• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gibraltar: Spain warns Britain ‘the party’s over’ and threatens to cut off airspace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaworu

Then again, although this should be the main issue with Gibraltar, it's not like this is why the Spanish government is raising a stink right now.

I know, is just a futile movement from our government to divert the attention from their corruption scandals and the general issues of the country. But that does not mean that the Gibraltarean local authorities are playing it fair.

Kapsama

I love how people argue about who owns rightfully what, like it's not determined by power and influence or some sort of other leverage.

I know, is just a futile movement from our government to divert the attention from their corruption scandals and the general issues of the country. But that does not mean that the Gibraltarean local authorities are playing it fair.

thats the problem,spanish gob are full of shit on a lot of things..this is not one of them

decaf

Transplanted population by military might, at a strategic site, in legal gray zone with an exagerated sense of entitlement and self-righteousnous, British of course?

Yeah.

Don't know what you think you know dude, but the Gibraltarian population is far from just "British." It's been a bloody long time since the English took it over, and I'm proud of coming from Spanish, British and Italian heritage.

Acorn

Argh, why do these countries always start bitching about disputed land when a Tory is in power?

Edit -
images
<---Camerons wet dream.

Vlodril

For the most part, they do. The issue is the local government being dicks and/or making money with the kind of stuff that's forbidden elsewhere (ie: not so long ago they enacted a number of measures to prosecute money laundering, bringing Gibraltar up to EU standards, but of course, that doesn't stop them from being a tax haven or providing the mechanisms to launder that money elsewhere). Then again, although this should be the main issue with Gibraltar, it's not like this is why the Spanish government is raising a stink right now.

Gibraltar is not part of the Schengen space, so both Spain and Gibraltar are free to be as much of a dick to each other as they please when it comes to borders.

Really? Why you do not need a passport to get into and out of it then? I thought that was a schengen thing(i am probably grossly misinformed).

dalin80

Banned
Transplanted population by military might, at a strategic site, in legal gray zone with an exagerated sense of entitlement and self-righteousnous, British of course?

Yeah.

no, yes, no, no and utter tripe.

Maybe a bit of research before the Anglophobe rant?

Yeah.

So the people of Gibraltar are actively oppressing the Spanish on Gibraltar?

What news of the Gibraltar Bush War?

no, yes, no, no and utter tripe.

Maybe a bit of research before the Anglophobe rant?

Not anglophobe enough. I used too many Anglo-Saxon words. For shame.

The sovereignty of Gilbraltar appertain ultimately to the Spanish people. It was purloined and necessitate immediate retrocession to its proper possessor.

There, it's better.

moggio

Banned

The sovereignty of Gilbraltar appertain ultimately to the Spanish people. It was purloined and necessitate immediate retrocession to its proper possessor.

There, it's better.

You're so wrong it's like, "how much more wrong could this be?"

Trick_GSF

Banned

There, it's better.

The emoting is strong in this one.

Jezbollah

I am embarrassed for those Spaniards who are going through a tough time at the moment.

Never thought they would have stooped to the level of the Argentinians in terms of trying to distract the media away from what the real life problems really are. Sad.

It's kind of funny how the Spanish government always brings up Gibraltar whenever they want to cover up something.

The Prime Minister is accused of corruption by the party treasurer? No problem, just blame Gibraltar and divert the press's attention.

The Spanish government says the current problem is due to Gibraltar's creation of an artificial reef. The spanish fishermen who are being 'bullied' by Gibraltar and forbidden from fishing in Gibraltar waters are always the same couple of fishermen, paid by Algeciras to cause trouble, because the Algeciras mayor dislikes both Gibraltar and La Linea.

And Gibraltar is not a drug hole that hurts Spain. A lot of La Linea citizens have honest jobs in Gibraltar, which are much more stable and pay reliably, unlike the Spanish people who worked in La Linea and were owned months of pay by the government.

I don't see why Spain thinks charging people £50 to enter/leave Spain/Gibraltar is a good idea considering the amount of Gibraltarians that spend money in Spanish supermarkets and shopping centres. It's one of the few sources of income the Andalucia region has.

Edit:
Not so many people with honest jobs Cadiz is zone of Spain with the highest unployement ratio in 41,62,% [April 2013]

And that number would be even higher if no Spanish people worked in Gibraltar.

Sylver

Banned
And Gibraltar is not a drug hole that hurts Spain. A lot of La Linea citizens have honest jobs in Gibraltar, which are much more stable and pay reliably, unlike the Spanish people who worked in La Linea and were owned months of pay by the government.

Not so many people with honest jobs Cadiz is zone of Spain with the highest unployement ratio in 41,62,% [April 2013]

Cádiz, Jaén y Huelva fueron las provincias con mayor tasa de desempleo en el primer trimestre, con un 41,62, 40,85 y 40,67 por ciento, respectivamente. En el resto de provincias, la tasa de paro en Almería ascendió al 37,11 por ciento, Granada (36,99 por ciento), Málaga (36,71 por ciento), Córdoba, con un 33,39 por ciento y Sevilla, con una tasa de 33,10 por ciento

I am embarrassed for those Spaniards who are going through a tough time at the moment.

Never thought they would have stooped to the level of the Argentinians in terms of trying to distract the media away from what the real life problems really are. Sad.

sorry dude,but are out of touch..some right press and lunatics liked this thing...nobody else...this is nothing like the falklands thing,i dont know why some of you insist in bring this to the table

Vlodril

It's kind of funny how the Spanish government always brings up Gibraltar whenever they want to cover up something.

The Prime Minister is accused of corruption by the party treasurer? No problem, just blame Gibraltar and divert the press's attention.

The Spanish government says the current problem is due to Gibraltar's creation of an artificial reef. The spanish fishermen who are being 'bullied' by Gibraltar and forbidden from fishing in Gibraltar waters are always the same couple of fishermen, paid by Algeciras to cause trouble, because the Algeciras mayor dislikes both Gibraltar and La Linea.

I don't see why Spain thinks charging people £50 to enter/leave Spain/Gibraltar is a good idea considering the amount of Gibraltarians that spend money in Spanish supermarkets and shopping centres. It's one of the few sources of income the Andalucia region has.

Edit:

And that number would be even higher if no Spanish people worked in Gibraltar.

Good post. Both people in La linea and gib basically live of each other. Doing harm to one will do the same to the other. i have seen noone here saying anything bad about gib.

Sylver

Banned
sorry dude,but are out of touch..some right press and lunatics liked this thing...nobody else...this is nothing like the falklands thing,i dont know why some of you insist in bring this to the table

Isn't the same but Las Islas Malvinas should be argentinian islands.

demolitio

Gotta love governments and their diversion tactics. They're always funny and rarely work (outside of The Falklands War I guess which still didn't divert people for long).

I fear stupid shit like this will be pretty popular as more economies suffer and more governments screw up on about 1000 different issues but then hope to cover it all up with one diversion issue. When all else fails, appeal to nationalism! Luckily, it usually fails to make a big impact.

"Suddenly give up any land you've had for hundreds of years during the imperialist era while ignoring that we also have lands that others could have just as much of a claim to as we do yours. Pick and choose your history folks!"

Sylver

Banned
I know that, but did the Inuits give their OK to Russia to sell their lands to another country? I don't think so.

We can ask you this from Catalogne Nord (Roussillon, le Vallespir, le Conflent, la Cerdagne et le Capcir), Spain sold to France...

SteveWD40

Nope. Inhabitants are British and want to remain British.

Added to which they were never Argentinian, they were British before Argentina existed. The current population of Argentina are descended from Europeans largely and have no claim as "indigenous" either. Other than them being "a bit near us" they have no claim at all.

But we all know they are just using them as a distraction from their own issues and to try and get a cut of the oil.

Ikael

Well, I for one feel the very opposite: these news are having more mileage on this forum than on the Spanish news cycle. Very few of my fellow Spaniards are falling from that crap, and I am actually proud of that. And as many Spanish gaffers have pointed out, the intention of our goverment of using this as a smoke courtain is damn transparent. We are still far from Argentina, me thinks.

The thing that irks me with the whole Gibraltar affair is that there are many legitimate issues regarding its status as a tax haven, a military base and a smuggler asylum that always get overlooked because of nationalistic penis waving. That, and that the British always know how to play with our complexes. Just shout "Franco!" from the atop of Gibraltar and you will have us fighting and bickering each other like imbeciles. This article sums all of these things very well, me thinks.

TCRS

Banned
mfw the UK is actually sending gunboats:

British navy warships to visit Gibraltar amid diplomatic row

Exclusive: Britain has announced a rapid reaction force of warships will visit Gibraltar on its way to naval exercises in the Mediterranean, even as the fierce diplomatic row over the disputed territory looked set to continue.(...)

Naval chiefs stressed the visit by the nine-vessel Response Force Task Group was part of a long-planned exercise, and not in response to the diplomatic row.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...s-to-visit-Gibraltar-amid-diplomatic-row.html

lol

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The UK should just shut up and let the Spanish government roll on its own piss and misery since nobody in Spain is giving a flying fuck about this "crisis". That said, if you guys feel like spending a few millions on fuel, well...

Well, I for one feel the very opposite: these news are having more mileage on this forum than on the Spanish news cycle. Very few of my fellow Spaniards are falling from that crap, and I am actually proud of that. And as many Spanish gaffers have pointed out, the intention of our goverment of using this as a smoke courtain is damn transparent. We are still far from Argentina, me thinks.

The thing that irks me with the whole Gibraltar affair is that there are many legitimate issues regarding its status as a tax haven, a military base and a smuggler asylum that always get overlooked because of nationalistic penis waving. That, and that the British always know how to play with our complexes. Just shout "Franco!" from the atop of Gibraltar and you will have us fighting and bickering each other like imbeciles. This article sums all of these things very well, me thinks.

Excellent post. Yesterday I was in a birthday party with a lot of friends and we laughed about the Gibraltar story, its kind of pathetic. And I have to remark again that our government and national companies use Gibraltar in shady economic movements, for example its kind of funny how from time to time you'll have an article in a mainstream newspaper about the tax havens, but they'll never mention Gibraltar and Andorra -_-.

Smuggling is a real problem there and Gibraltar should be Spanish anyway.

nowhere,spanish gob ( as bad at is ) only wants gibraltar gob to play with the legal rules,they are a bunch of pirates on every sense

i dont want gibaltrar back,i dont care but when they use thar particular colony to do nasty things on spanish territory we got a problem here

It's one of the worlds great tragedies that the whole 3 square miles of mighty gibraltar with it's population of a small town is a malevolent, overbearing entity that's oppressing the spanish people.

GIBRALTAR MUST BE DESTROYED!

location_gibraltar_eucbqd4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom