• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Pau

Sorry for the double post. I came back from bra shopping with my mum. What a great experience. I figured y'all would understand.

The last time I went bra shopping with her, she kept comparing my breasts to hers, saying how better her implants looked despite her being older than me. And then she called me dumb for not wanting plastic surgery.

I tried to get her to leave me alone so I could go today in peace, but nope. So I've gained a bit a weight and knew I need a different bra size. I tell the manager lady and she takes one look at me and is like yeah, you need a bigger cup size. Measures me and tells me I should be wearing a 32D, maybe 32DD, instead of a 32C. I measured myself before going in and that fell in line with that I figured with those online calculators and stuff.

So whatever, I try on different styles in those sizes and turns out that 32DD fits best. My mum starts freaking out. Telling the lady helping me how I can't possible have a size that big because my breasts are too small, it must be my back that's gotten bigger with my weight, that I'm too young, that she would never wear anything that big (as if that's somehow shameful?), etc. I kept asking questions trying to get a feel for what was the best style for my shape and how a properly fitted bra is supposed to fit. The lady was super nice, but jesus christ my mum was so rude to her and making this face of disgust at me the whole time. I had to give up and apologize to the lady.

I don't fucking get it. She was so, so adamant that I couldn't possibly be a 32DD. As if that's a big cup size anyways. She kept making excuses, like how I'm too lazy to wash my bras and they'll stretch so I can't buy a cup size that big, and how she doesn't like how the 32DD looks on me because it makes my chest look too big or some bullshit. Like, I'm sorry that the smaller cup sizes were squishing my breasts and fitting on my chest really awkwardly? I noticed the difference putting on the correct size. There was also some bullshit with her trying to compare me to the pictures of models on the walls and how my breasts don't look as nice as theirs so how could I be that size? I don't even know.

It's just really upsetting. Especially since it's not just being rude to me, but being rude to someone who is trying to do their job and helping. And then she pretends like she does nothing wrong, and when I tell her I don't want to do stuff with her, she acts all surprised. Well mum, this is why.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Holy shit, your mom has... issues. So sorry you had to deal with this. :( Your mom sounds like she'd belong on notalwaysright.com. Hell you should submit that story, even though she technically wasn't the customer. ;)

Honestly, from what you are saying, it sounds like she's insecure and jealous that your boobs are bigger than hers. Which is just about the saddest most pathetic thing I can think of, especially with regards to a mother and her own daughter. Holy shit.

Tash

Sorry for the double post. I came back from bra shopping with my mum. What a great experience. I figured y'all would understand.

The last time I went bra shopping with her, she kept comparing my breasts to hers, saying how better her implants looked despite her being older than me. And then she called me dumb for not wanting plastic surgery.

I tried to get her to leave me alone so I could go today in peace, but nope. So I've gained a bit a weight and knew I need a different bra size. I tell the manager lady and she takes one look at me and is like yeah, you need a bigger cup size. Measures me and tells me I should be wearing a 32D, maybe 32DD, instead of a 32C. I measured myself before going in and that fell in line with that I figured with those online calculators and stuff.

So whatever, I try on different styles in those sizes and turns out that 32DD fits best. My mum starts freaking out. Telling the lady helping me how I can't possible have a size that big because my breasts are too small, it must be my back that's gotten bigger with my weight, that I'm too young, that she would never wear anything that big (as if that's somehow shameful?), etc. I kept asking questions trying to get a feel for what was the best style for my shape and how a properly fitted bra is supposed to fit. The lady was super nice, but jesus christ my mum was so rude to her and making this face of disgust at me the whole time. I had to give up and apologize to the lady.

I don't fucking get it. She was so, so adamant that I couldn't possibly be a 32DD. As if that's a big cup size anyways. She kept making excuses, like how I'm too lazy to wash my bras and they'll stretch so I can't buy a cup size that big, and how she doesn't like how the 32DD looks on me because it makes my chest look too big or some bullshit. Like, I'm sorry that the smaller cup sizes were squishing my breasts and fitting on my chest really awkwardly? I noticed the difference putting on the correct size. There was also some bullshit with her trying to compare me to the pictures of models on the walls and how my breasts don't look as nice as theirs so how could I be that size? I don't even know.

