• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

Jigolo

Just got my e-mail from Amazon. Turns out I'm getting it launch day, w00t. I was expecting Thursday but Amazon FTW.

GoW3 had a similar polished but unpolished issue. Like, damn everything is so pretty, but you can stand right in the middle of save points and the button prompt doesn't show up and you can't save.

Endo Punk

The game seems oddly rushed as well. Talk of all these glitches, audio problems and the story in general doesn't feel fully formed as I would have liked.

Batman

Banned
Now I am going to wait for a patch for them to fix the sound issues before I buy. I am holding out on buying Dead Space 3 for the glitches and save problems alone. I don't understand how these companies send a game to get printed knowing that the game isn't complete, deadlines are horrible for the industry.

test_account

XP-39C²
My body is ready :)

jLUWYpjbeO7Vh.jpg

(one copy to play, and one copy for collection purpose).

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I know exactly how GOW plays and Im just not seeing anything fresh here to warrant another purchase. I'll just stick with the trilogy until next gen when I hope SSM really goes above and beyond.

Back in 2005, I watched some videos of Resident Evil 4 and thought, "this doesn't look that great, I wonder why it's so highly acclaimed."

Playing is different from watching. It's the difference between "knowing" and "feeling" and that difference can be huge.

Endo Punk

Back in 2005, I watched some videos of Resident Evil 4 and thought, "this doesn't look that great, I wonder why it's so highly acclaimed."

Playing is different from watching. It's the difference between "knowing" and "feeling" and that difference can be huge.

RE4 was such a huge change that really needed to be played to understand. GOWA is just another standard GOW which is to to say it's still good but Im done with the same formula and setting. It doesn't feel compelling at all even for the story and I really liked the story in the trilogy.

I was watching that shit back in '05, saw all that hype about it, thinking, "Maaaan, Ninja Gaiden Black and DMC3 are way faster than this shit! What's the deal here?"

LOL '05 me

Endo Punk

I too watched gameplay of RE4 in 2005 and I was blown away by how engrossing it felt and the over the shoulder view, finally a camera angle that combines TPS and FPS into a perfect middle ground.

test_account

XP-39C²
Now I am going to wait for a patch for them to fix the sound issues before I buy. I am holding out on buying Dead Space 3 for the glitches and save problems alone. I don't understand how these companies send a game to get printed knowing that the game isn't complete, deadlines are horrible for the industry.
There is patch 1.01 out (107MB). Not sure what it fixes though. I didnt try the demo, so i cant compare.

Thanks, didn't know about that. Nice :)
No problem :) You access (or at least download, i havnt tried it yet) the demo from the main menu of God of War: ascension.

Im suprised you thought the plot was good, i thought the way they layed it out was terrible and half the game you are being ushered from place to place without a proper explanation...

I didn't say the plot was good! =) I just meant that towards the end the pieces just clicked together and you could see some sense in it. At first I had no idea fucking idea why Kratos was going there and doing this and that.

By the way, has someone else played this with a launch day PS3? Mine was obviously under a lot of stress each time I entered into large environments. Fans started to spin like crazy and the sound was unbeliavable. Pausing the game for few minutes or going indoors made it go away.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
RE4 was such a huge change that really needed to be played to understand. GOWA is just another standard GOW which is to to say it's still good but Im done with the same formula and setting. It doesn't feel compelling at all even for the story and I really liked the story in the trilogy.

If story is what draws you to GOW, then I can absolutely see why you'd have little interest in this one.

I'm just saying, the feeling of "fun" you get from playing isn't experienced while watching. Game experiences have intangible qualities that aren't transmitted when simply viewing. But again, if the story is what propelled you through past GOW experiences, I understand your lack of interest.

Jac_Solar

If story is what draws you to GOW, then I can absolutely see why you'd have little interest in this one.

I'm just saying, the feeling of "fun" you get from playing isn't experienced while watching. Game experiences have intangible qualities that aren't transmitted when simply viewing. But again, if the story is what propelled you through past GOW experiences, I understand your lack of interest.

This is very true, and why games should rarely be judged by simply watching or reading about them. Even playing on somebody elses' system provides a different experience.

The satisfaction of getting new items isn't worth much unless you're playing on your own system, with your save -- the sense of ownership (Even if they are nothing more than virtual items.) and satisfaction that comes with that is quite important for a wide range of games. Same goes for progression with a character you "own". I think this is also lost on many reviewers, since they are simply playing for the purpose of reviewing a game.

Ricky_R

I think more people now will appreciate the beauty that GOW3 was overall. Anyway, I gotta be honest and say that my hype is dying out a bit. Not even remotely close to being as excited as I was to play GOW3 and get it on day one.

Going by feedback on this thread of course.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm honestly having second thoughts about this but I'll keep my pre-order. At least the final boss seems to be blowing people away.

I really have to wonder what happened here.
I was expecting a GoW1-GoW2 jump here. I'm not talking about graphics, god only knows they already did the impossible with 3, I mean content. More weapons, more bosses, more enemy variety, more chapters, etc.
GoW3 was developed in parallel with the tech it's running on, how did it end up having a meatier campaign? This time they had 3 years to just focus on the game itself, I feel it's fair to expect more than what we seem to have gotten with this.

Another thing: for a game that was supposed to have the story as one of its strong points hearing all these comments is really disappointing. So much for properly exploring Krato's humanity.
Kratos seems to be a little more likable here than he does in the other games though. One problem I always had with the later games was how much of a douchebag he is. Here, he shows a bit more humanity especially
at the end with Orkos, who is about the closest Kratos has ever had to an actual friend in the games.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Well my copy is on its way, by the looks of it the game might get here before the 15th when it "officially" releases in the UK, so here's hoping. I hate that we get games later than the US and EU in the UK most of the time.

Domstercool

So I got to the point where that trophy popped up. Call me surprised when it popped up there, because that scene is nothing compared to some of the messed up stuff you got upto in GoW3.

it's not even a real death!!

And no, I aren't desensitised to violence, what a silly saying to throw out there. I'll once again say that anyone who says that to go watch that Jim Sterling video. Now THAT was one of the most shocking things I have seen, and you know why? Because it was real and looked NOTHING like the violence in a game, not one bit. Violence and gore in video games is way over dramatic.

Back to playing. :)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
So I got to the point where that trophy popped up. Call me surprised when it popped up there, because that scene is nothing compared to some of the messed up stuff you got upto in GoW3.

it's not even a real death!!

And no, I aren't desensitised to violence, what a silly saying to throw out there. I'll once again say that anyone who says that to go watch that Jim Sterling video. Now THAT was one of the most shocking things I have seen, and you know why? Because it was real and looked NOTHING like the violence in a game, not one bit. Violence and gore in video games is way over dramatic.

Back to playing. :)

What video are you referring to?

test_account

XP-39C²
I just beat the first level. I think the word 'scale' is a good word to describe it :) And without spoiling anything, i said "holy shit" at the end of the level.

ironcreed

Banned
The Gods smile upon me this day. On the way from Gamefly. But wait, perhaps they are also laughing. Because they sent me Aliens: Colonial Marines as well. LOL, seriously, just have to play that one to see for myself. But I am really looking forward to Ascension. Should be a fun and gorgeous ride.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Great, looks like my network pass code isn't working. Who should i contact with that issue?

test_account

XP-39C²
Does the Scandinavian release include the PS-All Stars character voucher?
Not from what i can see. The box says that this is included:

- Kratos Figure
- Access to all future God of War: Ascension DLC
- Mythological Heroes Multiplayer pack
- Special Edition Steel Book with: Double XP, Official Soundtrack (digital download), dynamic PS3 theme and PSN avatar pack.

Who is the PS Allstars character by the way?

Great, looks like my network pass code isn't working. Who should i contact with that issue?
No one, unless this is still the case when the game is officially released.
Yeah, these codes wont work before on launch date, it is usually like this with other games at least. I tried to redeem my codes as well, it didnt work.

ari

Banned
The game seems oddly rushed as well. Talk of all these glitches, audio problems and the story in general doesn't feel fully formed as I would have liked.

The glitches is so damn frustrating. Camera issues up the wahoo, That delphi snake train is complete botched because of it.

No one, unless this is still the case when the game is officially released.

Working on my copy. meh

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Get ready to be disappointed GAF. Seriously, i doubt anyone really enjoys Ascension's single player.

As many expected, they clearly focused on MP for this game, such a huge lackluster of epicness, hardly any "Holy shit" moments in SP.

Ah well, the 3+ years wait for the next GoW begins now.

Melchiah

Get ready to be disappointed GAF. Seriously, i doubt anyone really enjoys Ascension's single player.

As many expected, they clearly focused on MP for this game, such a huge lackluster of epicness, hardly any "Holy shit" moments in SP.

Ah well, the 3+ years wait for the next GoW begins now.

I played the SP demo a couple of weeks ago, and certainly was impressed by it, although the combat seemed a bit chaotic at times due to the camera being too far away.

Top Bottom