• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Those discussions are stuck between "big tits is sexual objectification and all objectification is wrong" vs "who the fuck cares how female characters are presented stop trying to censor creators."

Yes. It's unbearable, due to both sides.

And it's not just those threads, but anything remotely related to that.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Those discussions are stuck between "big tits is sexual objectification and all objectification is wrong" vs "who the fuck cares how female characters are presented stop trying to censor creators."
Yeah, I'd argue there need to fine balance between those two lines of thought. Of course it's part of human nature that we can't deal with ambiguity very well.;p and the discussion that we usually get with a ambiguous topic like that is a pretty good reflection of that.

Collete

Hey, GirlGAF.
Never really posted in any GirlGAF thread before but just thought I pop in, say hi, and add to the female population on GAF.

Man bitchy chicks are the worst. My new manager is the most clique-y, passive aggressive person I have ever met. She's going out of her way to exclude me from conversations, and keeps bitching about me around the corner. I thought people were supposed to grow out this shit in middle school :/ I seriously cannot believe this. Its so dumb!

/rant.

Man bitchy chicks are the worst. My new manager is the most clique-y, passive aggressive person I have ever met. She's going out of her way to exclude me from conversations, and keeps bitching about me around the corner. I thought people were supposed to grow out this shit in middle school :/ I seriously cannot believe this. Its so dumb!

/rant.
Maybe she likes you and wants your attention.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

/rant.

Sounds like she's jealous of you somehow.

jealous, threatened, just generally a catty person, drama queen, take your pick.

Some women just can't work with other women. It's a complex.

So my mom's half sister on her father's side signed a waver and in a week or two she'll be getting information about her and vice versa O_O.

Satch

Banned
i feel like every six months i post in here like once and then never post again

hi

i will try to become a permanent fixture

zon

She's adopted and never known her biological parents. She's going to be 67 in a couple of months.

I can't imagine what that must feel like. I know how difficult it can be to find any information about biological parents though (my maternal grandmother was adopted or a foster child, we still don't know who her biological parents were). It must be fun for you too, to finally get to know where half of you come from, so to speak. I hope your mom finds everything she's looking for.

iirate

I can't imagine what that must feel like. I know how difficult it can be to find any information about biological parents though (my maternal grandmother was adopted or a foster child, we still don't know who her biological parents were). It must be fun for you too, to finally get to know where half of you come from, so to speak. I hope your mom finds everything she's looking for.

My mom is going to be 64 this year, is also adopted, and doesn't know anything about her biological parents. The thing is, she doesn't want to know. Talking to my dad recently, he told me that her adopted mother knew all about her biological parents, but it's hard to trust much of anything my dad says. I'd personally like to learn more, but she is adamantly against learning anything of her biological heritage.

zon

My mom is going to be 64 this year, is also adopted, and doesn't know anything about her biological parents. The thing is, she doesn't want to know. Talking to my dad recently, he told me that her adopted mother knew all about her biological parents, but it's hard to trust much of anything my dad says. I'd personally like to learn more, but she is adamantly against learning anything of her biological heritage.

You should respect her wish on the issue, but that shouldn't stop you from doing research if you want to. Just don't tell her about whatever you might find.

Pau

At the very least it seems like a good idea for medical purposes.

Which your mum the best of luck with contacting her biological family, Devo.

At the very least it seems like a good idea for medical purposes.

Which your mum the best of luck with contacting her biological family, Devo.

That's why my mom's doing it. That and being curious. Plus yeah Zon it's also for me as well since she would like me to know my biology. I think it's also because she has no family. Her adoptive parents are dead and she wasn't a fan of either extended family, don't blame her, they were very conservative and racist.

iirate

That's why my mom's doing it. That and being curious. Plus yeah Zon it's also for me as well since she would like me to know my biology. I think it's also because she has no family. Her adoptive parents are dead and she wasn't a fan of either extended family, don't blame her, they were very conservative and racist.

That's part of what I don't understand about my mom's situation - all indications point to her adopted parents being sexist, oppressive, controlling, and just sort of shitty to her in general(both are gone now, BTW). She has never mentioned her extended family, and her one adopted sister was much older and died when she was young.

I get that one family not being so great would automatically make you seek out another, but she seems to carry a grudge without any knowledge of circumstance or history.

