• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Every time Jeff (and even Vinny) talks about how shocked everyone was that the general public ended up wanting new consoles in 2013, I completely disagree. Maybe its just because they're in the bay area, but I never got the impression that suburban metro-detroit was done with consoles and ready to go all PC or whatever. And when GBEast starts talking about how consoles are almost irrelevant (or whatever that topic was a couple weeks back)... I don't know if they realize the bubble they're in.

The Giant Bomb bubble is definitely a thing. In some cases I think they end up being mislead by American industry contacts who aren't impartial. I remember in 2013 Brad posting in here that we were making too big a deal of the PS4 power advantage. And of course there was Patrick leading the Sony Too bullshit brigade.

Myggen

Man, that is an olddddd reference. I think it was and old PAX or something where the little paper card they had for me said Producter? Has to be a picture somewhere.

Seeing as the Bufu reference is 7 or 8 years old at this point, doesn't surprise me that it is a reference even people in here have forgotten.

Gurrry

Every time Jeff (and even Vinny) talks about how shocked everyone was that the general public ended up wanting new consoles in 2013, I completely disagree. Maybe its just because they're in the bay area, but I never got the impression that suburban metro-detroit was done with consoles and ready to go all PC or whatever. And when GBEast starts talking about how consoles are almost irrelevant (or whatever that topic was a couple weeks back)... I don't know if they realize the bubble they're in.

I have to agree. I have tons of friends who id consider gamers, but arent hardcore enough to go buy a bad ass pc. They mainly want to buy macs and ipads and do all their gaming on consoles.

I think consoles will still be a thing until that generation dies off, or becomes disinterested in gaming.

Although, ill have to say, that email from the teacher on the bombcast this week talking about how the kids think that consoles are "for old people" and exclusively play clash of clans on ipads is a scary fucking future.

Myggen

Isn't it working?

Not for me at least.

You should try making actual arguments instead of dismissing any criticism you disagree with as "fanboy" wars.

Nah. It was warranted in the Shu discussion, and the over the top reaction at the console discussion on the Beastcast was very much a fanboy reaction. The email they read as feedback was warranted criticism, but the stuff you saw in the comments and in the GAF thread of that episode was very Console War Gamespot forum.

Watching the Dark Souls III video now, good stuff.

Feeling some serious Souls fatigue though, so probably not picking up this game. Didn't know that Vinny knew that much about the lore, but it shouldn't surprise me.

I was kind of feeling the same way, but the footage I've seen so far has gotten me more excited. The size of the environments and the possibility of exploring has me a lot more interested right now. That's one thing BB kind of missed out on. It just felt so much more linear.

Strax

Man, people in BvS threads are ascending to new levels of hate even tho most of them have not seen the movie. There is whole thread about Zack Snyder being terrible director because some time in the last 3 years he watched a youtube video about a kill count in Batman movies. I've never seen so many people hoping a movie is terrible.

With that said I saw it yesterday.

Its bloated, has strange pacing/editing and Lois Lane could be written out without missing much and same goes for the Daily Planet. Every Superhero casting is great but Eisenberg steals the show, fight scenes are really good and the music would be called iconic if it were in a better movie.

Solid 6 out of 10.

Man, people in BvS threads are ascending to new levels of hate even tho most of them have not seen the movie. There is whole thread about Zack Snyder being terrible director because some time in the last 3 years he watched a youtube video about a kill count in Batman movies. I've never seen so many people hoping a movie is terrible.

Its bloated, has strange pacing/editing and Lois Lane could be written out without missing much and same goes for the Daily Planet. Every Superhero casting is great but Eisenberg steals the show, fight scenes are really good and the music would be called iconic if it were in a better movie.

Solid 6 out of 10.

The music is probably some of the best parts of the movie(except for that scene with Luthor walking down the hall, that was cheesy). I had to bow out of that thread when I just kept getting the same responses of people not seeing the movie yet but completely flipping out about the smallest of issues the movie has.

You should try making actual arguments instead of dismissing any criticism you disagree with as "fanboy" wars.
Most of the discussion that came from that section on the beastcast was fanboy nonsense. The discussion on the podcast was entirely reasonable yet people felt the need to rush to the defense of consoles for no reason other than perceiving what GBeast said as an insult.

pizzacat

Banned
GwG is good this month even though I've played all of these games, but I need a replay of Wolf for the upcoming season 2 right telltale

Right

Curufinwe

Whenever they talk about people being surprised I'm pretty sure they're talking about the business side of it. The companies seem to keep thinking this will be the last gen for consoles and either consoles will be built to keep being updated or mobile will just take over.

Unless PSVR flops hard I think Sony will keep revising and improving it, and supported newer versions with more powerful hardware.

There might not be room for three hardware makers next decade but the PS is integral to Sony's future and incremental upgrades can only do so much. In 2009 it was fashionable to predict the end of consoles and assume streaming services like OnLive were the future. PS Now works well enough for a regular console game, but now we have the VR era starting and that's not going to work without a box ensuring a lag free, 60-120 fps experience.

Curufinwe

Still boggles my mind that so many people are so pissed off they haven't put up Knack of all games.

At the PS4 launch Polygon were sure Killzone would be on PS+ within a few months. Hardly the only thing they were wrong about it, but it's funny to me that 28 months later there's still no sign of it.

Solid 6 out of 10.

I don't think it's crazy to read those comments about "manslaughter, not murder" and say Snyder doesn't understand Batman. Tim Burton certainly didn't. The movie can still be good but have shitty ooc Batman. I mean, it's probably not, but I haven't seen it.

The Giant Bomb bubble is definitely a thing. In some cases I think they end up being mislead by American industry contacts who aren't impartial. I remember in 2013 Brad posting in here that we were making too big a deal of the PS4 power advantage. And of course there was Patrick leading the Sony Too bullshit brigade.

totally

Minecraft Story Mode!

Three new chapters because that's a good use of Telltale's time! please fucking kill me

Also DS3 looks super pretty but man there's no way in hell I'm touching that game on PC. The crashes just seem to happen randomly, there's not even a warning. Imagine that shit happening in the middle of a boss you've been struggling against for the last hour or two.

I don't think it's crazy to read those comments about "manslaughter, not murder" and say Snyder doesn't understand Batman. Tim Burton certainly didn't. The movie can still be good but have shitty ooc Batman. I mean, it's probably not, but I haven't seen it.

At least they're on decent stuff to complain about now. At first they were all focusing on probably two of the easiest explained things in the movie and acting like it was the most egregious travesty.

pizzacat

Banned
Hey if Vinny is still here what is your opinion on Rubik the rubics cube cartoon

1.jpg

Myggen

Three new chapters because that's a good use of Telltale's time! please fucking kill me

Also DS3 looks super pretty but man there's no way in hell I'm touching that game on PC. The crashes just seem to happen randomly, there's not even a warning. Imagine that shit happening in the middle of a boss you've been struggling against for the last hour or two.

There's still some time to release in the West, so let's hope for a day one patch or something.

hamchan

Solid 6 out of 10.

Well yeah, Snyder citing a Batman kill count video on youtube to support his creative decisions in this badly received movie doesn't make him look good.

Well yeah, Snyder citing a Batman kill count video on youtube to support his creative decisions in this badly received movie doesn't make him look good.

He also compares his death count to the death count in Force Awakens confirming that he doesn't understand at all what people don't like about it.

Renpatsu

At the PS4 launch Polygon were sure Killzone would be on PS+ within a few months. Hardly the only thing they were wrong about it, but it's funny to me that 28 months later there's still no sign of it.
Given how relatively few and far between their high profile first party titles have been and how they're still the reigning console manufacturer I can imagine Sony holding on to those games for some time until they absolutely have to.

AngryMoth

I mean to be fair sony did set that precedent last gen with ps+ titles. I remember there were some full price games going up like 6 months after release. Tomb Raider was one I think

Curufinwe

Wasn't that whole console/PC discussion on the Beastcast specifically about how they personally feel about it and not about industry trends?.

The actual Vinny quote is "it's really tough to be a console exclusive gamer". Now that's not him describing his personal experience because he mainly plays on PC. So it's projection.

The bubble part comes in because so many console only gamers don't know or don't care that multiplatform games usually run much better on PC. They don't find it tough in the slightest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom