• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Sevarus

I know it's easier said than done, but don't let things get bottled up. Let it out and try to stay positive doing things you enjoy.

As someone who is a huge fan of both GirlGAF and Girls' Generation, this made me smile. I hope her account gets approved in a relatively timely manner! The K-Pop thread needs more women posting in it!

I like listening to it, but.. K-Pop GAF's a bit too much for me. lol

Yeah, I hear that. It's one of those tricky situations we get on GAF all the time, where a section could really use more women in it, but the atmosphere is... not exactly welcoming.

Pau

A guy in my compsci class is browsing NeoGAF. I know GAF is pretty popular but I've never seen someone browsing. :eek:

iirate

Today the hubby and I will find out if our kid is doing good and growing well. We'll also find out if it's going to be a boy or a girl <3. I'm really nervous and excited at the same time. Hope all is well. But damn, the kid isnt even here yet and I'm constantly worried already, makes me wonder what the future will bring :eek:

I missed this at the bottom of your post earlier - congrats soepje!

A guy in my compsci class is browsing NeoGAF. I know GAF is pretty popular but I've never seen someone browsing. :eek:

It's weird, I am doing a study in Game Development, and all the classes related to game development are together, so I am talking about hundreds of people, and yet I've still never seen anyone browse GAF.

I'm sure plenty know it, but I've still haven't seen anyone browse it.

iirate

I have a ton of gamer friends, many of which are far more interested in video games than I am, but despite that, I don't think any of them are active on GAF. Most of my friends know GAF only because I tell them stories from the site sometimes.

Kinsei

Banned
They could not find any anomalies, everything looked fine. I'm really so relieved :D! We didn't get a good look on its face bc it was holding their hands in front of it all the time. But from the parts and pieces we did manage to see everything looked fine there too.

We also know what it's going to be! But we are keeping it secret for now. Some people i know irl know i post here too, so i rather not share it here either atm. But i'm sure it's a little gamertje in the making :D

We were set on one name, but it turned out to be from the other sex so it's back to the drawing board with that one :p

It's kind of interesting how that works huh. Especially in the beginning it seems so difficult to actually start doing something. But afterwards i just always felt so much better.

Congrats!!!

GarnetDust

I have a ton of gamer friends, many of which are far more interested in video games than I am, but despite that, I don't think any of them are active on GAF. Most of my friends know GAF only because I tell them stories from the site sometimes.

I need to find more friends like these friends you speak of. c:

They could not find any anomalies, everything looked fine. I'm really so relieved :D! We didn't get a good look on its face bc it was holding their hands in front of it all the time. But from the parts and pieces we did manage to see everything looked fine there too.

We also know what it's going to be! But we are keeping it secret for now. Some people i know irl know i post here too, so i rather not share it here either atm. But i'm sure it's a little gamertje in the making :D

We were set on one name, but it turned out to be from the other sex so it's back to the drawing board with that one :p

Grats soepje!!!! So wonderful to hear that everything looks alright and normal :D

&#10084;&#10084;&#10084;

I have never seen anyone browse GAF in real but I look forward to it!!!

soepje

Thanks guys :)! Really need to get used a bit to the fact that we know what it's going to be. But now that everything looks good it's time to start shopping :D

Thanks guys :)! Really need to get used a bit to the fact that we know what it's going to be. But now that everything looks good it's time to start shopping :D

That's so exciting! Congratulations - and have fun shopping!

I had to get a present for my best friend's son earlier this week (he's just turned one) and all the adorable little toys and outfits... it was impossible not to feel broody! There was a tiny pink hat with cat ears that was SO cute! And little cuddly dinosaurs!

Less happily, some of the comments in this thread just make me want to up sticks and leave - especially the creepy stalkery stuff going on outside the forum. I used to just lurk to read news and opinions about Assassin's Creed, and I could very easily do that without an account. At the very least, I'll probably stop bothering posting in OT. &#128530;

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I have found that despite having a girl in my avatar, people are reinforced in the 'male is default' mindset by my username. While it feels a bit strange when people call me Dude or Man, I'll take it over a dissection of my looks.
I have a female nickname and avatar, and I still routinely get mistaken for a dude. I don't know how that can happen so often, but I'm not complaining if it means avoiding being treated like a girl on the internet.

suzu

Yeah, I hear that. It's one of those tricky situations we get on GAF all the time, where a section could really use more women in it, but the atmosphere is... not exactly welcoming.

