• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

I agree. It really bothers me how uptight people are about sex and nudity, and really we should be free to do whatever we want. But people you know finding out/ being stalked/ getting denied future opportunities/ whatever are all quite real possibilities. Honestly it kind of sounds fun. Stupid, but fun.

Fun, huh?

A.E Suggs

There is never a "I would never do this" but actualy a "It would require an obscene amount of money for me to do this" xD

Everyone has a price for everything

Speaking my words platy!

We are ALL judgmental to some extent, people who think that they aren't are just kidding themselves.

EDIT: Wasn't trying to add to the argument. just an observation, many people react so strongly to being called judgmental when in reality we are all a little bit depending on the topic.
I had this conversation with some people about 2 days ago about being judgmental. It was more like someone stopped me and pulled me to the side after I was judging someone.

I agree. It really bothers me how uptight people are about sex and nudity, and really we should be free to do whatever we want. But people you know finding out/ being stalked/ getting denied future opportunities/ whatever are all quite real possibilities. Honestly it kind of sounds fun. Stupid, but fun.

And again, the double standard is at play as I doubt many guys wold take much heat from it as girls would.

And again, the double standard is at play as I doubt many guys wold take much heat from it as girls would.

This may have been covered in How I Met Your Mother threads for "BEERCULES" episodes.

And, it's my experience that people "lose out on opportunities" or are "judged" not necessarily because of the content itself - but the attitude that it speaks to. The nonchalance, the lack of discretion...neither are attributes that an employer, for example, would look for in a prospective employee. Which is to say, a nude photo could harm your job prospects as much as posting racist commentary on your Facebook page.

leadbelly

Banned

Is it really something men feel inclined to do? I've never thought, "You know what I would really like to do? Take a picture of myself bending over and spreading my ass cheeks". Such a thing is completely foreign to a lot of men.

The original poster was asking why some women feel the need to do it. I assume he was asking that question because it was something completely foreign to him as well. I do see a different dynamic at play; men generally don't put on sexy lingerie or pose in some kind of sexy or provocative manner (although there are exceptions to the rule). I certainly haven't felt the need to upload naked pictures of myself to the internet anyway. It seems like a completely pointless thing to do.

However, having said that, there are men that seem to like to show off their muscles a lot. I wouldn't do that either because I think it is rather douchey thing to do. Fair enough if some men feel the need to do it, but I wouldn't want to do it myself. I wouldn't want to come across as a 'poser'.

In terms of it being a double standard: Although I feel how people react to it might be a little different, if male friends found pictures of me posing naked on the internet, I pretty much expect I would hear no end to it. I would be a laughing stock.

I also think taking pictures of yourself privately for a girlfriend is somewhat different and something I would do actually.

I was pulled over for the first time, still a bit shaken up. Turned out one of my headlights was burned out, got off with a warning. Definitely need to reevaluate my anxiety medication.

Emitan

I was pulled over for the first time, still a bit shaken up. Turned out one of my headlights was burned out, got off with a warning. Definitely need to reevaluate my anxiety medication.

Oh jeeze :(

I freaked out so much the first time I was pulled over. I had been driving in the country in the middle of nowhere so I sort of lost track of my speed.

A.E Suggs

Everybody gets one, unless your me of course. I got pulled over for having tinted windows which at the time I didn't know were illegal and he still gave me a ticket. Later on I learned from people in the city I got the ticket in that they don't believe in warnings. Ticket wasn't all that much so I didn't really care. I just had him take me to an ATM machine and I paid him there.

This may have been covered in How I Met Your Mother threads for "BEERCULES" episodes.

And, it's my experience that people "lose out on opportunities" or are "judged" not necessarily because of the content itself - but the attitude that it speaks to. The nonchalance, the lack of discretion...neither are attributes that an employer, for example, would look for in a prospective employee. Which is to say, a nude photo could harm your job prospects as much as posting racist commentary on your Facebook page.

Blade what's your av, I always forget to ask.

So my room mate got drunk again today and tried to fuck my boyfriend. On my phone and can't type much. I'm losing my shit at this house.

Do the three of you live together? Cause if not, just leave. Go move in with him or something. It seems like your roommate has been causing trouble for you for a while now. :(

Good luck.

Ashes

Banned

The reaction is perfectly normal, and it seems like you were stopped for legitimate reasons, and you got off lightly. Win. Win. Win.

Oh jeeze :(

I freaked out so much the first time I was pulled over. I had been driving in the country in the middle of nowhere so I sort of lost track of my speed.
Have to watch out for those speed traps.
Everybody gets one, unless your me of course. I got pulled over for having tinted windows which at the time I didn't know were illegal and he still gave me a ticket. Later on I learned from people in the city I got the ticket in that they don't believe in warnings. Ticket wasn't all that much so I didn't really care. I just had him take me to an ATM machine and I paid him there.
That sounds fishy.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Hair is finally getting some length on it but now the ends of my bangs are curling all weird :T
I had that issue when I was growing my hair out. Do you have a straightener of some kind? I've got that instyler thingy and I swear that is the best purchase I have ever made for my hair

Got two dresses today:

1979949.jpg

and

001c6b3d7c66ed48dffd60e850e9ee4a_best.jpg

Being smaller than 0 blows but I found some cute stuff none the less. Better than nothing.

Platy

Loved the striped one ... will make you look like a Tim Burton character =D

Also, talking about buying stuff ...

I FINALY found this !

and at a cheap price ! =D

My 15 year old sister told me I am too old to use it ... but fuck it I am totaly wearing a Miss Piggy piece of clothing =P

leadbelly

Banned
I don't know...

I've never thought of femininity as being inferior. I think a great expression of femininity is motherly-love. My mother was always the person I would turn to when I had problems. Sometimes you need that softness and warmth you get from a mother when growing up as a child. This was probably more apparent back in the days when men were perhaps a little more distant than they are now. Femininity has always been something to be respected.

Got two dresses today:

[.img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.svpply.com/large/1979949.jpg?1360479858[/img]

and

[.img]http://bim.shopstyle.com/pim/00/1c/001c6b3d7c66ed48dffd60e850e9ee4a_best.jpg[/img]

Being smaller than 0 blows but I found some cute stuff none the less. Better than nothing.

I really like the first dress.

I'll get some pics up once the shoes come in that I ordered. Got some new red toms and these:

TUK-A7828L__1.jpg

Hopefully they fit right.

I like the design very much, but it's not enough heel for my tastes.
I actually just got new shoes too, I felt a bit crazy because they're green but I figured why not :p

yBMY1JB.png

Zoe

I've been wearing minimalist shoes a lot lately. They probably won't help with my feet, but I'm hoping it will make high heels easier on my calves and shins.

leadbelly

Banned
Except if you are a dude and you cry or demonstrate any feelings you are a pussy

lol

You're basically boiling femininity down to essentially 'crying'. I'm not sure 'crying' is a feminine quality--but rather a consequence of a feminine quality. Outwardly expressing your feelings would be more accurate maybe.

Regardless of whether men who express a lot of emotion should or shouldn't be ridiculed, in that context it is more about a man expressing more effeminate traits as opposed to masculine. It doesn't really make it 'inferior' or 'superior' just different. I don't think showing emotion has ever been shunned by society (maybe by some), it is more overly expressing emotion. My personal opinion is that it stems from the idea that a man shouldn't show weakness. In one sense, the history of man has been quite bloody and violent. The showing of weakness could be seen as a bad quality in that respect.

It's funny... I see on these forums every now and then posts from men asking for relationship advice. And the girls on these forums will say that how attractive you are isn't that important, and being rich isn't important. However, confidence, passion, drive, etc, are the sort of words that come up as being qualities that women look for. I think H.pro was saying something along those lines. What strikes me is they tend to be masculine qualities. What I haven't noticed come up are qualities like, emotion, sensuality, affection, gentleness, etc. Not that women don't want that, it just doesn't seem to be their top priorities. Do women really want men that are overtly feminine? You say that men are seen as 'pussies' for crying and expressing their feelings, but do women really want men that show too much emotion?

This is just my opinion, but for a heterosexual male looking for a relationship, acting in a way that is overtly feminine perhaps wouldn't be a good thing.

lol

You're basically boiling femininity down to essentially 'crying'. I'm not sure 'crying' is a feminine quality--but rather a consequence of a feminine quality. Outwardly expressing your feelings would be more accurate maybe.

Regardless of whether men who express a lot of emotion should or shouldn't be ridiculed, in that context it is more about a man expressing more effeminate traits as opposed to masculine. It doesn't really make it 'inferior' or 'superior' just different. I don't think showing emotion has ever been shunned by society (maybe by some), it is more overly expressing emotion. My personal opinion is that it stems from the idea that a man shouldn't show weakness. In one sense, the history of man has been quite bloody and violent. The showing of weakness could be seen as a bad quality in that respect.

It's funny... I see on these forums every now and then posts from men asking for relationship advice. And the girls on these forums will say that how attractive you are isn't that important, and being rich isn't important. However, confidence, passion, drive, etc, are the sort of words that come up as being qualities that women look for. I think H.pro was saying something along those lines. What strikes me is they tend to be masculine qualities. What I haven't noticed come up are qualities like, emotion, sensuality, affection, gentleness, etc. Not that women don't want that, it just doesn't seem to be their top priorities. Do women really want men that are overtly feminine? You say that men are seen as 'pussies' for crying and expressing their feelings, but do women really want men that show too much emotion?

This is just my opinion, but for a heterosexual male looking for a relationship, acting in a way that is overtly feminine perhaps wouldn't be a good thing.

Affection and gentleness come later. When people talk about confidence passion and drive that's essentially getting in the door.

Platy

lol

And you are ignoring that I specialy choose "pussy" as bad word...

leadbelly

Banned
And you are ignoring that I specialy choose "pussy" as bad word...

Not really. For one, I'm not saying all men respect femininity, I just think it is something to be respected. The point I made however is that it is purely in the context of a male expressing effeminate traits as opposed to masculine. It is basically saying you're not a true man. That doesn't necessarily mean feminine qualities are bad, just not masculine.

Not really. For one, I'm not saying all men respect femininity, I just think it is something to be respected. The point I made however is that it is purely in the context of a male expressing effeminate traits as opposed to masculine. It is basically saying you're not a true man. That doesn't necessarily mean feminine qualities are bad, just not masculine.

This is unbearable to read

Top Bottom