• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

Sorral

I think they weighed the pros/cons and realized that the people who complained would be loud enough to potentially affect the sales. Just didn't seem worth it for them.

I guess given the review scores, them wanting more sales and the complains came from 'journalists'... Oh well.

My game arrives today and hopefully I just forget about the trophy thing.
Except when I get to it...

I already have this preordered, I get a $20 reward zone certificate, and I've played every other GoW game (except Betrayal) and I really enjoyed all of them. I'm also concerned that the series stagnation has become a problem, that this isn't as good as the previous games, and I could use my money to pick up some other cheaper games. Do I pick this up later or not?

Not my place to say (it is your money), but to me, it sounds like you're a fan of the series and you're likely going to enjoy it.
Maybe watch some of the new videos floating around.

I already have this preordered, I get a $20 reward zone certificate, and I've played every other GoW game (except Betrayal) and I really enjoyed all of them. I'm also concerned that the series stagnation has become a problem, that this isn't as good as the previous games, and I could use my money to pick up some other cheaper games. Do I pick this up later or not?

nofi

This is getting ridiculous. I'm almost about to give up on this part. Whoever was in charge of this elevator: screw you, damnit. >_<

It's easy when you know how. Use
your new magic abilities and QTE kill those on the second floor that give you health

Dead

well not really...yet
The sp can end up being a total disappointment, ill still have gotten my moneys worth with multiplayer. Shits awesome.

jackb2424

Banned
After an hour of playing my first impressions are that this might my favorite GOW yet. For me the opening always sets the tone for a GOW and this did not disappoint. First off I don't know how they made this game look this damn good but holy shit was that opening awesome. It was a spectacle and I loved every second of it. Second is the combat. The combat in Ascension is where its at for me this time around. Being a prequel and all, Kratos feels more like a natural warrior. His moves aren't really flashy but they are a more visceral style of combat. It seems there are so many different ways to chain combos and the game has just started. His chains feel heavier, and more agile. Cant wait to see how this ends. Time to get back at it. I missed u Kratos

TEH-CJ

Banned
After an hour of playing my first impressions are that this might my favorite GOW yet. For me the opening always sets the tone for a GOW and this did not disappoint. First off I don't know how they made this game look this damn good but holy shit was that opening awesome. It was a spectacle and I loved every second of it. Second is the combat. The combat in Ascension is where its at for me this time around. Being a prequel and all, Kratos feels more like a natural warrior. His moves aren't really flashy but they are a more visceral style of combat. It seems there are so many different ways to chain combos and the game has just started. His chains feel heavier, and more agile. Cant wait to see how this ends. Time to get back at it. I missed u Kratos

But thats the problem. The first hour is awesome then the rest of the game is is killing waves of re spawning enemies with little to no spectacle, or epic moments until you reach the end.

Would like to hear some more impressions as you get further into the game :)

JABEE

I'm more curious what he's actually doing. Is that a yawn?!? The fuck yawns like that? It's more like he's stuffing a giant wad of invisible cotton candy in his mouth.

Wow, I contributed so much value to this thread! I RULE! :)

David

hahaha. I think dismissing games before you even play them like this is kind of messed up. It is the same thing Patrick and the crew were chastising fans of the original Devil May Cry series for doing to DmC. If you go back to their E3 show, they pretty much ignored GOW:A and only made passing dismissive comments.

zoukka

But thats the problem. The first hour is awesome then the rest of the game is is killing waves of re spawning enemies with little to no spectacle, or epic moments until you reach the end.

When did the bread and butter GoW gameplay become so disgusting to people? Because I didn't play the first and second game because of the bossfights. I really enjoyed the scenery, dungeons, arena fights, puzzles and the well thought out enviroments. Sure the bosses were epic, but only one piece of the experience.

After GoW3 it seems that people only want more "riding on the back of Titans" gameplay and everything else is redundant?

