• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So my wife got some L'oreal brand kid conditioner for our 4-year old daughter because her hair is thick and really curly, and apparently the plain ol' regular baby shampoo isn't cutting it anymore for her hair. The dark path of hair products has started way earlier than I expected.

Am I doomed? Is this a tiny preview of the hair maintenance terror that awaits in 10 years? :(
Maybe not doomed but there are days I loathe my curls.

It also smells strongly like grape bubblegum! I had to stop her from trying to taste the conditioner the first time, lol.

Zoe

Sometimes you just want to vent and not have to explain to the other person why their experience doesn't really compare.
Her initial post was just really vague. I first read it as guys trying to pick her up based on common interests.

He's banned but I wanted to say I agree with everyone else.

Guys need to remember this Is still GirlGAF and while you're welcome to post in it, you need to be more respectful of what you write in here.

That's not really a good thing that it doesn't bother you.
Well it does bother me but I don't get hung up on it I guess.

Yes that's what we keep confusing for harassment, innocent compliments.

lol please
I was merely commenting on MY experiences in that post where I've only found old, pervy men to cross over to harassment.

That could be for a variety of reasons from geography to perhaps me being less attractive.

Satch

Banned
does anybody here play dota or am i asking at a bad time

edit: oh god i read the last two pages this is a very bad time

VYOpypq.png

Wazzy

Banned
Again I never questioned or challenged the experiences of others, only commented on my own.
Then why don't you try posting from an empathic view? It just seems like every post of yours is "well I don't feel offended by that stuff!" Anytime we're having a discussion about offensive things said or done to us.

You could try "thankfully I've never experienced any of that but I'm sorry you all did"

Again I never questioned or challenged the experiences of others, only commented on my own.

I get what you're trying to say but if other gals made different experiences or really feel bothered by some kind of male behaviour on GAF or somewhere else they don't just "get hung up on it" by calling it out and talking about it, it's a necessary and important thing to do and should be taken seriously and not mistaken for bitching etc.

Then why don't you try posting from an empathic view? It just seems like every post of yours is "well I don't feel offended by that stuff!" Anytime we're having a discussion about offensive things said or done to us.

You could try "thankfully I've never experienced any of that but I'm sorry you all did"

Because it's not all doom and gloom and I like to be a positive person. I don't mean to offend and I apologise if I have. I'd like to think it's healthy to post about different experiences and attitudes towards them.

It really has been enlightening to see attitudes in this thread that differ from mine and I was trying to engage with that :)

I get what you're trying to say but if other gals made different experiences or really feel bothered by some kind of male behaviour on GAF or somewhere else they don't just "get hung up on it" by calling it out and talking about it, it's a necessary and important thing to do and should be taken seriously and not mistaken for bitching etc.

I've never meant to imply it was "bitching" or anything close to that, so sorry again if it read that way. Maybe I have presented my points badly.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Hey. Guess no-one's been to a knitting circle then, huh? :p

I was thinking whether it'd be a good idea to start a thread a bit like the Everyday Sexism project. Probably a bad idea. What I am really saying is that I think it would be good to have an Everyday Sexism-style project for games.

I know how to knit but I've never been part of a knitting circle. :p

Warcraft 3 is a tad bit different than your typical MOBA. I would consider that more of a RTS.

But anyway, games like DotA and League of Legends each have ten players per game, five on each team. You play a specific champion / hero with a certain set of abilities and a different role within your team.

The general composition of each match is a top lane tank / bruiser, a mid lane spell caster, an attack damage carry (long range DPS characters, usually) and a support (can either be tanky or magic based) in the bottom lane, and a jungler, that roams in between the lanes and farms the creatures there for gold. The purpose of the jungler is to gank (surprise attack) the enemy team in each lane when the opportunity presents itself.

