• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

As many expected, they clearly focused on MP for this game, such a huge lackluster of epicness, hardly any "Holy shit" moments in SP.

No point in getting down on it before you even play it. I think most of us are going to play both modes anyway. So it's not like it's going to be a wasted purchase.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I played the SP demo a couple of weeks ago, and certainly was impressed by it, although the combat seemed a bit chaotic at times due to the camera being too far away.

Yes the demo level is one of the few high points in the game.

No point in getting down on it before you even play it. I think most of us are going to play both modes anyway. So it's not like it's going to be a wasted purchase.

I finished it 2 hours ago.

Sid

Get ready to be disappointed GAF. Seriously, i doubt anyone really enjoys Ascension's single player.

As many expected, they clearly focused on MP for this game, such a huge lackluster of epicness, hardly any "Holy shit" moments in SP.

Ah well, the 3+ years wait for the next GoW begins now.
Heck even the MP uses recycled maps from GoW III.Oh so you're done with the game then,give us your GoW rankings.

Sid

GoW 2 > GoW: GoS > GoW 3 > GoW 1 > GoW: A > GoW: CoO
Well within a few hours I'll be playing this myself but if the impressions are anything to go by I have set my expectations way low now,if I find it just as disappointing the next GoW will have a lot to live up to for me at least.

Yeah I really dislike that that type of post.
It really doesn't matter how good the MP is because we play GoW for the epic SP first and foremost,personally MP is just a nice distraction and I say that as I was in the Beta.

Sn4ke_911

Really? That's very disconcerting.

How long did it take you to finish? I know you're pretty down on the game, but what's replayability like?

IIRC it took me around 8 hours on normal. As for replayability, i wouldn't play it again.

but i'm looking forward to play few rounds MP. Really liked the beta.

It really doesn't matter how good the MP is because we play GoW for the epic SP first and foremost,personally MP is just a nice distraction and I say that as I was in the Beta.
Exactly.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Are the puzzles in the game good? I thought GoW2 had some really nice ones, and 3 while maybe not on the same level, still had few good ones.

IIRC it took me around 8 hours on normal. As for replayability, i wouldn't play it again.

but i'm looking forward to play few rounds MP. Really liked the beta.

Thanks. I've loved virtually every entry so far, so will keep my pre-order for Friday, but thankfully I've been able to adjust my expectations somewhat thanks to you and others.

Redbox ftw. It's spring break here so I'm assuming it's gonna be tough to get. Lucky me there are a lot around my house and my work area.

EDIT: Will wait till mutli goes F2P!.

Sn4ke_911

oh, well then. Was it good, at least?

Did you read my posts?

Sn4ke_911 said:
Get ready to be disappointed GAF. Seriously, i doubt anyone really enjoys Ascension's single player.

Ah well, the 3+ years wait for the next GoW begins now.

Sn4ke_911 said:
GoW 2 > GoW: GoS > GoW 3 > GoW 1 > GoW: A > GoW: CoO

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm not going to let the impressions get me down. I wasn't expecting this to be another GoW3 in terms of awe. I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to GoW so as long as it's better than CoO I'll be happy.

Loudninja

I'm not going to let the impressions get me down. I wasn't expecting this to be another GoW3 in terms of awe. I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to GoW so as long as it's better than CoO I'll be happy.
Its pretty silly to expect something like GOW3 when its a prequel.

I am sure I am going to be satisfied with this game like I am with all of them.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Fucking Best Buy

The warehouse hasn't received copies... Are you fucking kidding me

I paid the extra shipping to have it beat my door on the 12th, now they have no clue

Such Bullshit

Can't be worse than CoO

That's the one GoW I wouldn't even call "good". Maybe I should replay GoS, but CoO was such a downgrade in just about every area. Dem PSP limitations.

Sidzed2

Its pretty silly to expect something like GOW3 when its a prequel.

I am sure I am going to be satisfied with this game like I am with all of them.

Then the obvious question is: why a prequel? Everybody, and I mean everybody, could reasonably expect SSM to try and top themselves after GoW3.

Zen

Banned
God of War III had so many level design and pacing issues... if you like getting distracted by spectacle I guess. But that's really only the ending and begginning of the game, so props?

I find that very hard to believe.

Yeah, a very weird definition of high points.

Derrick01

Banned
Disappointment seems to be the common theme I'm seeing already. Guess this will probably be a platinum and trade in immediately game.

Zen

Banned
Yeah, CoO isn't good. Funnily enough I think that GoS is the best one.

CoO > GoWII. It was a more pure God of War game where as two really fucked up with the combat, story, and art design being so erratic. Plus CoO had one of the best sub weapomns in the series (better than Cestus in GoWIII).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
CoO > GoWII. It was a more pure God of War game where as two really fucked up with the combat, story, and art design being so erratic. Plus CoO had one of the best sub weapomns in the series (better than Cestus in GoWIII).

I was too busy getting stunlocked to even notice.

Loudninja

The Cestus was much better than that weapon.

KalBalboa

Banned
From what I've played, it's really, really hard to rank the God of War games in any order. I thought the original God of War would be at the bottom of my list until I replayed the HD version a few months back on my Vita.

I had such a blast playing God of War 3 last year with my buddy that I can't find many reasons to personally tax it, and obviously God of War II and Chains of Olympus are dynamite games too. I need to play Ghost of Sparta sometime. GoW III's boss fights, the grab-charge-throw move, that opening... 3 might be my personal favorite.

Zen

Banned
I was too busy getting stunlocked to even notice.

The only problem with CoO was the combo counter being entirely too harsh. The design between it and GoS in terms of stun locking is pretty similar.

The Cestus was much better than that weapon.

Cestus is awkward in comparison with large vulnerability windows and much less of the flexibility. The awkward long animations is a problem with all of the combat in GoWIII and that's why they've sped things up with Ascension, so I can't really give the Cestus over the CoO weapon when the CoO weapon worked much better and was more diverse than Cestus. It also mimicked how Zeus fights, what with the charging mechanic for virtually everything. It was just an all around awesome sub weapon.

I could care less about multiplayer, i buy god of war games for their amazing story. It just kills me thinking that the sp could have been more polished, longer and better if they have just went with sp only.

KalBalboa

Banned
I know some people liked the multiplayer which is fine. It's just that i didn't like it.

That's fine and all, but don't assume that adding multiplayer to a package somehow hurts the campaign. I think SSM has done enough God of War campaigns to know what they're doing. Look at Uncharted 2 for an example of adding multiplayer to a solid campaign franchise.

Sid

That's fine and all, but don't assume that adding multiplayer to a package somehow hurts the campaign. I think SSM has done enough God of War campaigns to know what they're doing. Look at Uncharted 2 for an example of adding multiplayer to a solid campaign franchise.
But that's the thing,unlike Uncharted 2 the first entry of the GoW franchise which has MP is the lowest rated one,coincidence?

Zen

Banned
Probably? There are many reasons that could be the case. Franchise fatigue (I don't understand it with respect to God of War but you can see a similar decline in other big franchises), reviewers being sick of this generation for having gone on too long and so on.

Best campaign in the franchise, although 1 is arguably better from a narrative/cohesiveness standpoint.

Loudninja

But that's the thing,unlike Uncharted 2 the first entry of the GoW franchise is the lowest rated one,coincidence?
Are we really going to sit here and do this?

Scores means absolute nothing, it could be for a number of reasons.
Yeah this is what I was talking about.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I'll take the bait and ask how GOWII's combat was in any way "fucked up" compared to GOW1 or CoO. And the art design? What's the problem there?

I do like the Gauntlet of Zeus a lot.

But that's the thing,unlike Uncharted 2 the first entry of the GoW franchise which has MP is the lowest rated one,coincidence?

We have 2 data points. There is no pattern. So yes, it could easily be a coincidence.

Top Bottom