• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Emitan

Female privilege is going to a bar with complete certainty that you will go home and have sex with someone at the end of the night.

So are all of these just written by bitter men?

Female privilege is being saved from the dangerous sport of high school football.

I grew up in football central (Texas). Never played a football game in my life.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Kind of blows my mind that it was (apparently) written by a woman.

What? I don't believe that for a second, but then again I've seen some nutty women on youtube who think that the feminists are devil's spawn or something equally crazy like that.. :\

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
So apparently I'm going to a fancy dress thing at a nightclub this weekend. It's comic book inspired. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm totally having a blank with what to go as

So apparently I'm going to a fancy dress thing at a nightclub this weekend. It's comic book inspired. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm totally having a blank with what to go as
Fancy dress thing? Forget about comic book characters, then!

Also, lolz at the tumblr. Poor, defenseless men.

Mudita

Neo Member
Filth and lies.

Agreed.

Never felt worse pain then when I got (accidentally) kicked in my naughty. And it felt exactly as it's described by men, nausea and everything. I think it's just easier for men to get hurt in the balls, they're more...available. For girls it has to be the exact right angle.

Ashes

Banned
Nausea? Never felt that. But it is basically very painful. Very very painful.

But at least I don't have to go through labour.

Agreed.

Never felt worse pain then when I got (accidentally) kicked in my naughty. And it felt exactly as it's described by men, nausea and everything. I think it's just easier for men to get hurt in the balls, they're more...available. For girls it has to be the exact right angle.

Getting punched or having a cyst in the ovary is no fun either. Or childbirth. Or menstrual cramps.

Masoria

Neo Member
I blacked out during labor the first time. Never thought I'd feel pain like that. Can't say I've been kicked down there to compare feelings, but I'd say it lasts much longer than a kick.

Platy

Agreed.

One of the most hilarious things I ever read was a sex collum where a girl was kicked in the genitals and asked if she was hemaphrodite because she felt ...pain

The tone of worry and seriousness of the letter was the best thing EVER.

I probably still have the newspaper with it in my house ... too bad it is in portuguese

Masoria

Neo Member
I was actually more scared of the epidural than the labor...even the 2nd and 3rd time haha. Too many people that I know have back problems because of epidurals gone wrong. The last time, there were 2 other women laboring at the same time as me, screaming because the epidurals didn't work and they had to wait for the anesthesiologist. The nurse asked me if I was sure I didn't want an epidural...I was like, nope, I'm good.

CleverGirl

Neo Member

Do you have any favored comic characters? I'm guessing not otherwise you wouldn't have asked. I always liked Rogue from X-men. Also there is this good comic called Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant, and the main character Delilah is very fun and brave and less boob focused than other comic heroines.

The artist's site has the first book online for free, here is the link if you want to check it out.

http://www.delilahdirk.com/content/

Ashes

Banned
Actually, as it turns out, she did remember from when I told her.

So, at least I know that she knows.

I'm just going to leave this alone. Cause now I'm confused. Did you tell her when she was drunk? or did she faint? why wouldn't she remember. It doesn't matter. you don't have to answer.

I'm still going to answer since I'm pretty sure I said it on other threads here.

I had messaged my mom on my old Facebook account about being transgender and she seemed supportive of it, but she was still calling me a boy and such, so I came out to her again in person.

Ashes

Banned
I'm still going to answer since I'm pretty sure I said it on other threads here.

I had messaged my mom on my old Facebook account about being transgender and she seemed supportive of it, but she was still calling me a boy and such, so I came out to her again in person.

Ah I see. That makes more sense. :p

How old are you by the way?

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Splurged on an eye cream a few days ago and I kinda feel bad for spending £40 on it but I'm starting to get one or two really fine lines which might be dry lines and not wrinkles but thought I'd start early before they get any worse. My old eye cream that costs about £16 wasn't doing much, would probably do more for a person with oily skin but my under eye area is so friggin dry and I hear people like that are more prone to developing major wrinkles under eyes early on. I'm so not into the whole skin care stuff, though. My skin care "routine" consists of a cleanser and then a very rich moisturiser, that's it.

I use a face wash and sometimes some nice body shop moisturiser, but I don't really use much either. Everything is so expensive, as you've pointed out. The used by date rules tend to make it even worse. Be damned if I spend $20 on mascara every 3 months.

I'm glad everything seems to be going well Aiko ^^

Ashes

Banned

:0

Brave girl.

And with that I'm done. Before I start asking about how the weather was, how the light in the room was, how your mother sat, what she drank, what her eyes were doing etc etc etc.

:p

Don't put it past me. I've done that before.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
The eye cream was recommended by a friend and she said it lasted her over 6 months, not too bad in the long run I guess!

I use a face wash and sometimes some nice body shop moisturiser, but I don't really use much either. Everything is so expensive, as you've pointed out. The used by date rules tend to make it even worse. Be damned if I spend $20 on mascara every 3 months.

Yeah, also I've heard everything is VERY expensive in Australia? Most high street stuff are just as expensive over there as most high end stuff is here in the UK or US. I don't bother with the expiry dates myself, maybe I should but if I spend money on something I'm gonna use it until it goes dry! :p

I rarely go overboard with make-up, most I buy are under £10.

EDIT: Glad your mum took it well, Aiko! :D

Ashes

Banned
Hah.

Even if you did ask me thouse, I'd probably answer that. I can be quite open when it comes to things.

For some people, it's easier to do I guess at 16 than at 26. I almost treasure my own privacy, and wilfully neglect other people's.

I write you see, and I like writing truths rather than the alternative And old journalistic habits die harder than other things.

Ashes

Banned
Is that really something that's good?

I'm honestly wondering that.

I'm not sure what part you are referring to? Privacy or brutal honesty?

Or commodifying what is considered personal? i.e. Posting or making someone post personal information on a forum that makes money from advertising. Sometime I wonder if it's right to treat forums as simply coffee houses of the 21st century.

Platy

Aiko, time to go for meds and doctors and all family supported !!!
=3

Ahh I'm sorry :( I wasn't thinking.

I was talking about the tumblr ... also
l95su.png

Masoria

Neo Member
That's really awesome Aiko :D I know I'd never be able to come out to my mom, if I had something to come out about. She's...not accepting of people who aren't in a binary category.

I don't really use much of anything, either. Price and laziness. I use witch hazel as a toner because it's super cheap and it works, and other than that...meh. I DO recommend going in to like, Sephora for a free makeover so you can find out the right shade/stuff. I never really got along with drugstore foundation, and LOVE Sephora's stuff. But it's like $20 for a compact, at the cheapest.

CleverGirl

Neo Member
Hello, CleverGirl.

Hello Mumei

On Innana's note, I've been watching Michelle Phan videos on youtube and her skincare vids have convinced me that I clearly do not have an intensive enough skincare regime. She has a great video on how to layer skincare products, I think in the video she used 9 products. The only place in my house where I could find 9 creams is the refrigerator.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Hello Mumei

On Innana's note, I've been watching Michelle Phan videos on youtube and her skincare vids have convinced me that I clearly do not have an intensive enough skincare regime. She has a great video on how to layer skincare products, I think in the video she used 9 products. The only place in my house where I could find 9 creams is the refrigerator.

As far as youtube beauty gurus go, Michelle Phan is probably the worst of them all! Lisa Eldridge is where its at. I've learnt so much about skincare and make-up from her videos, she believes in minimal make-up and not piling everything on! Her latest video is so awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKY4O0RIn0M

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
As far as youtube beauty gurus go, Michelle Phan is probably the worst of them all! Lisa Eldridge is where its at. I've learnt so much about skincare and make-up from her videos, she believes in minimal make-up and not piling everything on! Her latest video is so awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKY4O0RIn0M

i watch a lot of michelle's videos and i do like her, but i find that especially recently she's a bit hit or miss. i love a lot of the looks she's come up with and her videos do a good job of showing you how to achieve them. it does annoy me a bit how she's trying to become some sort of mega-entrepreneur now and kind of get her fingers into everything. to me she was always at her best when she was releasing a lot of videos and coming up with fresh looks for each one, really pumping them out and giving her all on that one thing. nowadays she concentrates so much on other stuff i feel like you rarely see a new video with a full look from her, and when you do they seem rushed.

i find her skincare advice to be pretty off the mark most of the time (at least for me), except i do love the fact that she does so much sunscreen pimping because it's really important.

CleverGirl

Neo Member
I don't know why I bother watching those things anyways. I'm so cynical that when a product name is mentioned I squint suspiciously at the screen and say "How much are they paying you?" Then I return to my normal skincare routine of wash and moisturize/w SPF. On the very pain in the ass occasions that I need makeup, its usually way less than all of those makeup ladies do. For all of these ladies its a case of admiration of their skill, but I'll never do it.

Ashes

Banned
I don't know why I bother watching those things anyways. I'm so cynical that when a product name is mentioned I squint suspiciously at the screen and say "How much are they paying you?" Then I return to my normal skincare routine of wash and moisturize/w SPF. On the very pain in the ass occasions that I need makeup, its usually way less than all of those makeup ladies do. For all of these ladies its a case of admiration of their skill, but I'll never do it.

Don't be so cynical. They make money off of google partners. ;)

And most of them don't even start out in the game to make money anyway.

/confession: I watched one of those skin care vidz in full. It was because of the irish accent, but I say it still counts. Can't remember what she said, nor who she is. but I remember that it was the clearest Irish accent ever.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I don't like Michelle because most of her raves/reviews are of the companies she's affiliated with, most make-up she uses in her videos now is by them a lot of the times! Lisa does vogue and big time celebrities and doesn't need youtube money. She has no reason to lie.

I've never liked the way Michelle does make-up even when she wasn't trying as hard. Too many layers, TOO much powder and her way of doing eye make-up is just awful.

I like Lisa because in a lot of her videos she uses very little foundation sometimes only on her chin where she's dark, and very very thin layer of it. She uses a lot less powder, minimal eye make-up. Most beauty girls on youtube put so much stuff on their faces, no wonder their skin looks so horrible without make-up. Moisturiser, sunscreen, primer, thick layer of foundation and a lot of powder etc etc. Lisa mostly only uses a primer that has has primer/sunscreen/moisturiser qualities all in one and then a tiny bit of thin layer of very sheer foundation on her chin and very very little powder on the T-zone.

Everything she's recommended has done amazing things for my problematic skin! I have VERY dry dull skin that is quite lazy when it comes to getting rid of dead skin, scrubs/harsh exfoliators can be quite harmful to the skin and can cause scratches and broken capillaries which is why I don't really use it. I got Dermalogica cream exfoliator on her recommendation and it is AMAZING for getting rid of those dead cells without all that scrubbing. Her skin care videos are amazing.

Opiate

Is there any suggestion that any of those creams have any long term benefit? That's an honest question. I was under the impression that serious scientific studies concluded that skin creams had superficial value and no long term benefit.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Is there any suggestion that any of those creams have any long term benefit? That's an honest question. I was under the impression that serious scientific studies concluded that skin creams had superficial value and no long term benefit.

The exfoliator cream I was talking about gets rid of dead skin cells/flakey patches and evens in the market out the skin texture. If you're talking about moisturisers than yes they are very beneficial in the long run, especially for people with dry skin. Actually I learnt it from one of Lisa's videos that all these expensive anti-wrinkle creams do jack shit when it comes to getting rid of wrinkles. The best prevention is to stop them from developing and moisturisers help a lot with that. When you get older your skin looses its elasticity and moisture and that's one of the reasons why you get wrinkles and lines. Moisturisers help prevent that.

Top Bottom