• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

gioGAF

I don't see how people can think that the addition of MP has not hurt the SP campaign. Diverting resources will always lead to a product of lower potential. EVERYONE could have contributed to making the SP campaign as good as possible, but not EVERYONE at SSM did.

I'm sad to see the impressions posted here :-(

I don't see how people can think that the addition of MP has not hurt the SP campaign. Diverting resources will always lead to a product of lower potential. EVERYONE could have contributed to making the SP campaign as good as possible, but not EVERYONE at SSM did.

UC2 disagrees. Plus it's 3 years. I think it's probably more likely that SSM split it's teams into GOWA and next gen.

Also some of the early reactions to GOWIII were "worst GOW game by far!" etc. etc. I'm gonna play the game - more than once - before I make up my mind. I find GOW games get better with age and replay, oddly enough.

Mik_Pad

Banned

The Dev team for Gow III 130 people and for GoW: A apparently is about 150-200 people so I don't think it should have affected as much and they had 3 years to build this game the same time they had for GoW III which was in a generational transition so basically they had less time to build GoW III since they had to develop a new engine which was already there for Ascension. I think if ascension has problem it isn't about time or resources it would be about direction and story constraints.

gioGAF

UC2 disagrees. Plus it's 3 years. I think it's probably more likely that SSM split it's teams into GOWA and next gen.
Seems like the majority of posters in this thread would probably agree with me.

I will concede that there can be exceptions, but they are very rare. Notice how everyone just keeps posting "What about Uncharted 2?", any other examples? There are also games that better lend themselves to MP, like open world games (e.g. Red Dead, GTA).

OR

The A team is working on PS4

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Seems like the majority of posters in this thread would probably agree with me.

I will concede that there can be exceptions, but they are very rare. Notice how everyone just keeps posting "What about Uncharted 2?", any other examples? There are also games that better lend themselves to MP, like open world games (e.g. Red Dead, GTA).

Mass Effect 3's multiplayer is surprisingly fun.

Robot Pants

The trail of Archimedes is gonna turn a lot of people off to this game. It's basically a showcase of how the combat doesn't mesh well at all with the enemies.

Robot Pants

Fuck, should I play the game on Normal or is this trial that difficult?

im playing my first time through on hard and the game wasn't all that bad. Until now where it ramps up out of nowhere. I'd go with Normal so you aren't stuck spending hours on this shit right as you near the end of the game.

Yeah question: for those who have played, given all the talk of the late game difficulty spike, should series vets play on normal first or hard? I've pretty much made up my mind to do it on hard, but I don't want to be super frustrated late game.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Posting for the new page.
If nobody answers you by then i'll take a look at it in a few hours ... need some sleep.

You can collect lots of stuff during the game which you can use only after beating the game.

Mik_Pad

Banned
If nobody answers you by then i'll take a look at it in a few hours ... need some sleep.

You can collect lots of stuff which you can use only after beating the game.

I thought Todd Pappy said that they changed the save system so they could implement chapter select so you can show all the COOL MOMENTS to your BROS.

Sn4ke_911

FUUUUU!!! I think I may have to play on easy then, as I don't want start over if I get stuck on normal.
Easy is very very very easy ... seriously my friend played it on easy and it's just too easy. I finished it on normal.

OSHAN

If you've beaten the other titles on Hard (or Titan, whatever it is called), would it be around the same?

I found Titan always challenging, with some combat segments difficult, but nothing on the lines of giving up.

If you've beaten the other titles on Hard (or Titan, whatever it is called), would it be around the same?

I found Titan always challenging, with some combat segments difficult, but nothing on the lines of giving up.
Apparently it's fine up until the final part of the game. You might want to tone it down for your first playthrough.

Melchiah

Easy is very very very easy ... seriously my friend played it on easy and it's just too easy. I finished it on normal.

How is it compared to GoW3? I changed from normal to easy during the crate level, as I didn't find repeating the same parts over and over again that entertaining.

Please tell me there isn't another music puzzle.

OSHAN

Apparently it's fine up until the final part of the game. You might want to tone it down for your first playthrough.

Yeah, sorry, I meant to clarify since I'm referring to that part of the game.

I'm just curious to hear from folks that have played through the previous games on TItan and how this one compares.

