• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

Mik_Pad

Banned
Man, Trials of Archimedes is very difficult :( WTF SSM, a checkpoint would have been nice... so frustrating.
Todd gave a tip in the reviews thread, basically he said to use the CS moves (Finishers) on the enemies rather than just kill them to regenerate magic and health.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Todd gave a tipe in the reviews thread, basically he said to use the CS moves (Finishers) on the enemies rather than just kill them to regenerate magic and health.

I can't believe anyone would need to be told this. Also, the elemental powers yield different kinds of orbs according to some review I read.

the crazy thing is I still don't know how some of the elemental blades yield orbs. the Hades blade supposed to give you green orbs but ive use magic attacks, finished enemies off and used rage powers on them using only the Hades blades and still haven't got anything. Clearly im doing something wrong.

Also the final boss battle looks incredible. Its better than the Poseidon battle imo.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I only felt bad for the Earth. Kratos ended the sun, dried the lands of water, killed all plant life, released the souls of the dead, and destroyed the skies in one game.
You think there would just be an empty void left, but there was still earth, water and a sky at least.

beast786

I thought franchise fatigue was people getting tired of a franchise because it's not sufficiently innovative and it becomes dull as a result. And it sounds like that's what you're describing.

What is your definition of franchise fatigue? Maybe I am not using the word the same way everyone else is.

The excuse that it's for fans does not in any way excuse a lack of innovation. Fans should be the most demanding of evolution and improvement. Of course I have yet to play it and judge the improvement for myself, and I can't trust reviewers to do it, so I don't want to conclude prematurely that SSM failed to innovate and improve.

Franchise fatique would be when GOW fans are stale of GOW. As AGOW fan i expect evolution and refinement of GOW games. I expect continue evolution in gameplay etc. But these evolution will never make the impact of originals. henece the lower scores. But again for GOW fans we are absolutely fine with these evolution.

i rather see SSM make a new IP if they want big changes and leave my GOW within its universe.

My point was that low score isnt about fatique as its about impact which the sequels generally lack. Look what the hell happened to Killzone franchise. try to change the core and meantime just completly turned off the origanal killzone fans. This was for gow fans. I believe SSM and todd already knew there limits.

Jarmel

Banned
So did we get confirmation that the Last of Us demo is coming May 31 for early access people or that's when the unwashed hordes get it?

fionel

One of the things I missed from GoW3 was the number of bosses in GoW2. I think 2 had more than a dozen of them and all of them were great, while 3 had like a little over half of that? Anyway does anyone know how many bosses there are in this game?

Radec

Fair enough. I'll leave the thread. It's a good game, but I find the violence...just really really unsettling. Especially in the Hercules video, and the video Adam was complaining about. AND then what seals it is the..."Bros before Hos" achievement. Really? I guess I'm just getting older.

Have you seen the Bros Before Hos video?

If not, then you should. Sessler is being overdramatic and so are you.

God of War is obviously not for you, and that's fine.
Just dont bitch about it here just because its too gorey for you.

Franchise fatique would be when GOW fans are stale of GOW. As AGOW fan i expect evolution and refinement of GOW games. I expect continue evolution in gameplay etc. But these evolution will never make the impact of originals. henece the lower scores. But again for GOW fans we are absolutely fine with these evolution.

i rather see SSM make a new IP if they want big changes and leave my GOW within its universe.

My point was that low score isnt about fatique as its about impact which the sequels generally lack. Look what the hell happened to Killzone franchise. try to change the core and meantime just completly turned off the origanal killzone fans. This was for gow fans. I believe SSM and todd already knew there limits.
Tell that to Resident Evil 4 or CoD4 or FFXII or Mario Galaxy which were extremely well received after making changes to a stale formula.

Between the PlayStation All Stars DLC and the fun looking co-op multiplayer it's looking really hard to avoid this game come Tuesday... I'm trying to wait for games to go on sale more often, that $60 is a tough purchase

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
the crazy thing is I still don't know how some of the elemental blades yield orbs. the Hades blade supposed to give you green orbs but ive use magic attacks, finished enemies off and used rage powers on them using only the Hades blades and still haven't got anything. Clearly im doing something wrong.

Also the final boss battle looks incredible. Its better than the Poseidon battle imo.

Is it mechanically better than Poseidon? Because from a gameplay perspective there's not much there.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I always preferred the Colossus of Rhodes opening to the Poseidon one. Both get points over the Hydra though, just because I can use my whole damn moveset instead of just square square triangle x infinity

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Why does it have to be for the fans specifically? I'm using it to mean the same thing, I'm just applying it to reviewers. Also, if you define fans as people who don't get tired of the same core game with small changes, then how can fans ever feel franchise fatigue? I don't think your definition works.

I guess maybe you're talking about diminishing returns, which is also clearly affecting the GOW series (as it does any long series), but the difference in our positions is that I think diminishing returns are what cause franchise fatigue. They're closely related concepts.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I always preferred the Colossus of Rhodes opening to the Poseidon one. Both get points over the Hydra though, just because I can use my whole damn moveset instead of just square square triangle x infinity

I think as a mechanical boss battle and as a level I like the Colossus more. Going inside him, the soundtrack there, then getting crushed by his hand. The opening cinematic was great, too, with Kratos shrinking down and then you start playing seamlessly, your gold-ass blades making clanking sounds with little hit-pauses all over those soldiers.

I might just have fonder memories of GOW2 than GOW3 because it surpassed my expectations and no GOW game will be able to do that again. But maybe GOW2 has intangible qualities that simply aren't present in 3.

Robot Pants

Popping it in..downloading patch....
Already UC2 is better.

SSM really needs to find a better balance between these day 1 patches and gameplay like the UC series did. The pacing is perfect unlike god of war.

The combat is nothing to write home about . SSM should really hand the next entry to Platinum and let them work their magic.

I'm hoping they take notes from the Souls series and stop hand holding with all these QTEs on screen.

Gaming sucks and is dead.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I've always felt the same, loved the way they handled that. Both the fight with the statue itself, taking it down from inside, and the sheer amount of ground covered during it all. I barely remember the actual fight itself with posiden, only the QTE.

Derrick01

Banned
Hmm I think my store might be doing a midnight launch now. The auto text message I got said it'll be available at 12:01am Tuesday morning, though I'm not sure if that's just a generic message they sent to everyone because some stores are doing a midnight launch.

Hmm I think my store might be doing a midnight launch now. The auto text message I got said it'll be available at 12:01am Tuesday morning, though I'm not sure if that's just a generic message they sent to everyone because some stores are doing a midnight launch.

Mine is, but I generally don't go to midnight releases. The few times in the past that I have, I just end up standing around with creeps and weirdos. Seriously, some of those people freak me the fuck out.

I love that it's not just a boss fight, but it's an opening level like GoW1, and the Colossus is just this giant thing you handle occasionally. Maybe his eye is in the doorway, and you smack him and he buzzes off for awhile. Or suddenly his foot comes smashing through the door and you THROW him off your back, and then just proceed through the level. Or he throws you across the city after the first scuffle. It's just a great back and forth playful energy, and I love going inside the actual thing.

And the ending is just hilarious to me. Kratos is shittalking to nobody in particular, with the giant Colossus hand slowly coming down annnnnd BOOM, he gets the last laugh.

Derrick01

Banned
Mine is, but I generally don't go to midnight releases. The few times in the past that I have, I just end up standing around with creeps and weirdos. Seriously, some of those people freak me the fuck out.

I've only been to a couple and they were both sad in different ways. The fallout 3 launch was me and only 2 other guys standing out in ~30 degree weather for 2 hours and the modern warfare 2 launch was, as you can probably guess, filled with about 300 assholes. Now that I think about those times I kind of want to stay home now :lol

beast786

Why does it have to be for the fans specifically? I'm using it to mean the same thing, I'm just applying it to reviewers. Also, if you define fans as people who don't get tired of the same core game with small changes, then how can fans ever feel franchise fatigue? I don't think your definition works.

I guess maybe you're talking about diminishing returns, which is also clearly affecting the GOW series (as it does any long series), but the difference in our positions is that I think diminishing returns are what cause franchise fatigue. They're closely related concepts.

I think as a mechanical boss battle and as a level I like the Colossus more. Going inside him, the soundtrack there, then getting crushed by his hand. The opening cinematic was great, too, with Kratos shrinking down and then you start playing seamlessly, your gold-ass blades making clanking sounds with little hit-pauses all over those soldiers.

I might just have fonder memories of GOW2 than GOW3 because it surpassed my expectations and no GOW game will be able to do that again. But maybe GOW2 has intangible qualities that simply aren't present in 3.

There is an obvious fatique factor in games. but having last game 3 years ago and only 3 so far in 8 years is not even close for me to be fatique in preperation for GOWA. Also keep in mind that these have been single player games only, so technically even if you have played them couple of times each, in 8 years that is really not that much.

I am not even close to being in GOW fatique. My point is that sequels in general are limited by there IP and fan base. Look at any thread that is about a possible big game announcement, majority of people are asking for sequel, and pretty much refinement. I really understand the review and the scores. As a gow fan, none bothered me or made me any less excited. Because that is what GOW i love and wanted.

As per diminish return? I am not sure if you put user base of console as a factor, that gow3 did as well as any other gow sales wise. In fact , i expect same for this GOWA. People think it will be a let down, but i expect it to be within the rest of GOW games.

njean777

I've only been to a couple and they were both sad in different ways. The fallout 3 launch was me and only 2 other guys standing out in ~30 degree weather for 2 hours and the modern warfare 2 launch was, as you can probably guess, filled with about 300 assholes. Now that I think about those times I kind of want to stay home now :lol

Yeah I never go to midnight releases, way to many weird or dickish people around.

Mik_Pad

Banned
Popping it in..downloading patch....
Already UC2 is better.

SSM really needs to find a better balance between these day 1 patches and gameplay like the UC series did. The pacing is perfect unlike god of war.

The combat is nothing to write home about . SSM should really hand the next entry to Platinum and let them work their magic.

I'm hoping they take notes from the Souls series and stop hand holding with all these QTEs on screen.

Gaming sucks and is dead.

You Sir I give you a 3/3.

Robot Pants

It's really hard to find a game that screws up sound so badly now a days. This is unacceptable. Whoever did this mixing should be fired.
Automatically makes this game a D+

Nizz

Between the PlayStation All Stars DLC and the fun looking co-op multiplayer it's looking really hard to avoid this game come Tuesday... I'm trying to wait for games to go on sale more often, that $60 is a tough purchase
I know, I'm itching to pull the trigger on either this or Tomb Raider but lately I've been buying games at discounted prices. Been a while since I've bought a game day one at full price.

Decisions...

TEH-CJ

Banned
OMG I cant get over how incredible god of war 3 is! this game has aged like a fine wine!

seriously got better with age this game, holy shit!

I know we are supposed to be talking about Ascension here but god damn God of war 3 is going to be hard to beat. It is the epitome of epic!

I think if it wasn't for the awful labryinth level it would be my favourite game of all time.

meta4

OMG I cant get over how incredible god of war 3 is! this game has aged like a fine wine!

I know we are supposed to be talking about Ascension here but god damn God of war 3 is going to be hard to beat. It is the epitome of epic!

I think if it wasn't for the awful labryinth level it would be my favourite game of all time.

GOW3 is an incredible game. After seeing the boss fights of ascension I can now appreciate the GOW3 boss fights that much more. They are incredible. When Kratos goes one on one with Hercules with the rage of sparta theme playing in the background --- Sheer bliss!!

Yup, I went back to God of War 3 after playing Ascension's demo and it's still fantastic. I actually really liked the labyrinth, too. >.> Favourite game in the series, for my money. Incredible graphics, my favourite rendition of the combat (love that combat grapple, and the extra weapons are generally just as great to use as the Blades of Exile) and stuffed with great boss battles.

I should probably play through Ghost of Sparta before my copy of Ascension turns up.

TEH-CJ

Banned
GOW3 is an incredible game. After seeing the boss fights of ascension I can now appreciate the GOW3 boss fights that much more. They are incredible. When Kratos goes one on one with Hercules with the rage of sparta theme playing in the background --- Sheer bliss!!

Hell yea man. God of war 3 probably has the best bosses in the series in my opinion.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm still not a huge fan of 3, I felt it was very uneven overall back when I first played it and still do now. It does have my personal highs of the series(Hercules and Hades), but also my lowest lows(Scorpion, Chronos, HOPEHOPEHOPE plotline garbage).

2 is still the game for Ascension to top, for my taste. Had the best sense of adventure and a large cast of greek mythology pop ups which is some of my favorite parts about the series.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Yup, I went back to God of War 3 after playing Ascension's demo and it's still fantastic. I actually really liked the labyrinth, too. >.> Favourite game in the series, for my money. Incredible graphics, my favourite rendition of the combat (love that combat grapple, and the extra weapons are generally just as great to use as the Blades of Exile) and stuffed with great boss battles.

I should probably play through Ghost of Sparta before my copy of Ascension turns up.

Yeah, definitely play ghost of Sparta man. You will love it.

GoW3 definitely has a lot of things I like, and it looks incredible, but it's a very uneven game for me, too. The auto-target for the grabs SUCK in GoW3, the Scorpion boss is the WORST boss in the entire series, Hope stuff sucks, Rage of Sparta sucks ass and is even blockable(what the hell!?), the magic is boring, the final gauntlet is a chore, the twenty minutes of running forward/cutscene at the end, unskippable cutscenes...seems kinda rushed in some ways. Some boring stretches in there, too.

GoW2 is the pinnacle for me. From the time you get to the the island all the way until the final boss with Zeus is just one great chapter after another. The pacing is absolutely phenomenal right up there with RE4 honestly, best magic, most refined combat of the series, largest variety of environments to give that epic adventure feeling, great bosses, longest game in the series...it's really just the complete package.

Robot Pants

Yea well so far GOW3 walks all over ascension. This game is not looking good and I've only pass the prologue.
A little early to judge the whole thing but god damn that sound! It's too awful. It feels like the game is still in beta and not even finished

GoW3 definitely has a lot of things I like, and it looks incredible, but it's a very uneven game for me, too. The auto-target for the grabs SUCK in GoW3, the Scorpion boss is the WORST boss in the entire series, Hope stuff sucks, Rage of Sparta sucks ass and is even blockable(what the hell!?), the magic is boring, the final gauntlet is a chore, the twenty minutes of running forward/cutscene at the end, unskippable cutscenes...seems kinda rushed in some ways. Some boring stretches in there, too.

GoW2 is the pinnacle for me. From the time you get to the the island all the way until the final boss with Zeus is just one great chapter after another. The pacing is absolutely phenomenal right up there with RE4 honestly, best magic, most refined combat of the series, largest variety of environments to give that epic adventure feeling, great bosses, longest game in the series...it's really just the complete package.

I really need to play GoW2 again. Only time through was in one sitting but a few hours into it I started coming down with an awful case of the flu. Can't remember much about it because of that.

Sounds like the difficulty spikes might get me to play on normal. I usually play games on normal but took a chance with GOW3 and it took me 22 hours to beat. I essentially struggled on every major encounter and most regular encounters too.

It was both a revelatory and extremely frustrating experience. I can picture it now, whichever mode I choose I will regret. Play on normal and beat the game in 10 hours but is it as satisfying? Or play the game on Hard and take another 20+ hours to complete but does the struggle overshadow the games pacing and adventure? I wish there was an inbetween.

Just_Tank

Our Day 1 patch has everything to do with getting more time after manufacturing to polish our Multiplayer system, and catch a few additional bugs.

The perception that a Day 1 patch is somehow related to "low quality" is not the case here, not the case at all.

Having worked in this industry for 9 years, 6 1/2 of which were on a little PC title called Command & Conquer, trust me, I know a few things about patching and support =)

Our Day 1 patch is 100MB, a far cry from some that make you hit the coffee machine before you hit the Start button.

I will publish our patch notes tomorrow (Monday). Not to say the proof is in the pudding by any means or set your expectations any higher, but simply to say, a Day 1 patch is not always a negative. In our case, our Day 1 patch is a result of wanting more time after our imminent deadline to hit manufacturing, to polish additional systems and balance.

It won't be a catch-all for everyone, but it will be worth the short download for those connected.

Patch = Support = glad they didn't throw the towel in 4 weeks ago and hit the Bahamas =)

Thanks,
Tank

sinnergy

Our Day 1 patch has everything to do with getting more time after manufacturing to polish our Multiplayer system, and catch a few additional bugs.

The perception that a Day 1 patch is somehow related to "low quality" is not the case here, not the case at all.

Having worked in this industry for 9 years, 6 1/2 of which were on a little PC title called Command & Conquer, trust me, I know a few things about patching and support =)

Our Day 1 patch is 100MB, a far cry from some that make you hit the coffee machine before you hit the Start button.

I will publish our patch notes tomorrow (Monday). Not to say the proof is in the pudding by any means or set your expectations any higher, but simply to say, a Day 1 patch is not always a negative. In our case, our Day 1 patch is a result of wanting more time after our imminent deadline to hit manufacturing, to polish additional systems and balance.

It won't be a catch-all for everyone, but it will be worth the short download for those connected.

Patch = Support = glad they didn't throw the towel in 4 weeks ago and hit the Bahamas =)

Thanks,
Tank

And that's the way the cookie crumbles! Awesome post.

Sidzed2

Thanks,
Tank

Any chance that a sloppy sound mix could conceivably be addressed by patch?

One of the things I missed from GoW3 was the number of bosses in GoW2. I think 2 had more than a dozen of them and all of them were great, while 3 had like a little over half of that? Anyway does anyone know how many bosses there are in this game?

there are about
4 boss fights

Top Bottom