It's just really upsetting. Especially since it's not just being rude to me, but being rude to someone who is trying to do their job and helping. And then she pretends like she does nothing wrong, and when I tell her I don't want to do stuff with her, she acts all surprised. Well mum, this is why.

Sorry, no offense meant but..the fuck? don't even know where to start about how weird your mom is..
Thanks for the well wishes on Badger, everyone <3

Belated, but best wishes Tash and sorry for the loss. :(

Holy crap, you're mom has major issues. I'm struggling to wrap my head around this and I'm failing at it badly. In line with what Morrigan said, it sounds like her only purpose in going along is to make herself feel better by ripping you down. Pretty fucked up all around.

Pau

I'm glad it sounds like this isn't that common. But yeah... I mean, I get why my mum has all these body issues and is obsessed with beauty and plastic surgery. Growing up in Colombia will do that to you. But could she not take it out on me? :c

And the way she just refuses to accept reality in really weird situations (like a fucking bra size) is just so frustrating. She's done stuff like this before too, like when she cried in front of my college counselor because I wasn't a good enough student to get into college. Despite me being Salutatorian, having a 3.98 GPA, and getting a near perfect score on the SAT and ACT. It's this weird thing where she has this image of me in her mind and anyone (including myself) that tries to tell her otherwise just flips her world upside down and she doesn't understand and gets angry.

Honestly, from what you are saying, it sounds like she's insecure and jealous that your boobs are bigger than hers. Which is just about the saddest most pathetic thing I can think of, especially with regards to a mother and her own daughter. Holy shit.
One of my girl friend's mum is the same, about weight, and it's just so unnecessary. It is pathetic. :/ It's hard for me to believe it comes from jealousy since my mum has always been considered gorgeous and has a body I could only dream of.

Sorry y'all, I just had to rant because I didn't want to cause a scene in the store and it's impossible to tell my mum that she's doing anything wrong. At least tomorrow I'll be back home in NYC and will only have to put up with her bullshit every once and a while through phone.

Ahhhhhh...

I just finished the project I've been trapped on for over a year now. Feels weird to be sitting here and not be juggling twenty open files. I can get a haircut! I can even go outside now! Yaaaaay! :D

Aaaaahhhh

Congratulations!!!! Now go and live! and be FREE! like a bird!!!!!

Haha. I'll have to ease into that freedom. I haven't left the house in at least a week. The sun's gonna be brutal.

Now that that's put to bed I can redirect some of my time to fun stuff like the book or a friggin' honeymoon finally. Wahey~

Hope everyone else's 2015 is going good or better.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ahhhhhh...

I just finished the project I've been trapped on for over a year now. Feels weird to be sitting here and not be juggling twenty open files. I can get a haircut! I can even go outside now! Yaaaaay! :D
Congrats! Take a well-deserved rest.

Also... Based on a retweet I saw... is that the localization project of Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter, by any chance? :O

Aiustis

Can anyone tell me of good places to get professional clothes? I'm trying to not spend a whole lot maybe a single pair of pants and a few tops. Normally I go thrifting for clothes but they never have anything fancy in my size.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Oh boy, finally home and I can eat what I want! I lost 10 pounds sitting in the hospital with their awful food. FREEDOOOM! *orders chinese*

Can anyone tell me of good places to get professional clothes? I'm trying to not spend a whole lot maybe a single pair of pants and a few tops. Normally I go thrifting for clothes but they never have anything fancy in my size.
I'd actually like to know this too since I'm job hunting still. o:

Zoe

I usually get my work clothes from New York & Co with some JC Penney mixed in. Both are good for sales/clearances.

meow

US? My defaults are usually Ann Taylor or Banana Republic (sometimes J. Crew). You can get pretty good deals during sales or at the outlet stores.

Samara

Zara has some nice pants. You could buy two pants and rotate shirts/blouse. HM clearance racks are nice too. No 'Celfie' 'Flawless' shirts please. They look a little silly

lil

hi GirlGAF!

um, I guess I should introduce myself since this is my first post! I'm lil, a senior in high school, and I live in New England. I love making art and I'm currently in the process of applying to art school. I like games, books, music, tea, all that jazz. I'm also disabled, which doesn't mean much to anyone other than that I'm an occasional wheelchair user, I have a lot of doctors' appointments, and my doctors let me drink Coke every day. :)

It's a bit weird because I've lurked here for a long time and know of so many of you but you gals don't know me! Regardless, it's nice to meet you all!

Kisaya

Recently I went to H&M to find a top that was business casual for an interview, and surprisingly found a lot of nice ones (they had a whole section for it too). Pretty cheepo too.

If you're looking to spend a little more and it's in your area, try UNIQLO too. That's where I usually get my dress pants which aren't so much either and fit pretty nice :)

hi GirlGAF!

um, I guess I should introduce myself since this is my first post! I'm lil, a senior in high school, and I live in New England. I love making art and I'm currently in the process of applying to art school. I like games, books, music, tea, all that jazz. I'm also disabled, which doesn't mean much to anyone other than that I'm an occasional wheelchair user, I have a lot of doctors' appointments, and my doctors let me drink Coke every day. :)

It's a bit weird because I've lurked here for a long time and know of so many of you but you gals don't know me! Regardless, it's nice to meet you all!

Welcome girly!!
I'm pretty sure you and Pau are going to be great friends.
Which art schools are you looking to apply to by the way?

lil

Welcome girly!!
I'm pretty sure you and Pau are going to be great friends.
Which art schools are you looking to apply to by the way?

Aww, thanks Kisaya!! :) Let's see, I've applied to MassArt, Montserrat, Maine College of Art, School of Visual Arts, and Savannah College of Art and Design. Now I just have to get my portfolio in to all of those and start applying for scholarships and financial aid, because right now I can really only afford MassArt with a lot of loans, gah!

Aiustis

hi GirlGAF!

Hey welcome!

Thanks everyone for the input. I've now got some great options. I jumped on two pairs of pants because sales so I hope they fit. :)

Grimalkin

I really like JCPenney's Worthington pants. They come in 2 basic fits - Modern and Curvy. They cost about $25 a pair but I go to RetailMeNot and get coupons so I can get them for $18 or so. I typically pair them with the plain "JCP" crew neck shirt and either a button down or cardigan over top. Their blazers don't fit me so good so I always size up so the shoulders fit and then get the waist tailored (costs about $20). Their blazer are around $25-30.

If you want something a bit sexier Express has work pants but they will definitely show off your butt. I really like their button down shirts but if you have any boobs at all you have to wear something with more coverage underneath as the buttons don't go all the way to your neck.

For tops it depends how professional you have to get.

• Button Downs: Lands End (clearance and coupons!), JCPenney, Express, Ann Taylor (clearance rack!)
  • General tops: Christopher and Banks (I have found lots of really cute and modest work appropriate tops here), JCP, New York & Co., Kohl's
  • Undershirts: My current favorite is the 100% cotton JCP brand shirts. I also like Ann Taylor Loft but you have to be careful, a lot of their shirts are so thin you can see your bra through them no matter what.
Finally I have to say that I do not recommend anything from Target. Everything I have ever purchased from them falls apart after 5 or so washings.

Grimalkin

I suppose I should introduce myself too! :)

Longtime GAF lurker, I finally decided to get an account a few months ago. I have worked in the games industry for 7 years. I love all animals and am currently owned by a cat. I have been with my spouse for 10 years this year. I like games, cooking, knitting/crochet and reading.

Kisaya

Aww, thanks Kisaya!! :) Let's see, I've applied to MassArt, Montserrat, Maine College of Art, School of Visual Arts, and Savannah College of Art and Design. Now I just have to get my portfolio in to all of those and start applying for scholarships and financial aid, because right now I can really only afford MassArt with a lot of loans, gah!

Nice! Those are all great school, I pretty much know a person or two from all of them. Any specific major you want to go into? I go to SUNY Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC majoring in Visual Arts Management. If you get accepted and decide to go to SVA hit me up :)

And welcome, Grimalkin! I'm personally glad to see this thread a bit more lively again, haha.

