• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

I did the same thing as Holly, lasered all my hair off. It was actually my now-girlfriend who put me into the idea. Im glad it's not something I have to deal with anymore.

That being said I'm also glad jacket season has finally come. Jackets and sweaters are probably my favorite fashion item.

I've heard that laser hair removal isn't actually permanent and that you need to go back for a ton of treatments. Is that true? Eff that noise.

I use a mens razor (Gillette 5 blades because for whatever reason all the ladies ones I've used suck and the hair is hard to get out of them.

I've been dealing with embarrassing dry eyebrow skin lately. :(

Zoe

I've gotten laser done for 6 treatments (about 8 months). The thick prickly hair is essentially gone. I get some peach fuzz, but I have to consciously remember to shave these days.

Regular laser different from electrolysis though. That is supposed to be permanent.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I've heard that laser hair removal isn't actually permanent and that you need to go back for a ton of treatments. Is that true? Eff that noise.

I use a mens razor (Gillette 5 blades because for whatever reason all the ladies ones I've used suck and the hair is hard to get out of them.

I've been dealing with embarrassing dry eyebrow skin lately. :(

I know that is true for electrolysis, but I thought laser was just maybe a couple of times. And I've never liked women's razor either. I always had dry eyebrows, resulting in dandruff in them if I don't scratch them out when showering and using conditioner.

Ayumi

Fuck, I wish I could afford laser. My hair is so black and thick. God damn French genes.

If I shave my legs in the evening, I can feel the hair stubs sneaking up in the morning.
I bought an epilator but it seems to give the same results as shaving, just less smooth. Just so much easier to shave while showering since I've got other stuff to shave too. I usually use conditioner to shave, it leaves it super duper smooth.

Dice//

Banned
i'd definitely like to get my armpits laser'd. Hair there is ugly, and annoying, and even a little bit of hair there doesn't "hide well".

I *am* meeting for a plastic surgeon consultation in a couple weeks. I'm excited for that. :X
Hooray to the real-life photoshop.

I hate shaving but I absolutely love how everything feels when your legs are smooth. Sheets, stockings, etc. If I put on stockings or pantyhose after shaving my legs I turn into a cricket. Rub rub.

Smooth things are nice.

Side note, does anyone rub their fingernails together? I've always had a little quirk where I'll rub the pad of my index finger against the nail of my middle finger.

Give me warm! Give me soft!

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
On the topic of shaving, I remember seeing this (perhaps not that exact brand though) on TV shop a few years ago:

mitten7sse0.png

Has anyone tried that? I suppose it could be a bit safer to use than a regular razor or Nair. But then again, it was on TV shop so the results could be scant.

Zoe

Rösti;221789675 said:
On the topic of shaving, I remember seeing this (perhaps not that exact brand though) on TV shop a few years ago:

mitten7sse0.png

Has anyone tried that? I suppose it could be a bit safer to use than a regular razor or Nair. But then again, it was on TV shop so the results could be scant.
I used one of those before. Left my skin super dry.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Ladies, I need some advice / opinions:

My female friend and I are huge Colbert fans, we are also very much into US politics (we are canadian).

We have secured tickets to Colbert's live show in NYC on election night and are very much interested in going...

I told my gf this and she pretty much flipped her shit at the idea of me going to NYC for one night to see the show with another girl.

She sees it as me staying in a hotel with another girl, whereas I see it as two platonic friends going to see colbert.

Backstory: friend and I have known each other about a decade, we are both in committed relationships, this is a once-in-a-lifetime event for us and would be hellishly awesome to go to.

We only have two tickets.

So it caused a major fight, and I totally understand her position on it, but I don't know what to do.

The nice guy in me says don't go because she won't get pissed any further, but the other part of me thinks there's nothing wrong because nothing's going to happen other than two friends going to see a live show.

What should I do?

If we went, we'd literally fly after work on tuesday, go see the show that evening, and fly back first thing wednesday AM to be back in time for work.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm sure some ladies will chime in -- but I'd not be comfortable with my GF going on a trip and sharing a hotel alone with another guy. Would you?

What should I do?

Uhhhhh don't do something that your GF is very upset by (and quite reasonably so)... Colbert's not even funny in his new show anyway.

Just got home from the bar. Long work day and wanted to cap it off with a nice drink. Some tall man tried to converse with me when it was clear I wanted to be alone after ordering my drink. He kept invading my space. He said that if Hillary wins that there will be World War III and that if Donald Trump wins we'll have a Civil War. I kept trying to signal to the bar tender to come and get my money so I could go, but he didn't come on over.This guy wouldn't leave me alone and I had to listen to him. He ended up talking about how his dad's birthday was on Friday, but that his dad died in 1998. It started to really, really scare me. He had scary eyes that looked like they were coming out of his skeleton. He said he was thankful I listened to and conversed with him but I really only did so because I was scared and he was invading my space. I was there alone and was completely on guard and this still happened. In the end, I tried paying for my drink (which I never left unattended thankfully) but he wanted to pay.

I swear if he was going to lay a finger on me I was fully prepared to put him in a rear naked choke in the middle of the bar.

I ended up having to look bar to see if he was following me or not when I left.

Did I overreact? Was he just trying to have a friendly conversation?

Ladies, I need some advice / opinions:

My female friend and I are huge Colbert fans, we are also very much into US politics (we are canadian).

We have secured tickets to Colbert's live show in NYC on election night and are very much interested in going...

I told my gf this and she pretty much flipped her shit at the idea of me going to NYC for one night to see the show with another girl.

She sees it as me staying in a hotel with another girl, whereas I see it as two platonic friends going to see colbert.

Backstory: friend and I have known each other about a decade, we are both in committed relationships, this is a once-in-a-lifetime event for us and would be hellishly awesome to go to.

We only have two tickets.

So it caused a major fight, and I totally understand her position on it, but I don't know what to do.

The nice guy in me says don't go because she won't get pissed any further, but the other part of me thinks there's nothing wrong because nothing's going to happen other than two friends going to see a live show.

What should I do?

If we went, we'd literally fly after work on tuesday, go see the show that evening, and fly back first thing wednesday AM to be back in time for work.

Should get your girlfriend a ticket. It would be natural to feel insecure about this.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I dunno, sounds insecure to me. If my boyfriend did the same thing for some event I didn't care about, I'd just tell him to have fun.

I went on kendo trips with guys and shared hotel rooms with them to save costs (sometimes it was just one guy, sometimes two). Never been an issue.

Uhhhhh don't do something that your GF is very upset by (and quite reasonably so)... Colbert's not even funny in his new show anyway.
Disagree that it's reasonable, but the part about Colbert's new show sucking is a good point. xD

Also, Cindi, you didn't overreact. This guy was being a huge creep. Sorry you had to go through this and I'm glad nothing escalated at least.

DrEvil

I'm sure some ladies will chime in -- but I'd not be comfortable with my GF going on a trip and sharing a hotel alone with another guy. Would you?

Well, I trust her so I wouldn't really have issue with it; if it's an event that I didn't want to go to, then by all means if she was excited to go, then go.

Should get your girlfriend a ticket. It would be natural to feel insecure about this.

It's not that easy; the whole thing was waitlist only, and they granted my friend 2 tickets; and she asked me to go because we were both talking about going if we were able to get tickets.

I dunno, sounds insecure to me. If my boyfriend did the same thing for some event I didn't care about, I'd just tell him to have fun.

I went on kendo trips with guys and shared hotel rooms with them to save costs (sometimes it was just one guy, sometimes two). Never been an issue.

Disagree that it's reasonable, but the part about Colbert's new show sucking is a good point. xD

Exactly; to me this isn't 'going on a vacation with a girl', this is going to see colbert with a friend who is just as into the show as I am, and it unfortunately inolves an overnight.

Grimalkin

Ladies, I need some advice / opinions...

You left out a lot of pertinent info, like if you are staying in the same hotel room as your female friend, how long you have been dating your girlfriend, etc.

What it comes down to for me is that she is your girlfriend, not your fiance, not your wife. She really doesn't have much ground to stand on in having a say in what you do as you have not made a serious commitment to her.

That said, if my husband had done this to me while we were seriously dating but not yet engaged I would have had an issue with it. It's disrespectful to not discuss it with her before you purchased the tickets (or maybe you did?). Putting myself if your girlfriend's shoes for a moment, to me the issue would be about a lack of respect for my feelings. The fact that you got the tickets without discussing it with her means you didn't even consider how she might feel about it. GAF is fairly socially liberal but a lot of the "real world" is much more conservative and wouldn't be okay with opposite sex staying the the same hotel room when one or both parties is in a committed relationship.

If you see a future with your girlfriend (marriage or similar) then don't go, it's not worth it. If you don't think you will be together long term, do what you want.

Edit: Just read the update that your friend got the tickets, not you, so that's a bit different in that she asked you to go, not the other way around. Still, I hope you discussed going with your girlfriend before you committed to going with your friend.

Well, I trust her so I wouldn't really have issue with it; if it's an event that I didn't want to go to, then by all means if she was excited to go, then go.

Going to have to call you out on this one. It's not always about trust, it's about respect. Really it depends on your girlfriend's personality and previous life experiences but her issue may not be that she doesn't trust you, it's that she feels you don't respect her.

As always, try to talk it through.

Just got home from the bar. Long work day and wanted to cap it off with a nice drink. Some tall man tried to converse with me when it was clear I wanted to be alone after ordering my drink. He kept invading my space. He said that if Hillary wins that there will be World War III and that if Donald Trump wins we'll have a Civil War. I kept trying to signal to the bar tender to come and get my money so I could go, but he didn't come on over.This guy wouldn't leave me alone and I had to listen to him. He ended up talking about how his dad's birthday was on Friday, but that his dad died in 1998. It started to really, really scare me. He had scary eyes that looked like they were coming out of his skeleton. He said he was thankful I listened to and conversed with him but I really only did so because I was scared and he was invading my space. I was there alone and was completely on guard and this still happened. In the end, I tried paying for my drink (which I never left unattended thankfully) but he wanted to pay.

I swear if he was going to lay a finger on me I was fully prepared to put him in a rear naked choke in the middle of the bar.

Dude was creeping, no doubt about it. If it was intentional or not makes no difference, end result is still the same. It really bothers me that in our society women are expected to be constantly contentious of how we come off to other people and make others feel but men are permitted to go around completely oblivious to how the are perceived by others. And if we women take offense to their off-putting behavior it's still somehow our fault for not "understanding" that they don't know any better.

DrEvil

You left out a lot of pertinent info, like if you are staying in the same hotel room as your female friend, how long you have been dating your girlfriend, etc.

What it comes down to for me is that she is your girlfriend, not your fiance, not your wife. She really doesn't have much ground to stand on in having a say in what you do as you have not made a serious commitment to her.

That said, if my husband had done this to me while we were seriously dating but not yet engaged I would have had an issue with it. It's disrespectful to not discuss it with her before you purchased the tickets (or maybe you did?). Putting myself if your girlfriend's shoes for a moment, to me the issue would be about a lack of respect for my feelings. The fact that you got the tickets without discussing it with her means you didn't even consider how she might feel about it. GAF is fairly socially liberal but a lot of the "real world" is much more conservative and wouldn't be okay with opposite sex staying the the same hotel room when one or both parties is in a committed relationship.

If you see a future with your girlfriend (marriage or similar) then don't go, it's not worth it. If you don't think you will be together long term, do what you want.

Edit: Just read the update that your friend got the tickets, not you, so that's a bit different in that she asked you to go, not the other way around. Still, I hope you discussed going with your girlfriend before you committed to going with your friend.

Going to have to call you out on this one. It's not always about trust, it's about respect. Really it depends on your girlfriend's personality and previous life experiences but her issue may not be that she doesn't trust you, it's that she feels you don't respect her.

As always, try to talk it through.

Yes we would have the same room to save on costs,

My friend and I both tried to get tickets to increase our chances. When my gf and I were sitting on the couch last week I mentioned I wanted to try and get tickets but they were on a waitlist only at that point.

She mentioned she didn't like Colbert or US politics all that well, so I took that as her not wanting to go.

Fast forward to yesterday, my friends request gets approved and mine does not, so she invites me. I then tell my GF that we got the tickets and were thinking of going.

She is adamant I never told her about the tickets in the first place (even though I did), and has caused this whole mess because she has no recollection of the initial conversation.

I just wish there was some compromise where it'd lessen the impact of me going.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear

I don't think you overreacted at all. You can never be too careful. Thank goodness you were unharmed.

Still I can see why you're confused. He sounds like a very troubled person. Poor guy...

There's always that one stranger you meet at random and they just single you out to vent. Someone once told me it means there is an air about you that attracts people to be comfortable with you. Unfortunately yes it can be awkward at times. Especially when you walk away feeling a sense of guilt.

Alright mah peeps. I'm excited for a game for the first time in a long time. Anybody here on board for Owlboy? I only just found out that exists but after watching some gameplay vids I'm about to splurge without waiting for a sale. Here's hoping it's on the same level as Ori and the Blind Forest. My favorite game of the last 5 years.

Aww yissssssss

So tired of grimdark.

Side note, I'm just going to pretend the main character is Medli from Wind Waker.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You left out a lot of pertinent info, like if you are staying in the same hotel room as your female friend,
He implied that he would in his original post.

Whaaaaat

My boyfriend and I are more stable and committed to most marriages I know about. Get out of there with this nonsense, you can be committed without having signed a stupid piece of paper...

That said, if my husband had done this to me while we were seriously dating but not yet engaged I would have had an issue with it. It's disrespectful to not discuss it with her before you purchased the tickets (or maybe you did?). Putting myself if your girlfriend's shoes for a moment, to me the issue would be about a lack of respect for my feelings.
Seems like he did discuss the ticket thing prior and she doesn't remember (or pretends not to in order to be pissed). But regardless, this reeks of BS to me. Respect for the feelings? What feelings are being... felt, here? Unless you are insecure, that is. He didn't do anything wrong. He's not, say, refusing to attend some event with her in order to be with a friend, or neglecting child care duty, etc. He just wants to go out of town to an event with a friend for one night. That does not impact her at all. Unless there's some history of cheating or something that could threaten their trust, but that's clearly not the case here.

There are no feelings to be had here beyond paranoia and insecurity. If my boyfriend told me he felt "disrespected" because I decided to go on a kendo road trip with a male friend, I'd laugh in his face. Fortunately he's neither irrational nor possessive.

The fact that you got the tickets without discussing it with her means you didn't even consider how she might feel about it. GAF is fairly socially liberal but a lot of the "real world" is much more conservative and wouldn't be okay with opposite sex staying the the same hotel room when one or both parties is in a committed relationship.
If true, that's sad. If people are so insecure around their SO they should probably stay single.

Zoe

I'd be more upset at my bf getting to travel to an exciting city while I'd be stuck at home on the couch.

(actually I'd be the most upset at my bf throwing away several hundred dollars on a whim for something that doesn't even take up a whole day)

Jobbs

Banned
Alright mah peeps. I'm excited for a game for the first time in a long time. Anybody here on board for Owlboy? I only just found out that exists but after watching some gameplay vids I'm about to splurge without waiting for a sale. Here's hoping it's on the same level as Ori and the Blind Forest. My favorite game of the last 5 years.

Aww yissssssss

So tired of grimdark.

Side note, I'm just going to pretend the main character is Medli from Wind Waker.

Yeah, I saw the game came out today and I did a quad take. :D

A little tired of pixel art but I'd like to play it due to the long history I have watching the game come up -- I was aware of it before I even had ambitions of game dev and I actually learned a few things by studying it and emailing with the creator.

DrEvil

I'd be more upset at my bf getting to travel to an exciting city while I'd be stuck at home on the couch.

(actually I'd be the most upset at my bf throwing away several hundred dollars on a whim for something that doesn't even take up a whole day)

The whole trip will be less than $500, I make enough that this isn't a HUGE deal, and for something as rare of an opportunity as this, I think it'd be worth going.

That said, the GF has never been to NYC, so she's doubly pissed that I'm going without her.. and I said that I'd love to take her, when we're actually staying for longer than 12 hours and can actually see the city and such.

Does she think there's anything between the two of you?

Probably, she knows I thought she was cute but I've said time and time again she's not my type and there's no romantic attraction between either of us.

My friend has a BF as well, I asked her what he thought of the situation, she told me 'much the same, he's not happy, but he's dealing with it'.

We are both kind of of the same mind that we're just two friends going to see Colbert, and it's not as big of a deal as it's being made out to be... my friend and I have known eachother for over a decade now.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Could you take some days off work (maybe just one or two) and instead go together, you and your gf, she and her bf?

Sucks that they're being such babies about this, though.

I watched an hour of the start of Owl Boy and it looked pretty boring to be honest. I don't see the appeal. That being said, I know people have been waiting forever for it, so I'm glad it's finally come out and people get to play it.

Speaking of partner insecurity, my gf held onto her unrequited crush for over five years while I stayed in denial, so I can basically trust her with anything. It's awesome.

I'd never trust anyone 100%. there's always a chance of something happening or at least one person trying to start something. I think her reaction is pretty rational.

Ayumi

not saying it is guaranteed but yeah I'd definitely feel uncomfortable about it. maybe she already sensed the female friend being into him or something. being jealous doesn't always have crazy reasoning.

edit: if they're staying in the same room that is.
I'd never in my life let hubby stay in a hotel room overnight with another woman, unless there were several other people with them. Imo, it's very inappropriate and would make me feel extremely uncomfortable. I just don't see the point, but I can understand some don't mind. I personally would mind. It's all about boundaries. If one doesn't like it, I think that should be respected, and without questions. It's perfectly normal to be jealous of things, especially a situation where it's easy to have your mind run wild with potential outcomes (as the one not in the hotel).

Jobbs

Banned
^^ thanks you two. I was starting to think I was the crazy one (or the only sane one, idk). I would be soooooooooooooo not okay with my GF going on a one on one trip with a dude and staying in a hotel room with him.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You guys are completely fucking crazy, and/or have trust issues, and/or need to find yourselves better SOs if you can't even trust them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Irrational jealously is sure an ugly sentiment. So glad I don't have such a possessive SO.

If you cannot trust your SO to share a hotel room with a a platonic friend without getting uncomfortable I really have to wonder why you are even with them.

Jobbs

Banned
You guys are completely fucking crazy, and/or have trust issues, and/or need to find yourselves better SOs if you can't even trust them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Irrational jealously is sure an ugly sentiment. So glad I don't have such a possessive SO.

If you cannot trust your SO to share a hotel room with a a platonic friend without getting uncomfortable I really have to wonder why you are even with them.

It's not a matter of trust, it's a matter of boundaries.

Would you want your boyfriend to kiss another woman, even if they considered it no big deal? Is that different from sharing a room? Why exactly? Both are kind of intimate. You could argue one is more intimate, but why is that a universal boundary -- that exact point on the intimacy scale -- that should apply the same to everyone?

DrEvil

Would you want your boyfriend to kiss another woman, even if they considered it no big deal? Is that different from sharing a room? Why exactly? Both are kind of intimate. You could argue one is more intimate, but why is that a universal boundary -- that exact point on the intimacy scale -- that should apply the same to everyone?

A physical boundary is broken by kissing another person, sleeping in proximity to them is not breaking anything, completely different ends of the spectrum.

For the record, we'd be in separate beds.

Maybe it's just because I've gone to so many cons, but I'd hardly classify sharing a room as intimate unless the people in the room make it that way.

This is also a point for me. I've been to countless E3s, and other related events where sharing rooms with people has become a matter of convenience.

---

That said, she's not happy about it but has told me to go to the show.. I Know it doesn't sit well with her and I've acknowledged that. I just asked her to trust that I won't betray her or do anything to give her any cause for suspicion.

I've done everything I can to reassure her about it and I'm sure this rollercoaster of a week is just getting started as friends and family will weigh in on the morals of this whole thing and cause her to change her mind a few more times.

Oh man where do you even draw the line then? Is your SO allowed to carpool with someone else? Are study groups too intimate? I'd be afraid to even give a friendly hug if my partner was that possessive.

DrEvil

Oh man where do you even draw the line then? Is your SO allowed to carpool with someone else? Are study groups too intimate? I'd be afraid to even give a friendly hug if my partner was that possessive.

This is exactly it; I mean, she knows most of my friends are female, I find it easier to be myself around women. I'm nice to a fault, but I know my limits and I know whats appropriate and what's not.

I've hid nothing from her but she is obviously somewhat jealous at the prospect of me hanging out with another girl at all.

My friendship with the person i'm going to colbert with is much much longer than my relationship with my gf, and I know that's not an 'excuse' or any kind of .. permission to prioritize one above the other, but I'm not one to abandon a friend just because I've entered a relationship.

99% of the time we hang out together, and it's once in a blue moon I spend time with ANY of my female friends.. This one just happens to involve a hotel stay and that's the biggest part of her concern, which is totally understandable.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Comparing kissing to sharing a hotel room? SMH

There is nothing intimate about sharing a hotel room. We're not talking about sleeping in the same bed here. Jesus...

Maybe it's just because I've gone to so many cons, but I'd hardly classify sharing a room as intimate unless the people in the room make it that way.
Finally sane people lol

Guess you don't like learning that you are a jealous and possessive person huh. ;)

Top Bottom