• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

The exercise threads would be a good place to discuss what you put out here, Devo - the research and expertise that I've been privy to in 15 years of working out would suggest better results with a combination of cardio, weight, and resistance training (and, that interval training is sometimes more conducive to better training results)

Form is important, and necessarily so - but the thinking goes that without warming up your muscles, you are more prone to injury and less likely to work to exhaustion, which will make your workouts less effective. Stretching doesn't warm you up.

Which is to say, get your heart rate up for 10 minutes or so, but don't drain yourself before doing 2-3 sets of whatever list of other exercises you're about to do.

Well I do stretching then go into pushups or situps. I miss the gym for resistance stuff =/. Also doing stuff in intervals of 20s won't do much. I also I mostly meant towards the end when she's kind of weary from running that it wouldn't help with the form of her squats for instance.

Here's the music
Unfortunately I can't find Arty's BBC Mix (copyright bs), which I basically just played while exercising. Here's some tracks off it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihkQMYpKaJY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnYf20_4haE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipX6wgwuHho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDUDNf7fULk

Chem Bros
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1eYH8gUTjI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk948401iGc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJC6hJ5T1iU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaU5qkQJ1e4

Crystal Method
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScJvQhWL7Lg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luy5ySQWCPc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Za4CR8lFrw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Out4wtHLFBE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqHrSCjfc4w

I'm pretty limber but that's not really the same as stretching since it gets all kinds of muscle groups you didn't think could get so sore after a certain area is worked out. I felt pretty energized just after doing weight training. For a while I was bench pressing, squats, bicep and tricep curls. Now I'm just regulated to the odd pushup and squat because the gym is expensive.

I definitely feel like squats are the one to focus on since it helps your posture and keeps you upright for the rest of the day.

I worked out to trance and house. I'll post some links in a bit.

Weight training, huh? I'm cool with toning, but not keen to build up muscle exactly. Squats are key, though. Helps with posture, tones a lot of things and in general alleviates the flat butt one gets from sitting at a comp 12hrs a day. Cheers for the music recommendations too.

EDIT:

Those songs are perfect. Just the right amount of growl and steady beat for working out. I really like the Ferry Corsten one.

The exercise threads would be a good place to discuss what you put out here, Devo - the research and expertise that I've been privy to in 15 years of working out would suggest better results with a combination of cardio, weight, and resistance training (and, that interval training is sometimes more conducive to better training results)

Form is important, and necessarily so - but the thinking goes that without warming up your muscles, you are more prone to injury and less likely to work to exhaustion, which will make your workouts less effective. Stretching doesn't warm you up.

Which is to say, get your heart rate up for 10 minutes or so, but don't drain yourself before doing 2-3 sets of whatever list of other exercises you're about to do.

I would have posted in there if I was looking for a more serious workout, but I'm just trying to energize my mornings. And since I'm more interested in stuff that's worked for other girls in particular, this seemed the better place. You both seem to have a lot of knowledge on the matter, though, and I appreciate the experienced advice.

That and this talk can segue nicely into more fluffy, fun stuff, like workout outfits. And silly leg warmers. :)

Where does one get the outfit second from the right???

JSjWbjOl.jpg

Weight training, huh? I'm cool with toning, but not keen to build up muscle exactly. Squats are key, though. Helps with posture, tones a lot of things and in general alleviates the flat butt one gets from sitting at a comp 12hrs a day. Cheers for the music recommendations too.

EDIT:

Those songs are perfect. Just the right amount of growl and steady beat for working out. I really like the Ferry Corsten one.

I would have posted in there if I was looking for a more serious workout, but I'm just trying to energize my mornings. And since I'm more interested in stuff that's worked for other girls in particular, this seemed the better place. You both seem to have a lot of knowledge on the matter, though, and I appreciate the experienced advice.

That and this talk can segue nicely into more fluffy, fun stuff, like workout outfits. And silly leg warmers. :)

Where does one get the outfit second from the right???

