• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gibraltar: Spain warns Britain ‘the party’s over’ and threatens to cut off airspace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikael

The "rightful owner" talk is stupid, but the original Gibraltar's inhabitants were outright expelled from their homes since they did not want to sign an alliegance to the British crown, latter to be replaced by colonists that (surprise!) really want Gibraltar to keep being a UK territory. This is hardly a black and white issue.

But the Spanish 'stole' it from Morocco.

Morocco didn't existed back then, unlike Spain. The Moroccan state was born way latter.

Rourkey

This war talk is stupid. Nothing of that is going to happen nor is being given the slightest of the thinking.

995135_345762695554004_1958172266_n.jpg

DJ_XMX

Wow never thought Id see a thread in neogaf about my home town!! lolol guess the news is spreading fast lol btw am from gibraltar :) i dont go over to spain much but I did see the 7 hours queues .... crazy i tell you

SteveWD40

The clue is in the name, I think Instigator was just trolling, that or his grasp on geopolitics is in line with a 5 year old.

TCRS

Banned
So where is it in this story? Because right now I'm under the impression people dismiss all criticism of Gibraltar based on little, which is pretty ignorant. It's already full of "We're gonna take our your navy" and "Your economy is shit, that's why you focus on nationalism*" talk.

*Which is ironic, given the UK's nationalist tendencies and the popularity of lunatics like UKIP.

Eh? It's part of an ongoing spat between the UK and Spain based on Spain's claim over Gibraltar. Why the hell else would they threaten to close the air space if it was merely an issue with gambling or whatever?

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
Hey guys, lets not fight, this is a complicated issue wrapped in nationalism for both us british people and the spanish people.

I believe, that the fact that there is any argument at all, is a reflection of our governments, politicians and diplomats not doing their jobs correctly, it is not a fault of the british or spanish people, so please lets not be pissy with one another.

As for the issue of colonies in the 21st century, I believe it is too complicated an issue to come to a simple conclusion, without appealing to emotions and nationalism, there is several hundred years of treaties, law, culture and history, on both sides, and it is disingenuous to sum up the issue with tabloid quotes or statements.

As Spain and the UK (Thus Gibraltar) are part of Europe, I wish the people would see themselves as part of a greater European culture, but European nationalism is (quite rightly) abysmal at the moment :(

As a note, I'm not sure how a treaty created in 1713 could give or deny airspace, as no aircraft existed at the time.

BanGy.nz

Banned
These weird issues that originated back when everyone had an empire are great, they're so much fun to watch (unless it's 1982)

Sylver

Banned
As a note, I'm not sure how a treaty created in 1713 could give or deny airspace, as no aircraft existed at the time.

The treaty only gives UK the port water not up 3 milles over Gibraltar (and UK) claims they own. The rest is spanish thing, the problem itself it's not airspace the real problem is fishing water where Gibraltar put some spike cement rocks there to not let our fishermen work.
The custom control and make people pay 50€ to come in and out is to help them, so Gibraltar is not EU neither Schengen territory member.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Smuggling is a real problem there and Gibraltar should be Spanish anyway.

Why? That is absurd. It has been English for years and years and years. The 'rightful owners' that people talk about are dead. Their children are dead. Their children's children are dead. The people of Gibraltar are, by and large, British and identify as such. Do you want to uproot these people because three hundred years ago it used to belong to Spain?

kami_sama

Hey guys, lets not fight, this is a complicated issue wrapped in nationalism for both us british people and the spanish people.

I believe, that the fact that there is any argument at all, is a reflection of our governments, politicians and diplomats not doing their jobs correctly, it is not a fault of the british or spanish people, so please lets not be pissy with one another.

As for the issue of colonies in the 21st century, I believe it is too complicated an issue to come to a simple conclusion, without appealing to emotions and nationalism, there is several hundred years of treaties, law, culture and history, on both sides, and it is disingenuous to sum up the issue with tabloid quotes or statements.

As Spain and the UK (Thus Gibraltar) are part of Europe, I wish the people would see themselves as part of a greater European culture, but European nationalism is (quite rightly) abysmal at the moment :(

I won't deny that as of right now, Gibraltar is British, and I don't want to change that.
Bet there's other issues, like smuggling, laundering of money, and environmental damage that are due to Gibraltar's government.

Walshicus

Smuggling is a real problem there and Gibraltar should be Spanish anyway.
Gibraltans don't think so.

The problem with the Spanish position is that it's inflexible. The Spanish system can't accommodate the reality on the ground. Not with Gibraltar and not with its constituent nations (read Basque Country and Catalonia).

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Rather than send in the gunboats I hope the UK government starts charging £50 for every passenger traveling between the UK and Spain, it would completely destroy what is left of the Spanish economy

i'd be happier with a £50 fine for playing salsa with an open window.

decaf

As the only Gibraltarian on GAF, I fully support giving Gib back to Spain as long as they give back all their overseas territories. And give Gibraltar back to Morocco.

moggio

Banned
Also how much of the Spanish economy is reliant on British tourists going there and getting pissed up?

Probably 97% of it.

Way to cut off your nose to spite your face, Spain.

kami_sama

I researched a little more and found that there are some islands in Africa's coast that are overseas territories. And 3 islands in the Pacific.
There's also the western sahara, but as of right now it's Morocco territory.
I don't count Ceuta and Melilla or The Canary Islands though.

decaf

Also how much of the Spanish economy is reliant on British tourists going there and getting pissed up?

Probably 97% of it.

Way to cut off your nose to spite your face, Spain.

Gib is more important for military purposes and American gambling companies than tourism at the mo.

Where exactly in this story is Spain demanding Gibraltar back?

nowhere,spanish gob ( as bad at is ) only wants gibraltar gob to play with the legal rules,they are a bunch of pirates on every sense

i dont want gibaltrar back,i dont care but when they use thar particular colony to do nasty things on spanish territory we got a problem here

hoos30

Economy in a funk? Find a foreign boogey man and whip up some nationalist pride!

It's amazing that there are still politicians that try to do this, but even more amazing that it sometimes actually works.

So yeah how much of this is just the Spanish government trying to distract everyone from the fact their economy is absolute shite ala Argentina?

Just seems convenient that countries are suddenly stirring up this nationalistic pride during their crippling economic woes.

why some of you compare this with the falklands? this is apples to oranges and a very stupid thing to do

moggio

Banned
nowhere,spanish gob ( as bad at is ) only wants gibraltar gob to play with the legal rules,they are a bunch of pirates on every sense

i dont want gibaltrar back,i dont care but when they use thar particular colony to do nasty things on spanish territory we got a problem here

Spain's corrupt government is just bitter it can't get a slice of the pie (the pie being one filled with doubloons and cocaine).

Did the Spanish complain about Gibraltar when Wellington was kicking Napoleon out of Spain?

Probably, their government wasn't the most coherent at the time - they were refusing to make wellington generalissimo of the spanish armies at a time they were based in cadiz.

I think Wellington had far more help from the partisans then he ever did from the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom