• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Media

Finally had enough of the Women President thread, and waded in. Watch as I get yelled at for thinking sexism had anything to do with the loss :p

I just don't get how 'progressive Neogaf!' could deny it was a large factor, and it's honestly making me a little depressed.

kEIJ835.gif

Given the alacrity that the general progressive tone has shifted to carrying water for and trying to normalize Trump...well...nuances of sexism will at minimum get curious omission if not outright hostility.

In other words, as with other things, the DAPL thread served as an excellent barometer of waking reality and those who reckon otherwise despite the high stakes.

Leeness

Finally had enough of the Women President thread, and waded in. Watch as I get yelled at for thinking sexism had anything to do with the loss :p

I just don't get how 'progressive Neogaf!' could deny it was a large factor, and it's honestly making me a little depressed.

kEIJ835.gif

Doing gods work.

tumblr_inline_mjcm0ktYEb1qz4rgp.gif

Jobbs

Banned
Hillary and Trump were held to such amazingly, mind blowingly different standards of conduct by the media and people in general that it's shocking. She was basically a girlscout for the whole campaign but people said she's not trustworthy because of vague innuendo about emails. Meanwhile, Trump.. Well, we all know all the shit he said and did

Swamped

Banned
This is a very crude and not at all nuanced exercise, but just imagine a female version of Trump running against a male version of Hilary. Of course sexism played an important part.

After the election I was very depressed and disappointed, but this stupid line from the Epic Rap Battles of History kept playing over and over in my head, so absurd that it made me crack a small smile:

"You want to break the glass ceiling, Hilary, I sense it. But the only crack you'll find is my ass pressed against it"

How true that turned out to be.

Anyway, sorry for my ramblings XD

shiba5

This is a very crude and not at all nuanced exercise, but just imagine a female version of Trump running against a male version of Hilary. Of course sexism played an important part.

After the election I was very depressed and disappointed, but this stupid line from the Epic Rap Battles of History kept playing over and over in my head, so absurd that it made me crack a small smile:

"You want to break the glass ceiling, Hilary, I sense it. But the only crack you'll find is my ass pressed against it"

A female Trump would have never made it into the primary. They be digging into her background so fast, her entire history would be all over the news.
If she tweeted anything - ever, she'd be mercilessly attacked and hounded off Twitter.

Malyse

Fem!Trump would have been the most disastrous campaign of all time. You wanna talk about email hacks? Woo boy.

-----

I feel like I'm the only one who's really loving the Beauty and the Beast trailer.

Zaphrynn

Female Trump would never have gotten anywhere, and to think otherwise is ignorant on such a fundamental level I wouldn't even know where to begin correcting someone if they claimed otherwise.

Media

I'm trying, in that thread, but it's so goddamn frustrating...

It's frustrating as hell. It's easier, I think, to able to stick their fingers in their ears and shove the blame for Trump solely in Hillary's lap so they don't have to acknowledge that sexism is pervasive and still a real problem.

olympia

Along with the tampon tax thread, where people argued it shouldn't be eliminated because you only use one tampon a day.

lmao i just clicked on this thread to see whats new

and holy shit hahahah

how do people like this survive in the world

Platy

The tampoon thread reminds that once in the university group a dude posted that "only dirty woman menstruate" and stuff like "if only the dirty women donated the menstruation blood the world would be saved"

I was like HOLY SHIT how did you not failed the basic human anatomy/sex class ?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The tampoon thread reminds that once in the university group a dude posted that "only dirty woman menstruate" and stuff like "if only the dirty women donated the menstruation blood the world would be saved"

I was like HOLY SHIT how did you not failed the basic human anatomy/sex class ?
Wuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

Media

I think I give up. People would rather type essays on why sexism is irrelevant to this campaign than acknowledge it might have played a part. Like that guy asking for receipts. I dunno, the whole fucking campaign of Trump?

I'm so disillusioned right now with progressives.

suzu

It's just utterly ridiculous that people are dismissing sexism entirely. It had no effect at all? Like really, come the fuck on.

Zaphrynn

AWYEEE so I studied my ass off for my most recent Trig test because I got a 75% on my last one, and I got a 100% =D

Some good news for this otherwise shitty time

Maaaan and I had to leave that thread. Like ffs people. Nobody is fucking saying sexism is the only reason Hillary lost. Must have really thrown people for a loop when Media said she voted Bernie in the primaries, since they've decided it's rabid Hillary fans who are grasping onto "sexism".

v v v - Man, I want to be hopeful, but I think Trump just agrees with whatever the last person told him. Laughably, he commended China on loads of things after talking to their president. I'm gonna go with what John Oliver said, and remember that this shit is not normal and we need to question everything Trump does. Not that I'm saying you aren't, of course =3

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Oh man between Trump's statement on individual rights and the fact that he is basically studying under Obama, spending way more time together than most transitions, I am starting to get the feeling he might not be the worst thing ever. The fact that he is willing to admit that he doesn't know exactly what he is doing and to listen to Barack and spend time with him instead of dismissing him and listening to Republican cronies is kind of not awful.

