half. Changing the setting of the world state after Rom was a cool twist and places like Cainhurst and NoM looked far different than anything else in the game. Not sure where the "samey" comes from when the second half looks different from the first half, while still managing to retain some level of consistency. Unless people don't give a shit about consistent environments and don't mind riding elevators in a windmill in the middle of nowhere up to a volcano surrounding an iron castle.

As for the weapons, like i said, it's samey only if you play like that. Armor doesn't really have the same impact that it did in previous souls games which is kind of a shame, but each weapon was far different from each other and was much more mechanically complex than any previous souls game's weapons because of the transforming weapons. If you chose to stick with the original weapon and didn't feel the need to change, that's all on you, but with the Old Hunter DLC there's plenty of room for exploration with the number of weapons in the game.

I think complaints of not enough incentive to replay the game is a much less offensive problem than the second half of your game being completely mediocre.

Edit: well tbh it's not fair to include the OH DLC and not the Artorias one. The Artorias DLC does occur in the second half of DS1 and it is fantastic, unlike the rest of the back half.

Xiraiya

The moment I go to start a podcast the site decides to go down, amazing timing.

This wouldn't have been an issue if all the Podcasts were still archived on Podbay in an easy to read and well organized fashion.
It was amazingly convenient, but I guess a simple and straight forward list is too convenient when I can just navigate 50 pages showing like 10 podcasts at a time in a little corner section of a page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom