• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Platy

Late Congrats !

Beautiful stuff !
That a LOT of dedication to do something that references
someone who was always just a friend and someone who dies early
xD

Ugh. Sorry. I've never gotten one of those yet (fingers crossed), but my sister does all the time and I know they suck royally. Hope it clears up quickly for you!

I credit beer for my strong constitution, so my suggestion is to treat yourself to some suds.

Awww, you just missed me. I knew you were in Aus, but you're in Adelaide?

I was there for Christmas to meet my (now) fiance's parents. Had a great time eating around, going to a cricket game, wine tasting, etc. Lovely home you've got there. :)

Congrats! Gorgeous ring, sounds like an incredible proposal. I'm not a fan of games of thones, so I can't appreciate the ring on that aspect, but it's absolutely wonderful that he was able to make something personalized just for you, and to work on it for months? He's a keeper. Beautiful.

Platy

BBqEy.jpg

q4Bg1.jpg

N2d8G.jpg

SLngH.jpg

rUcJq.gif

....what do you mean I need to have a reason for this ?

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
:eek: Omg, CONGRATS, HP!!! :D Don't get what the eggs and the symbols are for but what he did for you was amazing and very creative! Is your guy Australian? They've got the most sexiest accent ever. Aussies and British, my guy is British and I freakin' love his accent!

Um...no. I was playing off the tradition of the girl changing her last name after she's married. Therefore: H.Protagonist -> H.Antagonist.

Not every girl does that, though. :D

Oh, was it a Game of Thrones reference? *hasn't read the books or watched the show*

Same here, I doubt I would either because the show is a bit too sexist for my liking, that's why I didn't get the refrences and what the egg was for, but it still sounds amazingly awesome! :D

Platy

Same here, I doubt I would either because the show is a bit too sexist for my liking, that's why I didn't get the refrences and what the egg was for, but it still sounds amazingly awesome! :D

Sorry, but i'm not sure if this is what you want to say ....

The show is set in sexist times and it has sexist characters .. but the show is VERY FAR from being sexist, SPECIALY if you take the books into mind

The show is set in sexist times and it has sexist characters .. but the show is VERY FAR from being sexist, SPECIALY if you take the books into mind

Yeah. It's a pretty shitty world and bad things happen to just about everybody anyways.

Fucking love both the show and the books.

They really are keepsakes. He said he's making a mini-chest for them next! Yay!
Damn. Pics when he's done!

If your future husband is an Aussie and you've been doing long distance all this time, where are you two gonna live after the nuptials?

Ehh, I don't think it's that black and white, really. ASOIAF is a lot more progressive and egalitarian in its portrayal of women than the vast majority of mainstream fantasy, and I genuinely think GRRM is trying to subvert a lot of the sexism that is so common, if not inherent, to the genre - but that doesn't mean that the books, or the show, don't still regurgitate sexist garbage at times. While I personally love ASOIAF, I don't blame anyone who stays away from it because of how the narrative treats women. It could be better. Take the show's portrayal of prostitutes, for example. There's nuance there, for sure, but the excessive sexploitation is really unnecessary and isn't even a faithful representation of the books.

mollipen

Thanks, guys. ^_^ It was the nerdiest proposal ever. He hand carved dragon eggs a la Game of Thrones for three months and had "my sun and stars" engraved on the inner band of the ring. <3

Love seeing real effort put in, especially for something so special and meaningful. Things like this show that it really is the thought that counts, not the money that's spent. The ring could be $20, and it'd still have far more value than a $20,000 ring purchased with little concern put into the purchase.

Really awesome, even if the Game of Thrones references are totally lost on me. *heh* Congratulations!

Damn. Pics when he's done!

If your future husband is an Aussie and you've been doing long distance all this time, where are you two gonna live after the nuptials?

Ehh, I don't think it's that black and white, really. ASOIAF is a lot more progressive and egalitarian in its portrayal of women than the vast majority of mainstream fantasy, and I genuinely think GRRM is trying to subvert a lot of the sexism that is so common, if not inherent, to the genre - but that doesn't mean that the books, or the show, don't still regurgitate sexist garbage at times. While I personally love ASOIAF, I don't blame anyone who stays away from it because of how the narrative treats women. It could be better. Take the show's portrayal of prostitutes, for example. There's nuance there, for sure, but the excessive sexploitation is really unnecessary and isn't even a faithful representation of the books.

The sexploitation isn't that bad as most make it out to be. Especially in Season 2.

Platy

Yay stripes ! =D

I love sweaters and Turtlenecks ... but I live in the MIDDLE OF A TROPICAL JUNGLE and it is never cold in this damn country ><

UNIQLO had a few turtle neck dresses last time I visited :eek:

Didn't see one of those. I went to several places too. Seems like it's harder than fuck to find different styles. I got closest at a store that was more for clubbing gals (you know what I mean) and that bothered me. Used to be that you could visit different stores for different styles. Now everyone carries the same shit.

I mostly just do second hand stores and goodwill. That's where the stuff came from. Jacket was Buffalo Exchange, sweater was Crossroads.

Kisaya

She doesn't live in NYC, silly. Though there is a store in San Fran, apparently.

They need to open more UNIQLO stores :/ I think they just opened a huge one in NJ :X I'm not the biggest fan of their clothes but they have a few gems.

Speaking of clothes, I recently bought this skirt in black from F21, can't wait to rock it. Kinda wish I bought the XS but I think I could still pull it off with a nice belt :p

They need to open more UNIQLO stores :/ I think they just opened a huge one in NJ :X I'm not the biggest fan of their clothes but they have a few gems.

Speaking of clothes, I recently bought this skirt in black from F21, can't wait to rock it. Kinda wish I bought the XS but I think I could still pull it off with a nice belt :p

I'm not a big fan of their clothes, at least not the women's section. Gotten a few things for my boyfriend though. I actually prefer men's clothes in general. Wish I could pull off that look :(

I'm so picky I'm used to finding only one thing or nothing at a store. My best finds are at second hand places and when I'm not particularly looking for something so I always keep an open mind and look for stuff in my size in every section.

And I live in the Barossa! D: At least there's plenty of alcohol around to console me

<insert endless cry of loss>

Well wishes on your upcoming marriage, H.Protagonist. One of my best friends is getting married in October.

Will you be changing your name to H.Antagonist now?

Thank you! Congrats to your friend as well. Weddings sure do seem daunting, though.

And, I got your joke! :D

OH MY GOSH. THAT IS AWESOME. CONGRATS!!!
...But doesn't that mean in order for you to ascend as Queen and Mother of Dragons, he has to eventually suffer some kind of demise? O___O I always worry about symbolism like that. lol

^_^ Thanks! I was a bit surprised (not that I didn't think we were headed there, but it just came sooner than I thought). I also hadn't thought of the symbolism if it goes parallel to the books... Hmmm... Drogo wasn't the one who actually gave her the eggs, though, right? That means there's still a chance he'll survive, right?! D:

Oh, was it a Game of Thrones reference? *hasn't read the books or watched the show*

Ah! Read them now! (The TV series is also quite good)

Congrats, H. Pro! Adding some Game of Thrones to the mix is an incredible touch.

Thanks, AM! And I was really touched by his care and effort. He learned it all from scratch, and I know he cut/burned himself and may have gotten high on lacquer many times. I saw his hands... ;_;

Looks like a Jammie Dodger. No better way to propose. I hope you dunked it in your tea afterwards! :p

http://www.partyandjokes.com/images/005fjdrb.jpg[img]

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jammie_Dodgers[/url][/QUOTE]

It does look like that cookie thing...

[quote="Platy, post: 46234892"]Late Congrats !

Beautiful stuff !
That a LOT of dedication to do something that references [spoiler]someone who was always just a friend and someone who dies early[/spoiler] xD[/QUOTE]

Thank you! And, now I'm beginning to fear that when I start making my move to conquer kingdoms he'll meet a terrible demise... -_-

[quote="Arsenic Yellow, post: 46237311"]Congrats! Gorgeous ring, sounds like an incredible proposal. I'm not a fan of games of thones, so I can't appreciate the ring on that aspect, but it's absolutely wonderful that he was able to make something personalized just for you, and to work on it for months? He's a keeper. Beautiful.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! The ring was really symbolic too. We'd talked before about how I disliked diamonds in general and didn't care for the blood diamond trade, so the ring is actually a white sapphire (my birthstone) set in platinum (bc he knows I punch things)(sometimes). The inscription tied in beautifully with the eggs too. He really did think it out.

Champagne dinner, sunset beach by the water and after the proposal/sitting down on a rock to admire the eggs/savor the moment... we realized we were sitting in a swarm of ants that were biting my ass. :D

[quote="Inanna, post: 46241786"]:o Omg, CONGRATS, HP!!! :D Don't get what the eggs and the symbols are for but what he did for you was amazing and very creative! Is your guy Australian? They've got the most sexiest accent ever. Aussies and British, my guy is British and I freakin' love his accent!

Not every girl does that, though. :D

Same here, I doubt I would either because the show is a bit too sexist for my liking, that's why I didn't get the refrences and what the egg was for, but it still sounds amazingly awesome! :D[/QUOTE]

He is Australian and his accent is very sexy! :D (I LOVE the British one too) (I've seen your guy and you are doubly lucky!) ;)

[quote="idlethreats, post: 46243873"]Damn. Pics when he's done!

Ehh, I don't think it's that black and white, really. ASOIAF is [I]a lot[/I] more progressive and egalitarian in its portrayal of women than the vast majority of mainstream fantasy, and I genuinely think GRRM is trying to subvert a lot of the sexism that is so common, if not inherent, to the genre - but that doesn't mean that the books, or the show, don't still regurgitate sexist garbage at times. While I personally love ASOIAF, I don't blame anyone who stays away from it because of how the narrative treats women. It could be better. Take the show's portrayal of prostitutes, for example. There's nuance there, for sure, but the excessive sexploitation is really unnecessary and isn't even a faithful representation of the books.[/QUOTE]

Definitely! I'll display them next to my ever-growing collection of GoT goods (beer glasses, coasters, maps...)

As for my guy, he actually lives in Japan right now (where we initially met), but he's ready to leave and we're considering all the options. It'll definitely be States vs. Australia, but whichever we chose, we'll have the wedding in the other country by way of condolence to the family that won't get us. It'll be a bit of a change, that's for sure. :D

And agreed on GoT. It's not sexist, but it was a brutal time and that lends towards a lot of raping. Many of the female characters do wield the major power/influence so I think he is trying to buck certain stereotypes too.

[quote="shidoshi, post: 46244714"][i]Love[/i] seeing real effort put in, especially for something so special and meaningful. Things like this show that it really is the thought that counts, not the money that's spent. The ring could be $20, and it'd still have far more value than a $20,000 ring purchased with little concern put into the purchase.

Really awesome, even if the Game of Thrones references are totally lost on me. *heh* Congratulations![/QUOTE]

It was absolutely sweet and meaningful and I feel incredible lucky to have him. I totally agree with you on effort vs. $$$.

And you MUST read the books. Best fantasy I've read in decades.

Love your new avy too, btw. ;)

[quote="Devolution, post: 46260524"]Cross posted from pyp but the dress/long sweater shirt and jacket I got over christmas break.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ei5A9.png

Oooooh, I like this. Very nice! Sweet jacket, dress, tights, etc., etc.

As for my guy, he actually lives in Japan right now (where we initially met), but he's ready to leave and we're considering all the options. It'll definitely be States vs. Australia, but whichever we chose, we'll have the wedding in the other country by way of condolence to the family that won't get us. It'll be a bit of a change, that's for sure. :D
You know which option is the superior choice ;)
Japan!

Cross posted from pyp but the dress/long sweater shirt and jacket I got over christmas break.

Your hair looks great all grown out! Do you plan on cutting it again, or are you enjoying the extra warmth over winter? :p

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Hope it's not too late to offer my congratulations to you too, H. Pro! Very happy for you :)

And what a proposal! All the effort he put into it is simply amazing. I love hearing proposal stories, especially when they're as unique and heartfelt as yours. A man who puts so much into making you happy and creating something special like that is definitely a keeper. Gorgeous eggs and gorgeous ring!

Wherever you guys decide to live and whatever you decide to do, best wishes for your future. Being married is awesome. ;)

^_^ Thanks! I was a bit surprised (not that I didn't think we were headed there, but it just came sooner than I thought). I also hadn't thought of the symbolism if it goes parallel to the books... Hmmm... Drogo wasn't the one who actually gave her the eggs, though, right? That means there's still a chance he'll survive, right?! D:
IIRC, Illyrio gave her the eggs...maybe it's just better to look past the symbolism in this case. XD Illyrio is a survivor though!

Champagne dinner, sunset beach by the water and after the proposal/sitting down on a rock to admire the eggs/savor the moment... we realized we were sitting in a swarm of ants that were biting my ass. :D
Stories like that are kind of the best, hehe. A friend of mine was proposed to on the beach, on a giant rock that was jutting out into the ocean. Right after he popped the question, a giant wave knocked her into the sea, and he had to dive in after to save her.

And agreed on GoT. It's not sexist, but it was a brutal time and that lends towards a lot of raping. Many of the female characters do wield the major power/influence so I think he is trying to buck certain stereotypes too.
Don't leave XSEED! Us fans need you!

Opiate

Why do you crush my dreams?

And yeah, I can definitely see that to be the case, though does it stay to the same degree as you age? I'd be very interested to see if age plays a factor.

I haven't seen any research on this. What I have seen is that the people who believe they are above the influence -- who believe they are independent thinkers who make their own decisions -- are actually the most susceptible to external influence. That's actually a common thread through most neuropsych; for example, the people who laugh at the concept of TV commercials, who think they're silly and who wonder who could possibly be influenced by them are actually the people most influenced by them.

If that sentence doesn't make sense, its because I just woke up.

It did!

Emitan

I haven't seen any research on this. What I have seen is that the people who believe they are above the influence -- who believe they are independent thinkers who make their own decisions -- are actually the most susceptible to external influence. That's actually a common thread through most neuropsych; for example, the people who laugh at the concept of TV commercials, who think they're silly and who wonder who could possibly be influenced by them are actually the people most influenced by them.

I used to think that way until I had some self reflection and realized how many decisions I make because of commercials. Sometimes I feel like I should be a psychologist or neuroscientist because I find the way the brain works so fascinating.

This is one of my favorite books I own:

VPhSN.jpg

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I've got a few books by Oliver Sacks.

*of course*

I realized when I first lived in Japan and needed to go shopping that it was difficult to pick out products to use when I hadn't seen any commercials for them. I didn't know what to look for and everything just kind of looked the same. Being able to recognize brand names is surprisingly helpful.

A practical example:

"ADVERTISING DOESN'T WORK! I AM NOT LIKE YOU SHEEPLE!"

"State Farm is there for me. Y'know, like a good neighbor."

You just have to strike a balance. Plenty of people actually aren't swayed by ads but have brand loyalty simply because their parents used something. So they're still not really aware of influences.

There's a difference between brand loyalty - which is based on experience, personal or indirect - and brand familiarity, which is when someone can, knowingly or unknowingly, regurgitate a brand's talking points (including taglines) and associate the attributes they speak to, to the brand.

If you're not impacted by ads, then what, exactly, drives you to use the brand's slogan - almost verbatim - as a way of describing how they treat you?

There's a difference between brand loyalty - which is based on experience, personal or indirect - and brand familiarity, which is when someone can, knowingly or unknowingly, regurgitate a brand's talking points (including taglines) and associate the attributes they speak to, to the brand.

If you're not impacted by ads, then what, exactly, drives you to use the brand's slogan - almost verbatim - as a way of describing how they treat you?

Are they being genuine? The only time I hear slogans these days is said with an eyeroll or as a joke.

Oh, and congrats H. Protaganist! =D Australia is awesome if not a wee bit hot atm.

Thanks! I quite enjoyed the heat while I was there, but burning the soles of my feet was not so fun. :( A bit too hot, indeed.

Hope it's not too late to offer my congratulations to you too, H. Pro! Very happy for you :)

And what a proposal! All the effort he put into it is simply amazing. I love hearing proposal stories, especially when they're as unique and heartfelt as yours. A man who puts so much into making you happy and creating something special like that is definitely a keeper. Gorgeous eggs and gorgeous ring!

Wherever you guys decide to live and whatever you decide to do, best wishes for your future. Being married is awesome. ;)

Thanks, cloud! Cheers for all the well wishes! It's still sort of sinking in for me. I look at the eggs a lot and think about him. Luckily he'll be in LA next week for almost a week before he heads back to Japan, but then we do the waiting thing again for a few months. :( Lots of planning/thinking to do in the meantime, so it won't be so bad. And, yeah, he's a keeper.

Suppose I'll use that time to finish the book. You still going on yours?

IIRC, Illyrio gave her the eggs...maybe it's just better to look past the symbolism in this case. XD Illyrio is a survivor though!

Stories like that are kind of the best, hehe. A friend of mine was proposed to on the beach, on a giant rock that was jutting out into the ocean. Right after he popped the question, a giant wave knocked her into the sea, and he had to dive in after to save her.

Don't leave XSEED! Us fans need you!

He has a chance at life, then! :D And your friend's story is awesome. i think little quirks like that make it all very special.

As for XSEED, I'm hard at work, don't you worry. ;)

H.Protagonist is too sensible to want to live in Japan.

Yup, yup. I spent three fun years there, but it's not a place I could spend the rest of my life in. My guy has been there for 10 years and he's really, REALLY ready to go.

Australia it is then!

Maybe! :)

Top Bottom