That's part of what I don't understand about my mom's situation - all indications point to her adopted parents being sexist, oppressive, controlling, and just sort of shitty to her in general(both are gone now, BTW). She has never mentioned her extended family, and her one adopted sister was much older and died when she was young.

I get that one family not being so great would automatically make you seek out another, but she seems to carry a grudge without any knowledge of circumstance or history.

She should do it for you so you can know your medical history at the very least.

zon

Try to put yourself in her shoes for a bit. If it is true that her adoptive parents were shitty, why would she ever want to talk to the people who were responsible for her shitty childhood with the adopted parents? And if this opinion was formed during her childhood she might be carrying a lot of emotional pain that she might feel is too much to deal with. Instead she just pushes away anything that might challenge her reason for hating her biological parents, or she might just push away anything that forces her to relive those emotions from her childhood.

If her adopted parents actually were what you describe, then yeah she might carry a lot of emotional pain from it. Stuff like that can be extremely hard to deal with (I would know).

iirate

Try to put yourself in her shoes for a bit. If it is true that her adoptive parents were shitty, why would she ever want to talk to the people who were responsible for her shitty childhood with the adopted parents? And if this opinion was formed during her childhood she might be carrying a lot of emotional pain that she might feel is too much to deal with. Instead she just pushes away anything that might challenge her reason for hating her biological parents, or she might just push away anything that forces her to relive those emotions from her childhood.

If her adopted parents actually were what you describe, then yeah she might carry a lot of emotional pain from it. Stuff like that can be extremely hard to deal with (I would know).

Haha, even as I put my thoughts into words in my last post, I started to realize exactly what you're saying. I'd like to add that I've never pushed the subject with her, as I can see how hard it is. It's hard for me to deal with, but I need to keep the pain she might carry in perspective with my own.

Tash

/rant.

You know, that's the reason I enjoy working with guys much more than working with other girls. There always seems this competition thing going on and talks behind backs which I absolutely despise. And sadly, it's not an age thing..it's very much a character/insecurity thing I would say.

You know, that's the reason I enjoy working with guys much more than working with other girls. There always seems this competition thing going on and talks behind backs which I absolutely despise. And sadly, it's not an age thing..it's very much a character/insecurity thing I would say.

Its one of the reasons I ended up having only male friends through most of high school. I had a couple of good female friends, but they either moved away, or went nuts and started picking on me for eating lunch with my boyfriend :/ Guys are just generally more fun and chillax than most girls. Thankfully I've found some awesome lady friends at uni, but I still feel a bit unsure of how to behave around women sometimes. :s Especially with hugging/touching.

Tash

Its one of the reasons I ended up having only male friends through most of high school. I had a couple of good female friends, but they either moved away, or went nuts and started picking on me for eating lunch with my boyfriend :/ Guys are just generally more fun and chillax than most girls. Thankfully I've found some awesome lady friends at uni, but I still feel a bit unsure of how to behave around women sometimes. :s Especially with hugging/touching.

Totally know what you mean. It's really exhausting having to consider if they are genuine or not all the time..something you don't have to worry about around guys, right? :)
If there is issues between guys they just clash and afterwards everything is OK again.

Always had more male friends. Always felt closer and always had more in common. Started to change around the end of high school, but male friends are still the majority.

but I still feel a bit unsure of how to behave around women sometimes. :s Especially with hugging/touching.

This, is a problem. I touch too much.

They sure are.

Here are some bunnies.

393027_374078209379390_1185655122_n.jpg

They are illegal in my state ;.;

Totally know what you mean. It's really exhausting having to consider if they are genuine or not all the time..something you don't have to worry about around guys, right? :)
If there is issues between guys they just clash and afterwards everything is OK again.

There's certainly less drama, and guys tend to be more upfront about stuff.

This, is a problem. I touch too much.

hahaha. I've kind of gone the other way, I'm pretty sure there are creepy shots of me hoverhanding. People hug me and I have no idea how long the hug should go.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
That's what a male friend of mine did to me when we met up the other night gave me a BROHUG.. amusingly it lead to a conversation about gay tendencies in both sexes, and how girls are more likely to show gay tendencies than guys because of culture, and then I bought up alfred kinsey etc.:p

That's what a male friend of mine did to me when we met up the other night gave me a BROHUG.. amusingly it lead to a conversation about gay tendencies in both sexes, and how girls are more likely to show gay tendencies than guys because of culture, and then I bought up alfred kinsey etc.:p
I don't know about gay, but girls tend to be more physically affectionate than guys. There is a lot less stigma for women to come out as bi or lesbian, but I don't think it's that related to touching. When it comes to men many associate any touching with sexual interest, which is a bit silly/ sad really.