I suppose I'll know more in the next few days because I can't see too many reviewers playing through on Titan.

Sn4ke_911

How is it compared to GoW3? I changed from normal to easy during the crate level, as I didn't find repeating the same parts over and over again that entertaining.

Please tell me there isn't another music puzzle.
Gotta say it's been a while since i've played GoW3 so can't really remember sorry.

Valnen

At least it's a minor change due to minor backlash. They've been bigger "wait, reverse this shit!" changes from Sony

3872.610.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

People were right to complain about that. That is not Cole, it's a different person entirely. You can't change the design that drastically in a continuation of a story. Doesn't make sense.

Fact of the matter is Cole just fucking blows.

I completely and utterly disagree.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

You assume too much, you don't know that everyone who did the SP and MP would all be working on just the SP if the MP didn't exist, the same was said for other recent games that have had MP added, Tomb Raider and Mass Effect for instance, when both times it was a separate studio that would otherwise not have worked on the game anyway.

SSM is a pretty large studio, they don't all work on the same game at one time, we know they are currently working on another game for next-gen, we also know they help out what has to be like a ton of other studios; just look at the last year, their names are on 11 game titles, only 1 has actually been developed and released by SSM themselves which is GoW: Ascension.

People were right to complain about that. That is not Cole, it's a different person entirely. You can't change the design that drastically in a continuation of a story. Doesn't make sense.

I agree, if they were going to go with the redesign it should have been a new character, I was pretty happy they went back. Look at Sam Fisher in Splinter Cell and the current fuss on here, they took the voice actor that to some on here is a big part of the character, at this point to them the guy isn't even the same when visually he is, though seems to look a bit younger.

Robot Pants

Wait, I haven't checked it yet but there definitely was a Chapter Select option on the title screen.

Oh you're right. I remember seeing that. I havent beaten it yet so I have yet to use that. My bad. Well it's a God of War first. At least they have it in there to balance the auto-saves.

Sn4ke_911

I thought Todd Pappy said that they changed the save system so they could implement chapter select so you can show all the COOL MOMENTS to your BROS.
It's funny (and sad) but i don't remember any "cool moments" to show your bros besides the endboss, that's about it.

ari

Banned
How were those two hours aside from the camera issue?
I enjoyed it, It just feels like season 6 of supernatural. In which the story is no where remotely epic or exciting then the last installment.

Like i said earlier, this should have been the premiere Vita title. Everything about it screams meh.

Vire

:(

These impressions are making me very very sad.

Sony Santa Monica could do no wrong before, what happened?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
:(

These impressions are making me very very sad.

Sony Santa Monica could do no wrong before, what happened?

Well, they have kind of used up everything from Greek mythology that could go in a GoW game.

I'm not letting myself get down on the game before I play it though. I'm going in really fresh and am looking forward to it.

Vire

Well, they have kind of used up everything from Greek mythology that could go in a GoW game.

Yeah I dunno that seems like a weak excuse. They could have still had (more) or better bosses than they did, even if they weren't major gods.

The endboss is pretty much what was needed and sprinkled all throughout the game. What a shame...

Mik_Pad

Banned
Wow, smh SSM.

Why would you lower yourselves to the class of Sessler and other whiny gaffers where?

Respect -1

But im still buying your game so w/e.

To be fair it must have been a decision from higher than SMS, I think it was the smart thing to do since the internet today is full of whiners only God knows what would have happened if a ton of Gies and Sesslers would have seen the trophy lol.

ari

Banned
Yeah I dunno that seems like a weak excuse. They could have still had (more) or better bosses than they did, even if they weren't major gods.

The endboss is pretty much what was needed and sprinkled all throughout the game. What a shame...
I liked the oracle defender dude at least. Every other boss is too much of the same of the other games.

Also, me nitpicking, i absolutely hate the fucking sliding shit. It feels completely tacked on after playing tomb raider.

Sn4ke_911

Exactly, hell let me fight a freaking giant lizard or polar bear which shoots lightning bolts ... just give me anything good and fun to fight.... after beating the game i said to myself "that's it? what the hell were they doing 3+ years ... dang it i paid 70€ for this?!"
Oh well, one thing is for sure after this game i'm not in the "in SSM we trust" camp anymore.

Top Bottom