All players must farm creatures to accumulate gold, in order to purchase items. Supports usually do not kill these "creeps" and instead buy gold per second items (kind of like health regen, but with gold) so that they can buy items. Killing enemy players also gives you gold. Throughout the game, players buy items in order to increase their damage output, defense, healing capabilities, or whatever set they're building. Each character has a recommended build, but you don't necessarily have to do that if you want to play a different way.

Early game consists of killing creeps to gather as much gold as possible, while trying to kill the enemy in order to complete early builds and gain an advantage. Each lane has three towers, and players must down all three in any lane in order to reach the base. You win the game by capturing the enemy's base. Most games end up with at least two lanes having all their towers destroyed, but at the same time, your team has to make sure that they're defending their towers. It's a tricky balance of knowing when to put the pressure on and when to play it safe.

Mid to late game is when most teams gather together to push down towers and reach the base. Team fights often happen, which is why early game build up is so important. Teamfights can get pretty crazy and can determine if your team wins or loses, which makes them so, so important in the late game.

Wazzy

Banned
Thanks for explaining!

I don't know if that sounds like something I would really like but maybe I'll give it a shot one day when my computer is fixed.

I'm thinking of starting FF XIV, anyone else play? I feel like once I do it's gonna make me miss my WoW days. xD

I have no clue if my laptop can handle DOTA, so Awesomenauts will have to do. >__>
I'm thinking of starting FF XIV, anyone else play? I feel like once I do it's gonna make me miss my WoW days. xD
Only when Blue Mage gets added.

Blue Mage is never getting added. :(

Dragi, thank you for explaining the gameplay of DoTA and LoL! That's so interesting. I've never given those titles a go. But it kinda makes more sense now.

Idk what's so hard to understand that we're supposed to be a relatively safe-space for girls. Like, it's girl-centric, and guys who come in and announce 'gender-neutral' opinions seem.... idk, ..... he comes off as super unaware / unsensitive of his surroundings, at the very least.

On another note. I think I need to cut my hair. It's waist-length now, and it's kinda flolloping helplessly. I have straight, black, stubborn hair. I've been thinking of chopping it to a boy's cut, ever since I read a thread on GAF about Lupita, lambasting short hair as unfeminine, etc. But yeah, it'll be ... drastic. lol

Wazzy

Banned
I have no clue if my laptop can handle DOTA, so Awesomenauts will have to do. >__>

Only when Blue Mage gets added.

Blue Mage is never getting added. :(
If I play you better start to!
Wazzy. Wazzy. We did it ;_; Canada still in this!
Awwwwww YISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
If you guys ever want to try it out, I would be more than willing to show you the ropes and play with you. Just let me know!
Thanks!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I know how to knit but I've never been part of a knitting circle. :p

Oh ace! There's a cool yarn shop near me where they have crafting nights (and afternoons) and even movie night. I really want to go this weekend, but it will depend on my fear of new people. Fingers crossed.

Warcraft 3 is a tad bit different than your typical MOBA. I would consider that more of a RTS.

But anyway, games like DotA and League of Legends each have ten players per game, five on each team. You play a specific champion / hero with a certain set of abilities and a different role within your team.

The general composition of each match is a top lane tank / bruiser, a mid lane spell caster, an attack damage carry (long range DPS characters, usually) and a support (can either be tanky or magic based) in the bottom lane, and a jungler, that roams in between the lanes and farms the creatures there for gold. The purpose of the jungler is to gank (surprise attack) the enemy team in each lane when the opportunity presents itself.

All players must farm creatures to accumulate gold, in order to purchase items. Supports usually do not kill these "creeps" and instead buy gold per second items (kind of like health regen, but with gold) so that they can buy items. Killing enemy players also gives you gold. Throughout the game, players buy items in order to increase their damage output, defense, healing capabilities, or whatever set they're building. Each character has a recommended build, but you don't necessarily have to do that if you want to play a different way.

Early game consists of killing creeps to gather as much gold as possible, while trying to kill the enemy in order to complete early builds and gain an advantage. Each lane has three towers, and players must down all three in any lane in order to reach the base. You win the game by capturing the enemy's base. Most games end up with at least two lanes having all their towers destroyed, but at the same time, your team has to make sure that they're defending their towers. It's a tricky balance of knowing when to put the pressure on and when to play it safe.

Mid to late game is when most teams gather together to push down towers and reach the base. Team fights often happen, which is why early game build up is so important. Teamfights can get pretty crazy and can determine if your team wins or loses, which makes them so, so important in the late game.

I think Wazzy might have been talking about DOTA 1 and not Warcraft 3 itself, since she says in Warcraft 3. Although there are plenty of mods there so she might have been referring to something else.

The explanation is great though. I play DOTA 2 after having played League of Legends for some time but it applies to both games. Only thing is that the roles can be more flexible in DOTA, but on low skill levels you won't bother with that too much anyway.

Won't go over the differences of LoL or DOTA, but for people who want something a bit more visual here is a video introduction for DOTA 2. It is in an old build and doesn't look as good as the game does now, but it conveys the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akUNmFAzS98

The denying part and runes part don't apply to League of Legends, but the rest is pretty similar. The secret shop also doesn't apply for League of Legends.

Sorry, couldn't resist posting, I have DOTA issues.

someday

Banned
One of my favorite homework assignments was to watch "Free to Play." I learned all I know about DOTA from that. It's pretty interesting even if you don't play the game.

Sorry I haven't been posting much recently, I've been really busy, but I'm still reading the thread!

I kind of just wanted to vent because I had a really gross experience last night. This nice looking old man approached a couple of friends and I and started speaking in English. I thought he was just being polite or trying to practice until I realised he was asking if we were prostitutes. After years of being treated like a little girl I'm having trouble coming to terms with the fact that men of all ages are now seeing me as a vagina and tits. I don't think I like it very much. When men who are strangers talk to me now I find myself constantly second guessing why they are speaking to me. And why the fuck do they think it's okay to approach me like that anyway? I feel like I need a shower.

Sup.

If you guys ever want to try it out, I would be more than willing to show you the ropes and play with you. Just let me know!
I did play a lot of ARAM until my computer decided it wouldn't open LoL any more, even if I redownloaded it :(

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

I might take you up on this!!!

A friend at work has just linked me to Smite and she's showing me the ropes on that. Have you played that? Apparently it's Dota-esque.

killatopak

I've played both and while I haven't played much of LoL, I definitely prefer DoTA.

As for girls who play them, in our country, they're growing in number. Quite a few of my fem friends play them. Unexpectedly, some even have higher ranks than the guys. This applies to both LoL and DoTA but girls seems to like LoL more. Maybe because there are some cute characters like Teemo and Annie?

I might take you up on this!!!

A friend at work has just linked me to Smite and she's showing me the ropes on that. Have you played that? Apparently it's Dota-esque.

I have, but I don't like it very much. The third person view annoys me and is kind of hard to manage in battle.

I've played both and while I haven't played much of LoL, I definitely prefer DoTA.

As for girls who play them, in our country, they're growing in number. Quite a few of my fem friends play them. Unexpectedly, some even have higher ranks than the guys. This applies to both LoL and DoTA but girls seems to like LoL more. Maybe because there are some cute characters like Teemo and Annie?

I think it's because LoL seems more popular. I know more people who play LoL as opposed to DotA. But I think it might have something to do with the cute characters. Teemo's bunny skin just...melts hearts.

Wazzy

Banned
But I don't like any of the classes!
Booooooooooo

I'm sure you'll end up liking one of them.
I didn't watch until the last minute because I was afraid of jinxing it lol

Let's go Habs, you can crush the Rangers.
We'll totally beat the Range-

I'll stop myself now.

I think Wazzy might have been talking about DOTA 1 and not Warcraft 3 itself, since she says in Warcraft 3. Although there are plenty of mods there so she might have been referring to something else.

Yeah I think it was DotA 1 I played.

Top Bottom