• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I don't particularly care about strict adherence to comic books because up until recently I've never really read a Batman comic anyway.

I like Batfleck because I think, stylistically, he nails it so well. It's not about any particular detail or piece of trivia, I just like Batfleck because I like Batfleck.

Re. this thread it can be hard to resist because it's the best thread on Neogaf, featuring basically no shitty posts or posters.. I do try to keep in mind whose space it is though
I was just poking fun at you.

But yeah, my thing is if you aren't going to be true to the characters, don't use them. Create something original, it will probably be better.

That's how Watchmen was created. It started as a story about the Charlton characters(Blue Beetle, etc), but the story took them all so far out of character, DC told Moore to just redo it with original characters.

Pau

This is more of a "everyone hates robin" problem and without robin, not batfamily.

But maybe with Barry on Justice League ? xD
People don't even know who Robin is! They need to see the light!

I'm curious to see Bruce's interactions with Barry. Barry seems like he might be the age Jason or Dick or whoever was when he died.

Jobbs

Banned
I just got done with what I am sure was food poisoning. I puked four times in total. I feel like a million bucks now. :D

Our shared disdain for the prequels unites us!

Did you (or others here!) like Episode 7? I thought it was good (Abrams just spent two movies trying to turn Star Trek into Star Wars -- So SW is a much more natural fit) and I'm even more excited for Rogue One so we can get away from Jedi for a bit...

I was just poking fun at you.

But yeah, my thing is if you aren't going to be true to the characters, don't use them. Create something original, it will probably be better.

That's how Watchmen was created. It started as a story about the Charlton characters(Blue Beetle, etc), but the story took them all so far out of character, DC told Moore to just redo it with original characters.

I wasn't aware Batman was that out of character in BvS. Batman seemed pretty spot on. Superman, maybe, but -- Again, I don't care about Supes.

Ceallach

I just got done with what I am sure was food poisoning. I puked four times in total. I feel like a million bucks now. :D

Did you (or others here!) like Episode 7? I thought it was good (Abrams just spent two movies trying to turn Star Trek into Star Wars -- So SW is a much more natural fit) and I'm even more excited for Rogue One so we can get away from Jedi for a bit...

I wasn't aware Batman was that out of character in BvS. Batman seemed pretty spot on. Superman, maybe, but -- Again, I don't care about Supes.
Affleck played Batman well, but Batman was written terribly. First and most obvious is the murder and gun use, but beyond that he was just portrayed as much dumber than Bruce Wayne is. He would never be conned by the stupid game Lexus played. He would also have multiple contingencies in place for the kryptonian. It's also way out of character for him to organize the justice league.

Jobbs

Banned
Affleck played Batman well, but Batman was written terribly. First and most obvious is the murder and gun use, but beyond that he was just portrayed as much dumber than Bruce Wayne is. He would never be conned by the stupid game Lexus played. He would also have multiple contingencies in place for the kryptonian. It's also way out of character for him to organize the justice league.

Okay, those may be fair points, but I just thought Batfleck was so perfect on the visceral level that those other things didn't distract me (although, I'll say the one thing I did find silly was his plan "I bet he's going to hit superman with kryptonite and beat him up... and accomplish nothing" but that's more a problem with the premise and superman than it is a problem with batman).

it was fine. That is, fine for a movie with a cutprice Darth Vader, everyone being able to use lightsabers, a big bad with the dumbest name ever, and a complete plot retread that doesn't make sense for the new characters.

That reads like I hated it, but I didn't hate it. I liked Rey and Finn. I was glad Leia had so few lines given that Carrie Fisher sounds like she had a voice transplant. Giant ball shaped robots chasing Harrison Ford down narrow passageways was a bit too much though.

Well put. I've always been a bit bothered by how Rey can use a lightsaber the first time she touches it (I came up believing jedi had to go through a lot of training to do this stuff) and the presence of another deathstar thing felt COMPLETELY wrong, but it was just such a relief to have characters who seemed like "human beings" and had "personalities" that I could forgive anything

olympia

i also share those issues with VII but i still enjoyed it very much. i really like kylo ren even though he was an ersatz darth vader.

Leeness

...Has anyone here had tubal litigation? I've wanted to do it for years but am pretty serious about it now... I need to find out more about it.

Any Canadians, think it would be covered? Especially if it's elective?

I dunno, I just want to get it done lol.

Media

This was hilarious and on point and I felt I had to share with y'all.

9 Non-Threatening Leadership Strategies for Women

50GxWRb.gif

Ceallach

...Has anyone here had tubal litigation? I've wanted to do it for years but am pretty serious about it now... I need to find out more about it.

I have considered it. I have a kid, I'm getting older and I kind of can't really ever see myself ever in a relationship again. But I've been too scared to pull the trigger.

But it should be covered.

Leeness

Considering it's covered by Medicaid here in the states, if be kind of surprised if it wasn't covered in Canada.

I have considered it. I have a kid, I'm getting older and I kind of can't really ever see myself ever in a relationship again. But I've been too scared to pull the trigger.

But it should be covered.

The thing making me wonder if it may not be covered is that in my case, it would be elective and not necessary. I will definitely need to talk to a doc soon.

I'm kind of scared of it too, Ceallach, but it's something I've wanted to do since I was like...a teenager. So... Yeah. Maybe I'll go to a drop in this weekend just to get some info.

Thanks for sharing that media, too damn funny

The thing making me wonder if it may not be covered is that in my case, it would be elective and not necessary. I will definitely need to talk to a doc soon.

I'm kind of scared of it too, Ceallach, but it's something I've wanted to do since I was like...a teenager. So... Yeah. Maybe I'll go to a drop in this weekend just to get some info.

