• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

Platinum should save every franchise and genre apparently. But seriously the mechanics in their games are pretty good but their level design is so boring and by the numbers that it is really very very uninspiring. A classic case of a developer having mechanics and not knowing how to design competent and varied levels around it.

Yes, that was my biggest issue with the game. I really don't remember anything apart from the boss battles. There was a sewer level, I think?

Bayonetta did had some interesting levels though.

Just got this and am so pumped. Anyone happen to get an extra Champions pack code? Got a Darksiders 2 online pass/Crucible code for trade if anyone's down.

firen

Debating on whether the collector's edition is worth the extra $$. Mainly for the 48 hr XP boost and DLC pass. They didn't even specify their plans for future DLC but im assuming the collector's edition guarantees free access? *Sigh* I don't know! :(

Mik_Pad

Banned
This is BS

The pre-order content is under services

uIrmH3K.png

It is so ridiculous.
I don't understand what are we supposed to see here.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Oh please, the moment they heard there was a new God of War the amount of disdain that was spewing from those guys was unbearable. They never gave that game a chance.
I bet the same thing is going to happen to Killzone Shadow Fall.

If you listened to the bombcast, they already wrote Killzone off. I wouldn't be surprised.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Wow, that's it? I mean I'm guessing it's the kick that makes it controversial?
I suppose without context to who
Fury
is, I can't really comment but she doesn't seem like some 'helpless damsel', Kratos disposed of her like any other foe.

All those 'white knights' are really just misogynists at heart. If they had wanted equality, males and females would be treated equally in the game. Treating 'her' like any other foe is the right way to do it, imo.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
No, he's just being a douche like the rest of GiantBomb toward these types of games.

I personally am really looking forward to the game with that awesome MP.

I'm more curious what he's actually doing. Is that a yawn?!? The fuck yawns like that? It's more like he's stuffing a giant wad of invisible cotton candy in his mouth.

Wow, I contributed so much value to this thread! I RULE! :)

David

meta4

I'm more curious what he's actually doing. Is that a yawn?!? The fuck yawns like that? It's more like he's stuffing a giant wad of invisible cotton candy in his mouth.

David

So disappointing that you walked away from this franchise Jaffe! :( Lord knows it needs your passion and creativity right now. Wish you came back to work on it for the fans.

David

Wow, David Jaffe quoted me. I rule! :p
Edit: oh that yawn is called a fuck twat yawn. That's done by someone who doesn't give a shit that a bunch of people worked on a game for three years and yawns like that.

Mik_Pad

Banned

David
Good one David.

I recently discovered your vision for GoW 3, it was epic I hope that idea becomes a reality somehow.

firen

David

In an interview with GameTrailers.com, David Jaffe explained his story to God of War III. The first cutscene featured Oceanus in his water form (similar to Poseidon's God from) killing Hermes. Kratos then would fight Zeus in the opening boss fight and kill him. Then a portal opens on Mt. Olympus where the Egyptian and Norse Gods desend from. The Titans and the Greek, Egyptian, and Norse Gods wage a war to determine who would ultimately rule the world. Kratos then discovers the power to teleport back and forth through Norway, Egypt, and Greece. Kratos encounters Stheno and takes her head in a boss fight. Then in another boss fight with the Sphinx, Kratos uses Stheno's head to turn the beast into stone (and that's how we have the Sphinx statue today in Egypt). Kratos then realizes to permanently kill a God is to get their mortals to stop believing in them. Kratos' plan was already in effect because; the Gods were focused on ruling the world and had their minds off their mortals. Thus, the mortal world was under natural disasters. The mortals stopped believing in the Gods, which weakend them. Kratos & the Titans kill off the remaining Gods. Kratos then uses the Blades of Athena to slit his wrists, resulting in another trip to the Underworld where he was reunited with his wife & daughter. The final cutscene showed the Three Wise Men heading to the North Star resulting with the birth of the new religions.

Source: God Of War Wikia

David, if you convinced Sony to make this game for the PS4 you would be "The Fucking MAN."

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Platinum should save every franchise and genre apparently. But seriously the mechanics in their games are pretty good but their level design is so boring and by the numbers that it is really very very uninspiring. A classic case of a developer having mechanics and not knowing how to design competent and varied levels around it.

Mechanics are more important than level design in an action game, though. Better mechanics make it worthwhile to play again. Actually make a lot of playthroughs better than the first. That is not ever the case with the God of War games.

meta4

Mechanics are more important than level design in an action game, though. Better mechanics make it worthwhile to play again. Actually make a lot of playthroughs better than the first. That is not ever the case with the God of War games.

Nope. For a good game a strong combination of both is important. I cant value just one over the other. I need all aspects to be good and Platinum IMO are not good at that and for that reason GOW2 will always be master piece while MGR will merely be an average game.

Mik_Pad

Banned
Nope. For a good game a strong combination of both is important. I cant value just one over the other. I need all aspects to be good and Platinum IMO are not good at that and for that reason GOW2 will always be master piece while MGR will merely be an average game.
I think combat mechanics should be more important in an action game but clearly it isn't the case with GoW, but GoW is desigbed to appeal to a bigger audience than MGR or Bayonetta and it reflects on sales. I haven't played MGR yet but I'm looking forward to it it looks really good but im cautious since in my opinion Platinums capabilitys are overblown by almost everyone.

Nizz

"But if i'm getting affected by this, then I imagine the kid whose parents don't pay attention to them..."

What does that have to do with the developers? Why is that parents are given a free pass any time discussions about violence in the media occurs?
It's easier to point the finger at somebody else. :/

MGR just set the standard for any sword combat focused game going forward with blade mode and the parry focused gameplay.

Level design can take a back seat.

meta4

I think combat mechanics should be more important in an action game but clearly it isn't the case with GoW, but GoW is desigbed to appeal to a bigger audience than MGR or Bayonetta and it reflects on sales. I haven't played MGR yet but I'm looking forward to it it looks really good but im cautious since in my opinion Platinums capabilitys are overblown by almost everyone.

To me that does not necessarily make it a better game as I value games as a complete package instead of just isolating one component. If not I would have only played CS for FPS's since the shooting mechanics in other FPS games sucks.

Take Vanquish for eg - Had great mechanics but name one level that really made you say wow that was really well designed? Arena after Arena having a few cover spots and just making you slide in them before moving to another arena is not great level design .No variety , No interesting scenarios and whenever they threatened to get some variety it only flattered to deceive. All of this is subjective anyway.. This is just how I feel about games.

Zen

Banned
To each their own.

I enjoyed it after getting through my splats with glitches. Fun game, i agree, but far from god of war 3. Just disappointed honestly.

This game is so much better than 3 it isn't even funny, but opinions. 3 had large spectacle but was pretty uneven and poor after the first 20 minutes.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Fucking Best Buy screwed me over

My copy is Back-Ordered... What the Fuck?

I order 2 months before
Pay extra for Express Shipping and all the stores have it available

Are you fucking serious!

Camjo-Z

I bought Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta earlier today to play tonight and Ascension for tomorrow... but then realized that with my awful download speeds I wouldn't be able to play them until tomorrow anyways :/

In any case, I am looking forward to this! If the game manages to keep a quality consistent with what was in the demo then I'm sure I will enjoy it.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Either can carry a game. The God of War games have always been good because of the level design and spectacle. They were never heavy mechanics games. The combat has always been just good enough to not get in the way. MGR is a good game because the mechanics are incredibly strong and they carry the game. The levels are there to put enemies forth for you to massacre.

To me that does not necessarily make it a better game as I value games as a complete package instead of just isolating one component. If not I would have only played CS for FPS's since the shooting mechanics in other FPS games sucks.

Something like Ninja Gaiden Black is the complete package. Mechanics and level design are amazing. Reason why there is a thread right now about how it is still top of the class.

Dead

well not really...yet
Uhh shit, redeemed my gamestop preorder code and it acknowledged the purchase but nothing downloaded and the items dont show up in my download history either. They show up in transaction history though...

Uhh shit, redeemed my gamestop preorder code and it acknowledged the purchase but nothing downloaded and the items dont show up in my download history either. They show up in transaction history though...

It goes to your "services list" (Account Management>Transactions>Services). No need to download anything.

