• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Seems you researched your shit and know what you can do. Sorry if I felt overbearing. I just don't want to see another person whose dreams were destroyed because they have 100k in debt and don't have the art skills to back it up. But Art Center is legit and you're learning from outside resources and have bothered to partake and research non art school options.

We'll get there. Down to chat about art any time.

olympia

I just looked at olympia's porfolio. Really nice! I'm impressed. I'd hire you if I was hiring! :)
:O thanks jobbs! that means so much to me.

Wait. Olympia I didn't see your portfolio.

Girl.

You're going to get there.

That stuff is wonderful Olympia! I'm jealous.

04VRIcUm.png

thank you soo much!

Seems you researched your shit and know what you can do. Sorry if I felt overbearing. I just don't want to see another person whose dreams were destroyed because they have 100k in debt and don't have the art skills to back it up. But Art Center is legit and you're learning from outside resources and have bothered to partake and research non art school options.

We'll get there. Down to chat about art any time.

no worries! wasn't trying to deflect or anything. thanks for the level-headed advice, it's very much welcome. and yes, we'll get there.

olympia

Daaaang Olympia, I'd hire you if I could afford it XD

Maybe commission work? :p

thank you ttk, i would love to do a commission for you, but had to turn down another gaffer because i'm booked until October. i'll probably be available again around november.

i've always been stalking your arts at the arts thread :> you're so talented it makes me wanna pick up drawing again from time to time .... <3

....also, izzat your doggie as your ava, oly?

i'm glad that it makes you want to draw. drawing is fun! and meditative. thanks for following my work. i haven't been posting in those threads lately because i've been so busy. i do post regular updates on my insta though instagram.com/0lympia

and yes haha it's my pup, kona. he's very special to me. lol.

9tTwDwwl.jpg

QAnj1a4l.jpg

puppy picture:
Bku04jE.jpg

anybody else in here have a pup?

thank you ttk, i would love to do a commission for you, but had to turn down another gaffer because i'm booked until October. i'll probably be available again around november.

i'm glad that it makes you want to draw. drawing is fun! and meditative. thanks for following my work. i haven't been posting in those threads lately because i've been so busy. i do post regular updates on my insta though instagram.com/0lympia

and yes haha it's my pup, kona. he's very special to me. lol.

9tTwDwwl.jpg

QAnj1a4l.jpg

puppy picture:
Bku04jE.jpg

anybody else in here have a pup?

I SHALL STALK YOUR INSTAGRAM

<3333333

and yes! i have a doggie~ she is 9 months old now and her name is Malley :D

omg KONA is such an adorable boy! <3 how old is he? is he a corgi? those ears are just unbelievably precious lol <3

olympia

I SHALL STALK YOUR INSTAGRAM

<3333333

and yes! i have a doggie~ she is 9 months old now and her name is Malley :D

omg KONA is such an adorable boy! <3 how old is he? is he a corgi? those ears are just unbelievably precious lol <3

holy hellllll what an adorable puppy! i love malley!

yeah kona is a corgi. he's almost 4

Jobbs

Banned
i do post regular updates on my insta though instagram.com/0lympia

Yeaaaahh I don't mean to repeat myself or whatever but your art is good to the point that it makes me feel bad about myself. My skills have largely stagnated over the past few years. I think you're going to be more than fine. :D

brewster is so cute : D

oly, yes doggies are so awesome <3 whenever im stressed out, i just hug them and they lift me back up \o/

also yea, arting is fun :> equal parts of pain/tears and efforts and only a little ittybitty of pride and pleasure but i love it :D it can be super therapeutic and meditative

i wish i have more time to art these days but always looking at inspirational stuff from people like yourself reminds me to pick up the pencil from time to time <3 so thanks for that and keep on rocking <3

PS. does kona have an insta of his own? :> malley is my first girl doggie, im currently teaching her all the house rules and some commands. she is a quite a stubborn lil chicka~ what's kona's personality like?

omg and, that puppy pic of him is just super adorable im slain by cuteness send help

Leeness

Your portfolio is really great, Olympia!

I went through two years of animation school and it definitely did improve my art, but I ended up not pursuing it as a career.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Damn, amazing portfolio! Your style reminds me a little of ServBot here on GAF. You should post your stuff in the art thread(s) every now and then. :)

I like her style, but this is somebody's mom? She looks younger than me.
Nah, she's a teenager. Lucia is the mom, and chief of that tribe.

108? By that number I assume most don't get attention in the story. Are the characters used in like a military type fashion where they can die permanently like in Fire Emblem? That's the only way I can see 108 characters without it feeling overwhelming.
No one dies via gameplay.
Not every character is playable, some are NPCs, that you recruit into your castle, sometimes just for flavour, sometimes for mini-games or helpful gameplay services. A cook, a cleaning staff person, a gardener, a mason, a gambling/card dealer, a bath builder, etc. Many of them are a bit throwaway, but as Cindi said, a lot of them to get solid plot/character development too. Obviously not all of them.

Female representation is the #1 reason JRPGs are my favorite genre (though I always did get a little sad that girls that look like me would never be the main heroine, but you take what you can get), and probably the reason I stuck with gaming all of these years. It's really sad for me to see them go down the narrative tubes like some of the more popular games have been recently.

:( What do you look like, if you don't mind me asking? If you are black, yeah, Japanese games with black people as leads are almost unheard of, let alone black women...

Speaking of which, is there a list of games that have more than one named black woman in them?
Erm. Other than the aforementioned Suikoden III, I can honestly only think of The Last of Us when including Left Behind (Marlene, Riley), and Remember Me (Nilin and Scylla).

Surely AssCreed Liberation has another named black woman other than Aveline? Does Dragon Age: Inquisition have someone else than Vivienne? I haven't played those games.

It's 108 because the series is loosely based on a classical Chinese novel. There's war battles that occur at some points in the games where you can lose characters permanently.
Only through story though, not gameplay.

Kimaka

Erm. Other than the aforementioned Suikoden III, I can honestly only think of The Last of Us when including Left Behind (Marlene, Riley), and Remember Me (Nilin and Scylla).

Surely AssCreed Liberation has another named black woman other than Aveline? Does Dragon Age: Inquisition have someone else than Vivienne? I haven't played those games.

For Dragon Age: Inquisition, there is also Mother Giselle. Broken Age has Vella and Levina. Vella's sister and mother probably have names, but I can't recall what they were. Pillars of Eternity has Pallegina and Bellasege. I had to hunt down Bellasege because fuck if I can remember anyone's appearance and name outside of the companions in that game.

After trying to put together a list, I never realized how rare it was to have more than one named black woman in a game. I guess I am just happy if there is at least one. Before 2010, the closest person to a black woman in a game that I could name was Fran. Hell, there weren't that many black men that I could name either.

Fake Edit: Shit, I almost forgot about The Walking Dead. That has Clem, Christa, Rebecca and Tavia. The Walking Dead has a pretty diverse cast. And not here is a black guy and a white woman diverse. They have multiple non-white, non-black characters which is uncommon in games.

Ekai

That topic about rape in James Bond. Do those people not get consent? They're defending super macho chauvinism and acting like saying no is saying yes. Jesus fuck. I just can't with that topic. "Women want to submit to a powerful man without being easy"
Umm....just...whut. I have no idea how to explain this to them.

Nudull

Banned
That topic about rape in James Bond. Do those people not get consent? They're defending super macho chauvinism and acting like saying no is saying yes. Jesus fuck. I just can't with that topic. "Women want to submit to a powerful man without being easy"
Umm....just...whut. I have no idea how to explain this to them.

A lot of people seem to think that something appearing "kinky" doesn't require much in the way of consent. Ironic, given how kink is so dependant on trust and consent...

All your doggy pictures are making me wish I had a dog again ;_____;

it's cool! I can wait <3

No one dies via gameplay.
Not every character is playable, some are NPCs, that you recruit into your castle, sometimes just for flavour, sometimes for mini-games or helpful gameplay services. A cook, a cleaning staff person, a gardener, a mason, a gambling/card dealer, a bath builder, etc. Many of them are a bit throwaway, but as Cindi said, a lot of them to get solid plot/character development too. Obviously not all of them.

Nope.

People perma death via war battles in I.

Lost a character and didn't know it was perma the first time I played lol.

Hay there everybody! This Pokemon craze got me jonesing to play a mainline Pokemon game. Trouble is... it's been about 16 years since I last played through a mainline Pokemon (Gold+Silver). It's hard to believe how fucking old I am.

Still. I've missed out on a boatload of Pokemon and I seem to have found my calling back to the series. Does anyone have any recommendations on which game in the series to pick up?

Hay there everybody! This Pokemon craze got me jonesing to play a mainline Pokemon game. Trouble is... it's been about 16 years since I last played through a mainline Pokemon (Gold+Silver). It's hard to believe how fucking old I am.

Still. I've missed out on a boatload of Pokemon and I seem to have found my calling back to the series. Does anyone have any recommendations on which game in the series to pick up?

Soul Silver/Heart Gold and wait for Sun/Moon. Sun/Moon comes out in a few months. You could just get that and not burn out.

HGSS still hold up, but you can't really go wrong with the newer games (XY, ORAS).

Misha

Banned

Heart gold/soul silver would be best since it would be familiar yet updated.
I just wouldn't recommend anything before gen 4 since the mechanics have been improved a lot since then.

Kinsei

Banned

Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire would be a good jumping in point. They're a remake of the Pokemon game that came out right after Gold/Silver/Crystal.

:( What do you look like, if you don't mind me asking? If you are black, yeah, Japanese games with black people as leads are almost unheard of, let alone black women...

Only through story though, not gameplay.
I am black, of course. Black and Hispanic women get the shortest end of the stick in gaming, generally speaking. I also like to claim Iris of Pokemon Black/White. (I remember saying this to someone IRL once and getting the most bizarre defense of ACTUALLY SHE'S NATIVE LOOK AT HER HAIR. As they spoke to me, who has a fuck ton of curly hair)
I really wanted Remember Me to be a better game than it was..sigh.

olympia

i meant to reply sooner but i went to bed and i've been out and on the road since last night. i've been posting in the dragon ball thread because it's easy from my phone haha

Yeaaaahh I don't mean to repeat myself or whatever but your art is good to the point that it makes me feel bad about myself. My skills have largely stagnated over the past few years. I think you're going to be more than fine. :D

thanks jobbs! don't feel bad! satisfaction continually eludes me no matter how hard i try haha. figured that's what it's like for most creative pursuits. you mentioned that you have some games animated and published? really love to see those. that's certainly more than i've ever achieved.

brewster is so cute : D

oly, yes doggies are so awesome <3 whenever im stressed out, i just hug them and they lift me back up \o/

also yea, arting is fun :> equal parts of pain/tears and efforts and only a little ittybitty of pride and pleasure but i love it :D it can be super therapeutic and meditative

i wish i have more time to art these days but always looking at inspirational stuff from people like yourself reminds me to pick up the pencil from time to time <3 so thanks for that and keep on rocking <3

PS. does kona have an insta of his own? :> malley is my first girl doggie, im currently teaching her all the house rules and some commands. she is a quite a stubborn lil chicka~ what's kona's personality like?

omg and, that puppy pic of him is just super adorable im slain by cuteness send help

thanks! keep it up dude!

no insta for kona. i've been meaning to set one up for him but i haven't gotten around to it. i'll throw the occasional picture of him on my insta though.

corgis are really awesome dogs. they are very smart, kona isn't an exception. he loves people and being the center of attention and he was a breeze to train since he is so food motivated. he's being a lazy potato now because of the weekend in pismo. a tired dog is a good dog lol. he has a very strong personality where he wants to make everything his business, but he's also very gentle and sweet, great with kids and other dogs. love the pup.

and yeah, puppies can be SO difficult. consistency and super tasty treats definitely help. what's it been like to train malley since she's still a puppy?

Damn, amazing portfolio! Your style reminds me a little of ServBot here on GAF. You should post your stuff in the art thread(s) every now and then. :)

Damn, this is legit. I know you didn't get into the program you wanted but your talent and hard work shows. You've got this. <3

thank you guys so much! the kind comments really mean so much to me. morrigan, i love servbot's work, i think we're angling of the same type of career.

ps brewster is a real QT.

Jobbs

Banned
thanks jobbs! don't feel bad! satisfaction continually eludes me no matter how hard i try haha. figured that's what it's like for most creative pursuits. you mentioned that you have some games animated and published? really love to see those. that's certainly more than i've ever achieved.

dissatisfaction with my own stuff and general angst is all that has ever made me improve.

I only have one game of note, and it's STILL not done! it's published by adult swim games. trailer

olympia

dissatisfaction with my own stuff and general angst is all that has ever made me improve.

I only have one game of note, and it's STILL not done! it's published by adult swim games. trailer

holy shit dude, i'm sure you've heard this before but this is fucking incredible. you did the graphics and programming? wow.

thanks! keep it up dude!

no insta for kona. i've been meaning to set one up for him but i haven't gotten around to it. i'll throw the occasional picture of him on my insta though.

corgis are really awesome dogs. they are very smart, kona isn't an exception. he loves people and being the center of attention and he was a breeze to train since he is so food motivated. he's being a lazy potato now because of the weekend in pismo. a tired dog is a good dog lol. he has a very strong personality where he wants to make everything his business, but he's also very gentle and sweet, great with kids and other dogs. love the pup.

and yeah, puppies can be SO difficult. consistency and super tasty treats definitely help. what's it been like to train malley since she's still a puppy?

oh wow kona sounds like a dream doggie <3 i love hearing people's bond and experiences with their pets, it's occasionally underrated, how they bring so much into our lives :>

malley's difficult with toilet training! argh XD she's very wilful. i've been told spitz breed are this way. they wont do anything for free, so thankfully she's food driven and i've been able to motivate certain behaviours. but she's very attached to her human (her previous owner) and they coddled her bad so she doesnt have an inclination to go outside to do her toilet. currently, i have to manually prompt her to go outside (every 4-5 hours or so), but i hope she will pick it up as a habit eventually.

other than that, im enrolling her to a class soon so i can get her recall rate up. i would like to be able to take her to places and let her experience the world, but i need her to be able to come to me when called. right now, she's not listening to me when she's outdoors cuz .... OMG WORLD SO EXCITING, i guess? lol

omg jobbs that is a TERRIFIC trailer <3 you are amazing with your art <3 MUCH AWE *____*

So yeah, I proposed an arrangement with two of my best buds a couple weeks ago. Sex often, with no strings attached and no commitment, just as long as they're single I'll give them what they want. As soon as they hook up that arrangement will come to an end. Have to say it's been working out really well so far. Had sex with them both about half a dozen times so far over the last forthnight. My friendships with both are as strong as ever and for one of them, it seems to have improved his social behaviour as well, he's been a lot more confident around women and interacting with them from what I saw this weekend when going out with them to town which is nice to see, he was a virgin beforehand apparently so this might've been what he needed to become less socially awkward around women, which I'm glad to see is finally happening to him!

It's pretty awesome having sex often with peeps that you know well rather than taking a gamble and hooking up at bars or dating websites! Been an interesting couple of weeks.

Nudull

Banned
So yeah, I proposed an arrangement with two of my best buds a couple weeks ago. Sex often, with no strings attached and no commitment, just as long as they're single I'll give them what they want. As soon as they hook up that arrangement will come to an end. Have to say it's been working out really well so far. Had sex with them both about half a dozen times so far over the last forthnight. My friendships with both are as strong as ever and one for of them, it seems to have improved his social interaction as well, he's been a lot more confident around women and interacting with them from what I saw this weekend when going out with them to town which is nice to see, he was a virgin beforehand apparently so this might've been what he needed to become less socially awkward around women, which I'm glad to see is finally happening to him!

It's pretty awesome having sex often with peeps that you know well rather than taking a gamble and hooking up at bars of dating websites! Been an interesting couple of weeks.

That's nice to hear. Wish I was able to do the same, being newish to sex and all.

Leeness

So yeah, I proposed an arrangement with two of my best buds a couple weeks ago. Sex often, with no strings attached and no commitment, just as long as they're single I'll give them what they want. As soon as they hook up that arrangement will come to an end. Have to say it's been working out really well so far. Had sex with them both about half a dozen times so far over the last forthnight. My friendships with both are as strong as ever and for one of them, it seems to have improved his social behaviour as well, he's been a lot more confident around women and interacting with them from what I saw this weekend when going out with them to town which is nice to see, he was a virgin beforehand apparently so this might've been what he needed to become less socially awkward around women, which I'm glad to see is finally happening to him!

It's pretty awesome having sex often with peeps that you know well rather than taking a gamble and hooking up at bars or dating websites! Been an interesting couple of weeks.

Lol damn. Good on you.

I want the exact opposite :D Emotional strings attached, no sex? Lmao.

I need Pokemon Sun Moon.

I'm not sure which version to get.

I want it but...I probably won't pick it up because I have a bad habit of buying Pokemon games and never finishing them...I don't think I've finished one since the original Gold/Silver lol. And I bought Heart Gold.

Jobbs

Banned

I know most men would probably jump at this arrangement but I don't think I could do it. I tend to only want to have sex with people I like a lot, and if I like them a lot I'd get jealous if they were with anyone else.

I wouldn't mind an exclusive + casual arrangement, which makes little sense and probably doesn't exist. Haha.

olympia

high fucking five dude. that does indeed sound awesome.

i got a question for girl gaf: what are you guys listening to lately? i know we've had music chat in here before, but i know people get into certain moods or certain music for certain reasons. or a podcast. i'm cool with discussing that too. i'd love to hear recommendations.

i haven't listened to oh inverted world by the shins in a long ass time and i spun it today while working. i almost forgot how it's just such a great album and probably one of the greatest (and most influential) debut albums ever. everyone knows new slang, but the album has truly great songs front to back and the imagery in the lyrics is really awesome. i can't believe that album turned 15 this summer

Top Bottom