Some of his cabinet choices are frightening if they come to fruition though.

Nudull

Banned
And we now have people trampling over themselves saying Gamergate, the alt-right and certain memes they created had nothing to do with the election. Eeeeyup.

Cat

And we now have people trampling over themselves saying Gamergate, the alt-right and certain memes they created had nothing to do with the election. Eeeeyup.

But they so obviously did, like all of these things come together. I think people think they aren't influenced when it's like, of course we are. We've always been. We affect each other all the time, for all of our history and our future too.

Nudull

Banned
But they so obviously did, like all of these things come together. I think people think they aren't influenced when it's like, of course we are. We've always been. We affect each other all the time, for all of our history and our future too.

No no no, it's those progressive leftists shoving that PC culture down everyone's throats. Something had to give, don't you know?

Ugggh.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Hi Morrigan, thanks. I haven't been to this thread in ages.

Smh. I have no doubt there are people who really think like that, and it's very harmful to a lot of us.

It is, but unfortunately it isn't without precedent. The PC culture of the 90s led to the rise of frat boy bullshit in the late 90s like Nu Metal and the Girls Gone Wild exploitation tapes.

Platy

I can understand people saying gamergate had nothing to do with it ... just because saying gamergate and alt right in the same sentence is a pleonasm

Media

Oh point with our current frustrations is the Onion, like usual:

Area Man Considers Self Ally To Women Unless They Threaten His Status In Literally Any Way

“We all have to do our part. When I see an injustice against a woman, I speak up about it [unless it might make me come across as weak in front of my male peers], and I will stand up for women’s progress each and every day [provided that, in the end, I still retain a level of gender-based privilege for the remainder of my life].”

Leeness

So...I'm studying right now to become a paralegal, and I'm taking criminal law this semester (in Canada, mind you). And I feel like discussing our "group discussion" topic right now with you guys because it's...relevant. And for the record, our teacher (a man) is super liberal and I'm guessing this topic right now is for most of his students (all women) to discuss and possibly look at this topic with a legal mind, but also to come at this with a passion, considering the climate right now.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/que...-on-her-past-after-sexual-assault-allegations

"Consider:

1. Why is it considered “newsworthy” for a victim’s history to be discussed in the media once she comes forward reporting a sexual assault?

2. What can be done about this? Who should act?"

I'd like to just discuss it because it's difficult to come at this rationally right now and I know what I want to talk about but it's hard for me to gather my thoughts. What do you think? I know why it's considered "newsworthy" ("she was asking for it, if she was a prostitute, why does she care", etc etc please kill me), so...what do we do about this? How do we even start to end victim blaming when it comes to sexual assault?

It's hard to even think about how to answer this when 60 million people just normalized "I grab them by the pussy, don't even ask, and they just let me do it" as totally okay "locker room talk". :/

Samara

So...I'm studying right now to become a paralegal, and I'm taking criminal law this semester (in Canada, mind you). And I feel like discussing our "group discussion" topic right now with you guys because it's...relevant. And for the record, our teacher (a man) is super liberal and I'm guessing this topic right now is for most of his students (all women) to discuss and possibly look at this topic with a legal mind, but also to come at this with a passion, considering the climate right now.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/que...-on-her-past-after-sexual-assault-allegations

"Consider:

1. Why is it considered “newsworthy” for a victim’s history to be discussed in the media once she comes forward reporting a sexual assault?

2. What can be done about this? Who should act?"

I'd like to just discuss it because it's difficult to come at this rationally right now and I know what I want to talk about but it's hard for me to gather my thoughts. What do you think? I know why it's considered "newsworthy" ("she was asking for it, if she was a prostitute, why does she care", etc etc please kill me), so...what do we do about this? How do we even start to end victim blaming when it comes to sexual assault?

It's hard to even think about how to answer this when 60 million people just normalized "I grab them by the pussy, don't even ask, and they just let me do it" as totally okay "locker room talk". :/

I remember a Law and order svu episode where a girl had agreed to sell herself but changed her mind. The man raped her because he had a ''contract''. Either you're pure or a whore.

I actually know someone who was raped and her neighbor raped her telling her that she had already been tru it so why does it bother her (as she begged him to stop) . Some view a woman having nsa sex or being ''easy'' as indicator as being available to all.

Top Bottom