• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

TEH-CJ

Banned
Been playing it for a few hours now but got bored and switched to something else. It definetely looks great, combat seems to be much deeper as well but i don't know. It feels just tired, the franchise i mean. The setting, Kratos. Its way too much of the same. I hope they do a reboot with a new mythology and some new gameplay elements. Also if anyone has any questions about the game, please do.

So your not having fun?

Mifune

Mehmber
I can't say I blame them for changing the name, but I don't see why it was an issue in the first place. It's like a two second patch probably so might as well.

djshauny

Banned
People actually care about the trophy titlle?

Sorry but its a game, they made it, they can do what they want.

The whole trophy name backlash is pathetic.

At least it's a minor change due to minor backlash. They've been bigger "wait, reverse this shit!" changes from Sony

3872.610.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

What I find funny is that one of those journalists disappointed by the trophy name used the term "vaginal companion" to refer to his girlfriend, or so I heard.

Someone lay down some combat and enemy encounter tips. Just passed the half-way mark, I think. I thought I read there were certain ways to make encounters easier, especially boss battles.

dab0ne

I love the fact that the process in which you get the trophy isn't the controversy.

Edit: Oops, thought it was from curb stomping a fury. Nevermind... move along.

Mifune

Mehmber
That came from a female tweeter and Sessler actually retweeted it.

He seems a little sheepish about his own reaction in his responses to her, saying that he wasn't trying to speak for anyone else and maybe just needed a nap.

It's possible he was in "fuck this game" mode after a frustrating part, too.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I guess... as a female I wasn't offended in the slightest.

I don't mean to single you out; this is basically my response to the idea that it's okay because a woman chose it, or because a woman wasn't offended.

Unless you (the general "you") represent all women, it's irrelevant that you're female. It would be relevant if you were arguing against the claim that "all women were offended." But no one said that so no one needs to argue against it.

dab0ne

He seems a little sheepish about his own reaction in his responses to her, saying that he wasn't trying to speak for anyone else and maybe just needed a nap.

It's possible he was in "fuck this game" mode after a frustrating part, too.

Yeah, I saw a video where he basically said he couldn't review a game because he couldn't get past a certain part. Definitely could have been in "fuck this game" mode.

Edit: Found it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgUswZNa1N8

STILL bitter about that. At least the dude in Second Son looks like a normal human being this time.

Oh come on, you can't completely change the appearence and voice of a character and say it's the same guy.
I'm not arguing which design is better, just that it doesn't make sense.
If the devs want a new character they need to go all the way like they did with second son, not create a completely new character model and pretend it's the same guy lol.

Imagine ND announcing UC4 with a completely different protagonist and then saying "that's Drake".

Zen

Banned
I'll take the bait and ask how GOWII's combat was in any way "fucked up" compared to GOW1 or CoO. And the art design? What's the problem there?

I do like the Gauntlet of Zeus a lot.

I would really, really like to read that detailed post of yours explaining how CoO's combat was better than GoW2.

Because this opinion is straight up bizarro world to me

God of War IIs combat was a mash of poorly executed changes on the formula that God of War I established. First of all they removed the parry timing leading to a heavy attack, and that's fine! But it's not fine when they deliberately left in the slowdown animation leaving you with nothing until well into the game when you get the golden fleece hours into the game. Originally you were suppose to get the fleece much sooner, but it got shuffled around, and the gameplay up to that point was stilted and awkward because of this useless slowdown that served no purpose but to kill the flow of combat. Once you got the fleece, it still wasn't as fun as the parry from the original.

The block mechanic: People complained in the original that you couldn't block fast enough at times, so instead of merely reducing the delay between button press and block, they made the block instant and spam-able. This allowed you to abuse it against harder enemies and it was just a sloppy solution all around. that broke the intended combat against harder enemy types.

Rage of the Titans: I don't think I need to go into why this was poorly implemented. It was tacked on an completely op.

Enemies: enemies in God of War II were frequently just annoying in terms of design and placement. II really tried to ramp up enemies doing very fast light attack interrupts and it was poorer for it. You were semi frequently put into a situation where you were trying to do something like push a block or turn a lever while waves of enemies would spawn at you, it was just annoying and worse than pushing that cage in the original, because those enemies were limited in number and had more lenient tells for their attacks. The highlight would be the poorly designed sequences were you had to protect the scroll readers, on higher difficulties. A decent amount of the new enemies were just annoying or unfair to fight unless you exploited the combat system (like the armored guys with the ball and chain).

Alternate weapons, there's no argument that the alternate weapon (sword) was under developed in God of War I, but all of the alternate weapons in II were garbage and just not practical to use versus the blades at all. They were a waste of orbs.

Art design. II has the worst art design in the series bar none. It's inconsistent and while you're on an island moving ever closer to the center, the areas clash so much that you're hard pressed to ever feel that sense of progression. It was also responsible for the sub par designs of the rest of the Olympians (none of them ever measured up to Ares from the original). They had to design all of the gods at once to shoe horn them in for a cutscene, and it showed, haunting even God of War III.

I also dislike GoWII because Kratos was much more of a meat-head, it invalidated the ending of God of War I and generally just pigeon holed God of War III, leading you up to fighting a boss whom you had already decisively beaten in II. Not to mention how it completely ignored all of the logical plot threads it set up itself through introducing time travel. Krtatos not once even thinking to save his family for instance. It was just an extremely sloppy and poorly thought out sequel to a highly self contained and well thought out original.

CoO had at least on par encounter design, better level design, better combat, and better sub-weapons and spells, massively more consistent art design and proper sense of progression through its environments. It was just all around a better game.

JCizzle

I don't mean to single you out; this is basically my response to the idea that it's okay because a woman chose it, or because a woman wasn't offended.

Unless you (the general "you") represent all women, it's irrelevant that you're female. It would be relevant if you were arguing against the claim that "all women were offended." But no one said that so no one needs to argue against it.

I just find it odd you had two guys fighting the crusade against sexism when she (the writer) is obviously much more experienced with the issue than they could ever be.

Let us men decide what's offensive.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Let us men decide what's offensive.

Nope.

It's just that one's gender is less relevant than one's beliefs and knowledge, which a person of either gender could hold. Of course women have unique experience with sexism that men don't, but I'd argue that a smart man who studies social issues could easily have a better perspective on sexism than an uneducated/dumb woman. Likewise, a smart woman could easily have a better perspective on men's social issues than a dumb man.

And to be clear I am in no way saying Kagari isn't qualified to comment. Just that her gender is not a deciding factor in the merit of her perspective.

dab0ne

I don't think it's really all that offensive but if someone does this it's good they changed it. I'm just looking forward to the game. Some dumb trophy on a PS3 game isn't going to rile me up as much as if the game itself isn't very good.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Neither this nor the gears judgement thread are very active. GAF doesn't care about non-mainline games I guess.
None mainline? Has this been confirmed not mainline and is a
spin off?
And before someone says it a prequel, so is MGS3 and DMC3

I'm glad there's a thread to discuss the trophy issue, OT would get really messy otherwise.
This was a non-issue from the start and it's disappointing that ssm felt the need to change it.

So let's carry on.
I think co-op might be pretty awesome, makes a lot of sense now that I think about it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Question, I played the demo, but does it get better than that? It had it's highs and lows. But it could just me being spoiled by GoW3's intro.

ari

Banned
2 hours and a half in right after receiving that freezing time amulet, the camera froze on to the point it won't follow me. At a checkpoint to of all places. Gonna go to gamestop and see if i can get another copy.

Ricky_R

2 hours and a half in right after receiving that freezing time amulet, the camera froze on to the point it won't follow me. At a checkpoint to of all places. Gonna go to gamestop and see if i can get another copy.

How were those two hours aside from the camera issue?

Mik_Pad

Banned
I have a question for someone that has beaten the game, are there costumes for Kratos an what options are there in the extras section of the main menu?

Ricky_R

It was pretty silly that Kratos never once thought about going back in time and saving his family

There you have it... GOW4. Kratos finally finds a way to safe his family giving him a new motivation built on hope. He will be more desperate than ever, making him more vulnerable.

Top Bottom