• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I could care less about multiplayer, i buy god of war games for their amazing story. It just kills me thinking that the sp could have been more polished, longer and better if they have just went with sp only.

In my playthrough i had no problems with bugs/glitches/freezes/crashes or the length of this game, it's all fine. The main problem i have is it's (believe it or not) "boring". Yes boring, there are hardly any memorably moments or bosses in this game, ok i have to say the endboss was pretty awesome and
Castor
but that's about it. Also the
elements
you get for the
chaos blades
are so badly implemented in the game... it feels so rushed. I was also surprised/shocked how often you had to climb stuff, that takes waay too long before you can get back to combat. Oh and speaking of the story... probably the weakest in the entire series.
And the enemy variety was also very disappointing. Do you like backtracking GAF? because in this game you will do it a lot and that is one of the things i really hate in games. Also the world weapons are a waste, you will miss special weapons like in previous GoW games.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Do you like backtracking GAF? because in this game you will do it a lot and that is one of the things i really hate in games.

If the backtracking is crisscrossing through an environment, like the Rings of Pandora, I have enjoyed that in previous GOW games. If it's just walking the same line through an environment in the opposite direction, that's not so great.

Three-star review incoming from Giant Bomb. Ryan sounds really lukewarm on it and Patrick made some snarky yawning gesture, so, I dunno. None of them have ever really been that enthused with the series, regardless.

Wow, sometimes the combat in this game can be frustrating as hell. So many cheap enemies with hit stuns on you, canceling out your attacks, but you can't do the same to them. Stupid.

There's an attack from those
Talos
that hits underground multiple times, and it seems unavoidable. Such a cheap ass move that locks you in a stun.

Sid

I'll take the bait and ask how GOWII's combat was in any way "fucked up" compared to GOW1 or CoO. And the art design? What's the problem there?

I do like the Gauntlet of Zeus a lot.

We have 2 data points. There is no pattern. So yes, it could easily be a coincidence.
It could be,sure,I'm just waiting to play it.

Sn4ke_911

also no sex mini game... WTF SSM?

If the backtracking is crisscrossing through an environment, like the Rings of Pandora, I have enjoyed that in previous GOW games. If it's just walking the same line through an environment in the opposite direction, that's not so great.

Sadly, it's not like that.

Zen

Banned
That's one of the things I like about GoW, you're kind of on the defensive a lot of the time and you have to anticipate timings. Of course you end up unleashing hell at those openings, which is a juxtaposition that makes the give and take very satisfying.

I'll take the bait and ask how GOWII's combat was in any way "fucked up" compared to GOW1 or CoO. And the art design? What's the problem there?

I do like the Gauntlet of Zeus a lot.

We have 2 data points. There is no pattern. So yes, it could easily be a coincidence.

I made a decently sized post about it a long time back when David Jaffe was actively posting here, I'll see if I can dig it up.

In my playthrough i had no problems with bugs/glitches/freezes/crashes or the length of this game, it's all fine. The main problem i have is it's (believe it or not) "boring".

I believe it. It's the same issue I have with any GoW game when I try to play more than one in a row.

Sn4ke_911

Yeah, it's always been that way.

Always be ready to block, parry, or roll.

HAVE SOME RESPECT HIS WIFE JUST DIED.

You go forth and back in this game. Like "3 weeks earlier" Why not take it back to 1 year and let him live happly with his wife and child, a sex scene there would have worked.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Just got the game and about to play. Was looking forward to it but after reading impressions I don't know what to think.

It's all just a battle of attrition at this point. I'm just using cheap tactics to win - the same moves over and over. I don't remember doing such things in GoW3, even on Titan mode.

Also, parrying in this game is iffy when 2 or more enemies are involved, and that happens often.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
You go forth and back in this game. Like "3 weeks earlier" Why not take it back to 1 year and let him live happly with his wife and child, a sex scene there would have worked.

A sex mini-game with his wife would not have worked because the mini-game is inherently goofy and trivializing. It works for a pair of random ladies, but not for anything portraying real intimacy. Unless you wanted them to do it slow and tenderly like Heavy Rain?

CoO > GoWII. It was a more pure God of War game where as two really fucked up with the combat, story, and art design being so erratic. Plus CoO had one of the best sub weapomns in the series (better than Cestus in GoWIII).

I would really, really like to read that detailed post of yours explaining how CoO's combat was better than GoW2.

Because this opinion is straight up bizarro world to me

Sn4ke_911

A sex mini-game with his wife would not have worked because the mini-game is inherently goofy and trivializing. It works for a pair of random ladies, but not for anything portraying real intimacy. Unless you wanted them to do it slow and tenderly like Heavy Rain?

No no, just show Kratos and his wife in bed kissing each other and then move the camera away and QTE. I'm sure they could have come up with something cool. As far as i remember the sex mini game was in any other God of War game.

