• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

So, went on a Netflix binge and noticed they had an Anime section and came across "Highschool Of The Dead". Synopsis seemed promising, a bunch of highschool students trying to survive a zombie apocalypse in Japan? That seems right up my alley! So I give it a chance and watch about 8 episodes and that's about all I can take. The whole female cast is pretty much just eye candy. There's like ONE character out of all the ladies I like and that's Saya Takagi, she's confident, doesn't take shit, and always has a backup plan. The rest of them are just fodder for panty shots, titshots, and a bunch of light cheesecake action.

The point I both burst into laughter AND gave up on the show was when the main protaganist used one of the girls breasts as a shoulder cushion to go prone, and aim down sights with a sniper rifle. I'm all for a bit of fanservice but fuck does this show go overboard with this shit. Neat concept, terrible execution!

Women, we're the best recoil absorbers ever!
LR4puFF.jpg

Isn't that the episode where the girl's breasts individually dodge a bullet as it passes between them? :lol

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah the series was created by a hentai doujin artist and his horror movie loving brother so wasn't expecting nothing but stupidness when I watched. lol

Yeah the series was created by a hentai doujin artist and his horror movie loving brother so wasn't expecting nothing but stupidness when I watched. lol

Seeing as I'm never going to watch this to completion, if you've watched further than I have, please tell me, does that nurse woman, Shizuka ever get killed off? That whole "Oops I'm such a ditzy cunt, where are my clothes?! Oh man I'm so incompetent!" schtick really started to grate on me towards the end of my viewing session, and it would satisfy me greatly if I knew she suffered a fitting, gruesome death!

What's funny about the image JJJ posted there is it's gotta be one of the few times they actually avoid an easy panty shot, lol

It caught me off guard as well. It's like "Shit, your entire budget so far seems to have gone into rendering underwear and bra-clad tits as much as possible, why did you decide to go half arsed on the fanservice there? Jeeze!"

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So, went on a Netflix binge and noticed they had an Anime section and came across "Highschool Of The Dead". Synopsis seemed promising, a bunch of highschool students trying to survive a zombie apocalypse in Japan? That seems right up my alley! So I give it a chance and watch about 8 episodes and that's about all I can take. The whole female cast is pretty much just eye candy. There's like ONE character out of all the ladies I like and that's Saya Takagi, she's confident, doesn't take shit, and always has a backup plan. The rest of them are just fodder for panty shots, titshots, and a bunch of light cheesecake action.

The point I both burst into laughter AND gave up on the show was when the main protaganist used one of the girls breasts as a shoulder cushion to go prone, and aim down sights with a sniper rifle. I'm all for a bit of fanservice but fuck does this show go overboard with this shit. Neat concept, terrible execution!

LR4puFF.jpg
Heh. Welcome to modern Anime ;)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Great, got disconnected from Steam just as someone messages me (hi Nudull xD).

Apparently it's widespread, since someone else in the Dark Souls 3 OT mentioned it. Wonder what's going on.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
It's Tuesday Steam maintenance like always that's why the SteamGAF group switched to discord for chatting a few months ago.
Also works out for the Jackbox Games nights I hold every couple of days with the voice chat there.

Nudull

Banned
I was wondering why Steam crapped out on me. xD

EDIT: Speaking of Dark Souls, I've actually been trying to get into the series. I recently picked up Scholar of the First Sin on Steam, but trying to figure out everything on a keyboard is a bit overwhelming. lol

Kinsei

Banned

LR4puFF.jpg

Ahh HotD, that show sure is trash. I'm ashamed to admit I watched the whole thing. I forget when it happens so when you quit was it before or after the little girl pees on the main character in an obvious attempt to pander to a - uh certain demographic? There's also that scene where after killing a bunch of zombies the purple haired one says 'I'm wet."

Is it insulting to say this was made for twelve year old boys when the creator himself said it's for twelve year old boys?

Ahh HotD, that show sure is trash. I'm ashamed to admit I watched the whole thing. I forget when it happens so when you quit was it before or after the little girl pees on the main character in an obvious attempt to pander to a - uh certain demographic?

That'd be the episode before the one I quit on. That episode was when they really overdid the whole "I'm so tired I don't even know I'm naked" cliche with the nurse character and one of the male characters was like "OMIGOD NOSEBLUD" in almost every god damn scene he was in.

Eusis

Is it insulting to say this was made for twelve year old boys when the creator himself said it's for twelve year old boys?
I'd like to think I had better taste then but I did try that fake TR nude cheat out of curiosity and was different from other kids in interests anyway.

Kinsei

Banned
I cant enjoy most animes these days >___<;;;

the moeblob and fanservice things that keep perpetuating very harmful ideas about women/girls just makes me full of sad :<

just full of sad. to the brim, 100% sad.

I know what you mean. There's about one anime per year that I actually like.