Yeah, it's kinda off-putting. And I like mostly YG artists so I don't think I would have much to post about in that thread. hah..

Less happily, some of the comments in this thread just make me want to up sticks and leave - especially the creepy stalkery stuff going on outside the forum. I used to just lurk to read news and opinions about Assassin's Creed, and I could very easily do that without an account. At the very least, I'll probably stop bothering posting in OT. &#128530;

The gamer drama going on is one thing that makes me a bit wary and not want to speak up about certain topics, even though I'm a nobody.

Cat

"Wow, you like Tekken and YOU'RE A GIRL!" - Cute the first few times but then suggests an alarmingly sheltered life.

"If I'd known you were a girl, I would have gone easy on you," after one of very few matches I've played online for Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection.

Something about how someone thought I'd be sexy/skinny when posting about my baby girl.

Something about looking old. The person I addressed did reflect on what he said and apologized, and there was no ill will left between us. I think he was rather young.

Yeah, it happens. No one cares what I say on Twitter so no problems there. I just get random spam sometimes.

Anastasia

Congrats soepje! That is wonderful to hear.

I hear you, BRS.

I choose not to post very specific info about me, and have no social media/online pics. I respect women who do, but I personally don't have the energy to deal with any reactions. I also try to make sure I don't connect my video game persona with any, say, work related accounts I might have.

I have found that despite having a girl in my avatar, people are reinforced in the 'male is default' mindset by my username. While it feels a bit strange when people call me Dude or Man, I'll take it over a dissection of my looks.

I have more specific personal info about me out there, but am careful about who sees it. I've had negative interactions with people online over my being a girl, but it has usually been from them seeing my nickname; for example, some guy joined my squad in Battlefield 4, and then his friend called me a "stupid bitch." Or guys following me around in Destiny trying to "hump" me. More name calling, angry private messages, sexual comments, etc. I won't let interactions like that force me to leave, however, because I feel like leaving is allowing those people to win; instead, I isolate the problem and deal with that (which is ignoring and blocking them 99% of the time), while still retaining my enjoyment of the game and community.

I don't know what people on GAF have thought of the many avatars I have used, but I would not be surprised if there's a lot of negative shit; if that's the case though, and people want to avoid me or assume things because of super petty shit like that, I'm glad. I don't want to deal with those people either.

Wazzy

Banned
The "How it feels to be a woman online" thread got really weird. I suppose that's why it got deleted. Sorry you had to put up with that bullshit Dax. Both of the posters trying to start shit(Spongebob and Insti) were extremely ignorant and it's gross the guy followed you on twitter after.

The one guy saying we're pretending to get harassed was so smh worthy. Surprised he didn't get banned.

The "How it feels to be a woman online" thread got really weird. I suppose that's why it got deleted. Sorry you had to put up with that bullshit Dax. Both of the posters trying to start shit(Spongebob and Insti) were extremely ignorant and it's gross the guy followed you on twitter after.

The one guy saying we're pretending to get harassed was so smh worthy. Surprised he didn't get banned.

Yeah, I don't think I'll be posting anymore personal examples of harassment if I'm going to be blamed by some for talking about it.

*sigh*

Edit: Props to the moderation team, though! Thanks for that, guys.

Yeah, it was a weird thread and so full with denial and animosity. All that ick bubbling up to the surface. I sure made some notes against some posters in that thread >___>

Dax, it was bs how they tried to pin the blame on you there. Like I said in there, you didn't do anything wrong and it is NOT your fault that Spongebob is a massive tool.

But yeah, kudos to Mods Team o7

AquaMotley with his LOL line on how it is women's fault that men are coming into the thread with "but men has it hard too ;__;" ..... omg I just couldn't even rage at his posts ... they are so full with "look you guys are weak-minded fools but i am above all that for i am a man of hard evidenz"

...... okai sweetie~

XD;

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The last thing I saw was some guy blaming Dax for somehow "luring" that banned moron to her twitter account, and calling him out for it. I don't know what happened next, but I can't say I'm really sad about it. Because if it got deleted, then it must have been really awful.

Dash_

I didn't even step into that thread because I had a feeling as to how it would develop. Shame that it seems to have been a clusterfuck.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hey all

Thanks for all of the support re: my brain. Going to see doctor again today and likely to be signed off for one more week. I'm getting better now, thankfully. Suicidal bulls**t has cleared and it's just general sulk-rubbish which if I know me should hopefully clear out in a few days like it usually does. Very lucky to have a supportive employer.

Congrats Soepje btw :) and hope all is ok iirate.

and I'm glad I didn't read that thread. Hope you are all ok.

Found some random photos I took when visiting Chester zoo last autumn so I thought I'd share a few. The red panda in paticular was a photogenic little bugger! Fucking adorable.

GrUIWb1.jpg

AjuI3X1.png

AUidHAr.jpg

I never knew this thread existed. I have lived a sheltered life in the gaming discussion area.

Now I find there is a GirlGAF and a vegan thread all in one afternoon. I sound like an old person who would not click on THAT button on the computer in case they launched a full on WWIII missile strike.

Just thought I would say hello here and thanks to YesNOnoNOYes from another thread as they mentioned this thread.

I never knew this thread existed. I have lived a sheltered life in the gaming discussion area.

Now I find there is a GirlGAF and a vegan thread all in one afternoon. I sound like an old person who would not click on THAT button on the computer in case they launched a full on WWIII missile strike.

Just thought I would say hello here and thanks to YesNOnoNOYes from another thread as they mentioned this thread.

:D hi hi

Welcome !

I'm the other way around.... I should visit gaming discussions more haha .___.;;;;

on another note, that Emma Watson thread was super inspiring and then super demoralizing ...... ;___; why gaf why ;___;

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Hello!

YesNO rocks. We all know it :)

For me it's this thread, britgaf and Destiny. They are nice safe spaces.

iirate

Welcome! =D

There's actually been quite a few vegan threads on this site over the years, but unlike the others, this latest one seems to have stuck. Ironically, this is the only one I'm aware of that I haven't really been active in at all.

Been having a quick look through the thread and saw some questions people have answered so here are mine:

Where are you from?
UK

Where do you live?
UK

What is your age?

What are your interests?
Video games, exercising, animals, sport

Is there anything else you wish to share with us about you?
I spend more time reading about games than playing them. I enjoy competitive online gaming when the mood takes.

I have a strong care for animals and we have a fair few here that have been rescued or haven't been wanted anymore. An African Grey parrot named Byron lives with us. He is very polite for a parrot and only swears occasionally.

My partner and I have been together for 20 years. Yes, 20 years and we haven't married. I don't know if that is normal but there you go.

Favourite Games

Hawken and Titanfall were games I excelled at but I haven't been back to them as of late. Borderlands 2 is a game I have hit pretty hard in recent times. There are far too many games from my past to list here but let's say the Super Nintendo era was my favourite.

PSN/Xbox/Steam name, etc.

Steam: Cyanide Fuse
Wii U: Cyanide Fuse (can't remember if it has a space in or not!)

Aiustis

Found some random photos I took when visiting Chester zoo last autumn so I thought I'd share a few. The red panda in paticular was a photogenic little bugger! Fucking adorable.

Aww it certainly is. Whenever I see a red panda, I'm reminded of one of my best online friends. He was this really sweet and funny guy who went by the name of Redpancyborg.Talked to him almost every day. He had duchenne muscular dystrophy. He used to get me to buy the craziest coolest stuff. Like this:

Selk_bag_-Classic-Forest-Green1.jpeg

iirate

I spend more time reading about games than playing them. I enjoy competitive online gaming when the mood takes.

Sounds like a typical GAFer! =P

I pretty much just play Blizzard games at this point(they're sorta like comfort foods to me), and most of my favorite games are from eras past(sucks to be a Nintendo fan these days when your favorite franchises are Metroid, Mother, F-Zero, Warioware and Advance Wars - never cared much for Mario, Zelda, or FE) . I skim gaming side for news still, but it's mostly out of habit as I've pretty much lost interest in most of modern gaming.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Been having a quick look through the thread and saw some questions people have answered so here are mine:

Where are you from?
UK

Where do you live?
UK

What is your age?