I don't know about gay, but girls tend to be more physically affectionate than guys. There is a lot less stigma for women to come out as bi or lesbian, but I don't think it's that related to touching. When it comes to men many associate any touching with sexual interest, which is a bit silly/ sad really.

TBH I feel male touching male is a dominance thing. Like when a guy comes up to me and puts his arm on my back it usually feels really condescending, like he might as well be patting me on the head and be all "Good job there, sport!" Most touching of guys I do is a bro hug and I can be doing that to dudes I barely know.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The one difference I've noticed is girls are MORE likely to compliment each other on their looks than guys, I've tried to break that stereotype a bit, by complimenting the occasional friend for his looks or how they dressed, of course it may make people seem like I'm gay / bisexual or something, but I don't give a FUCK, and neither should most guys really. I mean shouldn't the greatest compliment you can get as a straight male be from a gay guy?

Samara

TBH I feel male touching male is a dominance thing. Like when a guy comes up to me and puts his arm on my back it usually feels really condescending, like he might as well be patting me on the head and be all "Good job there, sport!" Most touching of guys I do is a bro hug and I can be doing that to dudes I barely know.

Was about to say, a brohug looks like something you do to a close friend. I mean, personal barrier anyone?!?

I want to try it

Atsumi

I got girl and guy friends galore. My girl friends are from high school and were the types who didn't backstab and shit.

Same... but there's only two girl friends that I have. The rest are guy friends because I went to a tech school for college and it had a 9:1 male to female ratio. Kind of like GAF.

Same... but there's only two girl friends that I have. The rest are guy friends because I went to a tech school for college and it had a 9:1 male to female ratio. Kind of like GAF.

There were probably less creeps there. Be careful what you post on GAF.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!

You think guys don't do that? In my uni days I knew a few guys that were far worse than any girl I had ever known! I knew guys that gossiped just as much if not more, talked about other people behind their backs, hell we had foreign students that couldn't understand some of my classmates brummie or thick yorkshire accents and they'd say stuff right in front of their faces.

I dunno, I find it odd when women say guys never ever do it and make it seem like all girls are bitchy or it's a gender wide problem when that's not really true. I've seen it happen far too much to think it only ever happens between females. And for reference, I've had the same amount of guy and girl friends. I mean, I'm not about to go ahead and say "and that's why I never make many male friends!" because of those few I knew back in college and uni or at work.

You think guys don't do that? In my uni days I knew a few guys that were far worse than any girl I had ever known! I knew guys that gossiped just as much if not more, talked about other people behind their backs, hell we had foreign students that couldn't understand some of my classmates brummie or thick yorkshire accents and they'd say stuff right in front of their faces.

I dunno, I find it odd when women say guys never ever do it and make it seem like all girls are bitchy or it's a gender wide problem when that's not really true. I've seen it happen far too much to think it only ever happens between females. And for reference, I've had the same amount of guy and girl friends. I mean, I'm not about to go ahead and say "and that's why I never make many male friends!" because of those few I knew back in college and uni or at work.

Most of the guys I've dealt with, even the assholes, we're pretty upfront about who they hated unlike a bunch of the girls.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Most of the guys I've dealt with, even the assholes, we're pretty upfront about who they hated unlike a bunch of the girls.

Not always, and like Shanshan said that woman has made it pretty clear she doesn't like her, she's not being sneaky about it. Most people that don't like you for whatever stupid reason let you know one way or another, its not a girl or a guy thing, imo.

I mean back then in uni and even now that I've gone back I see it happen all the time. Girls or people that don't like you let you know somehow, they try and alienate you.

I dunno, maybe I've been lucky and never had to deal with girls like that. I have seen it happen with others though and the people doing it weren't JUST girls that's why I find it so odd when women themselves say things like girls are bitchy and that's the reason why they only have male friends.

It's definitely not a female only thing but my experience in high school was mainly with bitchy girls. It was not a choice to only have male friends, but due to a combination of factors that's how it ended up. It's not as if I actively avoided girls because "girls are bitchy".

There were probably less creeps there. Be careful what you post on GAF.
Yeah that thread about the guy pming someone's girlfriend on Facebook was pretty scary.

Top Bottom