I'm totally ignorant on this but... isn't it almost always elective?

Out of curiosity, why litigation and not an IUD or something ?

My former landlady was a nurse at Canada's first Morgentaler clinic and was super into reproductive health, and when she found out my wife and I were childfree, she and my wife had a chat about this. She explained that you need a doctor's referral, and in general doctors are hesitant to give referrals to women in their childbearing years (because the pervasive attitude is "silly women, thinking they know what they want"). She also said that, in her experience, it usually takes a few years to convince a doctor to sign off on it -- that is, you'll need to tell your doctor now, and then tell him/her again next year (and probably a few years after), just to convince them that it's not something you're doing on the spur of the moment, and that you genuinely don't want kids.

We didn't want to deal with that, so I just ended up getting a vasectomy.

Basically, if you want one, start working on your doctor now, and hopefully (s)he is the kind of person who listens to what you're saying rather than telling you you'll change your mind.

Oh, and for coverage, it varies by province; according to this 10-year-old page, it's free in BC.

Leeness

I'm totally ignorant on this but... isn't it almost always elective?

Out of curiosity, why litigation and not an IUD or something ?

Not always elective, but as to why...

Because she thinks she'll get retirement money off of suing her ovaries.

No, seriously, ligation is permanent. So why waste time installing hardware that needs to be removed later so as not to poison you, when a permanent solution exists?

This this this. And I know I won't change my mind--I've never ever ever wanted kids and frankly the idea horrifies and disgusts me lol

My former landlady was a nurse at Canada's first Morgentaler clinic and was super into reproductive health, and when she found out my wife and I were childfree, she and my wife had a chat about this. She explained that you need a doctor's referral, and in general doctors are hesitant to give referrals to women in their childbearing years (because the pervasive attitude is "silly women, thinking they know what they want"). She also said that, in her experience, it usually takes a few years to convince a doctor to sign off on it -- that is, you'll need to tell your doctor now, and then tell him/her again next year (and probably a few years after), just to convince them that it's not something you're doing on the spur of the moment, and that you genuinely don't want kids.

We didn't want to deal with that, so I just ended up getting a vasectomy.

Basically, if you want one, start working on your doctor now, and hopefully (s)he is the kind of person who listens to what you're saying rather than telling you you'll change your mind.

Oh, and for coverage, it varies by province; according to this 10-year-old page, it's free in BC.

Okay, cool. I was going to go to a walk in just to get some info, but maybe I should just make an appointment with my actual GP.

She generally does listen, maybe I can get her in one go lol.

Because she thinks she'll get retirement money off of suing her ovaries.

No, seriously, ligation is permanent. So why waste time installing hardware that needs to be removed later so as not to poison you, when a permanent solution exists?

I know it's permanent, she just expressed hesitation so I (incorrectly) assumed it was because she wasn't absolutely positive she'd never want to have kids. The permanence of it is both the big plus and minus. But she is positive, so I definitely get it.

This this this. And I know I won't change my mind--I've never ever ever wanted kids and frankly the idea horrifies and disgusts me lol

Oh okay, got it, haha

My ex for a long time said she never wanted kids but then began to be less sure of that over time. So I thought maybe you were going back and forth. But if you're totally sure then yeah, it makes sense.

Leeness

I know it's permanent, she just expressed hesitation so I (incorrectly) assumed it was because she wasn't absolutely positive she'd never want to have kids. The permanence of it is both the big plus and minus. But she is positive, so I definitely get it.

Oh okay, got it, haha

My ex for a long time said she never wanted kids but then began to be less sure of that over time. So I thought maybe you were going back and forth. But if you're totally sure then yeah, it makes sense.

I only said "scared" because I'm a big baby and surgery is scary lol. But I've been certain of it since I was like...20. I've never wanted a kid and still have zero impulse to haha.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
My fellow ladies, can I get a Yaaaaaaaaaaassss Queen?

I'm Canadian and y'all American media is getting me pumped!!!

I just wanted to make fun of your typo.

My phone does not like the word "ligation" for some reason ;___;

Ya know I love ya Mapel but... no :(
I hate that saying XD

I'll say yas because I'm at the Greek theater right now waiting for brand new to go on

GRRRRRR I'm so jealous ;____;

Leeness

YAAAAAAASSS!!! Queen! :')

I'm sad that Trudeau and Obama didn't overlap more because they seem like total bros. I hope Hill and Justin will be friends.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
"Women are often stereotyped or poorly represented in media, this sucks"
"But what about Saudi Arabia??"

Just how fucking annoying is this crap. Ugh.

gaiages

Banned
Yeah I dunno why I go in those threads, or any threads pertaining to women honestly, they all make me mad lol. You try and explain why things are bad and why they need change and it's like shouting into a well or something. :/

Media

Yeah I dunno why I go in those threads, or any threads pertaining to women honestly, they all make me mad lol. You try and explain why things are bad and why they need change and it's like shouting into a well or something. :/

I've often run into the wall of 'Well, you don't represent real women, because you like video games, so your opinon isn't valid.' or something. Which is hilarious since it's usually a bunch of dudes talking about stuff that pertains to 'real' women.

shiba5

Are you sure it was food poisoning? Maybe it was the Prequels?
As someone who grew up with the originals and thinks that the world would be a better place if every copy of the Prequel movies were shot into the sun, I loved Episode 7. I got to see the Falcon fly like I always imagined and I sat there with a shit eating grin the entire time. If the whole movie was just the first scene with the damn Falcon flying around, I would have been satisfied.

Top Bottom