• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Nudull

Banned
Gonna see Star Trek Beyond in a few hours. In the meantime, I got to try Ben & Jerry's for the first time. Their pistachio ice cream is so good. *_*

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
<3nunu

I hate having to put on my pro face and telling someone they don't meet standards, that she has failed too many physical fitness tests and her bodyweight composition is awful.

I can't help but think the ramifications on her psyche, but at the same time she didn't do what she needed to stay in.

Kimaka

Gonna see Star Trek Beyond in a few hours. In the meantime, I got to try Ben & Jerry's for the first time. Their pistachio ice cream is so good. *_*

I'm still debating if I want to go today. I wanted to rewatch the other movies again, but Beyond getting great impressions is making me want to see it asap.

olympia

i think i'm gonna see star trek tonight with some friends, after i watch my cousin's play. i haven't felt like going to the movies, let alone seeing star trek, but it's getting great reviews and everyone else is going so

this weekend is my boyfriends annual bday bbq and beach day. every year all of our friends get together and hang out, especially ones that live across the state or ones that are too busy with their own lives to hang out on a regular basis. it's a pretty cool midsummer tradition.

then i'm gonna go to the deyoung on sunday and hang out in golden gate park. i suspect i'll be going alone because everyone else is going to be hungover.

what is everyone else doing this weekend?

Seeing Star Trek tomorrow with the boyfriend and some friends. Can't wait!

An annual bbq and beach day? I wanna know more! I want to do something like that.

olympia

Seeing Star Trek tomorrow with the boyfriend and some friends. Can't wait!

An annual bbq and beach day? I wanna know more! I want to do something like that.

cool!

yeah it's pretty fun. we have a bbq at our house in the afternoon, then drive over to the beach during the evening for some antics & bonfire. pretty chill. some stuff has definitely gone down on those beach trips lol.

cool!

yeah it's pretty fun. we have a bbq at our house in the afternoon, then drive over to the beach during the evening for some antics & bonfire. pretty chill. some stuff has definitely gone down on those beach trips lol.

This is why I can't wait to move to California. Beach in the same city, yaaaas.

Misha

Banned
Those Killing Joke spoilers, Jesus. I guess Suicide Squad is the only DC movie I'm seeing this year.
I had no interest due to the source material but that's one of the few things you could add to double my disinterest. Awful.

Hopefully the live action side isn't tone deaf with joker and Harley's relationship

Kinsei

Banned
I don't care about superhero stuff, but now I'm afraid to ask...

Batman has sex with Batgirl. He's known her since she was a child and has basically been a second father to her. This is also the Killing Joke so she'll be crippled and it's heavily implied that she was raped.

One of the biggest criticisms of the original story is how she was treated and now they're pulling this shit.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Batman has sex with Batgirl. He's known her since she was a child and has basically been a second father to her. This is also the Killing Joke so she'll be crippled and it's heavily implied that she was raped.

One of the biggest criticisms of the original story is how she was treated and now they're pulling this shit.
Ugh, FFS....

Pau

To think, I actually saw that there was a screening of this at a local theater coming up that some folks have tried to prod me into going to. Dodged a hell of a bullet.
Yeah that would have been some surprise.

I just. Why.

Okay I know why but can we like please move on from being shit DC?

Aw, everyone hates The Killing Joke? :(

She said the beach, so must be SoCal.

SoCal is so nice. I'm never moving away from here :D

And yeah, Killing Joke is rubbish. It maims Barbara for no reason and it's ostensibly the story of how one really bad day can break a man despite all the evidence being that the man was broken long before his one bad day, so basically nothing in the plot is cohesive nor drives towards a meaningful statement. Even Alan Moore has admitted it's trash.

Nudull

Banned
And yeah, Killing Joke is rubbish. It maims Barbara for no reason and it's ostensibly the story of how one really bad day can break a man despite all the evidence being that the man was broken long before his one bad day, so basically nothing in the plot is cohesive nor drives towards a meaningful statement. Even Alan Moore has admitted it's trash.

It's telling that Barbara has never been allowed to move on from that story, since DC loves to milk it for all it's worth. It's disgusting.

olympia

Aw, everyone hates The Killing Joke? :(

She said the beach, so must be SoCal.

There's plenty of nice beaches here in northern California, too :). But SoCal does have us beat in that regard.

I like the killing joke. I don't like what they're doing with the adaptation, though.

SoCal is so nice. I'm never moving away from here :D

It's lovely if you can afford it! I had to move because it was too expensive for me.

And if you're going to take Moore at his word for this, are you going to accept the rest of what he says? Because I love his work but the dude has a sort of loathing for his own stuff, or at least the fans of it.

Misha

Banned

That's pretty much how I feel about it. Just seems like an excuse for joker to do something shocking and it wasn't even set up well

Killing Joke is one of the worst Moore books.

sweet! nor cal or so cal?

you guys made me curious about the killing joke so i looked up the spoilers.

why why why why....so unnecessary!