Anyone seen the patch notes for the day one patch?
Thought I read that Just_Tank was going to release the notes yesterday?

Other than the "Bros for foes " patch [which is separate] not found anything about the main 100Mb patch details.

Thanks in advance.

meta4

When did the bread and butter GoW gameplay become so disgusting to people? Because I didn't play the first and second game because of the bossfights. I really enjoyed the scenery, dungeons, arena fights, puzzles and the well thought out enviroments. Sure the bosses were epic, but only one piece of the experience.

After GoW3 it seems that people only want more "riding on the back of Titans" gameplay and everything else is redundant?

That is the thing. It is not about the Titans alone. The best boss fights in GOW3 were Hades, Hercules etc. Nothing to do specifically with scale but they were just awesomely designed boss fights.

Domstercool

There you have it... GOW4. Kratos finally finds a way to safe his family giving him a new motivation built on hope. He will be more desperate than ever, making him more vulnerable.

Which would mean he would have to fight himself! :D

Unless he never becomes Spartan's finest warrior, who struggled against that dude, which was the reason he made the deal with Ares in the first place.

So, he either does some crazy Rocky montage to get himself super powerful before that fight, or he simply never becomes a warrior and lives happily ever after fleeing the country, scared of the outcome of that fight.

ARGH TIME TRAVEL!! Messes with the head. >.<

BadAss2961

It can't be as fun as the teetor totter in DMC3 :b
Gotta get those blue orbs.
hahaha. I think dismissing games before you even play them like this is kind of messed up. It is the same thing Patrick and the crew were chastising fans of the original Devil May Cry series for doing to DmC. If you go back to their E3 show, they pretty much ignored GOW:A and only made passing dismissive comments.
Too bad reviewers couldn't make DmC successful. Now Capcom can get their shit together and give me my series back.

I didn't notice until recently that some were giving Ascension the Killzone treatment. With their being shooters all over the place, Killzone is one thing, but it's crazy to me how you could have a team of gamers without one person excited to play a God of War. There's more to remember from these games than most just on visuals and spectacle alone.

BadAss2961

That is the thing. It is not about the Titans alone. The best boss fights in GOW3 were Hades, Hercules etc. Nothing to do specifically with scale but they were just awesomely designed boss fights.
I agree.

Ascension has no mid-game boss fights that compare to those? That would be pretty hard for me to understand.
I give up on this part for tonight. What a bunch of BS.

Never encountered anything like it in previous GoW games.

You playing normal, or hard?

Dead

well not really...yet
When I played the demo, I thought it was weird that they focused on that one random grunt in a cell.

Pretty cool that that is
the tie in for the multiplayer
:)

Sorral

Gotta get those blue orbs. Too bad reviewers couldn't make DmC successful. Now Capcom can get their shit together and give me my series back.

I didn't notice until recently that some were giving Ascension the Killzone treatment. With their being shooters all over the place, Killzone is one thing, but it's crazy to me how you could have a team of gamers without one person excited to play a God of War. There's more to remember from these games than most just on visuals and spectacle alone.

Yup and then we have a good game that brings a whole new part to the series being dismissed by these 'gamer journalists' that satisfies the fans of the series and hopefully sells.

I think they should have made Kratos able to ride the Hecatonchires and control him to battles! Each of the shoulder buttons controlled a set of his arms and the face buttons did some crazy shit with the Hecatonchires' heads when the Olympian gods show up :| Then and only then people will forget about GoW3 maybe.

My shitty sarcasm aside, I agree with you. I just replayed GoW1 last week and I am only missing the 5hours playthrough trophy. It is like some people forgot all about GoW1, GoW2, CoO, and GoS's gameplay elements and only want more GoW3 "riding on the back of the Titans".

Robot Pants

Can't even get past the 2nd part. What's your strategy?
Hold block in the corner until the uroboros recharges then unleash it when you get a window. Then L1+triangle with the soul blades for a while. Repeat until you get them red then take them out. I can't get past the first part with more than 20% health. So everything after it is an uphill battle. Really sucks

Hold block in the corner until the uroboros recharges then unleash it when you get a window. Then L1+triangle with the soul blades for a while. Repeat until you get them red then take them out. I can't get past the first part with more than 20% health. So everything after it is an uphill battle. Really sucks

That's what I'll do later. I'll just sit in a corner and camp for the Life Cycle. Then, Square Square Triangle with the Soul Blades. Take that, game!

Radec

Let's do this!

549333_10200260598190242_1842372393_n.jpg

Valnen

So uh...my Zeus/Isaac DLC code isn't working. Is it because I don't own all-stars or something? Trying to register it on the SEN website.

I am a good 4 hours in.

I don't know why some people have complained about this game lacking the scale that GOW 3 had?

I just completed a puzzle that showed off more scale than I have ever seen in a GOW game.

Also the opening battle tops GOW 3 in my opinion, it looked borderline CGI !

So far it might be my favorite GOW yet, cant wait to get back to it after work.

I think its the most gory as well, some of the mini boss fights finishing moves had me cringing.

The sound is the only issues I could find, its too soft in places.

Otherwise I prefer the locations and the enemies over previous games.

I am a good 4 hours in.

I don't know why some people have complained about this game lacking the scale that GOW 3 had?

I just completed a puzzle that showed off more scale than I have ever seen in a GOW game.

I think its the most gory as well, some of the mini boss fights finishing moves had me cringing.

Still has nothing on the GoW3 Poseidon battle in the first hour. The music, interaction and the pacing of that battle was superb.

Radec

The first boss was epic.

That looked disgusting, although Poseidons first person view of him getting wrecked is still king of every boss fight though.

This game is so much better than 3 it isn't even funny, but opinions. 3 had large spectacle but was pretty uneven and poor after the first 20 minutes.

I am a good 4 hours in.

More impressions like this, please. I need to get the hype back.

Robot Pants

More impressions like this, please. I need to get the hype back.

There is definitely some good in this game. There aren't as many varied locations as there are in every other GOW game, but the ones in Ascension are really breathtaking and huge.
The game is beautiful no doubt.

That's really the only major pros though. The rest of the game feels very empty with barely any story going on, sound that is pretty atrocious (out of sync sound effects, either no music for most of the game, nor during "epic" battles. And if there is music, it's way too low.), and bosses that are really not memorable and very far between.

I really don't like the combat, it just doesn't fit. Most of the enemies hardly recoil, especially if they are carrying a weapon. Weapon enemies take like 2 hits from you then ignore the rest and just lunge at you constantly. From all directions.
I'm down for a harder GOW game, but Kratos' arsenal and moveset is still too slow and sluggish to handle these new enemies. You are basically getting one or two hits in and then blocking. The parry system really sucks and offers little benefit, and most of the time the counter misses the enemy. I found little use for 2 (borderline 3) of the elemental attacks. I maxed all of them out, and the first one is basically the best and all you really need.

The special powers you obtain later take too long to come out especially when you are in the middle of a big fight and need them quick. The Trial of Archimedes really showcases all of this.

It really COULD have been one of the best entries because it does some different stuff, but it doesn't mesh well. I'd place is above Chains of Olympus. With Chains of Olympus being the worst.

edit: Another PRO - Good puzzles. They actually make you think.

I'm assuming this guy gets paid to write about games? That's very professional if that's the case. I bet the people that spent the last 3 years pouring their lifes into this game really appreciate that.

Haha, give me a break man. Not everyone loves the game, and I do see where he's coming from.

Gold_Loot

I'm assuming this guy gets paid to write about games? That's very professional if that's the case. I bet the people that spent the last 3 years pouring their lifes into this game really appreciate that.[/QUOTE]

GiantBomb and professional should never be within the same sentence. Sometimes I think that website is just a big running gag within the industry.

Top Bottom