• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

My brain immediately goes to "God, this will suck next time around."

Oh man, so much this. Latest time was "slow walking around with Raiden because he feels bad" in Metal Gear Rising. Luckily it's only a minute. And so much else of the game is so good it barely registers for me.

Or you could just look at Uncharted 2 which has, by far, the best balance of cinematic design and playability. You constantly focus on "combat and shootbang" in these arguments, but that's not the point. Uncharted 2 has a general gameplay flow that's much better executed than something like Uncharted 3. It's not about getting to the shooting segments as quickly as possible, it's about the entire game being conducive to repeat playthroughs. The more you artificially slow the player down, the less replayable the game becomes.

What a post, I couldn't agree more.

LastNac

UC2 big marketed scene: the train, a combat-heavy environment that goes on for multiple chapters, elegently mixing spectacle with a lot of actual shooting, running, and ya know, gameplay.

The only reason I'm hype for The Last of Us is the fact that the UC2 director is suppose to be behind it. He hasn't fallen into the trap of MORE CINEMATICS MORE SLOW WALKING MORE QTES UC3 fell into

If I could be honest, I find Uncharted 2 to really over use the "Stop and pop " formula of just moving from room to room and clearing it out. The moments after the caravan leading up to getting into Shangri-La felt like filler and a real chore. We can argue over the complexity and argue over the quality but UC3 is able to keep things diverse.

It's not "all of sudden" for me. I can't speak for anyone else, but I've always disliked those moments. Maybe "disliked" is a strong word. I don't have a problem with them initially, but it's on replays where I sour on them. A 15 second slow walk for dramatic purposes, fine. Anything longer than maybe half a minute and I get pulled out of the experience. My brain immediately goes to "God, this will suck next time around." So no, maybe "dislike" isn't a strong word, at least when they're long and/or frequent.

But a cutscene doesn't pull you out of the scene? The fact that the controller is put down and things still play out doesn't bother you, at all?

But a cutscene doesn't pull you out of the scene? The fact that the controller is put down and things still play out doesn't bother you, at all?

To bring this back to God of War discussion, here's an example I'm fine with:

God of War III near end spoilers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BOec4tO5aY&list=PLDB1553E4F8FD5E84&#t=2m25s

THAT is a "push up to move" cinematic kind of scene I'm okay with. The simple fact that they don't artificially hamper your movement speed and don't drag it out makes all the difference. If it's between a cutscene I can usually skip in any decent game or a minute+ of slow walking that provides nearly the same amount of interactivity as a cutscne that I usually CAN'T skip in ANY game, I'll ALWAYS choose the cutscene.

Sid

It did but seemed to narrow itself down, yeah.
I'm not fond of such 'slowed down' sequences myself,the cutscenes should always have a reason to exist other than 'look it's awesome!' ,luckily the guy who played the game said these sequences are very short.

LastNac

To bring this back to God of War discussion, here's an example I'm fine with:

God of War III near end spoilers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BOec4tO5aY&list=PLDB1553E4F8FD5E84&#t=2m25s

THAT is a "push up to move" cinematic kind of scene I'm okay with. The simple fact that they don't artificially hamper your movement speed and don't drag it out makes all the difference. If it's between a cutscene I can usually skip in any decent game or a minute+ of slow walking that provides nearly the same amount of interactivity as a cutscne that I usually CAN'T skip in ANY game, I'll ALWAYS choose the cutscene.

Fine with smaller moments, like when the camera pulls up behind Kratos when he is squeezing through smaller spaces?
Or when the gates open into Tartarus?

Sid

Fine with smaller moments, like when the camera pulls up behind Kratos when he is squeezing through smaller spaces?
The latter or if we can get over with the first one fairly quickly then both.

Sid

But we can at least 'fast crawl' through it,these 'push up to reach goal' sequences absolutely suck.

LastNac

I'm not fond of such 'slowed down' sequences myself,the cutscenes should always have a reason to exist other than 'look it's awesome!' ,luckily the guy who played the game said these sequences are very short.

It is funny to see how cutscenes have evolved over the years. They were first used to depict what actual engines could not do, now they have become a method of story telling, but even that has seemed to change slightly. Case in point the arkham asylum alleyway with young Bruce proves that these cineamtic moments are becoming more popular and more effective for telling and conveying stories and emotions.

Ya know one of the little things I love about God of War 2? They added the ability to speed up the climbing sections. I almost never just push the control stick through those, I'm always mashing x to to move faster across the ceilings, or to jump up that ladder, or hop up that wall.

I really missed that going back to GoW 1. So many cliffsides!

Sid

What do you mean 'what'? you can't run through those 'walking' sequences like you can with the wall hugging ones and that opening the gates of Tartarus scene was awesome anyways :p

Ya know one of the little things I love about God of War 2? They added the ability to speed up the climbing sections. I almost never just push the control stick through those, I'm always mashing x to to move faster across the ceilings, or to jump up that ladder, or hop up that wall.

I really missed that going back to GoW 1. So many cliffsides!
Even the portable ones don't have that,a shame.

Both are acceptable as long are they're short, and for the former, infrequent. I can accept that the "slip through small spaces" thing is usually a form of background loading, but I still hope we see the end of that technique next gen with more and faster RAM.

It is funny to see how cutscenes have evolved over the years. They were first used to depict what actual engines could not do, now they have become a method of story telling, but even that has seemed to change slightly. Case in point the arkham asylum alleyway with young Bruce proves that these cineamtic moments are becoming more popular and more effective for telling and conveying stories and emotions.

The difference is that the normal movement speed in Batman is walking. Aside from combat and the gliding in Arkham City, the traversal in Batman isn't all that fast. They also pace those storytelling moments well as to not annoy or intrude that much. I'd still like the option to skip all of them, especially the long intros to both games.

synce

I'm only 30 minutes into it but so far I'm shocked at how little this series has evolved from the first game, aside from graphics.

I'm only 30 minutes into it but so far I'm shocked at how little this series has evolved from the first game, aside from graphics.

The first game was pretty much perfect at achieving what they set out to achieve for franchise bullet-points. The only big changes I'd have liked from then to now would have been a reward for long, unique combos and more enemy variety. Perhaps Ascension is a bridge too far, will see when I get it

It's like how every time there's even a remotely eccentric character that needs to be cast for a movie, Johnny Depp is always the first reply.

Always

Ah no they have not.

Anyways 2 days to go.

Umm...

GOW & GOW II - PS2
GOW COO & GOS - PSP
GOW III & GOWA - PS3

They just brought the first 4 titles to HD remix to get extra money and get people who didn't play those titles to play them
PS2 versions got the GOW Collection, PSP versions got the Origins Collection treatment, then to sell it as a full package - GOW Saga by adding III

You consider 2 God of War titles per system pounding the shit out of it?

Yeah, ok buddy.

Guys, I love God of War too. That doesn't change the fact that in the last 5 years (March 2008 - March 2013), there have been 4 main line titles released, regardless of system. That is a lot.

Hence:

EGM:
A clear example of a studio going to the well with a franchise one too many times

Polygon:
God of War: Ascension sees Sony Santa Monica's tremendously popular series in something of a predicament. After three console releases — and two portable titles — the series has nearly exhausted the source material it's depended on since 2005

IGN:
these are often outweighed by the times when the action is by-the-numbers and feel like we’ve played the same thing countless times before.

I love this series, and I'm excited to day one this entry . I'm not at all saying I agree with the above reviews - as I haven't played the game, nor have most of you - but let's not bury our heads in the sand and pretend that there isn't some degree of franchise fatigue going on here, a lot of which is reflected in this being the lowest scoring GOW ever.

Also, OT's don't just have to be hype threads, we can actually - ya know - discuss things.

Mifune

Mehmber
Guys, I love God of War too. That doesn't change the fact that in the last 5 years (March 2008 - March 2013), there have been 4 main line titles released, regardless of system.

I really don't think it's fair to include the PSP games, since they were made by a different developer and were played by a fraction of the players of the main games. Same reason I wouldn't consider the GTA series milked.

Darknight

Oh god Im doing this real quick, please no spoilers on this page because I got a quick question!!

I want to preorder this game. Where should I get it in the USA?? Like which place has the best preorder goodies and is the collector's worth it? Thank you. I need to do this tomorrow as I came late home today from Bowling and GS is closed I believe. (east coast)

Oh god Im doing this real quick, please no spoilers on this page because I got a quick question!!

I want to preorder this game. Where should I get it in the USA?? Like which place has the best preorder goodies and is the collector's worth it? Thank you. I need to do this tomorrow as I came late home today from Bowling and GS is closed I believe. (east coast)

amazon

$10 credit, includes the preorder stuff. no collector edition is worth it imo. just go standard

angels.phillipe

Neo Member

Amazon have a 10$ credit, Best Buy have a Mjolnir for MP and Gamestop have Leonidas from 300 for MP, i'd choose amazon, but it's your choice obviously.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
If your focus is heavily combat and action(or shootbang), perhaps.

Seems like overall that is dependent on the individual. People reread entire books or rewatch entire movies. If I wan't to get my twitch on and just focus on combat or action, I might play a short segement of an experience that is predominantly action focused(like a shooter or action titles in the vien of Bayonetta), although that seems that level of base interaction is why multiplayer exists. However, I have gone through Uncharted 3 in its entirety 4 times and even when I do hand pick chapters to go through its typically Chapters 17-20. There is certainly an audience out there that enjoys the cinematic experience and aren't "one and done" in that regard.

Seems like it is difficult to speak for everyone and/or all things.

Here's how I view shootbang segments vs. cinematic oh so emotion-filled experience segments.

On replays, a good action sequence gets better. You derive more enjoyment than you did the first time because you are now more expert in the mechanics and you will start to notice things you didn't before when you were a novice going through your first experience. You are more competent and you get to express it.

On replays, no matter how good the cinematic is, the impact is lessened. It will never be as evocative as it was the first time. The longer the sequence, the more tedious it becomes to play through it. You might still appreciate the graphics and the cinematic angles, and how it embellishes the theme of the game you're playing. I can appreciate all of those things. But I don't always want to. Definitely not the 4th or 5th time.

Cinematics can be skipped. "Interactive" storytelling cannot. It does NOT enhance anything for me to continue inputting rudimentary commands while I watch. I am NOT taken out of the experience when a cutscene happens any more than when I'm forced to walk slowly in one direction. I'm only offended by a cutscene if it exceeds a certain length and cannot be skipped.

And just so that I'm actually talking about GOW, I have not generally had any problems with these kinds of sequences in GOW games. Not a huge fan of the near-end one in GOW3, but otherwise, I don't mind the camera zooming in while Kratos edges through a crack. It shows off the stellar modeling, texturework, and lighting, and it's brief.

Darknight

Ok thanx guys. I think Ill go with Amazon since I'll get $10 credit for tLoU. I may get the Collector's just for the steelbox case. Looks great.

beast786

Guys, I love God of War too. That doesn't change the fact that in the last 5 years (March 2008 - March 2013), there have been 4 main line titles released, regardless of system. That is a lot.

Hence:

EGM:

Polygon:

IGN:

I love this series, and I'm excited to day one this entry . I'm not at all saying I agree with the above reviews - as I haven't played the game, nor have most of you - but let's not bury our heads in the sand and pretend that there isn't some degree of franchise fatigue going on here, a lot of which is reflected in this being the lowest scoring GOW ever.

Also, OT's don't just have to be hype threads, we can actually - ya know - discuss things.

god of War 3 came out almost 3 years ago for the love of GOD. give me a freaking break with these franchise fatigue crap.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
god of War 3 came out almost 3 years ago for the love of GOD. give me a freaking break with these franchise fatigue crap.

So you're betting that GOW:A is just a significantly worse game than all the other GOWs, and not that the press has decided they aren't interested in GOW anymore? The lower scores are indisputable. Which explanation do you think fits best?

A game doesn't have to come out every year to create franchise fatigue. The entries just need to feel like they're too similar to the average player/reviewer (i.e., someone who isn't a superfan with in-depth knowledge of every GOW game).

I can appreciate the changes they've made from game to game, but I don't blame people who have basically played each game once and then moved on for saying "holy shit this hasn't changed enough in 7 years."

TEH-CJ

Banned
I just wanted to say

I am replaying god of war III now and my mind is just completely blown away at how insane this game looks. Not only that, but it plays amazingly well.

The intro is just perfect blend of cinematography, set pieces and spectacle. Not to mention the pacing is spot on. Atleast until you get get to the labrynth and it all falls to shit, But everything before then is gaming perfection.

The whole hades section looks like playable CG at times. I am still blown away by it.

from watching the walkthrough on ascension, whilst the combat looks like a major improvement, unfortunetly everything else looks like a downgrade.

I will still buy it day one, and it is probably unfair of me to judge a game based on a youtube clip, but the game isn't going to drastically change when I am playing it, is it?

Sorian

Banned
So you're betting that GOW:A is just a significantly worse game than all the other GOWs, and not that the press has decided they aren't interested in GOW anymore?

A game doesn't have to come out every year to create franchise fatigue. The entries just need to feel like they're too similar to the average player/reviewer - someone who isn't a superfan with in-depth knowledge of every game.

I can appreciate the changes they've made from game to game, but I don't blame people who have basically played each game once and them moved on for saying "holy shit this hasn't changed enough in 7 years."

The press isn't allowed to decide things. They still aren't fatigued from CoD.

Top Bottom