• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Platy

Every time somebody asks me, "have you guys talked about marriage," I fight the urge to make them feel bad by saying, "No, I'm sure we're going to break up before that ever happens."

There is a brazilian poetry that has the last verse that badly translates to :

And I can say that love I had :
That is not immortal, since it is a flame
But let it be infinite while it lasts

edit :
a better translation

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Only one person in my generation in my family is married. And that was just a few months ago. I don't think my family cares.

Philia

GirlGaf... I REALLY REALLY REALLY hate when THIS happens out of damn blue. >.<

tumblr_lp1m7dyDFW1qd7fgzo1_500.gif

Panty, pants, blanket, chair... towel... OMFG when does this fucking end. Cold water to the rescue but I got loads of laundry to do. And a fucking headache now.

/random rant

apricot

I'm married but don't want children... I can't discuss it with anyone besides my husband, as I just get the whole "you'll change your mind" rap (or worse, shock and horror from my family and in-laws) -__-

I havent really gotten that(the still single thing that it), and if I had it was more general inquisition since i dont let my family know all too much about my college life or life in general...

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Whoa, I'm way late, but happy belated birthday Emitan!

I wanted to ask if anyone else does nail art and if so where do you get your inspiration? Besides cutepolish on youtube I really love this Korean blog... her designs are just on another level: http://luuthienluv.blog.me/

I just did some nail art for this week with a Valentine's theme.

I don't do it that often, only on special occasions really, because it's quite time consuming. Lack of practice = I'm not that great at it. Also usually I keep my nails a lot longer than that, but I broke one while cleaning on the weekend and had to cut them all, d'oh.

I want to attempt this design for Easter:

Though I think it would look better with rounded nail tips, to give more of an egg shape!

I used to love painting my nails but I can't have them done for work :( I've never really looked at sites. Usually I'll just go to the $2 shop and pick up some cheap nail art and work from there. Thanks for the site though! Some of those designs are rad!

Hear, hear. I'm still not sold on kids. I sometimes think of raising a child, a little girl or boy, and teaching them to tie their shoe laces and I smile. I really want that. But then I see other peoples children and realize that creation of a child is the creation of person, not a toy. Someone who contributes to - in their own whole and way - this world. I'm not sure I'd be a very good parent. More than that, I want to be about me and advance my career. I want, I want, I want and I want to achieve a lot in this life. Every time I think of kids I feel as if they hamper that. Beyond that many assume because they have kids they will have a movie like perfect relationship with them. My relationship with my parents is crap.

I think there's something nice about bringing someone into the world and helping them learn about it. Plus on another level it'd be cool to see how the mixture of genes turns out. I do want to keep career focused, and travel a fair bit, but I don't think having a kid would weigh down my life. On the contrary, it would probably add a lot. Not for another 10 years at least though.

Kazerei

Banned
GirlGaf... I REALLY REALLY REALLY hate when THIS happens out of damn blue. >.<

tumblr_lp1m7dyDFW1qd7fgzo1_500.gif

Panty, pants, blanket, chair... towel... OMFG when does this fucking end. Cold water to the rescue but I got loads of laundry to do. And a fucking headache now.

/random rant

I know that feel sis. And it always seems to happen at the worst times.

Philia

Get on birth control and it's like clockwork!

Don't even get me started on birth control. I get the side effects of going insane for a few days to heavier flow to excessive migraines. Fuck that noise, it doesn't even help regulate it either. It just makes it worse onset and offset. I tried to explore so many options and just be even more frustrated by the mix match dosage that my body seem to have issues with (overdosage is common even when I take it timely).

Basically my body just... function a few days slower than normal if that makes any sense. Its legit retarded.

Emitan

I think I'm allergic to work. I always feel sick at work and fine at home. Today I've felt lightheaded and dizzy and my stomach was bothering me so much I had to buy some pepto bismol

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So ... when the GirlGAF orgy meeting will happen ?

It should happen in the Bay Area, and then afterwards I can give everyone a work tour in exchange for photo coverage of the event.

Ok, I may be talked into just giving the tour part. But doesn't hurt to ask I guess! ;P

Don't even get me started on birth control. I get the side effects of going insane for a few days to heavier flow to excessive migraines. Fuck that noise, it doesn't even help regulate it either. It just makes it worse onset and offset. I tried to explore so many options and just be even more frustrated by the mix match dosage that my body seem to have issues with (overdosage is common even when I take it timely).

Basically my body just... function a few days slower than normal if that makes any sense. Its legit retarded.

Aren't there birth control options out there that get rid of your periods completely? Like that arm implant thingie you put in for 5 years or something.