Nudull

Banned

the moeblob and fanservice things that keep perpetuating very harmful ideas about women/girls just makes me full of sad :<

I've more or less stopped bothering with new anime for this very reason. Doesn't help that most of my peers are anime fans, which puts a feeling of alienation on me.

I've stopped watching anime years ago. Sounds like I haven't been missing much. Last one I watched was Space Dandy. Just watched about three of four episodes of it so it didn't really count.

Kimaka

I've more or less stopped bothering with new anime for this very reason. Doesn't help that most of my peers are anime fans, which puts a feeling of alienation on me.

Most of my friends are into anime too and are trying to pull me back in. Almost none of the newer shows were appealing to me. I am just really sick of the same old anime tropes and fanservice.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I really like Slice of Life stuff.

Am rewatching Silver Spoon ATM and ahhhh LOVEEEE it.

Ah that's pretty nice I haven't caught up with it in a while though.

I still watch anime but I generally know what I'd like already and have a few favorite animators and artists that influence that as well. I do like some interesting dystopian stuff like Shin Sekai Yori , silly action stuff like Jojo, some revivals of older series like Space Battleship Yamato 2199, extremely dark stuff like Aku no Hana, and some comedy.
What I'd really like is another season of Kaiji since I love seeing that man cry from hardship. Considering like 99% of it is outsourced to Korea I wonder why another season isn't out now.
GX1mumO.gif

Samimista

Slice of Life is great.

I don't really watch anime like I used to, but I'll check Silver Spoon out. :) The premise sounds interesting.

My favorite Slice of Life work would be Nana. I've been waiting for years for the manga to finish, especially since it's so close to the climax.

I do like some interesting dystopian stuff like Shin Sekai Yori , silly action stuff like Jojo, some revivals of older series like Space Battleship Yamato 2199, extremely dark stuff like Aku no Hana, and some comedy.

JoJo is fucking excellent. The entirety of "Battle Tendancy" is some of my favourite shit ever, and Stardust Crusaders has a ton of amazing moments too. The highlight of the entire series for me being "D'Arby the Gambler Parts 1 & 2". Those episodes do so much with such a simple scenario, it's outstanding.

Nudull

Banned
Slice of Life is great.

I don't really watch anime like I used to, but I'll check Silver Spoon out. :) The premise sounds interesting.

My favorite Slice of Life work would be Nana. I've been waiting for years for the manga to finish, especially since it's so close to the climax.

Hey there Samimista, nice to meet you! :)

JoJo is fucking excellent. The entirety of "Battle Tendancy" is some of my favourite shit ever, and Stardust Crusaders has a ton of amazing moments too. The highlight of the entire series for me being "D'Arby the Gambler Parts 1 & 2". Those episodes do so much with such a simple scenario, it's outstanding.

Everyone's been talking about JoJo, and I've haven't gotten around to seeing it. That legit, huh? o.o

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Shirobako is probably my favorite series of the past few years, and a pretty damn accurate representation of the animation industry as well as many other production environments like games or CG. I pretty much could relate to all the things that happened in the office in that show to something I encountered and/or lived through in my career. Also nice to see a series primarily focused on adults in the working world.

I still love anime despite its terrible perpetuations of women....But I am picky beyond belief about them ;^;

If you guys want an anime with an actual solid plot line, great animation, and the soundtrack is fantastic; watch Tokyo Ghoul.

By far my favorite anime of all time. The writer didn't mush in over hyper-sexualization of characters. Its just a solid tragicly intense storyline.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Yeah I watched it on a whim with my friends in LA while I was visiting a few years ago and it's scenarios are really fun. I've fallen behind a bit since I've been forcing myself to draw everyday and actually finish my games lately but I have some free time now so I think I'll catch up some. I was going to catch up when I was away from home for a week but I got swept up in that Overwatch Beta and played it for about 40 hours during the whole beta duration of my trip. orz
At least practice has been working out and my drawings are becoming more dynamic!

Shirobako is probably my favorite series of the past few years, and a pretty damn accurate representation of the animation industry as well as many other production environments like games or CG. I pretty much could relate to all the things that happened in the office in that show to something I encountered in my career. Also nice to see a series primarily focused on adults in the working world.

Ah yes, this was actually really interesting and educational since I've always been interested in animation and the processes. Getting a better look as to how it goes in Japan was fascinating. Of course it has a cute outer shell but contains some real problems and challenges working in those environments that I've heard only bits and pieces about before.

Don-don-donuts!

Hey there Samimista, nice to meet you! :)

Everyone's been talking about JoJo, and I've haven't gotten around to seeing it. That legit, huh? o.o

Totally legit. The series never stays still between each season. They switch up the main characters, and the timeframe that each season takes place in, from the early 1800's to world war II and modern times, there's always something new and interesting going on in every season! Hell, they even change up and evolve the combat techniques that all of the protagonists and villians use as well. It's half the reason why it's so successful in my opinion.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Ah yes, this was actually really interesting and educational since I've always been interested in animation and the processes. Getting a better look as to how it goes in Japan was fascinating. Of course it has a cute outer shell but contains some real problems and challenges working in those environments that I've heard only bits and pieces about before.

