• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

There is definitely some good in this game. There aren't as many varied locations as there are in every other GOW game, but the ones in Ascension are really breathtaking and huge.
The game is beautiful no doubt.

That's really the only major pros though. The rest of the game feels very empty with barely any story going on, sound that is pretty atrocious (out of sync sound effects, either no music for most of the game, nor during "epic" battles. And if there is music, it's way too low.), and bosses that are really not memorable and very far between.

I really don't like the combat, it just doesn't fit. Most of the enemies hardly recoil, especially if they are carrying a weapon. Weapon enemies take like 2 hits from you then ignore the rest and just lunge at you constantly. From all directions.
I'm down for a harder GOW game, but Kratos' arsenal and moveset is still too slow and sluggish to handle these new enemies. You are basically getting one or two hits in and then blocking. The parry system really sucks and offers little benefit, and most of the time the counter misses the enemy. I found little use for 2 (borderline 3) of the elemental attacks. I maxed all of them out, and the first one is basically the best and all you really need.

The special powers you obtain later take too long to come out especially when you are in the middle of a big fight and need them quick. The Trial of Archimedes really showcases all of this.

It really COULD have been one of the best entries because it does some different stuff, but it doesn't mesh well. I'd place is above Chains of Olympus. With Chains of Olympus being the worst.

edit: Another PRO - Good puzzles. They actually make you think.

I am complete agreement with this post.

To touch up on the sound design - how did they screw this one up? It was in the beta and in the demo, yet they couldn't address this? The sound mixing is damn awful on my 7.1 Onkyo set.

I'm assuming this guy gets paid to write about games? That's very professional if that's the case. I bet the people that spent the last 3 years pouring their lifes into this game really appreciate that.

Patrick just tends to be more interested in indie games than big 'AAA' titles.

Jacob4815

either no music for most of the game, nor during "epic" battles.

I'm ..... shocked to read this.
The music and the soundtrack were amazing in the previous entries, perfectly balanced with the game and the actions on screen... OMG, what happened to SSM in these three years????????

The music and the soundtrack were amazing in the previous entries, perfectly balanced with the game and the actions on screen... OMG, what happened to SSM in these three years????????

Yeah... I'm really surprised by this as well, sound design was always one of the strong points of the franchise.

Is the sound problem a bug? Can it be patched?

It can be patched and I hope it's patched soon.

I got to play the parts that were in the demo... it's God of War and it's awesome. I don't really get what people were expecting.

I was expecting:

• Fluid combat system
• Good sound design/mixing
• Amazing boss battles
• Pacing with story telling, combat and puzzles
• Beautiful visuals

And so far, I've either partially got those things or some aspects are stupid/broken. Todd Papy needs to step his game up. Lots of questionable design choices, my friend :(

Fabrik

Banned
To me that does not necessarily make it a better game as I value games as a complete package instead of just isolating one component. If not I would have only played CS for FPS's since the shooting mechanics in other FPS games sucks.

Take Vanquish for eg - Had great mechanics but name one level that really made you say wow that was really well designed? Arena after Arena having a few cover spots and just making you slide in them before moving to another arena is not great level design .No variety , No interesting scenarios and whenever they threatened to get some variety it only flattered to deceive. All of this is subjective anyway.. This is just how I feel about games.

I...agree with you! WTH is happening! :)

Robot Pants

Yeah... I'm really surprised by this as well, sound design was always one of the strong points of the franchise.

Exactly. That's why its so noticeable and such a shame. It's a huge part of what makes the games, and they've nailed it every time except for this. No idea why or how.

Sorral

I really don't like the combat, it just doesn't fit. Most of the enemies hardly recoil, especially if they are carrying a weapon. Weapon enemies take like 2 hits from you then ignore the rest and just lunge at you constantly. From all directions.
I'm down for a harder GOW game, but Kratos' arsenal and moveset is still too slow and sluggish to handle these new enemies. You are basically getting one or two hits in and then blocking. The parry system really sucks and offers little benefit, and most of the time the counter misses the enemy. I found little use for 2 (borderline 3) of the elemental attacks. I maxed all of them out, and the first one is basically the best and all you really need.

There were enemies like this throughout the series. Unless you staggered them, they will attack you and stop your attacks. The slowness/sluggish sounds like GoW1, so unless the grabbing mechanic is as almost broken as how it was in GoW1, then I don't think I will have issues with that.
Oh and is the parry system in SP the same as the MP? I was able to use it really well in MP.

I can't comment much on anything else in that post as the game is not here yet.

I'm assuming this guy gets paid to write about games? That's very professional if that's the case. I bet the people that spent the last 3 years pouring their lifes into this game really appreciate that.

I felt like punching him in the face when I first saw that. I can't imagine how SSM would feel if they saw that.
Also such childish acts are a norm from that site.

Giant Bomb aren't really bastions of professionalism. :p (Though they are of integrity) I do agree that it was a bit dickish, though.

TEH-CJ

Banned
So only 1 good impression so far...

Never in my life has my hype been deflated as much as it is now.

I will reserve judgement when I play it my self. But I have friends who are massive god of war fans who have already returned the game because it was boring trash ( exact words)

I remember the day before god of war 3 came out. My god I was like a fucking kid waiting to open my Christmas presents.

