• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Kisaya

Oh hey look, another company jumping on the pumpkin bandwagon:

vf8Jwxb.jpg

I'm not an enabler, really. ;)

My recent purchase 🌚

I'm sorry this is WAY off topic but does anyone here have any thoughts on menstrual cups? Tampon Run topic on the Gaming Forum made me think to ask, so I guess its purpose was served! But yeah, this is what I'm talking about:

I've known these were a thing for a while but I don't know anyone who actually uses them outside of the women on the internet who rave about them. For every 3 positive impressions I read there's 1 person who had a bad experience. Has anyone here ever used one before and is it worth giving a try next time I'm on my period?

I'd want to try it when I don't have any plans to go out. The scariest thing preventing me from using one (apart from leaks) is cleaning/maintaining it inside a public restroom. Though supposedly you can leave it in for so long that this usually isn't an issue. Also, if I sneeze or something could it shift and leak?

What the hell kind of contraption is that?

The whole concept seems kind of gross tbh.

I don't know, we've all of us here more or less grown up in the same society that stigmatizes menstruation as particularly gross so my initial reaction was pretty much the same as yours. But I think that if it works as well as it's supposed to (and a lot of women say it does) there are a lot of practical advantages over tampons/pads. I don't want to let my hangups come between me and a healthier body. If it works well, anything that lowers risk of TSS and doesn't involve sticking a dry piece of cotton up inside a part of your body that's not really supposed to be dried out is inherently better.

over the cervix

I don't think it's supposed to go that far up inside you. What I've read says it should be as shallow as possible while still being comfortable which would pretty much depend on the person. You're not supposed to have it over the cervix though because evidently it leaks if you do.

That sounds like it could cause some really nasty infections after a while if you don't properly clean it, wich must happen to someone eventually since many so people are too lazy.

Yeah but when it comes to being a risk for infection, tampons are actually pretty bad.

Super-absorbent tampons don’t just provide a useful petri dish for this conversion. They also dry out the vagina, leading to lacerations, lesion and ulcerations when they are removed. They also leave small fibres behind that can irritate the delicate mucous membrane inside the vagina. These ulcerations and irritations provide entry points for opportunistic bacteria. The Women’s Environmental Network (www.wen.org.uk) has gathered data showing that up to three-quarters of all tampon users have some alteration to the mucous membrane of the vagina.

Amalthea

Banned
That sounds like it could cause some really nasty infections after a while if you don't properly clean it, wich must happen to someone eventually since many so people are too lazy.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I've been using that for over a year, after two internet friends recommended it (independently from each others) and haven't looked back. Never needed to clean it in a public bathroom either. I do use some panty shields on the first day or two because sometimes it drips a little when the flow is thicker, but for the most part it's extremely convenient and actually comfortable, you don't feel it after a few minutes.

Plus it's cheaper and more environmental friendly than pads :)

Edit: no infection either, I think it's probably cleaner than pads or tampons to be honest. It's made of silicone.

I've been using that for over a year, after two internet friends recommended it (independently from each others) and haven't looked back. Never needed to clean it in a public bathroom either. I do use some panty shields on the first day or two because sometimes it drips a little when the flow is thicker, but for the most part it's extremely convenient and actually comfortable, you don't feel it after a few minutes.

Plus it's cheaper and more environmental friendly than pads :)

Edit: no infection either, I think it's probably cleaner than pads or tampons to be honest. It's made of silicone.

Do you ever feel like it could shift/dislodge if you sneezed really hard?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I have chronic allergies and sneeze really hard just about every day. It never came close to dislodging or shifting in all the times I've worn it, no matter what happened.

The only inconvenient I find is... well, I don't know how open you guys are for sex during your period, but yeah, no more spontaneous sex like that... ;)

I have chronic allergies and sneeze really hard just about every day. It never came close to dislodging or shifting in all the times I've worn it, no matter what happened.

The only inconvenient I find is... well, I don't know how open you guys are for sex during your period, but yeah, no more spontaneous sex like that... ;)

I'm DTF as ever when I'm on my period, but it isn't always up to me. :[

How long did it take for you to get used to? Am I right about how it's not supposed to go all the way to the back? Is it hard to take out without causing a mess?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Maybe a day or two? At first I had some leaks because I wasn't really fitting it correctly but I got the hang of it pretty quick, it's not really complicated. And no you don't push it all the way back, but if it ever goes inside too deep you can, well, just "force" (like a bowel movement) and reach in. Never caused a mess for me, though I wash my hands before and after regardless.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Now I sound like a TV ad character XD but I've been using DivaCup, simply because it was the only brand I found in stock at my pharmacy. I'm guessing other brands are just fine, but I haven't tried them.

Blackhead

Redarse
Any recommendations for deodorant/antiperspirant? I don't mean what should a guy use 'so girls wetting their knickers and/or falling to their knees moaning in ecstasy because of the scent they have on'. I'm considering shaving + 'female' products if that's more effective at managing sweat...

meow

While we're on the topic, what's everyone's favorite pads?

Asking b/c I visited S. Korea and had to get a pack of pads there and omg they are amazing...super soft and cottony, they just feel like part of my underwear or something. They're made my Kotex but I guess they have different products for different markets because the Kotex pads I've tried here in the US are not comparable. Ever since I got on BC my periods have been short and light, so I don't need super intense pads and the ones I've tried all feel plasticky and gross now.

Kisaya

I did some research on those cups before, but I think it'd be a while until I actually try one out ^_^; I used tampons for the first time since I got my period while I was going to a festival, and needed some protection that would last long since it's impossible to use a bathroom there. I found it soooo uncomfortable to take out though, and as much as I hate pads I think I prefer them more.

I thought one of the reasons for using the cups was that you can have sex without causing a mess :0

Any recommendations for deodorant/antiperspirant? I don't mean what should a guy use 'so girls wetting their knickers and/or falling to their knees moaning in ecstasy because of the scent they have on'. I'm considering shaving + 'female' products if that's more effective at managing sweat...

Dove deodorant is pretty great. I've been using it for years (hard stick) with no issues

If you're considering shaving, I cannot stress the importance of shaving cream enough. It's magical. It does a better job as opposed to just soap, and your skin is so incredibly silky smooth afterwards. I can't remember what brand I use, but I know it's mango something and it comes in an orange can. The lid has ripples on it too.

iirate

Just want to say, I'm employed again! I've been out of work for nearly a year, and even though I've had an unbelievable amount of support from friends, depending on others so much has been killing me. It's just a part time position, but I'm going to be able to work from home and the pay is decent. I can't express how good it feels to see a light at the end of this tunnel.

So, the job fell through. =(

I just spent the last two days in bed, alternating between crying and sleeping, and not doing a whole lot else. All I was able to think about is what a burden I've been on my friends recently, and how I need to get away from them before I drag anyone else down with me. Everything has felt so stacked against me recently, and thrice now it's seemed like I had found a really good opportunity, only to lose it just as suddenly.

Well, I'm up today, plenty of coffee in my system, trying to get going again. As scared and frustrated as I am right now, the thought of homelessness and failure has been enough to keep me trying.

I just spent the last two days in bed, alternating between crying and sleeping, and not doing a whole lot else. All I was able to think about is what a burden I've been on my friends recently, and how I need to get away from them before I drag anyone else down with me. Everything has felt so stacked against me recently, and thrice now it's seemed like I had found a really good opportunity, only to lose it just as suddenly.

Well, I'm up today, plenty of coffee in my system, trying to get going again. As scared and frustrated as I am right now, the thought of homelessness and failure has been enough to keep me trying.

I'm terribly sorry to hear that. I know the feeling :(

But you're right, you just gotta keep at it. Something will come through. Stay positive and patient and remember that your unemployment is temporary. I'm going through the same thing, so if you ever need a cyber shoulder to cry on, you are always welcome to send me a PM.

iirate

I'm terribly sorry to hear that. I know the feeling :(

But you're right, you just gotta keep at it. Something will come through. Stay positive and patient and remember that your unemployment is temporary. I'm going through the same thing, so if you ever need a cyber shoulder to cry on, you are always welcome to send me a PM.

Thanks. There was a point where everyone kept telling me that things were going to get better soon, and I got so sick of hearing it that I started telling myself the opposite. I have some really awesome friends that have never stopped believing in me - I've kept telling myself that they don't know me as well as I do, and that I'm worthless and doomed and that they can't see it because they only see the image I project to them.

Even if I'm right and things don't get better, I have to keep trying - and maybe at least humor the idea that my friends know better than I do.

Dove deodorant is pretty great. I've been using it for years (hard stick) with no issues

If you're considering shaving, I cannot stress the importance of shaving cream enough. It's magical. It does a better job as opposed to just soap, and your skin is so incredibly silky smooth afterwards. I can't remember what brand I use, but I know it's mango something and it comes in an orange can. The lid has ripples on it too.

I've used Tom's of Maine's deodorant for years now, mostly because it's aluminum-free(I'm allergic) and easy enough to find in stores. I'm pretty happy with it, but I haven't really used much else, either. I tried one of Lush's deodorant bars a while back, but didn't really find it too effective.

