• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Ayumi

Do feel better soon, everyone. :(

That sounds like something I'd read in a hokey young adult novel. XD

It's not quite the same, but I've been diagnosed with ASD, putting me on the autism spectrum. My parents knew about it since I was a kid, but lived in denial and lied to me about it until I was examined again two years ago. I had to fight my own family to get to that point and know for sure, and even then, they made sure that the treatment I was getting wouldn't last due to funds. Ignorance is bliss, as they said.
That sounds awful, I'm sorry to hear that. Has it been affecting you a lot negatively as an adult? I feel like my ADHD still has bad sides, but it isn't as bad as when I was a kid in terms of concentration since I'm not in school anymore. It still affects me though, especially when I lived alone.
Was diagnosed at 14. What do you want to know?
No questions.. Just kinda wanted to feel less alone!

Zaphrynn

Hope everyone sick feels better soon!

Saw this on reddit. A foal has a horse birth mark and it's so adorable.

CLu1Svx.jpg

Wish I could ride a horse. They seem like sweet animals.

That's pretty awesome. I love horses.

It's not quite the same, but I've been diagnosed with ASD, putting me on the autism spectrum. My parents knew about it since I was a kid, but lived in denial and lied to me about it until I was examined again two years ago. I had to fight my own family to get to that point and know for sure, and even then, they made sure that the treatment I was getting wouldn't last due to funds. Ignorance is bliss, as they said.

Wtfffff???????? I'm glad you at least know what's up now. Better late than never.

One of my best friends just got officially diagnosed with ADHD. It was pretty obvious she had it, in hindsight. I've known her since middle school, so I guess i was so used to her personality I never thought about it, haha. She's 29 now. Therapy and meds has been a huge help for her. I'm really glad =)

That sounds awful, I'm sorry to hear that. Has it been affecting you a lot negatively as an adult? I feel like my ADHD still has bad sides, but it isn't as bad as when I was a kid in terms of concentration since I'm not in school anymore. It still affects me though, especially when I lived alone.

No questions.. Just kinda wanted to feel less alone!

This is just a drive-by post from a dude, but I am a teacher at a high school and add/adhd diagnoses are quite common these days. I'd guess 20% of our students have one. You are far from alone with it.

I actually feel over time my ADHD has gotten worse. I used to be able to sit through a class without meds and live life normally generally. Now I'm a mess without meds. The worst thing is feeling "I don't have ADHD" because I'd feel like I have a handicap or was inferior because of it. Took a lot of rationialization and self reflecting to get to the point where I asked my doctor for a new rx after being off for over a decade because "ADHD is something you can grow out of" "I can hack it on my own now" "I don't want a crutch". The reality is that if you've got a broken leg, you need a crutch. There's nothing dishonorable about it and you aren't cheating life. This is important to understand and I'm glad you're taking steps to fix it.

Worth reading:

http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20283301,00.html

It notes how ADHD is different in women.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Honestly I should probably get checked out for that too I haven't been able to properly focus since like Middle School. Poor family so never really got checked for those kind of things only things which require stitches and extreme pain.

Not that I'm doubting any of you but at the clinic where I work we often see parents coming in getting their children tested repeatedly because they insist they "must be on the spectrum." Parents that have been to multiple doctors or were there a year ago but want yet another opinion (that matches their own).

Overall I think it's over diagnosed and parents are looking to medicate their kids instead of having to actually do some parenting. It's really sad.

Also I once rode a horse when I was like 6 or 7... I remember it clearly because it scared me. It was the first time I felt another creature that felt so much more powerful than me that I was sure it could kill me.

Not that I'm doubting any of you but at the clinic where I work we often see parents coming in getting their children tested repeatedly because they insist they "must be on the spectrum." Parents that have been to multiple doctors or were there a year ago but want yet another opinion (that matches their own).

Overall I think it's over diagnosed and parents are looking to medicate their kids instead of having to actually do some parenting. It's really sad.

Also I once rode a horse when I was like 6 or 7... I remember it clearly because it scared me. It was the first time I felt another creature that felt so much more powerful than me that I was sure it could kill me.

It can be misdiagnosed and overdosed but that doesn't take away from the reality it's real and people have a tendency to spout that it's an issue with parenting and over diagnosis than actually confront the fact ADHD exists, even within adults. That some doctors or parents are looking for a diagnosis has nothing to do with me and the fact I had to go back inside my apartment this morning three times before leaving because I kept forgetting something and my mind was all over the place. It's just a general inpertinence.

It's absolutely overdiagnosed. Parents who can afford it 'shop around' until they find a doctor who will write up the diagnosis that they want (there was an article about this last year, maybe in the NYT?). I also know of one instance at the school I work at where a parent just lied and said the kid got extra test time for add and our office never confirmed it. I doubt it was the only time that's happened.

But I also think two other things are going on. (I'm 40.) I think there is better diagnosing of kids who have problems than when I was a kid. I also think that kids today are exposed to stimuli (flashing screens of TV, tablets, and phones) that increase the likelihood of their developing add-type issues. You will never convince me it's healthy for young kids to look at screens all day.

Misha

Banned
Its good that parents are getting their kids checked. Huge upgrade from the time where mental disorders were considered excuses for your failures.
I'd way rather it be overdiagnosed than underdiagnosed.

Media

Some shit might be going around. I've been nauseous all day. Haven't actually gotten sick (which would be a relief). Instead I've just been teetering on the brink.

And to make matters worse I have to stay up all night because I'm starting a new schedule at work imma have to get used to. :[

Picked up something nasty somehow. It feels like flu, but it's not flu season is it? Ugh. Fever, coughing, throwing up, everything. I hate this shit and hope it fades quickly.

Sibylus

Banned
Loved my first pride march. Sun was scorching but the people were so kind. I got invited out to lunch by the people who gave me a ride, omg! This day kicks ass.

It can be misdiagnosed and overdosed but that doesn't take away from the reality it's real and people have a tendency to spout that it's an issue with parenting and over diagnosis than actually confront the fact ADHD exists, even within adults. That some doctors or parents are looking for a diagnosis has nothing to do with me and the fact I had to go back inside my apartment this morning three times before leaving because I kept forgetting something and my mind was all over the place. It's just a general inpertinence.

Yeah, like I said I'm not saying any of you aren't legitimately on the spectrum or whatever, I was just sharing my experiences at the clinic where I work. I was just talking with a clinician saying he just met some parents that were visiting for the fourth time to get a diagnosis. He keeps telling them the kid isn't autistic but they insist he is. The tests don't show it at any doctor they go to but they don't want to hear it. It's sad.

It's absolutely overdiagnosed. Parents who can afford it 'shop around' until they find a doctor who will write up the diagnosis that they want (there was an article about this last year, maybe in the NYT?). I also know of one instance at the school I work at where a parent just lied and said the kid got extra test time for add and our office never confirmed it. I doubt it was the only time that's happened.

But I also think two other things are going on. (I'm 40.) I think there is better diagnosing of kids who have problems than when I was a kid. I also think that kids today are exposed to stimuli (flashing screens of TV, tablets, and phones) that increase the likelihood of their developing add-type issues. You will never convince me it's healthy for young kids to look at screens all day.

Yeah, agreed. I think that early long-term internet exposure probably leads to some issues as well. Ultimately too many parents are letting media babysit their kids.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I'll be honest, teaching my daughter how to keep and get the sand out of her folds and cracks was not something I envisioned doing before I became a parent.

Had a beach day and now the sand cleanup begins.

Ceallach

hahaha this sounds so cute <3

That's because you don't have sand all over YOUR bathroom, now, lol. I had to wash her hair like 3 times. And try to explain that she shouldn't use a bunch of soap down there even if the sand is irritating. Its a tough conversation to have with a 5 year old. I can't exactly explain vaginal pH levels, lol.

That's because you don't have sand all over YOUR bathroom, now, lol. I had to wash her hair like 3 times. And try to explain that she shouldn't use a bunch of soap down there even if the sand is irritating. Its a tough conversation to have with a 5 year old. I can't exactly explain vaginal pH levels, lol.

tell her the secret princess cave may only be touched by pure water.

and then to squat and rinse that shit out lol :D

I was looking up what to consider when getting permanent fake lashes (I just really love this shit) and one page said the process could have complications if you're on your period. like wtf, why? they just glue them on.

The car's pulling away I can't hear you heeeeelllllpppp.

yay you are staying and speaking <3

i donno much about ADD cuz grew up in asia and back home, there was no one i know that has been diagnosed with it. like, literally zero person. so i have no experience and knowledge on this :<

i hope with treatment and medicine, you gals are having your diagnosed conditions under control! i sends you all some good jujus~

went to the nature park yesterday and did a long trail walk with the doggies! it was so tiring but it was so beautiful too <3 knackered today. thankfully its sunday. gonna do absolutely ~nothing~ all day

aww yeaahhhh

Ceallach

I was looking up what to consider when getting permanent fake lashes (I just really love this shit) and one page said the process could have complications if you're on your period. like wtf, why? they just glue them on.

You don't bleed out of your eyeballs too?

Pau

Old puppies at vets is hard. It's always a little scary. Let us know how it goes <3

Hope he will pull through, pau! And happy 15th to him! I had to say goodbye to my other dog earlier this year and that was so heart breaking. Hugs for you and your doggie &#10084;
Thanks you two. <3 Skippy is back at home with my parents. I'm debating whether or not to fly to Miami this week before school starts. Might be the last chance I get to see him. :( I know 15 years is a long time and we've been lucky to have him so long but I've also had him for more than half my life.

Ayumi

i donno much about ADD cuz grew up in asia and back home, there was no one i know that has been diagnosed with it. like, literally zero person.
It's the same in Japan, which is why I'm getting my diagnosis in another country while on vacation at my mom's. Mental health care in Japan is almost non-existent. People just ignore it because they're ashamed, and they don't wanna feel like an inconvenience to others. It's really sad. So then naturally the knowledge of mental health is extremely limited and most people try to pretend they're fine.

The people I know with ADHD are all online friends. I (and other family members) suspect my dad has it too, but he doesn't even understand what it is, so he has never actually gotten diagnosed.

Thanks you two. <3 Skippy is back at home with my parents. I'm debating whether or not to fly to Miami this week before school starts. Might be the last chance I get to see him. :( I know 15 years is a long time and we've been lucky to have him so long but I've also had him for more than half my life.

If it's the last chance you will get to see him, I'd try and go to at least say good bye and thank you for all the memories ;__; but, understandably, traveling is a big hassle (and cost) ;__;

oh man. im tearing up again. dogs are my kryptonite.

It's the same in Japan, which is why I'm getting my diagnosis in another country while on vacation at my mom's. Mental health care in Japan is almost non-existent. People just ignore it because they're ashamed, and they don't wanna feel like an inconvenience to others. It's really sad. So then naturally the knowledge of mental health is extremely limited and most people try to pretend they're fine.

The people I know with ADHD are all online friends. I (and other family members) suspect my dad has it too, but he doesn't even understand what it is, so he has never actually gotten diagnosed.

yeppers. no one i know in my family has ADD or even acknowledge it as a legitimate thing. they are still mostly living in asia. it's pretty weird that i have to explain to my parents some of this stuff relating to mental issues that are recognized well in australia.

wahey~

Zaphrynn

I'd say if you can, and if you really think it'll be your last chance to see him, go see him. You won't regret it. My childhood dog lived to be 13. I lived in another state, but flew home to see her and be there when it was time to put her down. It was sad, but I'm really glad I made the trip. My animals are my family.

olympia

Why do dogs have such small little lives :(

A turtle can live to be over 100

I don't get it!

imo we spend our lives trying to be happy and dogs already have that shit figured out.

turtles are perpetual grumps though

also thanks to everyone for the well wishes for kona. he is now donut-free

suzu

Pau, if you have the time/money, go for it. I miss my pupper (he was 15 too).

Misha, it could be an upper respiratory infection. Depends on how severe the symptoms are. If it's mild.. she'll get over it eventually. Take kitty to the vet if it gets worse (like drippy goopy eyes/nose, congestion, lack of appetite, etc).

Nudull

Banned
I'll echo everyone and say that you should go see Skippy, Pau. If it's truly the end, its best that he gets to have loved ones with him.

Misha

Banned
Misha, it could be an upper respiratory infection. Depends on how severe the symptoms are. If it's mild.. she'll get over it eventually. Take kitty to the vet if it gets worse (like drippy goopy eyes/nose, congestion, lack of appetite, etc).
Its just sneezing but its been going on for like 3 days now and she'll sneeze 10 times in a row. We know a vet so if it keeps up she'll just stop over
not enough pizza, clearly

Maybe ill get her one with anchovies

Jobbs

Banned
imo we spend our lives trying to be happy and dogs already have that shit figured out.

turtles are perpetual grumps though

also thanks to everyone for the well wishes for kona. he is now donut-free

I love turtles, don't get me wrong. :3

I just wish doggies lived long lives too!

Thanks for the well wishes and thoughts everyone. Just booked my flight. It'll be for only a couple of days but I'll get to say goodbye at least and give him lots of pets.

you're a good person :')

Pau

Thanks for the well wishes and thoughts everyone. Just booked my flight. It'll be for only a couple of days but I'll get to say goodbye at least and give him lots of pets.

Nudull

Banned
Why are honey roasted nuts so good? ;_;

*hugs* Best wishes.

Kinsei

Banned
I was at a summer camp this weekend. It was great seeing old friends I haven't seen since last year and making new ones. I think I'm getting a lot better at interacting with people and not just hiding in a corner.

I hope all of you that were felling sick are better now, or, if you're not better, get better soon.

That's good. I'm sending my best wishes.

Top Bottom