• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

Sidzed2

God Of War 3 has no flaws. It is simply one of the best games to be played this generation.

I love God of War 3, but no flaws? Hardly. The underground labyrinth is really uninspiring, both from an artistic and gameplay perspective, while the ending is fairly uninspiring. The biggest issue with God of War 3 is that it actually gets ever so slightly worse as it goes on, before limping to the finish.

I still think God of War 2 might be the best of the lot.

Jacob4815

The hilarious thing?

Probably the social game "Rise of the Warrior" had better ideas than the game itself.. better encounters (the Guardian Snake to fight, the Giant Cerberus, the lady of the sea) and better story (Circe was an amazing character).

TEH-CJ

Banned
God Of War 3 has no flaws. It is simply one of the best games to be played this generation.

Its a fucking masterpiece man. Simply incredible.

Still the best looking game this gen by far. Not even crysis 3 on console is better. Seriously seeing this on my calibrated gt30 panny is a sight to behold.

Cesar

Banned
H-O-L-Y CRAP at the final boss. This kind of visuals tops even the mighty GoW3. Incredible, almost can't believe this is running on a PS3.

meta4

I believe there is a bit of overrating going on in this thread.

Nope. If you are talking about GOW3 it deserved the universal acclaim and every sale that it got. Sure it may not have been as consistent as GOW2 but its high's are so high that it almost demolishes every other epic moment from the rest of the series. An absolutely brilliant action game.

This game however....

r.gun

Neo Member
I thought it was interesting that during the course of Ascension Kratos is

spoilers

repairing things in the world, like the aqueducts and statue of Apollo rather than destroying everything like in past games.

velociraptor

I love God of War 3, but no flaws? Hardly. The underground labyrinth is really uninspiring, both from an artistic and gameplay perspective, while the ending is fairly uninspiring. The biggest issue with God of War 3 is that it actually gets ever so slightly worse as it goes on, before limping to the finish.

I still think God of War 2 might be the best of the lot.

Perhaps my comment was somewhat hyperbolic, but it is one of the few games that I enjoyed from start to finish.

God Of War 3 is like a book that you just can't put down.

Yes, the labyrinth was uninspiring, but on the whole, I'd consider it one of the best single player experiences to be played.

Its a fucking masterpiece man. Simply incredible.

Still the best looking game this gen by far. Not even crysis 3 on console is better. Seriously seeing this on my calibrated gt30 panny is a sight to behold.
Yep. I too think it is the best looking game. The IQ is simply amazing.

Crysis 3 looks awful on the consoles. Sure, it has fancy effects, but it's sub HD, runs at 20FPS and looks blurry as hell.

Robot Pants

Well my opinion of the game seems to have gotten slightly better. The combat is.... Interesting. Can be satisfying but really only one of the elements for the blades seems useful.
The lack of music really dampens the whole experience.

meta4

Well my opinion of the game seems to have gotten slightly better. The combat is.... Interesting. Can be satisfying but really only one of the elements for the blades seems useful.
The lack of music really dampens the whole experience.

In your opinion do you think it has more depth and potential than GOW3's combat system?

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
there's a full walktrough of the game on this youtube account, it does not belong to me, i was looking for a walktrough and found out that that this account has a walktrough of the whole game so is obvious to note that this contains SPOILERS, watch at your own risk

this link will direct you to the first part of the walktrough

WATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK,SPOILERS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMIRLOwOB5I

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's really hard to find a game that screws up sound so badly now a days. This is unacceptable. Whoever did this mixing should be fired.
Automatically makes this game a D+
That's a god damned shame.

I wouldn't knock it down so severely but it will definitely impact the experience. I also felt that God of War 3 lacked a quality audio mix but Ascension is even worse.

I'm really surprised that it sounds so bad. I don't understand how they allowed this to happen.

Tankshell

It's really hard to find a game that screws up sound so badly now a days. This is unacceptable. Whoever did this mixing should be fired.

Mass Effect 3 springs to mind. Audio in the key sequences of that game were beyond terrible.

Derrick01

Banned

Really? Because the kid is awful and ruins the last 20% of the game and the parts between the bosses are not very good.

It has some of the highest highs of the series but a lot of the parts in between the bosses are boring and not paced well.

there's a full walktrough of the game on this youtube account, it does not belong to me, i was looking for a walktrough and found out that that this account has a walktrough of the whole game so is obvious to note that this contains SPOILERS, watch at your own risk

this link will direct you to the first part of the walktrough

WATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK,SPOILERS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMIRLOwOB5I

So it's between 4-5 hours long? That's not too bad, are there any single player challenges, additional modes or stuff like smart spawn to increase replayability?

meta4

Really? Because the kid is awful and ruins the last 20% of the game and the parts between the bosses are not very good.

It has some of the highest highs of the series but a lot of the parts in between the bosses are boring and not paced well.

They are not worse than the sequences between bosses in other GOW games ( except GOW2 ) IMO. It is just that the high's are so freakin high in GOW3 that even a decent/ good filler seems boring.

Mik_Pad

Banned
What do you mean? It seems short based on the walkthrough, I'm simply asking if they've added features to help increase replayability or are they relying wholly on multiplayer to fill the gap.
I think they confirmed the game is 8+ hours long.
Edit: I think you wew confused of GoW because 4-5 h long for a $60 game is bad.

Kotaku's reviewer clocked 12 h. Don't judge based on a youtube video.

So 8 to 12 hours seems to be the norm? Fair enough, it's just that the walkthrough on youtube didn't appear to be a speedrun, so I assumed there might be some additional modes, etc to help increase replayability.

Nope. Just a regular playthrough.

Anyone beating it in 4-5 hours has probably played it through already, IMO.

Thanks. I suppose that's the likely scenario, 4-5hrs did seem on the short side as there's no additional challenge modes, etc.

Mik_Pad

Banned
So 8 to 12 hours seems to be the norm? Fair enough, it's just that the walkthrough on youtube didn't appear to be a speedrun, so I assumed there might be some additional modes, etc to help increase replayability.
There is a coop horde and the challenge of the gods (I hope).

Edit: Maybe Nofi can confirm the latter.

There is a coop horde and the challenge of the gods (I hope).

I'd forgotten about co-op, thanks for the reminder.

Has there been any suggestion there would be a challenge of the ... mode in this? I had a blast with Challenge of Olympus in 3.

He is playing on easy.

Oh he is? I checked the video description, but there was no mention of which difficulty he was playing on.

ced

I'd forgotten about co-op, thanks for the reminder.

Has there been any suggestion there would be a challenge of the ... mode in this? I had a blast with Challenge of Olympus in 3.

Oh he is? I checked the video description, but there was no mention of which difficulty he was playing on.

Yeah watch the first video, he selects easy real quick. You can tell by watching the game anyways.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Took me 12 hours as well. I think I spent 1 hour in that Trails of Archimedes, but overall it isn't that short.

Salz01

I'm going to be irritated if I find out that the focus on MP, hurt the the SP experience. I don't come for the MP stuff with this series. Put that shit into some other game. What I played in the beta is just 'ehhh'.

Just finished the game. Took me 9 hours and 11 minutes on Normal and I was very thorough (found all the feathers and eyes etc.). The opening was spectacular and the ending was too, but everything in between was just average. Battle mechanics were great as always but there wasn't much variety and that made the game boring. Sound/music was fucked up at some points. I ran into a couple of nasty glitches that made progress impossible. I had to reload checkpoint about 6 times during one elevator ride because an enemy fell right through the elevator platform before I could finish it off...thus the door at the top didn't open.

I gotta say it was entertaining though. Graphics were superb, propably the best I've seen on consoles so far. Art was fantastic too. Puzzles and the new abilities were a breath of fresh air, I think they really nailed it. Difficulty was nicely balanced or atleast I didn't notice any significant spikes. Finally the story did make sense so it wasn't a mess after all. Earlier I said that this seems like a true God of War game, but it's just a decent action game in the clothes of GoW.

If you're going just for the single player, I'd suggest renting this one.

Just finished the game. Took me 9 hours and 11 minutes on Normal and I was very thorough (found all the feathers and eyes etc.). The opening was spectacular and the ending was too, but everything in between was just average. Battle mechanics were great as always but there wasn't much variety and that made the game boring. Sound/music was fucked up at some points. I ran into a couple of nasty glitches that made progress impossible. I had to reload checkpoint about 6 times during one elevator ride because an enemy fell right through the elevator platform before I could finish it off...thus the door at the top didn't open.

I gotta say it was entertaining though. Graphics were superb, propably the best I've seen on consoles so far. Art was fantastic too. Puzzles and the new abilities were a breath of fresh air, I think they really nailed it. Difficulty was nicely balanced or atleast I didn't notice any significant spikes. Finally the story did make sense so it wasn't a mess after all. Earlier I said that this seems like a true God of War game, but it's just a decent action game in the clothes of GoW.

Thanks for the impressions (same for all the others who posted).
Still seems like a solid GoW game worth buying day 1. Shame about the bugs though, GoW games are usually very polished.

Endo Punk

Well I decided to watch the ending and err it's just so-so. Even the boss didn't strike me as anything special, it was simply a spectacle. Say what you want about Zeus in GOWIII but at least there is some meaty gameplay to be had when facing him. The audio and soundtrack is also pretty bland here. I think Sony really needs to put GOW on ice for 5 years. SSM seems tired of it because I don't see the passion like in past games, it's really like the game is in cruise control and trying to hit the bullet points of what people expect from the franchise except what worked in past games has been played out by now in GOW and various other cinematic driven games.

I really hope SSM work on a new IP next because I hate to say it but GOW definitely feels milked and is running out of ideas. Bigger set pieces and better graphics don't cut it now, that's the franchise standard for 7 years and I'd like to see it rise above that now.

Jac_Solar

Just got the game in the mail, and it says it includes a Last of Us demo? Is this currently available or just a pre-release notice or something?

Koralsky

Well I decided to watch the ending and err it's just so-so. Even the boss didn't strike me as anything special, it was simply a spectacle. Say what you want about Zeus in GOWIII but at least there is some meaty gameplay to be had when facing him. The audio and soundtrack is also pretty bland here.

Ок.

Well I decided to watch the ending and err it's just so-so. Even the boss didn't strike me as anything special, it was simply a spectacle. Say what you want about Zeus in GOWIII but at least there is some meaty gameplay to be had when facing him. The audio and soundtrack is also pretty bland here. I think Sony really needs to put GOW on ice for 5 years. SSM seems tired of it because I don't see the passion like in past games, it's really like the game is in cruise control and trying to hit the bullet points of what people expect from the franchise except what worked in past games has been played out by now in GOW and various other cinematic driven games.

I really hope SSM work on a new IP next because I hate to say it but GOW definitely feels milked and is running out of ideas. Bigger set pieces and better graphics don't cut it now, that's the franchise standard for 7 years and I'd like to see it rise above that now.

watching it and playing it are two totally different experiences.

I had the same issue at the elevator part. The game is weird in the sense that its feels super polished and unpolished at the same time if that makes sense. Graphically some parts are absolutely stunning as well. I also liked the item abilities but felt they were under used fore the boss battles and didnt offer up as many combo abilities as I would have liked. Im suprised you thought the plot was good, i thought the way they layed it out was terrible and half the game you are being ushered from place to place without a proper explanation...

Just got the game in the mail, and it says it includes a Last of Us demo? Is this currently available or just a pre-release notice or something?

We were supposed to be getting access to it in April but now we'll have to wait untill May 31, which is 2 weeks before the game's release, rendering the whole thing pointless. They will put the demo on PSN before the game is released anyway so early access here means a week at best.
The revengeance demo that came with the ZOE HD collection, now that was early access. Considering that GoWA releases a full 3 months before TLOU you'd think we'd be playing the demo at least a month in advance but yeah...

In the demo, when I played with headphones the audio issues disappeared. It's a weird issue to have in a triple A game though :/

These impressions :(

Oh well can't stop me from being excited more god of war is good god of war.

Top Bottom