• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Kazerei

Banned
I'm one of those people who sells/trades games when I'm finished, so I haven't built up a library. These are the only Vita games I have right now, but I've owned and played Disgaea 3, Gravity Rush, Lumines, MGS HD Collection, Rayman Origins, Uncharted, Unit 13, Virtua Tennis 4 and Virtue's Last Reward as well.

TZwyr.jpg

mollipen

I'm happy that GirlGAF is all up on the Vita love! The Vita thread is always so bro-tastic. But, uh, I guess that basically just describes Gaming side most of the time anyway.

Yup. Not that the folks in that thread aren't all great people, but I cringe every time the Vita-owning populace are called "Vitabros", and it's expected that that is what everyone is.

Emitan

Vita is obviously only owned by males because there isn't a Hannah Montana one yet.

UU2hF.jpg

I actually really love this color of PSP

Yup. Not that the folks in that thread aren't all great people, but I cringe every time the Vita-owning populace are called "Vitabros", and it's expected that that is what everyone is.

It's even more awkward when it's like half the people who bought a Vita are in this thread!

In other news: The Hobbit tomorrow! Who gonna watch it/has already watched it?

Emitan

I have a Persona 4 avatar I want to use but I recently put in a request to change my username (to Emitan) so I don't want to change my avatar and confuse people.

A.E Suggs

You kinda have to be a vita someone to own a vita imo. This system to me is almost considered a waste of money and I almost feel like a fool for wanting one. I wanted it for gravity rush, but I ended up wanting p4u and ACIII on vita as well.

It's even more awkward when it's like half the people who bought a Vita are in this thread!

I may take my kids to see it, not that interested in it myself. I want to see reck it ralph!

mollipen

You kinda have to be a vita someone to own a vita imo. This system to me is almost considered a waste of money and I almost feel like a fool for wanting one. I wanted it for gravity rush, but I ended up wanting p4u and ACIII on vita as well.

Sorry to hear that. I'm the exact opposite—I'm in love with my Vita, can't stop playing it, and wish the console games that I want to play also had Vita versions. But, I was also huge into the PSP as well, and I know that was a system that wasn't interesting at all unless you fit into a very specific niche.

I love handhelds more so than consoles, though I have and play all the consoles too. I love my 3ds and vita , couldn't really recommend them to anyone at this point though.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
First episode of TNG has a brief scene with a guy in a dress.

Sadly, that's the only time we see any guys in dresses. I hope we really aren't so strict with gendered clothing in the future.

Kimaka

I started watching the first episode (not the pilot) of Star Trek: The Original Series. So much sexism, ugh.

The constant referring to women as girls was aggravating.

First episode of TNG has a brief scene with a guy in a dress.

Sadly, that's the only time we see any guys in dresses. I hope we really aren't so strict with gendered clothing in the future.

Picard and Riker do appear in the dress uniform in one episode although their legs weren't bare.

I love the show but you have to view it knowing that it's an old show and it's obviously going to be sexist.
That kind of goes out the window when you are depicting the (far) future. I'm more forgiving for works that have contemporary or historical settings. It doesn't help that the writing is crap. Hoping the next episode is better.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
"The future" is relative to the time and culture that depicts it. So much of it is pretty much "like now, but with aliens/robots/too much silver and/or shiny white plastic (oh wait, that came true.)"

It's one reason I prefer painting fantasy art to sci-fi stuff. It's less prone to being dated.

edit: For good, well-written, sci-fi that explores gender and race issues read Ursula K. Le Guin and thank me later.

Vita time~
Niiiiiiice!

I'm one of those people who sells/trades games when I'm finished, so I haven't built up a library. These are the only Vita games I have right now, but I've owned and played Disgaea 3, Gravity Rush, Lumines, MGS HD Collection, Rayman Origins, Uncharted, Unit 13, Virtua Tennis 4 and Virtue's Last Reward as well.
Your BLOPS: Declassified OT was amazing.

Yeah, I tried to gently push back at that attitude once and basically got "pics or it didn't happen" in response. It's not a huge deal, but it's annoying and tiresome. Shame too cause it seems like a healthy chunk of the women who are active on Gaming side do own Vitas.

When my black 2000's UMD drive stopped working a year or two ago, I wanted to replace it with a purple PSP but I couldn't find the Hanna Montana bundle anywhere. D-: That bundle was such a priceless example of how clueless Sony has been at reaching out new demographics compared to Nintendo though, heh.

Sorry to hear that. I'm the exact opposite—I'm in love with my Vita, can't stop playing it, and wish the console games that I want to play also had Vita versions. But, I was also huge into the PSP as well, and I know that was a system that wasn't interesting at all unless you fit into a very specific niche.
The PSP and the Vita are really just perfect systems for a certain demographic and I love the hell out of them as well. Too bad a ton of great PSP stuff will never be localized and Vita sales are atrocious. Renting of garments and gnashing of teeth. :-(

You can start saving money after you've splurged a bit. That's how its supposed to go :p

Vita is obviously only owned by males because there isn't a Hannah Montana one yet.

It is a rather nice colour. Too bad its probably got Hannah Montana written on the back.

We don't get it (or wreck it ralph) until after Christmas. I am mega pissed.
Thanks! I'm all married now and it was awesome!

Congratulations :D

Waiting til Xmas. My aunt really wants to the whole family to see it together (LOTR and the extended editions were a holiday tradition a while back) and no matter how good it is, I don't think I have the fortitude to see the same three-hour movie twice w/in a two week span.

I started watching the first episode (not the pilot) of Star Trek: The Original Series. So much sexism, ugh.
TOS sometimes feels like the bane of my existence. I think I would like Star Trek and I would like to get into it, but I have this thing were I just cannot start something in the middle, I have to start with the beginning of the canon or it will just drive me nuts. So, no TNG, or DS9 or anything until I seen TOS first...and the first few episodes of that were so...dull that I haven't been able to rouse myself to watch anymore. It would be easier if they weren't so long too. >_<

Also, Femmeworth, wait til you get to "Mudd's Women." It's gonna be great. And by great, I mean no.

That's money I should be saving for hormones and clothes and wigs :(
:-( :-( :-(

Also, why the name change? "Billiechu" was one of the first names I started to recognize when I was lurking GAF.

TOS sometimes feels like the bane of my existence. I think I would like Star Trek and I would like to get into it, but I have this thing were I just cannot start something in the middle, I have to start with the beginning of the canon or it will just drive me nuts. So, no TNG, or DS9 or anything until I seen TOS first...and the first few episodes of that were so...dull that I haven't been able to rouse myself to watch anymore. It would be easier if they weren't so long too. >_<

Also, Femmeworth, wait til you get to "Mudd's Women." It's gonna be great. And by great, I mean no.
I'm the same way.
"The future" is relative to the time and culture that depicts it. So much of it is pretty much "like now, but with aliens/robots/too much silver and/or shiny white plastic (oh wait, that came true.)"

It's one reason I prefer painting fantasy art to sci-fi stuff. It's less prone to being dated.

edit: For good, well-written, sci-fi that explores gender and race issues read Ursula K. Le Guin and thank me later.
I've heard good things about her.

iirate

Waiting til Xmas. My aunt really wants to the whole family to see it together (LOTR and the extended editions were a holiday tradition a while back) and no matter how good it is, I don't think I have the fortitude to see the same three-hour movie twice w/in a two week span.

:-( :-( :-(

Also, why the name change? "Billiechu" was one of the first names I started to recognize when I was lurking GAF.

I feel like I'll never watch Star Trek or Dr. Who and this is why.

Also, I don't have a Vita but I did just get a 3DS! Funnily enough, I'm more excited for the 3DS VC than most of the system's releases so far(<3 the Game Boy).

I feel like I'll never watch Star Trek or Dr. Who and this is why.

Also, I don't have a Vita but I did just get a 3DS! Funnily enough, I'm more excited for the 3DS VC than most of the system's releases so far(<3 the Game Boy).
Doctor Who was more or less rebooted in 2005, at least that is what I tell myself. >_>

A.E Suggs

Don't worry, you'll see the light by next year when you see the vita line up of games..wait you don't see it you say? Don't worry I don't see it either XD.

That's why a lot of people aren't into comics,well superhero one's anyway. Unless I can start from the beginning I don't bother, which I can't really do anymore as I rarely have the time so I don't even watch much regular tv(I don't even know why I still even pay for cable). Its either video games or tv shows and given the little time I have at the moment I choose gaming.

It'll be great don't listen to her. She likes the green ranger what does she know.

Kisaya

I'm happy that GirlGAF is all up on the Vita love! The Vita thread is always so bro-tastic. But, uh, I guess that basically just describes Gaming side most of the time anyway.

Most of what I play is all handheld, literally almost all my games are DS and PSP games. I'm excited to finally have a Vita and hopefully a 3DS soon ;3

Emitan

I so can't wait for Fire Emblem: Awakening and Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Portable gaming~

I wish I actually could use my handhelds out of the house but I only leave for work, shopping, and therapy.

Kisaya

I so can't wait for Fire Emblem: Awakening and Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Portable gaming~

I wish I actually could use my handhelds out of the house but I only leave for work, shopping, and therapy.

Nah, playing handhelds at home is the best. The outside world is too distracting >_>

A.E Suggs

You like pandering shit, I certainly can't trust you.

lol Touche, even though your definition of pandering seems to be anything with skin showing while wearing clothes, or just anything feminine really :/.

But yeah you got me I like pandering but we all do in some way and i'm sure you do as well, I see nothing to be ashamed of.

I can't wait for FE either, 6 playthroughs at the least confirmed ^_^. I can play my handheld at work and since I there's always about 3 hours of me doing nothing I gets time in playing pokemon white 2.

Someone sell me on Animal crossing, there's got to be a reason people are still playing it.

SmokyDave

I'm right there with ya.

Glad to see y'all getting on board, regardless.

Platy

I was not gonna watch in the first day (the first session was at 23:50 !!) but a friend had to give up because she worked insanely early in the next day and ... I SAW IT and it is amazing ! =D

The 48fps gives a hole new "OMFG BEAUTIFUL LED TV SCREENSAVER" feel to the daytime scenes that it is awesome !

It is so much more cute and magical than the other movies that it almost sound like a very good Harry Potter movie in some parts

edit : And I expected more hairy dwarf women =P

JeTmAn81

Can't ladies be "bros" too? I don't interpret that phrase as really being that gender-centric, more implying a close relationship between people who are actually into the Vita since there are so few of us. I'm sorry if you find it offensive.

Can't ladies be "bros" too? I don't interpret that phrase as really being that gender-centric, more implying a close relationship between people who are actually into the Vita since there are so few of us. I'm sorry if you find it offensive.

Not really offensive, just cringeworthy , partly because a good few women (and men) don't like or identify with the term "bro" to begin with , let alone seeing it self-ascribed(which is another cringeworthy factor) as a term for a group of fans. Also it's indicative of other aspects of the current Vita fan culture that I hope mellows out and/or goes away in time.

Platy

Would you cringe if you got called a Vitasis ? =3

Sometimes I forget 3DS has a virtual console.

*shakes fist at NoA*
Seriously. Compared to the Wii Virtual Console's first year and a half, the 3DS has been pretty pathetic. At least we finally have Ninja Gaiden, but Nintendo certainly jerked everyone about w/that as well.

Doctor Who was more or less rebooted in 2005, at least that is what I tell myself. >_>
Yeah, this is one case where I've made an exception. I told myself that I didn't have to start at the beginning because it was literally impossible to watch all the early stuff since lots of the early episodes don't exist anymore. I really do wish I had the context of Doctors 1-8 though, I think I'd appreciate the reboot a lot more then.

Fffffff yes, never played a Fire Emblem before but I cannot wait for this.

Been doing that every night for the last month. Bed + Harvest Moon.
Bed + Vita + headphones is the besssssssst!

It's not really offensive so much as it is alienating. I'm sure that some people do use "bro" in a gender neutral way the way "guys" is frequently used, but that doesn't actually make it a gender neutral term. It's still derivative of a word used to describe a close, familial male relationship and is still primarily used exclusively amongst males (and/or people mocking said males).

JeTmAn81

Would you cringe if you got called a Vitasis ? =3

Yeah, admittedly I probably would, but if it was a widely-used term referring to a group of people who are probably 90%+ female, it would make sense to me. Kind of like what men working in the nursing profession probably experience.

Platy

Yeah, admittedly I probably would, but if it was a widely-used term referring to a group of people who are probably 90%+ female, it would make sense to me. Kind of like what men working in the nursing profession probably experience.

Considering the amount of people with a vita in this thread
and the abysmall vita sales worldwide
I would guess that Vita owners are FAR from 90%+ Male group xD

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I hate it when women refer to their female friends as bros, makes me cringe so much. I can be a bit of a tomboy but being a tomboy doesn't mean you gotta act like a dudebro. :p

A.E Suggs

Vitaritas? The vita love in this thread is astounding to say the least. If they give me the tales games on the system then maybe I can love it.

I hate it when women refer to their female friends as bros, makes me cringe so much. I can be a bit of a tomboy but being a tomboy doesn't mean you gotta act like a dudebro. :p

I'm trying to think of a situation where that has happened. Least I can't recall ever hearing that around any of the places I've ever been.

Feminist movements fighting for equality even in the small things like the rights for a woman to be hairy if she chooses to.
Um don't they have that right? I mean the only time I really don't see them having that right is when man don't have that right. Like most jobs require man to be shaved and have a hair cut. I think this is just more so that the look isn't attractive and hardly no one wants to look like that man or woman. You could know something I don't about this situation though.

Platy

1reasonwhy to call for a better work conditions for women to work in a male dominated place.

See Jane is a movement to give equal distribution to an equaly proportional demographic on tv shows

Feminist movements fighting for equality even in the small things like the rights for a woman to be hairy if she chooses to.

Anna Anthropy is a lesbian trans woman who works as a programmer for games based on a female perspective of BDSM

Aaaaaaaaand "Bronies are challenging our perception of gender roles, which may be more fluid than previously thought!"

¬¬

Top Bottom