Anastasia

This is just a small selection, but the truth is that there were many great designers in the 90s who made a huge impact on the fashion world. Something worth taking a look at (NSFW):

http://90srunway.tumblr.com/

My favorite designer of all is Ann Demeulemeester, and she did a lot of great work in the 90s:

http://www.anndemeulemeester.be/history.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DONJCsm_5rg

Here are some archived runway shows:

http://www.youtube.com/user/fashiontv/videos?query=flashback

I could talk about this forever, but I think there's already enough here to look into.

leadbelly

Banned
lol

They look kind of real. It almost looks like you can eat them. That could be a new thing actually. Wear your lunch out. That way when you feel a bit peckish, you can always eat items of clothing.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me

I honestly wish I had never gone on the pill now. Sure, it helps with some things. But last year I tried to stop taking it because I had a hunch it was making me tired and nauseated all the time.

Well, I stopped taking it at the beginning of June and just one month later I started to get pimples... (I never got pimples. Like, my skin was bomb-proof, I could have used Crisco as a moisturizer). Then more pimples. Then I ended up with the worst case of cystic acne I could have imagined. My whole face hurt, I was super depressed, didn't want to leave the house, didn't want to work, had to pile on the makeup just to look passable. So I went back on the pill, of course, because no matter what else I did it wouldn't go away. It took months after I started again for the acne to go away, and it was another 6 months before my skin was free of red spots enough that I could leave the house without makeup on. I'm lucky I got away with only one small scar and a couple broken capillaries.

So now I don't know what to do. Guess I'm stuck with the pill for a loooong while... because I will NOT go through that again. I'd never felt worse in my entire life. I wish I could go back and tell my past self never to go on it.

lol

They look kind of real. It almost looks like you can eat them. That could be a new thing actually. Wear your lunch out. That way when you feel a bit peckish, you can always eat items of clothing.

lol indeed.

"This Commercial Advertisement brought to you by the 1980s Rocket Necklaces..."

I want the mac n cheese ones.

A.E Suggs

I never thought about it until now, but I seem to be the only person that actually post in girl-gaf that doesn't have kids. I think I'm the only one in black-gaf with kids as well :0. I come to the conclusion people must be either A. Scared to have children, B. Trying to be one of the cool people that won't have kids because family want/ask for them or C. Waiting until their 30's 40's or to finish school to have kids. Either way I feel lonely :(

My parents kept asking me how I was single after being in college.

Well if you go to a university its kinda hard to be single. That's If you actually want a relationship that is.

I honestly wish I had never gone on the pill now. Sure, it helps with some things. But last year I tried to stop taking it because I had a hunch it was making me tired and nauseated all the time.

Well, I stopped taking it at the beginning of June and just one month later I started to get pimples... (I never got pimples. Like, my skin was bomb-proof, I could have used Crisco as a moisturizer). Then more pimples. Then I ended up with the worst case of cystic acne I could have imagined. My whole face hurt, I was super depressed, didn't want to leave the house, didn't want to work, had to pile on the makeup just to look passable. So I went back on the pill, of course, because no matter what else I did it wouldn't go away. It took months after I started again for the acne to go away, and it was another 6 months before my skin was free of red spots enough that I could leave the house without makeup on. I'm lucky I got away with only one small scar and a couple broken capillaries.

So now I don't know what to do. Guess I'm stuck with the pill for a loooong while... because I will NOT go through that again. I'd never felt worse in my entire life. I wish I could go back and tell my past self never to go on it.

Which pill? Did you ever discuss switching out for another? I find that a lot of women complain about the pill but don't realize there's several different pills.

One pill is just progestin.
The other is estrogen and progestin, also known as combination.

The latter can come in conventional 21 active pills and seven inactive pills or continuous dosing, 84 active pills and seven inactive (so only 4 periods a year instead of 12).

Then there is monophasic and multiphasic. Mono is the same amount of estrogen and progestin in every active pill. Multiphasic the amounts vary up until your inactive pills.

Then you have all the different brands.

I'm currently on the combo, multiphasic with a conventional dosage and the brand is TriNessa.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Which pill? Did you ever discuss switching out for another? I find that a lot of women complain about the pill but don't realize there's several different pills.

One pill is just progestin.
The other is estrogen and progestin, also known as combination.

The latter can come in conventional 21 active pills and seven inactive pills or continuous dosing, 84 active pills and seven inactive (so only 4 periods a year instead of 12).

Then there is monophasic and multiphasic. Mono is the same amount of estrogen and progestin in every active pill. Multiphasic the amounts vary up until your inactive pills.

