• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time Jeff (and even Vinny) talks about how shocked everyone was that the general public ended up wanting new consoles in 2013, I completely disagree. Maybe its just because they're in the bay area, but I never got the impression that suburban metro-detroit was done with consoles and ready to go all PC or whatever. And when GBEast starts talking about how consoles are almost irrelevant (or whatever that topic was a couple weeks back)... I don't know if they realize the bubble they're in.

I'm having big problem with the GB Video Buddy app on my iPhone. Whenever I try to Chromecast content it stutters a lot and sometimes continues running without audio. Pausing and resuming rectifies this for seconds ...

YouTube is prefect with Chromecast and I was able to watch the Trackmania Quick Look yesterday without any stuttering at lot, which makes me think it's a problem with the VB app.

I use the android version all the time with no problem, it might be the ios version's fault?

Every time Jeff (and even Vinny) talks about how shocked everyone was that the general public ended up wanting new consoles in 2013, I completely disagree. Maybe its just because they're in the bay area, but I never got the impression that suburban metro-detroit was done with consoles and ready to go all PC or whatever. And when GBEast starts talking about how consoles are almost irrelevant (or whatever that topic was a couple weeks back)... I don't know if they realize the bubble they're in.

Whenever they talk about people being surprised I'm pretty sure they're talking about the business side of it. The companies seem to keep thinking this will be the last gen for consoles and either consoles will be built to keep being updated or mobile will just take over.

Myggen

Whenever they talk about people being surprised I'm pretty sure they're talking about the business side of it. The companies seem to keep thinking this will be the last gen for consoles and either consoles will be built to keep being updated or mobile will just take over.

Yup, it's pretty clear that a lot of the bigger companies didn't think it was a sure thing at all, which is partly why there were so few big games coming out the first year+ from several publishers, and probably why they started to release a shit ton of remasters of old games when they saw that the demand was there.

i think they have a point and it's something i've mentioned and see firsthand through my nephew: kids these days are growing up with shallow, chearp/free, touch only gaming on their phones/tablets. BUT, we're also seeing a generation of gamers growing up who are used to playing on PCs thanks to Minecraft.

Notice what's missing from that anecdotal observation: Consoles. Kids these days are simply not growing up with consoles or controllers in their hands and even the few that are, it's not the ubiqitous thing it was from 1980s-2005ish where if you were a kid and wanted to game, you had a gameboy/DS or a Nintendo/Playstation and that was mostly it.

So, yeah, it isn't some sort of weird FUD thing coming from them or from console manufacturers, it's a real concern for them and it's understandable that they're trying new business models and are willing to make radical changes in the market because they run the risk of the market aggressively shrinking or even disappearing. All you need to do is just see how consoles are doing in Japan right now if you want an example of what they're trying to avoid.

Right, I'm just shocked that anyone felt that no one wanted consoles anymore. I had never seen that sentiment. I think everyone's just worried about this next generation growing up on Clash of Clans and rightfully so

Myggen

I also think you're remembering that discussion wrong if "consoles are almost completely irrelevant" is what you got from that Beastcast discussion.

bionicpuppy

Giant Bomb Producter/Bufu Caster

Have heard the bubble thing quite a bit concerning PCs and consoles, but never quite understood how it applies. What's the bubble when it comes to relevance of consoles and PCs and how and where I play games?

Thanks,
Bubble Trouble in New York

i think they have a point and it's something i've mentioned and see firsthand through my nephew: kids these days are growing up with shallow, chearp/free, touch only gaming on their phones/tablets. BUT, we're also seeing a generation of gamers growing up who are used to playing on PCs thanks to Minecraft.

Notice what's missing from that anecdotal observation: Consoles. Kids these days are simply not growing up with consoles or controllers in their hands and even the few that are, it's not the ubiqitous thing it was from 1980s-2005ish where if you were a kid and wanted to game, you had a gameboy/DS or a Nintendo/Playstation and that was mostly it.

So, yeah, it isn't some sort of weird FUD thing coming from them or from console manufacturers, it's a real concern for them and it's understandable that they're trying new business models and are willing to make radical changes in the market because they run the risk of the market aggressively shrinking or even disappearing. All you need to do is just see how consoles are doing in Japan right now if you want an example of what they're trying to avoid.

Its definitely an issue down the road, but I don't believe that this set of consoles lives and dies by 8 years olds. The next one or the one after that, yes its potentially a serious problem. But at the same time, isn't PS4 selling at a record pace, and Xbone is doing fine as well? Kids are still growing up with consoles, but maybe Clash of Clans is just tapping into that market of kids who were never going to be console gamers anyways. Who can say. I just felt like, in 2013 it didn't feel like an issue to me.

Vinny's tag has a typo in it smh gaf

re: the SF/NY bubble, I think people who are hooked deep into the industry have a tendency to assume everyone is ready for the always-online firmware-update-driven VR cyberfuture when in reality there are still lots of people like Glitches who live in parts of the US that just don't have the Internet infrastructure to support that model and are still down with the idea of buying a box every five years. I don't know if that relates specifically to consoles vs PCs but yeah

Megasoum

Banned
Have heard the bubble thing quite a bit concerning PCs and consoles, but never quite understood how it applies. What's the bubble when it comes to relevance of consoles and PCs and how and where I play games?

Thanks,

Guess now you have to do a bombastica on Bubble Bobble

Thanks,

Being in the tech industry, playing games for a living, talking about games for a living, and working with people who cover, publish and develop games for a living. I don't think the majority of the console market has those same influences.

Its definitely an issue down the road, but I don't believe that this set of consoles lives and dies by 8 years olds. The next one or the one after that, yes its potentially a serious problem. But at the same time, isn't PS4 selling at a record pace, and Xbone is doing fine as well? Kids are still growing up with consoles, but maybe Clash of Clans is just tapping into that market of kids who were never going to be console gamers anyways. Who can say. I just felt like, in 2013 it didn't feel like an issue to me.

In 2012 it was enough of a concern for Nintendo that they essentially launched a console with a tablet. It appears to continue to be a concern for them because they're both dipping their toes into the mobile market and it really looks like the NX is going to try to appeal to touch only gamers given the pics of an NX controller rolling around.

this is just making logical assumptions of what nintendo is trying to do but from all appearances, they're trying their damnedest to keep appealing to young gamers. So that demographic is real enough that at least one major console manufacturer has the appearances of doing what it can to cater to it.

Of course we could see the NX at E3 and it ends up being much more that that rumored controller and these assumptions will look stupid then but i feel good about them now.

Also: Vinny, we getting Rondo this week or what? We love that Rondo stuff in these parts!

TraBuch

Banned
In 2012 it was enough of a concern for Nintendo that they essentially launched a console with a tablet. It appears to continue to be a concern for them because they're both dipping their toes into the mobile market and it really looks like the NX is going to try to appeal to touch only gamers given the pics of an NX controller rolling around.

this is just making logical assumptions of what nintendo is trying to do but from all appearances, they're trying their damnedest to keep appealing to young gamers. So that demographic is real enough that at least one major console manufacturer has the appearances of doing what it can to cater to it.

Of course we could see the NX at E3 and it ends up being much more that that rumored controller and these assumptions will look stupid then but i feel good about them now.

And when you look at the results, Nintendo's concern was apparently unwarranted. Maybe one day that concern will be warranted, but it's not today or any time in the near future.

re: the SF/NY bubble, I think people who are hooked deep into the industry have a tendency to assume everyone is ready for the always-online firmware-update-driven VR cyberfuture when in reality there are still lots of people like Glitches who live in parts of the US that just don't have the Internet infrastructure to support that model and are still down with the idea of buying a box every five years.

Uh, just to point something out I'd still rather play on PC. I love my PC and the only parts I haven't upgraded recently are my RAM and PSU. With the prevalence of day 1 patches it's not much different anymore. Although I'm super happy with the WiiU games having the system patches on the game disks or whatever magic the WiiU does to keep going with the internet turned off.

Like all around it's starting to be a bad time for anyone with metered connections.

All this console talk is making me not looking forward to this upgrade model shit. Where I live, we don't have a sell back or whatever market. Whatever you buy, that's it unless you sell it yourself through other means. So, if consoles are going the mobile phones route with incremental upgrades then I'm not looking forward to it but I'll be there even though I own a pretty swell PC, because it's the only way I can game with my friends

Also, Heyoooo THE VINNNBEAAASSTT!

Being in the tech industry, playing games for a living, talking about games for a living, and working with people who cover, publish and develop games for a living. I don't think the majority of the console market has those same influences.
I feel like you're interpreting their conversation on the beastcast a few weeks back as a complete dismissal of consoles.

Dineren

Banned
Wasn't that whole console/PC discussion on the Beastcast specifically about how they personally feel about it and not about industry trends? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I could've sworn that was why Vinny had peppered the discussion with so many disclaimers.

Wasn't that whole console/PC discussion on the Beastcast specifically about how they personally feel about it and not about industry trends? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I could've sworn that was why Vinny had peppered the discussion with so many disclaimers.
Pretty much, I'm pretty sure they even acknowledged that consoles have their place.

Yup, even apologized for it for no real reason the next week because so many people seemed to take it as a slight against consoles.

Vinny earned a promotion from producer to producter only when he started playing Factorio.

Speaking of: Vinny, if you're still here are we going to get a check in video of your Factorio?

Myggen

Watching the Dark Souls III video now, good stuff.

Feeling some serious Souls fatigue though, so probably not picking up this game. Didn't know that Vinny knew that much about the lore, but it shouldn't surprise me.

And when you look at the results, Nintendo's concern was apparently unwarranted. Maybe one day that concern will be warranted, but it's not today or any time in the near future.

Given the demographics that nintendo typically tries for (mostly family friendly stuff, parents going with Nintendo because it's a safe bet for their kids), if this machine doesn't bring some of that crowd back to nintendo then, yeah, they're pretty fucked. They can't afford another Wii U misfire and they've watched the Japanese market slowly shift away from portable consoles to mobile in such a way that if they don't act now they're likely to lose even more ground to the japanese mobile market.

Maybe in the states there's a hunger for consoles but A) that hunger apparently doesn't include nintendo consoles at the moment and B) the mobile market concerns that Nintendo has in japan are concerns that they are starting to have about the west as well.

If they wait for the "future" or "one day" to happen they're liable to completely fuck things up. Hence why they keep trying to stay relevant with that demographic so as to not lose them completely.

Tubobutts

Watching the Dark Souls III video now, good stuff.

Feeling some serious Souls fatigue though, so probably not picking up this game. Didn't know that Vinny knew that much about the lore, but it shouldn't surprise me.
I want a Vinny explains Souls lore feature. And then a Vinny reads all in game and out of game Elder Scrolls lore and explains that feature.

I feel like you're interpreting their conversation on the beastcast a few weeks back as a complete dismissal of consoles.

Not really. I don't exactly remember what was said, I'm not really interpreting that specific conversation at all. I'm more referring to all of their collective sentiment - this shock that there was still a market in middle america for games not named Minecraft and Clash of Clans.

Myggen

Not really. I don't exactly remember what was said, I'm not really interpreting that specific conversation at all. I'm more referring to all of their collective sentiment - this shock that there was still a market in middle america for games not named Minecraft and Clash of Clans.

I mean, that's not very accurate.

And when GBEast starts talking about how consoles are almost irrelevant (or whatever that topic was a couple weeks back)... I don't know if they realize the bubble they're in.

Wow their Dark Souls 3 footage looks really nice. It's... weird to see it running at 60 for some reason.

Here's hoping Fromsoft figures out what the hell is up with the PC version, because if it's an HDMI problem that's a dealbreaker.

yami4ct

Kinda looks like they are actively breaking it, too. Posts from this week:
https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=198711237&postcount=1322
https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=198505621&postcount=1320

That game got away with murder and I'm not sure why.

It gets aways with it, honestly, because it didn't really sell and once the few games press people paying attention to it moved on after a week, nobody cared. Only people playing now are pretty much just PS+ folks, and no one is going to report on an old game a bunch of people got for free.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It gets aways with it, honestly, because it didn't really sell and once the few games press people paying attention to it moved on after a week, nobody cared. Only people playing now are pretty much just PS+ folks, and no one is going to report on an old game a bunch of people got for free.
You know, that's a really good explanation. It was a gaming press darling but they move on to the next game before any promised updates were supposed to hit.
SteamSpy has it at 14k owners. Not enough of a base for any real backlash. PS+ users will just delete it if they have a problem. Still sucks.

Jintor

It's so weird. I saw it at bitsummit and it looked great. They've been working on it for yonks. Then it came out and... Eh. Didn't have that spark. Not enough character that felt "real" and not just like disposable cruft. And a fifth campaign option that just sits there.

Even if they released it tomorrow, I don't know that if even bother going back to play it

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Geez, you weren't kidding. Not even 20.000 sales on Steam. That's rough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom