• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Yeah, admittedly I probably would, but if it was a widely-used term referring to a group of people who are probably 90%+ female, it would make sense to me. Kind of like what men working in the nursing profession probably experience.
Let's pretend for a moment that this statistic is accurate. If 90% of the Vita population is male, then Sony has done a horrific job of marketing and selling their system to a broad audience (hey, we don't even have to pretend that that's true!). I think most every Vita owner who loves their Vita would like this not to be the case. The more the Vita sells, the more games for the system we'll see. The greater gender parity in sales, the more audiences this system is reaching. If 90% of your audience is exclusively one gender, that is generally not a good thing when your product is not intended to be gender-specific. So why then go out of ones way to remind a demographic that's not buying the Vita that it's not for them? Why reinforce the idea that the Vita is for guys and not gals? That's not the sort of thing you want to double down on, that's the sort of thinking that fans and marketing departments should reject.

JeTmAn81

Let's pretend for a moment that this statistic is accurate. If 90% of the Vita population is male, then Sony has done a horrific job of marketing and selling their system to a broad audience (hey, we don't even have to pretend that that's true!). I think most every Vita owner who loves their Vita would like this not to be the case. The more the Vita sells, the more games for the system we'll see. The greater gender parity in sales, the more audiences this system is reaching. If 90% of your audience is exclusively one gender, that is generally not a good thing when your product is not intended to be gender-specific. So why then go out of ones way to remind a demographic that's not buying the Vita that it's not for them? Why reinforce the idea that the Vita is for guys and not gals? That's not the sort of thing you want to double down on, that's the sort of thinking that fans and marketing departments should reject.

I want to make it clear that that 90% figure was pulled out my anal cavity. Who knows if that's actually the split, it's just the impression that I get. The Vita is a system that seems to be for hardcore gamers who want amazing graphics in a handheld, and that group seems to be mostly male. However, I don't think Sony is the one trying to push that image, though perhaps they haven't done a good job producing software that has broader appeal. Well, they can't even achieve a lot of appeal with those hardcore males, much less the greater audience. Anyway, I wasn't under the impression that "Vitabros" was anything other than something people on GAF started saying.

Yea, I'm pretty sure it's just a GAF thing and I will say personally my issue with "bro" and therefore "vitabro" isnt just the gender exclusionary nature it can have, but that when I think "bro" I think Frat-boy/Typical College-age boy /teenage boy which are images I'd actually *prefer* to be excluded from (no offense to those groups :p).

mollipen

Can't ladies be "bros" too? I don't interpret that phrase as really being that gender-centric, more implying a close relationship between people who are actually into the Vita since there are so few of us. I'm sorry if you find it offensive.

I don't find it offensive at all, so please don't misunderstand. It's just, for right or wrong, my mind cannot separate "bro" from a certain mental image—one that is heavily male and, well, bro. I am not a "bro", and dammit, I don't want to be! *heh*

And I think—purposefully or not—when a term like that is tossed around, it does to some degree create a feeling of gendering the group. There's never a shortage of examples of how women have trouble fitting into the gaming community, and if a female goes into a thread and sees "Vitabros" being tossed around and is called a "Vitabro", I absolutely think it can create a barrier for them mentally. Will some female gamers not care? Absolutely—but some also will.

Again, I don't at all think any of the members of NeoGAF's Vita threads want to in any way make Vita-owning females feel uncomfortable. I just think it's a case of a term being used by a majority who don't even think twice about it, but one which those in the minority might pay attention to.

Would you cringe if you got called a Vitasis ? =3

I prefer "Vitaprincess". *laughs*

Vitaritas? The vita love in this thread is astounding to say the least. If they give me the tales games on the system then maybe I can love it.

...but, okay, "Vitaritas" also makes me laugh.

Platy

Um don't they have that right? I mean the only time I really don't see them having that right is when man don't have that right. Like most jobs require man to be shaved and have a hair cut. I think this is just more so that the look isn't attractive and hardly no one wants to look like that man or woman. You could know something I don't about this situation though.

This is more the side i'm talking about.

There are SOME JOBS that has expectations of a shaved men.
There are a considerable amount of people who like hairy men.
I think the only "job" that expects a shaved leg is professional swimming

EVERY SINGLE PLACE IN HUMAN SOCIETY has an expectation of a women who shave her legs and armpits (and other places)

Emitan

Fffffff yes, never played a Fire Emblem before but I cannot wait for this.

Play this one!

j6vLg.jpg

Also why is The Last Story sold out everywhere? *pokes H.Pro* Fix it!

Emitan

You should have bought it when it was 8 dollars...uh...i mean when it was full priced...you should have preordered it! yea!

Pfft. I have contributed enough to the XSeed coffers. I asked for the game for Christmas and my mom says she can't find it on Gamestop.com or Amazon ;~;

Pfft. I have contributed enough to the XSeed coffers. I asked for the game for Christmas and my mom says she can't find it on Gamestop.com or Amazon ;~;
You might be out of luck unless they do another print. Newegg had it for $40 not too long ago, but it must have sold out too.

I want to make it clear that that 90% figure was pulled out my anal cavity. Who knows if that's actually the split, it's just the impression that I get. The Vita is a system that seems to be for hardcore gamers who want amazing graphics in a handheld, and that group seems to be mostly male. However, I don't think Sony is the one trying to push that image, though perhaps they haven't done a good job producing software that has broader appeal. Well, they can't even achieve a lot of appeal with those hardcore males, much less the greater audience. Anyway, I wasn't under the impression that "Vitabros" was anything other than something people on GAF started saying.
Yeah, I know it was a made up number. My point was just that when there is an unintended and large gender disparity for something that is ostensibly gender neutral, it's a discrepancy that we should push back against and reject, not embrace.

I don't find it offensive at all, so please don't misunderstand. It's just, for right or wrong, my mind cannot separate "bro" from a certain mental image—one that is heavily male and, well, bro. I am not a "bro", and dammit, I don't want to be! *heh*

And I think—purposefully or not—when a term like that is tossed around, it does to some degree create a feeling of gendering the group. There's never a shortage of examples of how women have trouble fitting into the gaming community, and if a female goes into a thread and sees "Vitabros" being tossed around and is called a "Vitabro", I absolutely think it can create a barrier for them mentally. Will some female gamers not care? Absolutely—but some also will.

Again, I don't at all think any of the members of NeoGAF's Vita threads want to in any way make Vita-owning females feel uncomfortable. I just think it's a case of a term being used by a majority who don't even think twice about it, but one which those in the minority might pay attention to.
Or, er, exactly what shidoshi said. :p

Oh god, that's even worse.

On another note, had my wisdom teeth extracted today. Feeling better than I thought I would, but still on the bleh side.
Oh geez. I've been putting off getting my wisdom teeth removed for years now. Something to look forward to...

Um don't they have that right? I mean the only time I really don't see them having that right is when man don't have that right. Like most jobs require man to be shaved and have a hair cut. I think this is just more so that the look isn't attractive and hardly no one wants to look like that man or woman. You could know something I don't about this situation though.
LOL treating men's facial hair as the equivalent to women's leg hair. You know, uh, men have hair on their legs too, right. Well at least you admit that you don't know what you're talking about.

Track down Path of Radiance. *looks at prices online* Never mind. >_>

Play this one!
I think I could borrow Path of Radiance (that's the GCN one, right?) from my brother if I wanted to, but Fire Emblem is just one of those series that I'd always like to try but never got around to because my JRPG backlog is too big. I have the one that was part of the 3DS Ambassador program, worth playing?

Oh, and isn't The Last Story in the process of getting reprint (w/o the case+artbook though)?

Emitan

Sacred Stones is okay. I think Blazing Sword (the one I linked) is much, much better but SS is a good entry point to the series and Awakening shares some design issues with it.

Ezalc

Best localized FE so far is Path of Radiance. Best FE is Genealogy of the Holy War. Play the games, they are awesome!

Saw it earlier today. Loved it. The theater was so LOOOOUD though. Jesus!!!

I was surprised to find that my secret crush on Martin Freeman was unaffected by his short stature and furry feet in this movie. <3 Just google image searched him though. He's looking kind of old. :(

A.E Suggs

...but, okay, "Vitaritas" also makes me laugh.
You can also go with bro-et (devo's word in the making) to sub for bro. I've gotten one person to use in real life and its only a matter of time now until it spreads :p.

LOL treating men's facial hair as the equivalent to women's leg hair. You know, uh, men have hair on their legs too, right. Well at least you admit that you don't know what you're talking about.
I used it as an example yes, and I was using it as an example on the job. I was well aware of the leg problem (and the other hair area problems) upon saying that thank you very much :). But yes I'll admit to a little ignorance of the subject and that's kinda why I confronted her on it.

Omg I loved The Hobbit so fucking muuuch.
My kids wanna see it in 3d but the showing of it in 3d tonight is done. Even reck-it-ralph is booked for the night oh well maybe tommorow night. Hopefully I can pursuade them that reck-it-ralph is better.

Leeness

Omggggggg I loved it.

3D HFR was really interesting. Some of it looked amazing and some looked a little off, but it's the first of its kind, so growing pains and all. I think when others start to tinker with it more, it's gonna be insane.

Play this one!

j6vLg.jpg

Only Amazon and Walmart Canada have it (Standard Ed.). Demand that your GS have it too and maybe they'll order some. ;_;

You should have bought it when it was 8 dollars...uh...i mean when it was full priced...you should have preordered it! yea!

Hmmm... safe. Barely.

Yes you have. Thanks as always for the support, BC. Seriously. Amazon does have it, though. Linkie

Omg I loved The Hobbit so fucking muuuch.

I REALLY want to see it. I heard rumblings of it being too slick with the film (too video game-like...?), but I won't let anything taint my enjoyment of a movie I've been waiting ages for. Can't wait. Just a few more days. :D

suzu

I definitely want to see The Hobbit, but I'm going to wait for the crowds to die down a little.

That is, if I can hold out. lol

iirate

I definitely want to see The Hobbit, but I'm going to wait for the crowds to die down a little.

That is, if I can hold out. lol

I wasn't hyped for The Hobbit, until it actually came out. I want to go so badly right now!

Then Django Unchained AND Les Misérables later this month? Best holiday movie lineup ever.

Leeness

Personally, I think it looked fantastic.

Oh definitely. Just bits and pieces here and there that looked a bit off. And I am completely forgiving of it because it is the ~first of its kind~.

The two people I was with didn't think it was "bad", but said it really distracted them.

But then again, they hate hi-def lol

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I can't see 3D at all, so the 3D fad has kind of washed over me. It would only affect me if all movies and games only had 3D versions. I own a 3DS, but fortunately I can turn that off. :eek:

Platy

I'm completly immune to anything bad 3d has to offer.

I played StarFox on 3DS with gyro controls AND 3D on max and had no problem

I can't see 3D at all, so the 3D fad has kind of washed over me. It would only affect me if all movies and games only had 3D versions. I own a 3DS, but fortunately I can turn that off. :eek:

You would need to buy something like this

iirate

I'm completly immune to anything bad 3d has to offer.

I played StarFox on 3DS with gyro controls AND 3D on max and had no problem

You would need to buy something like this

Whoa, how did you manage? I don't get any headaches or anything, but the viewing angle on my 3DS seems so small, if my hands or head move much at all(as they tend to when I'm playing MK7 ^^; ) I lose the 3D effect and the whole screen blurs.

Platy

Not moving insanely and with head following ?

Never felt like the viewing angle was low ....

On a offtopic note ... I need the help of someone and girlgaf shall be it.
Monday is Megaman 25 anniversary ... and I need some opinions ...

I went with the cosplay idea with

0WIsq.png

But capcom loves some 8bit megaman ... so I was thinking .. how about

xpyad.png
or
GFMdv.png

?

mollipen

I really like the first—the one that fits in with the style of your current avatar.

Did you make that, by the way? Are you a sprite artist?

Platy

I really like the first—the one that fits in with the style of your current avatar.

Did you make that, by the way? Are you a sprite artist?

Yes ... and well ... I like to play with pixel art and stuffs like that ... but we are in a forum with people like those :

Holy shit, you guys! I just got approved to talk about pixelart animation at GDC 2013, Main Conference. I am freaking out. Any of you gonna be there? :)

So ... no, i'm not a sprite artist xD

iirate

Not moving insanely and with head following ?

I don't know, any movement my hands or head are making are subtle(to help with this, I've even been playing lying down, with my hands resting on a flat surface), but even minor motions are blurring the hell out of my screen. I've tried a bunch of different 3D levels, too. I actually really love the 3D effect so far, but this has been frustrating.

Top Bottom