What are your interests?
Video games, exercising, animals, sport

I have a strong care for animals and we have a fair few here that have been rescued or haven't been wanted anymore. An African Grey parrot named Byron lives with us. He is very polite for a parrot and only swears occasionally.

My partner and I have been together for 20 years. Yes, 20 years and we haven't married. I don't know if that is normal but there you go.

Favourite Games

Hawken and Titanfall were games I excelled at but I haven't been back to them as of late. Borderlands 2 is a game I have hit pretty hard in recent times. There are far too many games from my past to list here but let's say the Super Nintendo era was my favourite.

Steam: Cyanide Fuse
Wii U: Cyanide Fuse (can't remember if it has a space in or not!)

Woop someone else from the UK!!!!!! And my partner and I have been engaged for 10
Years and not married yet. We're still happy. :)

Hi GirlGAF! YesNO reminded me that this was a thing, so I'm gonna give it another go. I don't post much on GAF anyways though, but I'd like to try to stick around e,e'

Where are you from?
The Bahamas

Where do you live?
Canada (for school)

What is your age?
20 (21 next Wednesday!!)

What are your interests?
The ocean, video games, webcomics, cartoons.

Please call me Pan (I should get a mod to change my username).

I'm pretty darn gay, I'm studying Environmental Science so I can do something in Tropical Marine Ecosystem Management or something, I'm not white.

I love animals and I wanted to be a vet for a very long time. But vet school is a long process and takes a lot of money, and I feel like I'd rather be scuba diving and taking coral surveys than putting down animals or something (I worked for my uncle who is a vet for a summer). I still volunteer at the animal shelter at home whenever I can.

Also I'm graduating in May, yay!!

Favourite Games

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker is my all time favourite game for personal reasons. I try to play through it once a year, ahaha. I also love Pokemon, Kirby, all other Zelda games, Mario Galaxy games (I'm a big Nintendo fan haha). I'm getting in to Steam/PC games now though. I loved Bastion, Gone Home, and Borderlands (currently and very slowly making my way through BL2).

Steam: kyrafawxe
Wii U: Panthalassic (I think?)

Mistel

Banned
I want to do environmental science or earth sciences at uni.

Now that my hair is getting longer it seems to be more chesnut brown in places go figure.

I really love ENVS! It's a great mixed of bio, geo, chem (ew), and whatever else you want really (I'm pretty bio focused). I'm sad it's almost over. The people here are so nice, but I can't wait to get back to the ocean.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
GrUIWb1.jpg

AjuI3X1.png

AUidHAr.jpg
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww *melts* Red pandas and large cats? You know the way to my heart, friend.

That shot of the leopards is awesome. They're both staring blankly, like, "what are you looking at, human?". Or perhaps they're thinking, "you came to the wrong neighbourhood, motherfucker".

(Don't mind me, I like anthropomorphizing animal thoughts based on their facial expression and body language... xD)

on another note, that Emma Watson thread was super inspiring and then super demoralizing ...... ;___; why gaf why ;___;
I know, right. Luckily it seems more or less back on track. Can't thank the mods enough for their hard work. Waking up to seeing that misogynistic moron with a greyed out name certainly brought a smile to my face. I think I knew it would happen, too, which is why I gave up in my rebuttal of his nonsense halfway through.

14 years here. No intention of ever getting married, so, I'd say so, otherwise I'm not normal either. :)

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww *melts* Red pandas and large cats? You know the way to my heart, friend.

That shot of the leopards is awesome. They're both staring blankly, like, "what are you looking at, human?". Or perhaps they're thinking, "you came to the wrong neighbourhood, motherfucker".

(Don't mind me, I like anthropomorphizing animal thoughts based on their facial expression and body language... xD)

I know, right. Luckily it seems more or less back on track. Can't thank the mods enough for their hard work. Waking up to seeing that misogynistic moron with a greyed out name certainly brought a smile to my face. I think I knew it would happen, too, which is why I gave up in my rebuttal of his nonsense halfway through.

