• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Media

My papa does woodwork, I love getting presents from him. He has made me a lot of bowls, spoons, spatulas...all sorts of cooking utensils as well as art stuff. I love cooking with his stuff, much better than plastic.

Media

Hey ladies, which avatar looks better? The one I am currently wearing with transparancy or this one with a background?
TlgXtKV.png
I can't decide! And thank you SO MUCH YN for coloring it for me, it looks so epic

Sorithin

So my 54-year-old boss told me today we are going to do our Christmas party in Miami Beach this year (we are located in Cleveland). It's going to be him, me and 4 male coworkers 30+. They basically want to drink most of the time and go to the pool and beach. I can't decide if I should go or if that's just a little too weird. I'm only 25 so I feel like it'd be a little awkward but I'm getting mixed opinions from the family and BF. What do you ladies think?

So my 54-year-old boss told me today we are going to do our Christmas party in Miami Beach this year (we are located in Cleveland). It's going to be him, me and 4 male coworkers 30+. They basically want to drink most of the time and go to the pool and beach. I can't decide if I should go or if that's just a little too weird. I'm only 25 so I feel like it'd be a little awkward but I'm getting mixed opinions from the family and BF. What do you ladies think?

red-flag-hi.png

Some advice from a guy in his 40s: Run in the opposite fucking direction.

Media

Yeah. Bring your SO or don't go.

shiba5

This sounds very weird.

Grimalkin

Anytime there is going to be even a remote possibility of a hot tub and drunk coworkers, run the other way.

There was once a corporate office Christmas party where, at work on the Monday after the party, a male employee was bragging and showing other employees the up skirt/compromising photos he had taken of really drunk female employees at said party. HR did fucking nothing, as per usual.

I've never been to another holiday party.

Pau

Besides everything that's already been stated, damn, is it normal for companies to have their Christmas parties in other cities?

Sorithin

Besides everything that's already been stated, damn, is it normal for companies to have their Christmas parties in other cities?

I don't think it's too normal.. everyone I know just has their Christmas parties at their offices or some restaurant in the city. I was shocked when I found out we're going to FL because I'd never heard of anything like this.

Media

I don't think it's too normal.. everyone I know just has their Christmas parties at their offices or some restaurant in the city. I was shocked when I found out we're going to FL because I'd never heard of anything like this.

Yeah my husband has worked in the same industry of 15 years, different companies (like five maybe?) and every single one of them had a Christmas dinner party in the same town. I've never heard of people literally going on vacation for a holiday party, and the whole 'young woman with a bunch of older dudes' thing is tripping alarms in my head lol

Media

Was thinking about this sketchy trip and it made me sad that if you weren't a woman you wouldn't have even questioned it, and no one else would have either :(

Sometimes it sucks being a girl.

Are they paying for the flight down there? That sounds like a hell yeah if so.

Sorithin

Was thinking about this sketchy trip and it made me sad that if you weren't a woman you wouldn't have even questioned it, and no one else would have either :(

Sometimes it sucks being a girl.

Ugh right? When my boss announced it to everyone, the guys were like "yea!!" and I just stared at him and was like "uhh..."

:(

Zaphrynn

That trip sounds..... Uh yeah. Don't do it. It sucks you even have to deal with that.

And about woodcarving, omg I love tiny wood work (or miniscule anything. If something is portrayed smaller than its actual size, I want it).

And your work looks awesome, Besada. Thanks for sharing!

Media

Damn it. Accepted a friend's request on Facebook from someone I thought I knew, and they immediately message me "I was looking for someone and I was struck by your profile picture..." God damn it I'm to polite to tell him to fuck off until he starts creeping hard.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Damn it. Accepted a friend's request on Facebook from someone I thought I knew, and they immediately message me "I was looking for someone and I was struck by your profile picture..." God damn it I'm to polite to tell him to fuck off until he starts creeping hard.
Just delete 'em. Might even be a bot for all you know.

Kinsei

Banned

I agree with Morrigan delete and block him.

Media

By the way, I deleted and blocked creepy dude. I didn't feel guilty! Much.

Where did all you guys go, this thread was hopping for awhile now it's quiet again. How are you doing Mineshaft?