JSjWbjOl.jpg

Well it does get you toned the pushups, squats, benching. It isn't until you start really adding weight and eating more that you get big. I never actually bulked up, just put on some muscle (because I need it) and felt much more tight. My posture greatly improved from the squats but like I said you want to keep proper form on those. Also added more songs.

Fair enough, it's not uncommon for ladies to shy away from exercise threads, which hold a risk of attracting meatheads (I've found GAF's to be pretty helpful though, so give 'em a shot)

If you're looking for a way to energize your mornings, focus on tone and form, etc, then a suite of yoga/pilates/ballet postures and exercises would probably suit you well. Also, sleep and hydration and a moderately healthy diet (duh!) But, I'd be remiss not to suggest at least mild cardio on a regular basis: it is shown to reduce risk of heart disease and stroke, is a great stress-buster, and gives you that lovely glow that makes you look like you just got some...but didn't.

There are petite, svelte girls out there who bench double their weight and don't look it. Putting on muscle isn't about reps or sets or the volume you lift/press/etc. It is partly genetics, and it is partly the exercises you do, and it is partly the foods you eat. Endo- and mesomorphs are more prone to gaining muscle and "looking" bigger, though endomorphs will have a helluva time losing weight. Mesomorphs are the most likely to end up with six-pack abs if they stick to a strict diet and exercise regimen. Eating protein helps to repair muscle and will help you to gain muscle mass with the appropriate exercise regimen. Fast-twitch muscle exercises - think the quads on sprinters - tend to build definition. Static and slow-twitch exercises would have a different effect (marathon runners and yogis).

Most girls - and we're talking upwards of 90% - won't end up looking like bodybuilders if they start lifting serious weight (after working up to it in stages).

It's also damn near impossible for women to get a six-pack. In the height of my training I had a four-pack, but that's the best I ever got - and it's unlikely I'll ever get there again (thank you, metabolism!).

As for where you can go to get that Donna Summer look, try Value Village, or stores that carry dancewear. Funky leotards, ridiculously coloured leg warmers, and 80s cotton scrunchies landed in those stores in the 80s, and have never left.

Well it does get you toned the pushups, squats, benching. It isn't until you start really adding weight and eating more that you get big. I never actually bulked up, just put on some muscle (because I need it) and felt much more tight. My posture greatly improved from the squats but like I said you want to keep proper form on those. Also added more songs.

True. It's just when I did use weights for a bit, and since I don't eat a ton, the result was extra sinewy arms... All the muscles stood out and were firm, but it looked a little chicken-wingy to my eye. :/

Definitely could use more tone in the lower half, though. Am delighted to add more awesome music to my mornings as well. Thanks!

By the by, are you still doing the weight gain thing? I remember you were having great results with it.

Fair enough, it's not uncommon for ladies to shy away from exercise threads, which hold a risk of attracting meatheads (I've found GAF's to be pretty helpful though, so give 'em a shot)

If you're looking for a way to energize your mornings, focus on tone and form, etc, then a suite of yoga/pilates/ballet postures and exercises would probably suit you well. Also, sleep and hydration and a moderately healthy diet (duh!) But, I'd be remiss not to suggest at least mild cardio on a regular basis: it is shown to reduce risk of heart disease and stroke, is a great stress-buster, and gives you that lovely glow that makes you look like you just got some...but didn't.

There are petite, svelte girls out there who bench double their weight and don't look it. Putting on muscle isn't about reps or sets or the volume you lift/press/etc. It is partly genetics, and it is partly the exercises you do, and it is partly the foods you eat. Endo- and mesomorphs are more prone to gaining muscle and "looking" bigger, though endomorphs will have a helluva time losing weight. Mesomorphs are the most likely to end up with six-pack abs if they stick to a strict diet and exercise regimen. Eating protein helps to repair muscle and will help you to gain muscle mass with the appropriate exercise regimen. Fast-twitch muscle exercises - think the quads on sprinters - tend to build definition. Static and slow-twitch exercises would have a different effect (marathon runners and yogis).

Most girls - and we're talking upwards of 90% - won't end up looking like bodybuilders if they start lifting serious weight (after working up to it in stages).

It's also damn near impossible for women to get a six-pack. In the height of my training I had a four-pack, but that's the best I ever got - and it's unlikely I'll ever get there again (thank you, metabolism!).

As for where you can go to get that Donna Summer look, try Value Village, or stores that carry dancewear. Funky leotards, ridiculously coloured leg warmers, and 80s cotton scrunchies landed in those stores in the 80s, and have never left.

I think they definitely have great advice in there, especially for more serious stuff, but I'd feel like I was wasting their time with my very casual exercise. If I had more of a specific goal, like summer six-pack I'd probably wander over, but you and Devo seem to have it covered. :)

I really like the yoga/pilates/ballet approach you've suggested. I think I'll switch it up during my week to switch between the two types. Cardio for a bit, then core stuff. And I'm good with hydration, but sleep, well, we've never been the best of friends. That's part of why I'm doing this. I'm hoping it'll in part help balance out the fuck in my brain when it comes to sleep.

And since sex will be unavailable for another 4-5 months (deep sadness), I will settle for the workout glow! :D

Muscle-wise, as I said to Devo, I tend to get sinewy because I don't seem to hold weight. I eat plenty and often but my tapeworm is a trooper and has not met a steak/bread/beer he didn't like. That's partially why I don't really consider weights. I look all right toned-wise except for the thighs, but I feel you on the abs. I've had the four-pack before, but the bottom bit has never been realized.

As for silly workout outfits, thanks for the recommendations there as well! I've been through Sports Authority and a few other workout related places, but they never have anything silly. I find being a little goofy when working out helps me, so I might go all out if I see the right duds.

Haha. The cover looks super hardcore. BLOOD BROS!

Zoe

Well I do stretching then go into pushups or situps. I miss the gym for resistance stuff =/. Also doing stuff in intervals of 20s won't do much. I also I mostly meant towards the end when she's kind of weary from running that it wouldn't help with the form of her squats for instance.

What she posted is a typical HIIT routine which can be quite effective for some people. And the form you would use in that style wouldn't necessarily be the same as with heavy lifting--range of motion in particular.

True. It's just when I did use weights for a bit, and since I don't eat a ton, the result was extra sinewy arms... All the muscles stood out and were firm, but it looked a little chicken-wingy to my eye. :/

Definitely could use more tone in the lower half, though. Am delighted to add more awesome music to my mornings as well. Thanks!

By the by, are you still doing the weight gain thing? I remember you were having great results with it.

Haven't been able to keep it up as much but yeah if you're starting a bit of a workout regiment I really recommend cottage cheese + avocados as a snack afterwards.

I usually do about 30 minutes of Yoga, 5 minutes of butt workouts: Lunges, donkey kicks, flitter kicks, glute lifts, extensions and squats, 3 different sets of 100 waist exercises (dontknow what they are called but they are similar to crunches), and 5 minutes of leg exercises (kicks, inner thigh raises,curls, quad lifts and static lunges).

Also planning on cutting my hair tonight or later this week, finally bought a razor, really unsure about what I'm going to do.Been playing DmC lately and the concept art is absolutely gorgeous. I absolutely love this haircut:
tumblr_mh6unvEP0M1re99vgo1_500.jpg

For some reason I'm really unsure whether or not I can pull off the look, afraid my face isnt feminine enough. I'm also pretty sure I would have to go to a salon to get this done, I usually cut my own hair but I'm unsure about my skills with this style. I would also omit those long strands on the side.

Would probably use this as a side reference shot if I go to a salon:

Proper Day 1 of the new routine... success! At least in the getting up early to do it bit. I feel like such an old lady right now. Everything's sore and crackles when I move. :p

What she posted is a typical HIIT routine which can be quite effective for some people. And the form you would use in that style wouldn't necessarily be the same as with heavy lifting--range of motion in particular.

Thanks the gods because my form is pretty, uh... formless sometimes.

What an excellent ad...

30 Day Shred
Cardio Kickboxing
Six Week Six Pack

Haha I love her. All of those are 20-25 minute work outs and they're great. She keeps it interesting and motivating.

Thanks, Leeness! Will definitely check them out! Switching it up really helps keeps me going.

Haven't been able to keep it up as much but yeah if you're starting a bit of a workout regiment I really recommend cottage cheese + avocados as a snack afterwards.

Sounds good to me. I've been hitting the greek yogurt pretty hard, but savory-ish would be a nice change

I usually do about 30 minutes of Yoga, 5 minutes of butt workouts: Lunges, donkey kicks, flitter kicks, glute lifts, extensions and squats, 3 different sets of 100 waist exercises (dontknow what they are called but they are similar to crunches), and 5 minutes of leg exercises (kicks, inner thigh raises,curls, quad lifts and static lunges).

Also planning on cutting my hair tonight or later this week, finally bought a razor, really unsure about what I'm going to do.Been playing DmC lately and the concept art is absolutely gorgeous. I absolutely love this haircut:
tumblr_mh6unvEP0M1re99vgo1_500.jpg

For some reason I'm really unsure whether or not I can pull off the look, afraid my face isnt feminine enough. I'm also pretty sure I would have to go to a salon to get this done, I usually cut my own hair but I'm unsure about my skills with this style. I would also omit those long strands on the side.

Would probably use this as a side reference shot if I go to a salon:

Damn, girl. You do a proper routine! I'll try and work my way up to there... O_O

As for the hair, you could totally pull it off and look gorgeous. I say go for it! (And I hope for pictures of the outcome!) I'm thinking of doing bangs again myself, but nothing too drastic. I'll just live vicariously through yours. ;)

Sounds good to me. I've been hitting the greek yogurt pretty hard, but savory-ish would be a nice change
Greek yogurt makes the world go round :)

And good luck with your new morning routine! The lady and I have started on a new regime this past month of getting up a half hour earlier to exercise before she has to get ready for work. It's rough going to get in the habit, but we watch old episodes of DuckTales while we exercise to ease the pain.

Greek yogurt makes the world go round :)

And good luck with your new morning routine! The lady and I have started on a new regime this past month of getting up a half hour earlier to exercise before she has to get ready for work. It's rough going to get in the habit, but we watch old episodes of DuckTales while we exercise to ease the pain.

It's sooooo good, right? Just add a bit of honey and anything else and it's a meal. Booyah.

And good luck to you and your lady as well! The getting up is the hardest part. :( It's awesome that you're both doing it! I'm missing my guy's iron workout will (he's hardcore into the gym), but he shows me up so bad in the body department that I have to catch up!

I feel ya on the pain too, though I imagine you guys are working far harder than me... What kind of routine are you into right now?

P.S. I'm playing FR right now!

mollipen

Fire Emblem: Awakening is turning me into a hardcore shipper, and I haven't even unlocked half the cast yet. Oh god. *hangs head in shame*

No do you have any recommendations?
Nah, not really. I just like to stick to the eyes and brows as a focal point.

Speaking of brows... I hope that trend with the huge, thick brows with the harsh lines dies out. Why would anyone want brows that look like they're drawn on with an oversized stencil and marker =x

Nah, not really. I just like to stick to the eyes and brows as a focal point.

Speaking of brows... I hope that trend with the huge, thick brows with the harsh lines dies out. Why would anyone want brows that look like they're drawn on with an oversized stencil and marker =x

No idea. I grew mine back in a bit though since I didn't like how thin I made the arch.

Mitsuho

Banned
Now that's not a free pass to have bad form, mind you! Maybe have somebody watch you to make sure your feet, knees, and hips are in the places they should be,

While not that type of form (lifting or profile), I've been slouching too much again.

Anyone have(had) parents who are big on posture? In HS I had a friend who'd always playfully hit me in the stomach during pep-rallies and such when I sat up straight straight on the bleachers. Funny what memories stick with you.

At work my desk ergonomics are kind of bad. Can't get that 270 that's purportedly better these days. Always leaning into my monitor. (90 and less is more closely associated with the findings that a sedentary lifestyle, even supplemented with exercise, increases heart attack risk apparently. That paired with lots of diet soda...)

