• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Leeness

No bans here either. ._. I try not to rock the boat, though I know I'm really fucking annoying sometimes.

Come back soon Cindi, so I can tell you how wrong I was and Prompto truly is the best guy (other than Noct lol).

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
No bans here either. ._. I try not to rock the boat, though I know I'm really fucking annoying sometimes.

Come back soon Cindi, so I can tell you how wrong I was and Prompto truly is the best guy (other than Noct lol).
Brotherhood made me feel for Prompto. Poor little fat kid loved that doggo:(

Media

I've never been banned either, but I tend to not want to upset people >.< I get heated sometimes but I don't in general like, insult people or I try not to.

Misha

Banned
I once got a ban on another forum for saying the word "penis"

Never here tho. I try to never lose my temper since in an argument I feel that to be a loss.

besada

Banned
I see. I'm still not really sure how bans work tbh. If I see someone with a grey name and no avatar I assume that they might be gone for good.

In short, bans are cumulative, although length of time posting is considered. Basically only juniors and actual nazis get permed on their first ban. Most people get five to eight bans, depending on:

1) Frequency of bans (someone who got a ban two years ago and then another one today is different than someone who got a ban last week, came back and immediately got banned)
2) Severity (someone who's got multiple bans for losing their temper might bet more leeway than someone with multiple bans for being racist, for example. We all lose our tempers.)

You get up around your fifth or six ban in a two year period, and a perm is lurking around your corner. On the other hand, we have posters who have been here more than a decade, who've sort of consistently gotten one ban for something small each year.

The primary concerns are: Does the person get what they did wrong, are they going to modify their behavior, and do they generally post well. Perpetual shit posters, who provide little to the forum other than noise, tend to get less chances than people who have something to say.

Modbot tells us not only how many bans you'd had, but for what, under what circumstances, and when. So we can look at people's records, see how long they've been here, check and see if there's a pattern to the bans (there often is), and then go read their posting record if necessary. This is often also done in the context of multiple moderators discussing the issue in our super-secret chat lair.

I'm happy to answer any questions I can -- those that don't involve violating someone else's privacy -- via PM if you run into questions or concerns about a ban. But you can totally say penis if you want.

Media

We are all going to get penis.
I mean banned. Penis!
(And thank you Besada for the detailed ban summary, that's helpful in understanding :)

Platy

I enter in every kind of huge cemetery threads and was never banned once ... but I did received a pm from an admin a long time ago that was not very friendly xD

Penis

my last ban was because Besada thought my on-topic witticism wasn't, and because I was posting on mobile so when he deleted it I didn't realize he did, I just thought my mobile browser was acting up again so I reposted it :\

I don't get banned often though and I've been here forever

gaiages

Banned
I've flown off the handle a couple times and was very mean (imo) but I've never been banned, even when I thought it would happen. #Blessed? Or maybe I'm not as mean as I thought.

Also penis

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I've flown off the handle a couple times and was very mean (imo) but I've never been banned, even when I thought it would happen. #Blessed? Or maybe I'm not as mean as I thought.

Also penis

Could easily have just been missed. There's a lot of ground to cover around here.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I've been banned due to a comment on a thread on race, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't offensive. I asked besada to see if they could clarify it for me.

Media

A couple of mods watch THIS particular community thread so well that they remove posts that violate the OP well before I respond to them in some way that would get me banned.

So, clearly they are here to protect me from myself. Thanks mods!

Hahaha yesss.

Thanks for saving us from ourselves.

Aeana

I've read this thread off and on, and have advocated for it for years. I just don't post a lot mainly because I tend to overshare when things get personal and I have it bad enough with people trying to dig up whatever they can about me.

Media

I've read this thread off and on, and have advocated for it for years. I just don't post a lot mainly because I tend to overshare when things get personal and I have it bad enough with people trying to dig up whatever they can about me.
*hugs*

I can say that I feel you 100%. I hate not being open about who I am. I've always been the type to share, (how else are you going to make friends online without being authentic?) and it's definitely burned me. I hate hiding. Hell, I feel guilty if I even tell a small lie online, even if no one will know.

But I've learned the hard way. I wish it was different.

I feel like I should follow this rule more often but most of the time I'm just careless on the internet ;x

Media

I feel like I should follow this rule more often but most of the time I'm just careless on the internet ;x

Like I said, I've learned the hard way. Especially in gaming communities, women stand out and become targets. I refuse to even post pictures of myself anymore.

Misha

Banned
Like I said, I've learned the hard way. Especially in gaming communities, women stand out and become targets. I refuse to even post pictures of myself anymore.
Sorry to hear that :(

Personally I've only shown pics in PMs and haven't given anyone my name or job/university/etc name. I'm fairly free with non specific personal info tho. If I get into the jobs of work I'd prefer tho I'd lose that privacy. Hopefully I'll be able to handle it

I'm always so sorry for the girls online having to deal with constant internet filth... I can only imagine how exhausting that would be.

Question: have any of you girls been asked out, said no, and still remained friends with the guy?

Leeness

Sorry to hear that :(

Personally I've only shown pics in PMs and haven't given anyone my name or job/university/etc name. I'm fairly free with non specific personal info tho. If I get into the jobs of work I'd prefer tho I'd lose that privacy. Hopefully I'll be able to handle it

I've always never bothered with safety and it hasn't bit me yet... I think I'm just one of those people no one bothers with, so I don't care about posting pictures online. There's probably like 20 of me on GAF and I've never had a problem hahaha.

¯_(&#12484;)_/¯

Sibylus

Banned
Getting hit on by a random dude who added you on FB after he saw your post asking for resources for a friend whose life is in the danger... what the fuck. Thirst knows no bounds.

Yeah, same. Since I'm already publicly known through work, there didn't seem much point, but more caution probably wouldn't be a bad thing.

On other topics, anyone getting into DIY for Christmas? I'm really annoyed at the prices here, so I've been looting people's hedge trimmings to make stuff this year.

gaiages

Banned
I've been lucky in that I really haven't had to deal with any online harrassment due to gender, but at the same time I'm not overtly sharing said gender, though I'm sure it's fairly obvious to any of my post histories.

But I have gotten weirdos from time to time. Internet "friends" that would IM me or whatever asking weird shit. Not asking me out, but stuff about fetishes or sexual experiences or just weird shit. Like I acted "boyish" enough on the Internet so they think I'd wanna talk about that stuff like "one of the guys". Or a rare specimen.

It was weird.

I'm always so sorry for the girls online having to deal with constant internet filth... I can only imagine how exhausting that would be.

Question: have any of you girls been asked out, said no, and still remained friends with the guy?

Somewhat similar situation, was asked out by a guy, went on a couple dates, we ended up breaking it off. We remained friends... Or I tried to at least. I noticed he started acting weird towards me for months, and eventually he was like "I was worried you were going to make a move or something so I didn't want to hang out" (despite the fact that I never tried anywhere near that, though he sure as hell tried when he was drunk), so I was a little miffed with that and now we're not really friends anymore.

On the flip side, my bf asked his best friend out, got rejected, and they're still besties (and one of my good friends as well).

Short answer is, yes it's quite possible, but both parties have to comfortable with it.

Yeah, same. Since I'm already publicly known through work, there didn't seem much point, but more caution probably wouldn't be a bad thing.

On other topics, anyone getting into DIY for Christmas? I'm really annoyed at the prices here, so I've been looting people's hedge trimmings to make stuff this year.

I always wanna do DIY gifts, but I have trouble because my family lives far away, and honestly trying to ship anything that's not a cards is ridiculously priced. Also I don't know if it'll make it in one piece. Oh and I'm lazy lol.

besada

Banned

I made a bunch of ornaments out of Walnut, Ash, and Maple, but they are for sale rather than my own use.

Oh, now that I think of it, I am making some wall-hangings, and a couple of necklaces for my wife and spoons for my mom and mother in law. Why don't we have a crafts thread?

Top Bottom