Also, I can't imagine shaving with just water, but I really prefer shaving lotions to creams. All of the shaving creams I've tried dry out my skin super easily, but lotions obviously aren't as harsh.

Aiustis

As disheartening as things may be right now, just keep on moving forward. Also what are friends for if not to help keep you up when things get you down.

I'm sorry this is WAY off topic but does anyone here have any thoughts on menstrual cups? Tampon Run topic on the Gaming Forum made me think to ask, so I guess its purpose was served! But yeah, this is what I'm talking about:

I've known these were a thing for a while but I don't know anyone who actually uses them outside of the women on the internet who rave about them. For every 3 positive impressions I read there's 1 person who had a bad experience. Has anyone here ever used one before and is it worth giving a try next time I'm on my period?

I'd want to try it when I don't have any plans to go out. The scariest thing preventing me from using one (apart from leaks) is cleaning/maintaining it inside a public restroom. Though supposedly you can leave it in for so long that this usually isn't an issue. Also, if I sneeze or something could it shift and leak?

I use one. Takes some practice to get it in just right. You have to make sure you get the right sized one. It's worth a try. if it's in you right you don't feel it. Leaks won't happen if it's in you right except if it gets full or one of the little holes in it gets clogged.. Sneezing and movement won't be an issue. I done kung fu, capoeira and cycling with mine in.

The length before it fills depends on your flow level. I find that at my heaviest it has to be emptied in about 5 hours, but I only have to do that once. Every other time it last me for eight. It bumps my menstruation down to 2-3 days though. The most annoying thing is that it goes deep inside you when you sleep so it's best not to try and take it out first thing when you wake up. (takes about an hour and a half for me)

I suppliment it with these

My wife's exact words about the Diva Cup: "It's a bit weird to get a hang of, but it is awesome. Also, it is not the only brand, so if it not the right shape for you there are other brands."

Like Aiustis, though, she does supplement it with pads. Also, she's never sneezed hers out, but from everything she's said they do seem to shift in the night (though on the upside: no worries about toxic shock if you forget it overnight, just some messiness). They also seem to require that you check and rinse them every so often -- sometimes in public restrooms -- but it's not as if my wife has to go running to check hers every hour or anything.

Blackhead

Redarse

I've used Tom's of Maine's deodorant for years now, mostly because it's aluminum-free(I'm allergic) and easy enough to find in stores. I'm pretty happy with it, but I haven't really used much else, either. I tried one of Lush's deodorant bars a while back, but didn't really find it too effective.

Also, I can't imagine shaving with just water, but I really prefer shaving lotions to creams. All of the shaving creams I've tried dry out my skin super easily, but lotions obviously aren't as harsh.
Thanks, especially iirate for answering my question even though you have bigger concerns. good luck with the job search

Damn, I'm so sorry to hear that. I know how hard it is to keep making those applications and apparently getting nowhere (the company I work for is sinking fast and I'm looking for a lifeboat) but keep going and you will get somewhere.

*all the hugs*

I'm sure your friends don't see you as a burden, and they'll likely be worried if you suddenly shut them out. A good long chat can be so cathartic - even if you can only do it over the phone. I've called my best friend and my mum for so many pep talks!

*yet more hugs*

Sorry for posting twice in quick succession!

I use Mitchum deodorant. I think you'd have to be trying very hard to sweat through that! They do ones with neutral scents if you'd rather not smell like baby powder.

Unfortunately the reason it works so well is because it contains a fair bit of aluminium, which isn't to everyone's liking.

It doesn't give me any problems after shaving though.

iirate

Damn, I'm so sorry to hear that. I know how hard it is to keep making those applications and apparently getting nowhere (the company I work for is sinking fast and I'm looking for a lifeboat) but keep going and you will get somewhere.

*all the hugs*

I'm sure your friends don't see you as a burden, and they'll likely be worried if you suddenly shut them out. A good long chat can be so cathartic - even if you can only do it over the phone. I've called my best friend and my mum for so many pep talks!

*yet more hugs*

Funnily enough, both my mom and my best friend have been full of pep talks the whole way - I just got tired of hearing them at some point. I left my last job with enough saved up to get me through the next six months or so, and I had been there for six years, so I figured finding work wouldn't be an issue with my experience, references, and history with my last job. Finding a new job actually ended up being a massive pain in the ass, and my best friend even convinced me to move back to my home town after exhausting my options where I was living.

I know I've been my own worst enemy, especially recently, so the goal right now is to dwell less on the negative.

Aiustis

I absolutely can't wear any antiperspirant. I get whatever all natural deodorant the little store around here sells; it changes but the ones I like the most are Desert Essence and Alba. I tried Tom's but it made my armpit peel and itch.

LTTP: Guardians of the Galaxy

So I just saw this finally. It was a fun movie with an extremely likable cast.

But the real reason I'm making this post is because ohhhh myyyyy. I didn't even know who Chris Pratt was before this. The guy is boyfriend material.

suzu

But the real reason I'm making this post is because ohhhh myyyyy. I didn't even know who Chris Pratt was before this. The guy is boyfriend material.

Watch the tv show Parks and Recreation for more Chris Pratt!

Also it's a good show. lol

soepje

Every year I tell myself I'm going to carve a pumpkin, then I never do. 2014 shall be the year of the pumpkin!
I'm always too late, by the time I remember they only have tiny ones left. I feel like I need big pumpkins to really make use of my undiscovered talents.
I have an idea, Blood- GirlGAF PUMPKIN CARVING CONTEST.

Or exhibition, rather. We all post pictures of pumpkins that we carved :D. (&maybe a little post-it with our GAF names on it so we can claim it is ours).
Awesome idea!

I'm sorry to hear that. I know that feeling and it really sucks. Try not to let it get you down, you really just need one lucky break, and you will get it sooner or later. Wish you the best of luck on your hunt!

That movie really surprised me. I only saw the trailer beforehand and I thought it was awful. Went to see it anyway because some people really wanted to see it and I was pleasantly surprised. Good movie!

______

Today the hubby and I will find out if our kid is doing good and growing well. We'll also find out if it's going to be a boy or a girl <3. I'm really nervous and excited at the same time. Hope all is well. But damn, the kid isnt even here yet and I'm constantly worried already, makes me wonder what the future will bring :eek:

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Girl-depression-GAF, has anyone got any tips for dealing with super low moods partially related to body image?

I'm going through a real low at the moment (been signed off work) and would like to be able to function outside of videogames again. :(

Amalthea

Banned
I dunno, my week was shitty too. First I was really bitchy and moody then I was utterly depressed and today I'm nauseaous.

I tried to take a bath and simply relax. But that only works to some extent.

Do you take any meds?

soepje

Girl-depression-GAF, has anyone got any tips for dealing with super low moods partially related to body image?

I'm going through a real low at the moment (been signed off work) and would like to be able to function outside of videogames again. :(
I'm sorry you feel so shitty :(

What helped me a lot before was to just go out for walks, and later running outside. Especially in the evening when it's dark out with not to many people around. People seem to pay less attention to you when its dark, and combined with the fresh air i just got a little sense of freedom out of it. With running you also get to notice you are improving quite fast, it really made me feel good to know i was getting better at it bit by bit.

I don't know you well, so i really don't know if it would actually work for you. But maybe something sporty would do you some good?

I know this is hard but try to not isolate yourself too much. just ask a close friend to come over or something. it may just take your mind off things instead of risking overthinking stuff and overanalyzing yourself. this is all stuff that gets worse and worse when you're avoiding social situations, even if social situations might be what you're scared of

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I dunno, my week was shitty too. First I was really bitchy and moody then I was utterly depressed and today I'm nauseaous.

I tried to take a bath and simply relax. But that only works to some extent.

Do you take any meds?

A mountain!

What helped me a lot before was to just go out for walks, and later running outside. Especially in the evening when it's dark out with not to many people around. People seem to pay less attention to you when its dark, and combined with the fresh air i just got a little sense of freedom out of it. With running you also get to notice you are improving quite fast, it really made me feel good to know i was getting better at it bit by bit.

I don't know you well, so i really don't know if it would actually work for you. But maybe something sporty would do you some good?

A walk sounds good. We're gonna try that this weekend.

I know this is hard but try to not isolate yourself too much. just ask a close friend to come over or something. it may just take your mind off things instead of risking overthinking stuff and overanalyzing yourself. this is all stuff that gets worse and worse when you're avoiding social situations, even if social situations might be what you're scared of

I think you might be right, as much as that sucks. I do have tickets for EGX next week. I'll see what happens.

iirate

This is such good advice. A couple of years ago, I was in the habit of getting up early, jogging, then doing some basic yoga routines on youtube(from this guy's page) before getting ready in the morning. I felt phenomenal. I also did P90 for a while, and sometimes I'd get home from work really worn out and aching, but I'd force myself to to work out instead of just crashing like I wanted to. Every time, I felt much better after working out.