Zaphrynn

Man I love below-ankle socks, but hate when I get crappy ones that fall down as I walk. I wear Converse all the time so good ankle socks are a necessity

shiba5

I want to say something in that Super Mario Run gender thread on gaming side, but I don't want to get jumped on.
Like, how the damsel trope is really damaging. When I was little, I remember being sad that I was a girl because boys got to do all the cool stuff and had all the good toys. Girls were just something to be rescued or act as a prize.
I did have an Easy Bake Oven so I could bake my hero a cake when he came to rescue me.

Zaphrynn

I want to say something in that Super Mario Run gender thread on gaming side, but I don't want to get jumped on.
Like, how the damsel trope is really damaging. When I was little, I remember being sad that I was a girl because boys got to do all the cool stuff and had all the good toys. Girls were just something to be rescued or act as a prize.
I did have an Easy Bake Oven so I could bake my hero a cake when he came to rescue me.

Oh no!! That last part is really sad but also kind of hilarious because of the Easy Bake Oven. But really overall, that sucks.

I fell too much on the opposite end. I had two older brothers, and I actively avoided "girly" things. I didn't wear a skirt unless forced until I was a senior in high school. That was damaging because it instilled that girly = bad/weak. Like you said, girls need to be rescued and taken care of, guys get the action.

The nerd community played a big part in that ("you're not like OTHER girls" and everything else). And like come on, in the age where advertisers spend millions and billions on what will best motivate people to buy their products, you can't fucking tell me that videogames magically fall outside of that. You can't claim we are a consumerist society, but say all the bullshit that contributes to that doesn't have an effect.

And a lot of this boils down to another thing: men have a difficult time believing women. But they don't believe that so what's it going to take to change their minds? Though this isn't woman-only. If the people who fervently argue about whether something is REALLY racist fought half as hard against racism, we'd live in a much different world.

shiba5

Oh no!! That last part is really sad but also kind of hilarious because of the Easy Bake Oven. But really overall, that sucks.

I fell too much on the opposite end. I had two older brothers, and I actively avoided "girly" things. I didn't wear a skirt unless forced until I was a senior in high school. That was damaging because it instilled that girly = bad/weak. Like you said, girls need to be rescued and taken care of, guys get the action.

The nerd community played a big part in that ("you're not like OTHER girls" and everything else). And like come on, in the age where advertisers spend millions and billions on what will best motivate people to buy their products, you can't fucking tell me that videogames magically fall outside of that. You can't claim we are a consumerist society, but say all the bullshit that contributes to that doesn't have an effect.

And a lot of this boils down to another thing: men have a difficult time believing women. But they don't believe that so what's it going to take to change their minds? Though this isn't woman-only. If the people who fervently argue about whether something is REALLY racist fought half as hard against racism, we'd live in a much different world.

I had a dad who taught me how to gut a fish and other "manly" things like building a TV from a kit. I refused to wear dresses because, like you said, girlie stuff was weak and uncool. But guys never accepted me either because "girls don't like geeky stuff". I never belonged and was a depressed loner. (Thankfully I had horses or I probably would have killed myself.)
Even now, I rage a bit when some on this forum generalize about what games girls like - and then ignore all the women on the forum telling them otherwise.

shiba5

A sad thing about marketing is that I felt like I needed toys for things I didn't need toys for. I really wanted an Easy Bake Oven because Iwanted to make muffins like the commercial showed. But I didn't need one, because my mother taught us kids to cook and I had free rein with the real oven. I frequently made cookies with minimal supervision. The muffin pan was right there in the cupboard, and the recipe book had instructions for using it. It still took me years to move on from cookie baking to fancy baking.

You weren't missing out on much. The Easy Bake Oven food was... not good. Making my parents eat it was some schadenfreude.

that whole mario gender thread is garbo

a pair of parents making decisions for their child happens all the time. and most of the time these decisions will not agree with your* decisions (*general you)

i mean, my mom tried to convince me of an imaginary savior person who was a happy hippy

doesnt make her a bad parent

so what, this particular parents dont wanna let their child play mario bros for whatever reasons. i never played mario myself. it isn't like missing out on some crucial human experience or anything. geeeeez.

GAF showing so much judgements against this parents' decision just because it involves a beloved vidya game title :3

Top Bottom