Leeness

Welcome two new ladies!

So went into Sephora today...walked out and ended up buying chocolate. Imma give my gift card to my friend. I have no business buying anything at Sephora.

Kisaya

On the topic of makeup... coloring/filling in eyebrows is a thing that I'm wondering if I should get into. I really like how it looks, but the thing is my eyebrows are already pretty thick and dark? Maybe it's not worth the extra hassle.

Log4Girlz

Your mom has to stop judging you and your looks. This is ridiculous.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hi new people!

Nice! Those are all great school, I pretty much know a person or two from all of them. Any specific major you want to go into? I go to SUNY Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC majoring in Visual Arts Management. If you get accepted and decide to go to SVA hit me up :)

And welcome, Grimalkin! I'm personally glad to see this thread a bit more lively again, haha.

I mostly lurk this thread now, mainly because I don't know what to say! I feel very old and British! But I am pretty much always on GAF.

On the topic of makeup... coloring/filling in eyebrows is a thing that I'm wondering if I should get into. I really like how it looks, but the thing is my eyebrows are already pretty thick and dark? Maybe it's not worth the extra hassle.
Girl do it. I started filling mine in last year and I definitely noticed a different. You can really define your eyebrows that way.

Grimalkin

I agree with the others, get a cheap drugstore pencil and try it! I think a well defined brow looks polished.

lil

Thanks everyone!! :)

Oh wow, nice! I'm planning on majoring in Illustration. Visual Arts Management, that's excellent!! How do you like it? I'll totally hit you up if I end up at SVA. :D

I suppose I should introduce myself too! :)

Longtime GAF lurker, I finally decided to get an account a few months ago. I have worked in the games industry for 7 years. I love all animals and am currently owned by a cat. I have been with my spouse for 10 years this year. I like games, cooking, knitting/crochet and reading.

Yay for more newbies!! I, too, am owned by a cat. ;)

Pau

Hey lil!

I went to SVA for a year and studied Illustration as well! If you have any questions, let me know!

PS: I am also addicted to coke-a-cola. <3

lil

Hey lil!

I went to SVA for a year and studied Illustration as well! If you have any questions, let me know!

PS: I am also addicted to coke-a-cola. <3
oh my gosh, really? That's awesome, thanks so much!! <3 Nice to meet another Coke addict, too! :D

Cherry coke is a vice for me, well more of a guilty pleasure.
Oooh yeah, I got introduced to Roy Rogers at my sister's wedding and I'm obSESSED.

Kisaya

Thanks for the brow advice :) I'm planning to just visit Sephora on a good day and have one of the sales people help me find the right pencil ;p

Oh wow, nice! I'm planning on majoring in Illustration. Visual Arts Management, that's excellent!! How do you like it? I'll totally hit you up if I end up at SVA. :D

I love it! Literally the best major for me. It's a lot of Art History, but not very curatorial thankfully. I had a great internship last semester working with the Communications dept at a museum in Queens, and this semester I scored an amazing internship at a non-profit dedicated to advancing women's professional leadership in the visual arts!

I love Cherry Coke and Dr. Pepper although I think I like any cherry hinted soda.

^ This is me. I miss drinking soda :( Have to cut it off again completely because I gained some tummy fat T_T

Mistel

Banned
I love Cherry Coke and Dr. Pepper although I think I like any cherry hinted soda.
Me too although cherry drpepper I don't often see but that could just be me not looking.
Oooh yeah, I got introduced to Roy Rogers at my sister's wedding and I'm obSESSED.
I understand that a fair bit although I only have that sort of thing once in a blue moon it's far too sugary for me generally.

suzu

It helps a lot if you just cut everything but water and green tea

Work out with me and your cousin :) I was thinking of finding a cheap membership for us?

Haha.. you'll have better luck getting Grace to tag along rather than me. I'm not a gym person for a few reasons that I'm too embarrassed to say. lol. I just need to restrict what I eat.. No more lazy instant ramen. :(

Top Bottom