Anyone have any tips? Use a ruler? Hold a pen between your back and the backrest as a reminder to lean back?

Mitsuho

Banned
Do any of you guys read ladies magazines? I try to read Vogue, W, Allure, and Better Hones & Gardens any time I can get, though I don't have a sub to any.

My history with magazines was: Nintendo Power (obvious) > Fortean Times (aliens) > Giant Robot (asian-american California J-town/K-town culture) > Business week > Pinterest

Zoe

While not that type of form (lifting or profile), I've been slouching too much again.

Anyone have(had) parents who are big on posture? In HS I had a friend who'd always playfully hit me in the stomach during pep-rallies and such when I sat up straight straight on the bleachers. Funny what memories stick with you.

At work my desk ergonomics are kind of bad. Can't get that 270 that's purportedly better these days. Always leaning into my monitor. (90 and less is more closely associated with the findings that a sedentary lifestyle, even supplemented with exercise, increases heart attack risk apparently. That paired with lots of diet soda...)

Anyone have any tips? Use a ruler? Hold a pen between your back and the backrest as a reminder to lean back?

Maybe use a footrest? It helps me sit further back in my chair.

Not sure what you mean by 270 cause that'd be like... bending backwards at the hip.

It's sooooo good, right? Just add a bit of honey and anything else and it's a meal. Booyah.

And good luck to you and your lady as well! The getting up is the hardest part. :( It's awesome that you're both doing it! I'm missing my guy's iron workout will (he's hardcore into the gym), but he shows me up so bad in the body department that I have to catch up!

I feel ya on the pain too, though I imagine you guys are working far harder than me... What kind of routine are you into right now?

P.S. I'm playing FR right now!
Granola + nuts in greek yogurt, that's what I'm allll about.

Not working out that hard, yet! I'm keeping it simple with a bike for the time being, I figure once I've got myself into the habit of getting up early for a full month or two (I am a complete night owl and not a morning person at all, so that's the biggest challenge for me), I'll kick it up with something more rigorous. My wife actually isn't exercising to tell the truth - she goes through a complicated routine of stretches that lasts about 30 minutes. Her chiropractor said she needed to do them at least 5x a week for her siatica, but she was being a bit lazy about doing them regularly so I offered to get up early and join her.

Fist pump for Fishing Resort! Any good catches? I am *somewhat* tempted to get that Vita fishing game that's coming out today because I so very much want a portable Fishing Resort and it seems like it might be the closest thing to it...but the twin tails anime girl with a bandaid on her sock is making me wary. >_<

Fire Emblem: Awakening is turning me into a hardcore shipper, and I haven't even unlocked half the cast yet. Oh god. *hangs head in shame*
Can't wait to get hooked like this myself! Saw you playing online playing FE: A last night and I shook my fist at you in jealousy!

Zoe

Why do people like greek yogurt? I tried to eat it once and I couldn't even eat a spoonful. :(

I like the yogurt with fruit in it them.

I don't like yogurt, period, but I'm trying to eat it more for the health benefits. That said, most normal yogurt is loaded with sugar so it really isn't that great for you. Greek yogurt is better at that and has a lot of protein, so I mix it into my smoothies.

Squats helped my posture immensely. Some chairs just suck for sitting back in too. Might want to look into a better chair.

All this yogurt talk reminded me of the Sarah Haskins Target Women: Yogurt vid. Dang, I miss that series.

Why do people like greek yogurt? I tried to eat it once and I couldn't even eat a spoonful. :(

I like the yogurt with fruit in it them.
Personally, I prefer savory tastes to sweet, so the super sugary fruit yogurts are a bit too much for me.

That said, lots of greek yogurt producers like Chobani and Fage package them w/fruit stuff that you can mix in.

Greek yogurt, little bit of chocolate protein powder, some shredded coconut.

Lawd hold me. Perfect.
Oh my, that sounds delicious. *makes note to acquire chocolate protein power*

Top Bottom