SoCal. Something keeps getting in the way of the move and it feels further and further. I wanted to shoot for Christmas this year but now I'm delaying to next summer.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Anybody else getting this ad in this thread? Lol

mDmEclm.jpg

ishibear

is a goddamn bear

Wut

I'm reminded why I was always discouraged from reading comic books now as a kid

Sure not all comics are this way buuuuuuut...

My mom was strict about letting me get exposed to negative portrayals of women in media. It was only because of my dad that I was able to watch Sailor Moon because she didn't like that or DBZ haha

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well you could always do worse comics-wise! I think the worst I've taken in is Johnny the Homicidal Maniac but I still really appreciate Jhonen's style and framing today. Invader Zim was the right balance of angst and silly so I think that was a big benefit at the time for the show being strapped to Nickelodeon.

Misha

Banned
Wut

I'm reminded why I was always discouraged from reading comic books now as a kid

Sure not all comics are this way buuuuuuut...

My mom was strict about letting me get exposed to negative portrayals of women in media. It was only because of my dad that I was able to watch Sailor Moon because she didn't like that or DBZ haha

I mentioned this to lilith(i think?) a bit ago when we were on a similar topic. I thought Silk(female Spiderman like character) had a pretty cool design so I decided to read her comic only to find out that her being bit by a spider gave her super
pheromones so that her and Spiderman were constantly horny for each other(okay I'm not sure it was pheromones per se but that's effectively what it was)

Needless to say I lost interest in that one fast.

Theres definitely a lot of good ones though and they're making a conscious effort to market to women at times since its a big demographic and they have way more women writers than they used to.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I mentioned this to lilith(i think?) a bit ago when we were on a similar topic. I thought Silk(female Spiderman like character) had a pretty cool design so I decided to read her comic only to find out that her being bit by a spider gave her super
pheromones so that her and Spiderman were constantly horny for each other(okay I'm not sure it was pheromones per se but that's effectively what it was)

Needless to say I lost interest in that one fast.

Theres definitely a lot of good ones though and they're making a conscious effort to market to women at times since its a big demographic and they have way more women writers than they used to.

Aw geez that had to be crushing :(

I have a friend that had something similar happen to her. Her favorite character was Starfire and I remember her telling me about an issue that completely wrecked her love for the character.

Good to know there's more positive depictions popping up now. :3

What does GirlGAF think of the movie Hackers? Just rewatched it today.

it's cute. i just saw it on tv too last week, by chance.

the effects were so, so bad, but i liked how uninhibited they were about portraying these 'edgy, young, rebellious' people.

it doesn't age well though

and it's one of those movies where the chick hackers are always super beautiful and super capable (only slightly less capable than the main dudes)

some of the hacking mechanism doesnt make any sense at all but it is a fun and nostalgic watch for me :>

it's cute. i just saw it on tv too last week, by chance.

the effects were so, so bad, but i liked how uninhibited they were about portraying these 'edgy, young, rebellious' people.

it doesn't age well though

and it's one of those movies where the chick hackers are always super beautiful and super capable (only slightly less capable than the main dudes)

some of the hacking mechanism doesnt make any sense at all but it is a fun and nostalgic watch for me :>

That's pretty much how I feel about it. It's incredibly silly and I aware of it, but at the same time doesn't treat them like they're lame. It's got a sort of cyberpunk vibe to how they're portrayed. It's also fun to kind of compare the main couple to Neo and Trinity, especially at the beginning of The Matrix.

Plus this was at the time I thought Jolie was hot.

Misha

Banned
Aw geez that had to be crushing :(

I have a friend that had something similar happen to her. Her favorite character was Starfire and I remember her telling me about an issue that completely wrecked her love for the character.

Good to know there's more positive depictions popping up now. :3
Oh another one is terra who I really liked in the animated series. Later read up on her comics version.
While she was 15 she had a sexual relationship with deathstroke/slade
Very glad that I didn't decide to read the comic before I found out... her TV version will always be the definitive version to me
Please tell me there hasn't been anything wrong with Spider-Gwen. I've been meaning to read that but I have no time.

Ive read a few issues and nothing wrong so far. Pretty sure I've heard from someone else that it keeps being good too :)

Leeness

Why.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Speaking of women and comics, what does GirlGAF think of Y: The Last Man? It's one of my all-time favourites, myself.

What does GirlGAF think of the movie Hackers? Just rewatched it today.
Saw it about 15 years ago. Thought it was omplete trash. Me being a programmer probably contributed to that, but yeah, horrible, stupid-as-fuck movie.

Speaking of women and comics, what does GirlGAF think of Y: The Last Man? It's one of my all-time favourites, myself.

Saw it about 15 years ago. Thought it was omplete trash. Me being a programmer probably contributed to that, but yeah, horrible, stupid-as-fuck movie.

Mines too. I got real mad when
they killed off Agent 355
. I don't really like Yorick as a main character.

Top Bottom