Then you have all the different brands.

I'm currently on the combo, multiphasic with a conventional dosage and the brand is TriNessa.

I was on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen from age 16-18 but I had a lot of problems with breakthrough bleeding and painful periods while on it, so my doctor suggested Yasmin as it had been known (then) for it's amazing period-controlling powers... or something.

I've been on Yasmin since then. I have three weeks of pills and then one pill-free week for my period (no placebo pills).

For the first 2 years I was extremely happy with it, didn't have any problems or side effects. Afterward, though, I started getting more frequent headaches and was dealing with near constant fatigue (still am, actually). My doctor suggested I take medication for my sleeping problems which was not compatible with hormonal birth control. So after a talk with my husband I decided to stop the Yasmin and we'd use another form of birth control so I could give it a go with the medication. Well, the first month felt like a dream come true. My skin was amazing and I felt a lot better. But after the second month my face turned into a pool of grease and the cystic acne started popping up. I researched it... apparently this is a somewhat common occurrence when coming off the pill.

I've actually wanted to switch pills for a while after reading all the bad press that Yasmin has gotten. I take a lot of long haul flights and am very afraid of blood clots. :/ But after the whole debacle with stopping the Yasmin, I am totally terrified to change anything.

I'm in the process of switching doctors, I hope the new one is more knowledgeable than my last one was about birth control.

How do you like TriNessa? I looked it up, but it doesn't seem to be sold in Switzerland...

Zoe

Isn't Yasmin going through class action lawsuits right now?

I just get the cheapest mono type my pharmacy offers. It was Sprintec, but I guess with the new health care laws they bumped it up to Mono-Linyah this year.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
When I started taking Yasmin it was touted by tons of people as a miracle cure for bad periods and bad skin, and since I had painful periods I was all gung-ho about it when my doc suggested it. And if it was going to kill the occasional pimple then that was awesome, too. The bad press has mostly been recent.

I'd actually like to get off the pill completely and get on something more long-term because I don't want children (like an IUD). I guess when I talk to my new doctor I'm going to have to ask about the skin thing. I'm hoping that if I switch to a pill that has the same type of estrogen as Yasmin that the acne won't make a repeat appearance.

I never thought about it until now, but I seem to be the only person that actually post in girl-gaf that doesn't have kids. I think I'm the only one in black-gaf with kids as well :0. I come to the conclusion people must be either A. Scared to have children, B. Trying to be one of the cool people that won't have kids because family want/ask for them or C. Waiting until their 30's 40's or to finish school to have kids. Either way I feel lonely :(

You appear to have forgotten:

D) They're expensive
E) Biologically incapable of having children
F) Don't want children (not intended as a resistance movement, but just a personal decision)
G) Want to raise a family in a two-parent household, and there's no willing partner as of yet
H) Want to have a stable job where they get the benefits/time off/flexibility they need to have kids and raise them
I) Want to own their own home first

...I could go on.

Please don't slot us all into restrictive categories. It's awfully judgemental and not reflective of the current reality.

You appear to have forgotten:

D) They're expensive
E) Biologically incapable of having children
F) Don't want children (not intended as a resistance movement, but just a personal decision)
G) Want to raise a family in a two-parent household, and there's no willing partner as of yet
H) Want to have a stable job where they get the benefits/time off/flexibility they need to have kids and raise them
I) Want to own their own home first

...I could go on.

Please don't slot us all into restrictive categories. It's awfully judgemental and not reflective of the current reality.

All of those except E/F. Also I want to put off kids as late as possible. I'd want to get all of my partying/social life out of the way before my kids inevitably kill it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
All of those except E/F. Also I want to put off kids as late as possible. I'd want to get all of my partying/social life out of the way before my kids inevitably kill it.

Just don't wait too long, especially if you want more than one. Even with all the fertility assistance out there these days, it's often a lot harder to have kids in your mid to late 30s.

I still think late 20s is ideal to start, but I realize it's not a real option for many due to career needs and whatnot.

Just don't wait too long, especially if you want more than one. Even with all the fertility assistance out there these days, it's often a lot harder to have kids in your mid to late 30s.

I still think late 20s is ideal to start, but I realize it's not a real option for many due to career needs and whatnot.

It's easier than ever to have kids in your late 30s. My mom had me at 40. I don't want one any time soon.

I don't feel inclined to procreate, now adoption maybe.
It's easier than ever to have kids in your late 30s. My mom had me at 40. I don't want one any time soon.
Having children that late is more risky.
Not everyone is cool enough to have kids as a teenager.

Top Bottom