I'd be interested in the reason why it's not in Ascension. Papy? Tank?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Yes the demo level is one of the few high points in the game.
Seeing the walkthrough, you might have a point here. Don't get me wrong, from what I saw there's some awesome set pieces but there's only like maybe two epic boss battles in the whole game and at least one of them takes place in the demo level. Also, from my observation it seems like most of the game is spent
inside the Apollo statue
or at least that seemed the longest. The
snake train
was pretty damn cool with some really nice backdrops, although.

Still looks like a good game and I haven't played it, but from the looks of it this isn't GoW II (so far, the best in the mainline series) and may be slightly under GoW III.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Well my friend just completed it

yeah his impressions are not very good. Although he did say the ending battle is pretty epic.

wish it was a more consistent campaign.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Nope. If you are talking about GOW3 it deserved the universal acclaim and every sale that it got. Sure it may not have been as consistent as GOW2 but its high's are so high that it almost demolishes every other epic moment from the rest of the series. An absolutely brilliant action game.

This game however....

It has like 4 highs through the whole game and the first 20 minutes is the highest. Most of what comes between is pretty mundane.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
No no, just show Kratos and his wife in bed kissing each other and then move the camera away and QTE. I'm sure they could have come up with something cool. As far as i remember the sex mini game was in any other God of War game.

I'd be interested in the reason why it's not in Ascension. Papy? Tank?

It doesn't matter how they show it or don't show it, a QTE makes the sex stupid and goofy. The sex mini-game has always been a joke in the series. Now that their primary goal is to humanize Kratos and show his relationship with his wife they can't treat it like a joke without undermining their own theme and narrative. Everyone would notice and many would complain.

MyEpitomeCliché;49778328 said:
Three-star review incoming from Giant Bomb. Ryan sounds really lukewarm on it and Patrick made some snarky yawning gesture, so, I dunno. None of them have ever really been that enthused with the series, regardless.

giant bomb is anti sony, minimal coverage of the PS4 event, they are always playing multiplatforms on 360 and the ps3 exclusives get shunned. I stopped caring about that site long time ago.

Sn4ke_911

It doesn't matter how they show it or don't show it, a QTE makes the sex stupid and goofy. The sex mini-game has always been a joke in the series. Now that their primary goal is to humanize Kratos and show his relationship with his wife they can't treat it like a joke without undermining their own theme and narrative. Everyone would notice and many would complain.

Well yeah, that would be a good excuse for them not to put it in the game but the story itself is so stupid and so bad written a sex mini game wouldn't have hurt :p

That guy.... it isn't even worth trying, really.

The funny thing is he hasn't even played Ascension yet, from what i've read he only watched YT walkthroughs.

Cyberia

In a statement sent to Joystiq, developer Sony Santa Monica has confirmed it will change the name of a controversial God of War: Ascension trophy in a patch that should be available alongside the game on Tuesday. Once the patch is applied, the name of the trophy will be "Bros Before Foes."

Originally named "Bros Before Hos" (as seen above), the trophy pops up after you help God of War's anti-hero, Kratos, brutally pummel a Fury, one of a trio of female antagonists in the game. (Though it's not a spoiler in light of the fact that Kratos beats everyone up, we've omitted the trophy description.) The change comes after early negative reaction from early reviews to the jarring scene on and the attached award, which is perceived as misogynistic.

"We have created and will soon push out a patch for God of War: Ascension that alters the title of one of the game Trophies. The text was offensive to some members of our community and impacted their enjoyment of the game," Sony Santa Monica's statement noted. "We are endlessly committed to ensuring that our community can fully enjoy the experiences the team has created. As such, we've addressed the feedback and amended the Trophy in question."

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/11/controversial-god-of-war-ascension-trophy-altered-in-upcoming-p/

gibration

Is SSM even going to bother to show any more multiplayer footage? We barely have any footage of any map other than the ones included in the beta. Hell, where's mah Hades trailer?! :mad:

^lol

KalBalboa

Banned
Have any of the other reviewers besides Sessler complained about this Trophy? I only recall Sessler making a fuss over it.

Gies was claiming you got it for killing a fury too, despite video evidence proving it wasn't.

If people dislike the use of the word "ho" to this extent then sure, change it.

Been playing it for a few hours now but got bored and switched to something else. It definetely looks great, combat seems to be much deeper as well but i don't know. It feels just tired, the franchise i mean. The setting, Kratos. Its way too much of the same. I hope they do a reboot with a new mythology and some new gameplay elements. Also if anyone has any questions about the game, please do.

BadAss2961

It has like 4 highs through the whole game and the first 20 minutes is the highest. Most of what comes between is pretty mundane.
I disagree. The first 20 minutes of GoW3 look spectacular, but both Hades and Hercules top it in terms of buildup and gameplay.

Top Bottom