14 years here. No intention of ever getting married, so, I'd say so, otherwise I'm not normal either. :)

Haha, you too cute morriii <3 I love how you put dialogs on to the cheetah pic XD so adorbs <3

And yesyes, i love the good work Mods are putting in GAF. Cuz them threads about women can be super demoralizing like whoa. Back to back with the other thread that just got deleted, I was super deflated when Emma's thread devolved into "MEN ARE ALSO WAAAAAAHHHHHHH"

>___>

But omg i love Mumei to bits

He's like made out of awesomeness and smarts and god-tier patience level.

MUMEI, here's a shout out for you <3 ILU <3

ALSO: Welcome Homestuck <3 Glad to see you here :D Wow you're into Environmental Science! That is super cool :> I have mad respects for you girls who are in scientific fields. I have no brainz for it .___.

But I love sea creatures. They are super beautiful and majestic and the ocean's ecosystem is just breathtaking.

Iksenpets

Banned
Hey GirlGAF, I'm actually here with a question from my girlfriend who's looking for input from other girl gamers on something but doesn't have an account here. I hope this isn't breaking any rules or anything. She's gotten really into Destiny lately, but doesn't have a whole lot of people she knows to play with, and is wondering if any other girls have tips for playing with people online while avoiding all the creeps and douchebags out there. I dunno if any of you know of any good places online for a girl to find people to play with safely, or just general tips on playing online without getting harassed or stalked or whatever else. Right now she's playing with a few of her friends and a few of mine, but I think she's looking for ways to network with people who play the game more seriously to do some of the higher level endgame stuff, but is scared to because of the obvious concern with how awful these communities can be. So yeah, any advice or recommendations are much appreciated. Thanks!

Allow me to destroy your world view:

angler-fish_222_600x450.jpg

blobfish.jpg

tumblr_mc04h2LHZN1rj7bmso1_500.jpg

Ugly_Fish1.jpg

Why am I so cruel, you ask? I... don't know. ;_;

i love them weirdo fishies :D

the weirder the better. i saw more weird ones at the recent sea creature thread. that was glorious \o/

Iksen, idonno, I think maybe she can give out her gamer handle here and I'm sure if there are fellow GirlGAFfers playing the same game they can hook up? Not sure of other ways. It's a quagmire out there >____< GL to your gf o7

Deep sea fish are so cool!! Hatchetfish (3rd pic) have evolved methods to become basically invisible in their place in the water column (reflective scales, extremely thin and flat). Angler fish (1st pic) females absorb males (which are much smaller than them) until they become nothing but a pair of testicles that the female can use whenever she wants. She can have multiple 'mates' at a time too.

I really love the ocean.

Deep sea fish are so cool!! Hatchetfish (3rd pic) have evolved methods to become basically invisible in their place in the water column (reflective scales, extremely thin and flat). Angler fish (1st pic) females absorb males (which are much smaller than them) until they become nothing but a pair of testicles that the female can use whenever she wants. She can have multiple 'mates' at a time too.

I really love the ocean.

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA

Female HATCHET Fish is now BOSS TIER in my favourite creatures of all time :O

Beefy :D hahaha yesssssssssssh more women, moreeeeeee ! *sekritly mining all of your womenly energy, like a sailor moon villain*

Hey GirlGAF, I'm actually here with a question from my girlfriend who's looking for input from other girl gamers on something but doesn't have an account here. I hope this isn't breaking any rules or anything. She's gotten really into Destiny lately, but doesn't have a whole lot of people she knows to play with, and is wondering if any other girls have tips for playing with people online while avoiding all the creeps and douchebags out there. I dunno if any of you know of any good places online for a girl to find people to play with safely, or just general tips on playing online without getting harassed or stalked or whatever else. Right now she's playing with a few of her friends and a few of mine, but I think she's looking for ways to network with people who play the game more seriously to do some of the higher level endgame stuff, but is scared to because of the obvious concern with how awful these communities can be. So yeah, any advice or recommendations are much appreciated. Thanks!

When looking for people to play with, don't even tell them that she's a girl. If she does voice chat they're gonna find out, but by that point I think there's a significant chance that she won't get harassed.

To be honest, I don't even use a microphone. I never disclose that I'm a woman when gaming online, and if I do get bothered (League of Legends is a huge offender of this now that I think about it), I just mute them.

I don't know if that helped you or not, but I'd totally be willing to play with her! I haven't played in a few days though and I'm on PS4.

Top Bottom