• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I'm 5'7" too! I would be happy being taller, but this is alright. I'm still usually the tallest girl in the room.

I wouldn't say 5'4" is short. I think that's closer to average. *checks* In fact it is average. Not short at all!

Alright GirlGAF (and guyGAF), I need you all to settle a friendly debate between my girlfriend and I.

What constitutes a 'date' to you?

According to her, it's dependent on if the guy is paying for things. For this particular conversation it's about a movie. If a guy pays for her movie ticket, it's a date. She mentioned that doing so is like buying a drink for a girl at a bar, it express your interest in her.

I'm saying it's all about intent, whether it's only one or both parties have a romantic or other interest. My view point was that doing something like dinner and a movie is considered a date since it's probably the most cliche American dating ritual.

Edit:

Zappos.com is awesome. I've used them before even though I never wore this brand of sneakers before. Wound up being a size too big and contacted them, they let me mail it back to them on their dime and shipped me out a pair in a smaller size with express shipping. Fantastic service.

It's a date only if the guy is paying? What? She's fucking selfish.

Al-ibn Kermit

At most, a movie is half a date no matter who pays. If you're not talking, it's not a date.

It's true that a lot of girls often say yes to dates just for free lunches though. That's why you don't rush to pick up the whole check. If it's a legitimate date... the girl will reject your money.

Hero

Yeah, it's nothing serious, just something that came up in conversation and figured I'd see what some of you thought without making a thread.

It's a date only if the guy is paying? What? She's fucking selfish.

Also, regardless of my girlfriend's opinions which she is entitled to have, there's no need to be so rude about it.

Yeah, it's nothing serious, just something that came up in conversation and figured I'd see what some of you thought without making a thread.

Also, regardless of my girlfriend's opinions which she is entitled to have, there's no need to be so rude about it.

If you don't want real answers don't bother asking next time. Her attitude is entitled as fuck.

Calling her selfish may be a bit harsh. She may have had a different sort of upbringing, to where it seems perfectly normal for a guy to pay for the date. That being said, it is a pretty old fashion, closed minded sort of outlook. Did you ask her if it would still be a date if she paid?

Usually my boyfriend pays when we go out, as I am currently unemployed, but when it was the other way around, we'd still have dates, I'd just take him out :)

Arsenic and I are looking at the burberry site. Hahaha fuck found the best thing ever on there a Trench cape only $2,595.00

MxuFkHK.jpg

If you close that trench thingie you could fly like a rocket.

And you fool, hide the men's side. I can already see Manshion being all "Perfect! Look at all these colors!"

I also would like to post about favorite High fashion designers. Can we just all agree that Alexander Mcqueen is amazing.

Alexander+McQueen+-+Savage+Beauty+-+WhosThatBoy.ME+1.jpg

alexander_mcqueen_shoes.jpg

From pre spring 2013 collection:
tumblr_mgqfko69Cr1r16wfko5_1280.jpg

tumblr_mgqfko69Cr1r16wfko7_1280.jpg

Summer 2013 collection:
tumblr_mh2p57Qhd01qamqp2o3_1280.jpg

I'm so excited about his bee theme, I'm currently working on a bee/sexuality theme in my sculptures myself. Latest one is called Balling of the Queen. Just saw his bee thing today!

Mitsuho

Banned
Alright GirlGAF (and guyGAF), I need you all to settle a friendly debate between my girlfriend and I.

According to her, it's dependent on if the guy is paying for things. For this particular conversation it's about a movie. If a guy pays for her movie ticket, it's a date. She mentioned that doing so is like buying a drink for a girl at a bar, it express your interest in her.

I'm saying it's all about intent, whether it's only one or both parties have a romantic or other interest. My view point was that doing something like dinner and a movie is considered a date since it's probably the most cliche American dating ritual.

Dang, the Wikipedia entry about Dating is just as long as some of the science ones.

"While the term has several meanings, it usually refers to the act of meeting and engaging in some mutually agreed upon social activity in public, together, as a couple."

"Each culture has particular patterns which determine such choices as whether the man asks the woman out, where people might meet, whether kissing is acceptable on a first date, the substance of conversation, who should pay for meals or entertainment,[6][17] or whether splitting expenses is allowed."

2009 "About 60 percent of New York respondents said that men should pay on the first date"

At most, a movie is half a date no matter who pays. If you're not talking, it's not a date.

It's true that a lot of girls often say yes to dates just for free lunches though. That's why you don't rush to pick up the whole check. If it's a legitimate date... the girl will reject your money.

:/ I'd give you 'some', but girls aren't out in droves preying on men for free food. C'mon.

As for dates, I also can't agree when you say it's not a legitimate date if the girl accepts wherever you take her/eat, etc. Asking someone out on a date specifically usually implies 1) you're serious and 2) it's your treat. Since people seem to have a hard time telling if others are just trying to be your friend or are seriously, romantically interested in you, them paying is usually a loud and clear signal. If you mean more that there should at least be a little struggle over the bill, I think that's perfectly normal, though.

I'd say if after a date or two the girl herself doesn't offer to pay or take the initiative, then you have a problem. It's a lack of reciprocation and effort that makes it a non-date and more taking advantage of, in my opinion.

I also would like to post about favorite High fashion designers. Can we just all agree that Alexander Mcqueen is amazing.

I'm so excited about his bee theme, I'm currently working on a bee/sexuality theme in my sculptures myself. Latest one is called Balling of the Queen. Just saw his bee thing today!

Wow. Some of those are amazing. I really love the feather top and the white dress (though I could never wear it). The shoes are really badass too. I <3 steampunky stuff.

The stuff Devo posted now... haha. :D

29557_10151182000331176_1354197182_n.jpg

Courtesy of CrudeDiatribe.

Mmh. Not sure what I think of kilts.

Aaaaaaaaaand Good Morning. Thanks, AM.

leadbelly

Banned
See, this just looks like typical Korean popstar to me :p

Me neither. But would the fact that they are worn with nothing underneath help in making a decision?

Or some pretentious, to cool for school, avant-garde nutcase. He's the sort of person that scrunches up pieces of paper, chucks it in the corner of a white room and calls it art. Then tries to place deep philosophical meaning to it. He probably walks around smoking a cigarette in a long cigarette holder and wears a beret. :p

Nah, I do know what you mean actually. It does seem to fit that typical 'bling' style.

"I am a popstar so I need to wear lots of shiny things so that I stand out"

Looool the Burberry clothes.

You know, this is what comes to mind when you speak of 'Burberry'.

It is usually associated with 'chavs'. lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav
chav-driver.jpg

According to her, it's dependent on if the guy is paying for things.
No offense to your girlfriend, but I think that is a terrible definition of a date. Not only is it heterocentric (how do the gays go on dates if there's no guys, or two of em?) but it's sexist and mired in archaic patriarchal traditions that are better off done away with. And what about dates that don't require the spending of money at all (walk on the beach, going for a hike, etc). It's an incredibly limited definition. All a date requires, IMO, is that both parties have a romantic interest in one another.

Hero

What would you infer from that?

How is me having to infer your answer giving it to me "real", whatever that is anyway?

Calling her selfish may be a bit harsh. She may have had a different sort of upbringing, to where it seems perfectly normal for a guy to pay for the date. That being said, it is a pretty old fashion, closed minded sort of outlook. Did you ask her if it would still be a date if she paid?

Usually my boyfriend pays when we go out, as I am currently unemployed, but when it was the other way around, we'd still have dates, I'd just take him out :)

I think in general it has to do with upbringing, some people are just more old fashioned about some things. As for your question, I haven't but maybe I'll ask. For the record, sometimes I will pay and sometimes she will pay. It was just a discussion on the merits and definition of what a "date" is.

Dang, the Wikipedia entry about Dating is just as long as some of the science ones.

"While the term has several meanings, it usually refers to the act of meeting and engaging in some mutually agreed upon social activity in public, together, as a couple."

"Each culture has particular patterns which determine such choices as whether the man asks the woman out, where people might meet, whether kissing is acceptable on a first date, the substance of conversation, who should pay for meals or entertainment,[6][17] or whether splitting expenses is allowed."

2009 "About 60 percent of New York respondents said that men should pay on the first date"

I wonder how many people that article has assisted. Yeesh.

:/ I'd give you 'some', but girls aren't out in droves preying on men for free food. C'mon.

As for dates, I also can't agree when you say it's not a legitimate date if the girl accepts wherever you take her/eat, etc. Asking someone out on a date specifically usually implies 1) you're serious and 2) it's your treat. Since people seem to have a hard time telling if others are just trying to be your friend or are seriously, romantically interested in you, them paying is usually a loud and clear signal. If you mean more that there should at least be a little struggle over the bill, I think that's perfectly normal, though.

I'd say if after a date or two the girl herself doesn't offer to pay or take the initiative, then you have a problem. It's a lack of reciprocation and effort that makes it a non-date and more taking advantage of, in my opinion.

Useful and informative opinion. So regarding the portion about treating and paying, what exactly is it about the financial aspect that turns it from a platonic situation to a romantic one? Like if you went on a date with a guy during the courtship period and he didn't pay, would you feel like he wasn't very serious or interested?

How is me having to infer your answer giving it to me "real", whatever that is anyway?

I think in general it has to do with upbringing, some people are just more old fashioned about some things. As for your question, I haven't but maybe I'll ask. For the record, sometimes I will pay and sometimes she will pay. It was just a discussion on the merits and definition of what a "date" is.

I wonder how many people that article has assisted. Yeesh.

Useful and informative opinion. So regarding the portion about treating and paying, what exactly is it about the financial aspect that turns it from a platonic situation to a romantic one? Like if you went on a date with a guy during the courtship period and he didn't pay, would you feel like he wasn't very serious or interested?

I suppose because it means they're making a statement? Going out with friends, they don't pay for me and I don't pay for them (generally), but if someone said "I'd like to take you out to dinner" it would stand out as being very clearly in the romantic sense. If someone just said, "would you like to hang out" and we paid for our own stuff, I probably wouldn't think anything of it except that we're buddies and are just having fun. I'm a bit blind in that sense. I need clear signals to know if a guy likes me.

And when I say that the 'pay' part makes it more official, I'm just talking about first or second dates here for either party. I don't think guys should be the only one doing this. If I was single and interested in a guy and I asked him out specifically on a date, I would pay. If the courtship is going well and there are 2nd, 3rd or 4th dates before deciding concretely that you are boyfriend and/or girlfriend, I say both sides need to do the treating. Mutual splitting is fine too.

But once you're in a relationship, in no way does a 'date' become real only if the guy pays. :/ Sometimes they pay, sometimes you pay, sometimes you split, etc. Hell, just strolling to the park or checking out a cool spot is like a date when you're with someone you love. There's no hard and fast rule except that you need effort on both sides.

Zoe

I like the idea that whoever extends the invitation should pay. If there's no invitation, I wouldn't really consider it a date.

(though I'm saying this as someone who never went on a date with the bf before we started "dating")

Slayven

To me a date is when 2 people decide to spend time together that may or may not lead to romantic stuff. It doesn't matter who pays, as long as it understood at the time the check comes. Personally I would just pay because I am nice to folk and it is ingrained in my southern gentlemenhood.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Y'all should tell me what I should and shouldn't like because I don't know. Lol.

I have no expectations regarding relationships so I can just say "hey that's a good looking guy" without it making me depressed right now :D

I thought Heath Ledger was a good looking guy. I think Benedict Cumberbatch is attractive in a "oh my god what" kind of way lol

Yep.

:| What? That's not how it works. No one can tell you what you should find hot!! A good looking guy is a good looking guy. Sure some may have a preference like I don't like guys with huge muscles, I have no idea but to me they look gross and trashy...

I don't like guys that cover their awesome sexy skin with horrible tattoos. And I may be the only girl in here that doesn't get turned on just by the bulge, that doesn't do anything for me, its the entire package (heh not THAT package :p) his smile, hair his body, the whole thing.

Zoe

I don't like guys that cover their awesome sexy skin with horrible tattoos. And I may be the only girl in here that doesn't get turned on just by the bulge, that doesn't do anything for me, its the entire package (heh not THAT package :p) his smile, hair his body, the whole thing.

Don't worry, you're not.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I know, nobody said that, well except Lin :p But the thing is the bulge/penis in itself doesn't turn me on AT ALL. Is that weird? Everything about a man turns me on. Their manly smell. the jawline, hair, face, their touch, their skin etc etc those things drive me insane but the penis alone doesn't do much for me.

I know, nobody said that, well except Lin :p But the thing is the bulge/penis in itself doesn't turn me on AT ALL. Is that weird? Everything about a man turns me on. Their manly smell. the jawline, hair, face, their touch, their skin etc etc those things drive me insane but the penis alone doesn't do much for me.
No, it's not weird. Most dicks are pretty much the same, and the ones that are different are typically for the worst.

It's definitely the one part where the thing that matters most is the usage, not the look. That said the bulge does add to the appeal a lot.

A.E Suggs

I don't think anyone has said that.
That's how you know its secretly her favorite thing about a guy.

Nah, you can't. The friendzone is a myth.

For me all it does is just block out a person who you just want as a friend. This is very handy for friends you have that want romantic relationships with you but you don't feel that way. If you don't have friends then I guess you don't have to worry about that now do we ;).

Anyway myth or not doesn't make it not powerful..or a problem.

I could actually make this work. Don't know where I would wear it to but still.

Leeness

:| What? That's not how it works. No one can tell you what you should find hot!! A good looking guy is a good looking guy. Sure some may have a preference like I don't like guys with huge muscles, I have no idea but to me they look gross and trashy...

I'm a weird prude who is afraid of men :p so...I dunno haha. I'm just trying to not think of bad things and just say "hey, he looks good I guess" and leave it at that, but I don't know how lol.

Leeness do you find women attractive? I feel you on the "don't understand is supposed to be a hot guy" thing but some guys work for me. On the other hand I know exactly what I find attractive about women.

Nah. I mean, I can say a woman is pretty (and it's usually "man she's so much prettier than I could ever hope to be!") but not attracted to ladies.

Well, with that guy, definitely, but I meant in general.

Certainly a kilt would make for an easier job in there.

And more fun! Probably much more comfortable for him too.

hmmm... To me this is kind of falling down the same worm hole as "girls go to bars to get free drinks". If I want a free lunch I can just eat at home, without the awkwardness of sitting with a guy I'm not interested in for a few hours. But yeah, its probably better if the girl at least offers to pay.

Boyfriend and I usually alternate in paying (depending on who just got paid), but it sure feels sweet when he offers ><

The bulge is my favorite part.

I don't know why this made me giggle so.

tumblr_mgfjfeq2jc1qkjmz3o1_1280.jpg

Someone explain why these bees are in this honey coming out of those boobs.

Its a sculpture of mine...its a beehive :(. My pieces are about gender, femininity and fertility. Called Balling of the Queen its referencing the way bees kill off their queen bees when they aren't of use anymore, which is called Balling. I just finished it first week of january and thought it was funny that McQueen is doing a bee theme right now too. I have a few other pieces in the works at the moment.

Top Bottom