Mik_Pad

Banned

Take Vanquish for eg - Had great mechanics but name one level that really made you say wow that was really well designed? Arena after Arena having a few cover spots and just making you slide in them before moving to another arena is not great level design .No variety , No interesting scenarios and whenever they threatened to get some variety it only flattered to deceive. All of this is subjective anyway.. This is just how I feel about games.
I agree and you made a fair point with Vanquish, but I think there are "moments" in Vanquish that I haven't experienced anywere else and it is a game primarly focused in combat but don't get me wrong I love GoW and I wouldn't change it for anything.

I read somewhere that the 48 hr Double XP Bonus starts counting as soon as you redeem it, is it true??

Dead

well not really...yet
Hunh. Yeah theyre in the game.

Never seen dlc in a ps3 game do that before. Freaked out for nothing lol.

BadAss2961

Either can carry a game. The God of War games have always been good because of the level design and spectacle. They were never heavy mechanics games. The combat has always been just good enough to not get in the way. MGR is a good game because the mechanics are incredibly strong and they carry the game. The levels are there to put enemies forth for you to massacre.

Something like Ninja Gaiden Black is the complete package. Mechanics and level design are amazing. Reason why there is a thread right now about how it is still top of the class.
As more of a story-driven action/adventure, GoW needs level design, spectacle, and simple but fun gameplay mechanics. With something like Ninja Gaiden or MGR, there is no adventure. It's just an action game through and through, so it obviously needs more depth to its combat.

The world will be a better place when people finally realize that games like God of War don't directly compare to games like DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Platinum Games, etc. They're of different subgenres, and the goals and priorities are not the same.

Slightly off-topic, but I've been holding off on playing Ascension to get through Ghost of Sparta, I'd been playing in 3D which I'd been finding super impressive...then I switched it off and felt like a fool once I saw all the frames I'd been missing. So many frames at such a rate! :p

iratA

As more of a story-driven action/adventure, GoW needs level design, spectacle, and simple but fun gameplay mechanics. With something like Ninja Gaiden or MGR, there is no adventure. It's just an action game through and through, so it obviously needs more depth to its combat.

The world will be a better place when people finally realize that games like God of War don't directly compare to games like DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Platinum Games, etc. They're of different subgenres, and the goals and priorities are not the same.

Yeah I agree with all of this. Well said.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
How is this any different than any other item you download or purchase digitally?

I think he means to say he can't gameshare the content

It directly ties into your account

Sometimes the extra stuff gets added into your DL list, such as skins/weapons, this time it goes directly into your account management/services list

Assassin's Creed Revelation did the same thing

Gonna call Best Buy and get this shit fixed tomorrow ASAP, so fucking stupid!

Sorral

I just woke up and saw the news about the Trophy title change and SSM caving in to the internet white knights IN A GOD OF WAR GAME.
Excuse me and my (late) reaction, but wtf? There were far worse stuff in the previous games than a trophy title... It is baffling how they are selectively looking at things. I was going to type out a whole argument about this, but meh.

I just thing it's ironic that a female staff member came up with that name anyway.

More reasons to stick what they made and not change it honestly.

I think he means to say he can't gameshare the content

It directly ties into your account

Sometimes the extra stuff gets added into your DL list, such as skins/weapons, this time it goes directly into your account management/services list

Assassin's Creed Revelation did the same thing

Gonna call Best Buy and get this shit fixed tomorrow ASAP, so fucking stupid!

My order says the same thing, given my relationship with BBY, not surprised.

firen

I just woke up and saw the news about the Trophy title change and SSM caving in to the internet white knights IN A GOD OF WAR GAME.
Excuse me and my (late) reaction, but wtf? There were far worse stuff in the previous games than a trophy title... It is baffling how they are selectively looking at things. I was going to type out a whole argument about this, but meh.

More reasons to stick what they made and not change it honestly.

I think they weighed the pros/cons and realized that the people who complained would be loud enough to potentially affect the sales. Just didn't seem worth it for them.

Is the difficulty spike being talked by quite a few reviewers even worse than the Cerberus fight in God of War III? I was stuck for several hours on that and much rage was had, hoping my skill has progressed enough to where a similar situation won't happen again.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

That was actually my point.

Top Bottom