Don-don-donuts!

I've been working in production and/or project management for over 10 years and I think I've encountered every personality type, production problem, personnel conflict, and crisis portrayed in that series. It's all true, lol.

Kimaka

I think Azumanga Daioh is the only slice of life anime I've watched. I mostly watched shojo or fantasy and scifi anime.

Slice of Life is great.

I've heard so many good things about Nana but I don't want to get into it until it is finished. I hate reading anything that isn't finished because I want to consume it in one go lol. I started a manga, Ooku based on a friend recommendation (newer manga seems better than newer anime) and it releases yearly and I can't take it. Wanna see what happens next :(((

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I'm just hoping I get to see more of Dio when I catch up. They're like keeping him in a box and letting his presence build up the last time I watched it.

I've heard so many good things about Nana but I don't want to get into it until it is finished. I hate reading anything that isn't finished because I want to consume it in one go lol. I started a manga, Ooku based on a friend recommendation (newer manga seems better than newer anime) and it releases yearly and I can't take it. Wanna see what happens next :(((

I understand this too well. I shelve some stuff early on when I know I'll really get into it since I know it'll be torture waiting for more if I get settled.

I'm just hoping I get to see more of Dio when I catch up. They're like keeping him in a box and letting his presence build up the last time I watched it.

Believe me, it's totally fucking worth it. Once you see Dio, what his stand can do and the turn of events after you'll be saying "ohhhhh shit!" all the way through it.

Nudull

Banned
Shirobako is probably my favorite series of the past few years, and a pretty damn accurate representation of the animation industry as well as many other production environments like games or CG. I pretty much could relate to all the things that happened in the office in that show to something I encountered and/or lived through in my career. Also nice to see a series primarily focused on adults in the working world.

I did see the first episode of Shirobako. It seemed pretty cool. :)

Also, pleasure to meet you as well, Xia!

Nice to meet you as well, Nudull! :)

I posted on here months ago, but didn't know about the 'Subscriptions' folder until recently. XD

I love your icon, by the way. <3 Is it Margaret from Persona 4?

Indeed <3 Had it edited to celebrate same-sex marriage in the US (being LGBT myself), but it looked so nice that it's been sticking around for a while. :)

I still love anime despite its terrible perpetuations of women....But I am picky beyond belief about them ;^;

If you guys want an anime with an actual solid plot line, great animation, and the soundtrack is fantastic; watch Tokyo Ghoul.

By far my favorite anime of all time. The writer didn't mush in over hyper-sexualization of characters. Its just a solid tragicly intense storyline.

I've wanted to check out Tokyo Ghoul as well. :)

This is, though, I've had a bad history with getting harrassed (even sexually) by certain groups of anime fans, which impacted me a lot and has kept me from really trying out new shows and manga. I've been trying to work past my own personal traumas, but it hasn't been easy.

Samimista

Ironically, I got into Nana like a month before its latest chapter released . . . I believe that was in 2009, and it's been on hiatus ever since.

It's a series that's resonated with me since my best friend and I are both like Nana and Hachi, but it's kinda depressing where the manga left off. v__v

Augh, do hate when long waits like that happen. I'd check Ooku out myself, but like you, I find the wait to be painful, haha.

Edit: For a completed series, I'd recommend The One. It's about a young female model who gets involved in a love triangle. I believe it's complete, but I still have to finish reading it.

Indeed <3 Had it edited to celebrate same-sex marriage in the US (being LGBT myself), but it looked so nice that it's been sticking around for a while. :).

It's about time it got legalized. <3

Everyone should have the right to get married. Love is very beautiful and is worth celebrating. :)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Believe me, it's totally fucking worth it. Once you see Dio, what his stand can do and the turn of events after you'll be saying "ohhhhh shit!" all the way through it.

Well that's good to hear! The build up doesn't work too well if you don't pull off the landing and it sounds like they did! I remember my friend saying "They have all this sexy Dio and they're not using him!" and found it hilarious.

i've seen jojo, shinsekai yori and tokyo ghoul

they are nice :>

but i just get this feeling that i have to actually look reallllly hard to find them gems :x

i havent given up on anime, just every time an idiotic trope pervasively ruins something i get a bit more sadangryface

currently just finished watching prince of stride and east of eden and in the middle of tempest something or other.... and for whatever reasons, starting seraph no owari

.____.

bwah i should draw more and less wasting time watching stuuuuuufffffffff .3.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
All I watch is Gundam, Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball.

Ocasionally shows that grab my attention like Gangsta, Kill La Kill, or whatever.

Kinsei

Banned
The last anime I finished was Noragami and Tiger & Bunny back-to-back. A friend of mine prodded me into doing both. XD

The last one I finished was Death Parade and before that I think it was Bunny Drop. Both of them are actually really good.

Top Bottom