I'm way, way, out of shape right now compared to back then, but I've been getting up at 5 each morning and walking 3 miles, just around my neighborhood. It does help.

Sorry to hear that, iirate :< You are so strong ;__; Even though everything's stacked against you, you're still up and trying to get going again. Much respect. And hugs are here if you wants them <3

:< hugs for you too <3

I've never been depressed so all of you who are struggling with this, you have all my support if you need it. Anything at all, let me know if any of you wants PMs or pic spam of cute things or wants to talk here about off-the-wall topics, i can also draw you stuff, etc <3 Cuz though I've never been depressed, I know it it a very real struggle and sufferers do not choose to have depressions. All I really wanna say is that I respect y'all for staying strong and struggling through.

o7

As for my week, it's been terrible but nothing compared to what some of you seem to be going through x___x

This week for me was tiredness from long hours at work, then yesterday the phone company decided to bill me for data I havent used so, I'm moving away stat from that company and it means I'll be without a functioning phone for a while. Hassle-hassle-hassle. But other than that, I'm glad today's Friday \o/

On another note, I bookmark GirlGAF under "GG" and then a friend (who's a huge KPop fans) was using my laptop for a bit, and she thought I was suddenly into Girl Generations, and she was like clickyclicky only to discover ..............our fabness. She is now trying to get a GAF account :D

aaaaaaaaaaa i almost missed soepje's news about the bb !!!

exciting! :D hope your little one is growing well and nicely <3 let us know neeeews <3

oh, as for my pick-up, i usually go through old nostalgic music and movies when i'm down. then when i'm cheered up a bit, i make more effort to take another step further, like call and catch up with someone i haven't talked to for awhile and things like that. basically, tiny steps. cuz i donno about you girls, but when im low, i can't even muster the energy for positivity, i just sort of hunker down and frolick for a bit in my inner sanctum, sort of thing

:x

Sevarus

On another note, I bookmark GirlGAF under "GG" and then a friend (who's a huge KPop fans) was using my laptop for a bit, and she thought I was suddenly into Girl Generations, and she was like clickyclicky only to discover ..............our fabness. She is now trying to get a GAF account :D

As someone who is a huge fan of both GirlGAF and Girls' Generation, this made me smile. I hope her account gets approved in a relatively timely manner! The K-Pop thread needs more women posting in it!

suzu

I know it's easier said than done, but don't let things get bottled up. Let it out and try to stay positive doing things you enjoy.

As someone who is a huge fan of both GirlGAF and Girls' Generation, this made me smile. I hope her account gets approved in a relatively timely manner! The K-Pop thread needs more women posting in it!

I like listening to it, but.. K-Pop GAF's a bit too much for me. lol

Pau

I wish I could give some advice. The only thing that's every worked has been to stay busy and more busy. And try not to read certain threads on GAF. <<

Kisaya

Going to the gym did me some good. Although I didn't get great results, it was a nice feeling being there and I felt super confident about my body after a good gym day.

soepje

Ooh let us know, congratulations, and here's to your child! /toast

Do you have names picked out yet?

(Also, don't worry.... everyone is just sort of winging parenthood, from what I'm told.)

aaaaaaaaaaa i almost missed soepje's news about the bb !!!

exciting! :D hope your little one is growing well and nicely <3 let us know neeeews <3
They could not find any anomalies, everything looked fine. I'm really so relieved :D! We didn't get a good look on its face bc it was holding their hands in front of it all the time. But from the parts and pieces we did manage to see everything looked fine there too.

We also know what it's going to be! But we are keeping it secret for now. Some people i know irl know i post here too, so i rather not share it here either atm. But i'm sure it's a little gamertje in the making :D

We were set on one name, but it turned out to be from the other sex so it's back to the drawing board with that one :p

This is such good advice. A couple of years ago, I was in the habit of getting up early, jogging, then doing some basic yoga routines on youtube(from this guy's page) before getting ready in the morning. I felt phenomenal. I also did P90 for a while, and sometimes I'd get home from work really worn out and aching, but I'd force myself to to work out instead of just crashing like I wanted to. Every time, I felt much better after working out.

I'm way, way, out of shape right now compared to back then, but I've been getting up at 5 each morning and walking 3 miles, just around my neighborhood. It does help.
It's kind of interesting how that works huh. Especially in the beginning it seems so difficult to actually start doing something. But afterwards i just always felt so much better.

Chuckie

First time I wander in this thread (am I even allowed here?) and I find out Soepje is pregnant??????

Congratulations girl!!!! <3
Dikke vette knuffel voor je!

Top Bottom