Mikey Jr.

I wouldn't worry about Patrick.

Nobody takes his opinion on games seriously. He LOVES his indie/obscure games. Anything else is a snooze for him. Doesn't matter if he has ever played it or not. Look to the other Giant Bomb guys for actual game reviews.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I have a question for someone that has beaten the game, are there costumes for Kratos an what options are there in the extras section of the main menu?

As promised i just popped in the disc :)

Extras:
*Videos (the same Unchained stuff they've already released)
*Credits

Nothing more in this category.

Then i go to New game+ and can choose a variety of new costumes.

New Game+
*Kratos (Default)
*Olive Skin Kratos
*Battle Armour of Ares
*Fury Armour
*War Armour of Hades
*Kraken Armour
*Skorpian Armour
*Battle Armour of Zeus

You can find some awesome artefacts and items during your first playthrough which gives you
infinite rage, health, magic, causes your health meter to slowly increase over time, reduces cooldown time
and stuff like that which you can use/activate in NG+. Pretty cool.

Fabrik

Banned
Are people finally bored with the franchise? The game looks the same God of War as it has always been. Wonder what the sales will be.

Ricky_R

Are people finally bored with the franchise? The game looks the same God of War as it has always been. Wonder what the sales will be.

Being bored with it is probably taking its toll, but going by most impressions so far, there seems to be some issues with the overall design of the game that aren't helping at all.

I'm not even hyped anymore, but I will form my opinion about it when I play the game, because I will get the game sooner or later.

dummydecoy

I don't know, it just felt totally disrespectful to me and it was what I felt.

Me too man. I agree with you, dude in the gif is obnoxious even if he is just joking. It really makes me want to punch his face coz it feels like a taunt. Like that nerd can make a better game than SSM. Even I agree that this game feels unnecessary, but come on.

Radec

Plays like God of War to me.

Im stuck at the huge hour glass area lol. Need fire for the movable object or something.

Sid

We being bored or not doesn't really affect sales,for example most of us loved Bayonetta and look what happened with that franchise.

Mik_Pad

Banned
As promised i just popped in the disc :)

Extras:
*Videos (the same Unchained stuff they've already released)
*Credits

Nothing more in this category.

Then i go to New game+ and can choose a variety of new costumes.

New Game+
*Kratos (Default)
*Olive Skin Kratos
*Battle Armour of Ares
*Fury Armour
*War Armour of Hades
*Kraken Armour
*Skorpian Armour
*Battle Armour of Zeus

You can find some awesome artefacts and items during your first playthrough which gives you
infinite rage, health, magic, causes your health meter to slowly increase over time, reduces cooldown time
and stuff like that which you can use/activate in NG+. Pretty cool.
Many thanks!!!
What I didn't liked about costumes is that you couldn't change them mid game like Uncharted I hope this isn't the case here.

meta4

Franchise fatigue is there but GOW1/2/3 is still so amazing to play. This one is bad. Something went wrong at SSM these last three years. I think some of their resources were taken awayfor the PS4 new IP and I have a feeling the budget for this one was slightly low. Otherwise I do not know how they could mess up.

ruxtpin

Banned
Can't wait to pick-up my copy from GS after work. Been missing Kratos' shenanigans.

Side-note: I finally sat down and played the copy of Dishonored by g/f got me for Christmas. That was a good game!

Valnen

Franchise fatigue is there but GOW1/2/3 is still so amazing to play. This one is bad. Something went wrong at SSM these last three years. I think some of their resources were taken awayfor the PS4 new IP and I have a feeling the budget for this one was slightly low. Otherwise I do not know how they could mess up.

I'm not buying it. It seems like GAF thinks everything is bad lately.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Many thanks!!!
What I didn't liked about costumes is that you couldn't change them mid game like Uncharted I hope this isn't the case here.

I didn't had much time but as far as i've seen you can't change costumes mid game.

Aren't you the one who only watched walkthrough videos on youtube?

Yeah, I think people need to be more careful with this. Aliens Colonial Marines is bad. Medal of honor warfighter is bad. This might not be as good as other GoW games but it isn't bad.

meta4

So only 1 good impression so far...

Never in my life has my hype been deflated as much as it is now.

I will reserve judgement when I play it my self. But I have friends who are massive god of war fans who have already returned the game because it was boring trash ( exact words)

I remember the day before god of war 3 came out. My god I was like a fucking kid waiting to open my Christmas presents.

This was how I felt when I was about to open GOW3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLEBtvOhGnM

This is how I feel about GOW A : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z4m4lnjxkY

TEH -CJ I remember you sharing the GOW : A E3 demo and after playing it we were so pumped. So disappointing. I am really curious what they do with GOW4! I think this may have been a blessing in disguise. They may really shake things up and make it bigger and more epic next time.

Justin

Me too man. I agree with you, dude in the gif is obnoxious even if he is just joking. It really makes me want to punch his face coz it feels like a taunt. Like that nerd can make a better game than SSM. Even I agree that this game feels unnecessary, but come on.

Sometimes it is hard to tell if posts like this are serious or jokes trying to make it on @NeoGAFshitposts

velociraptor

No music? Well that fucking sucks. The music is what helped make GOW3 so epic.

Radec

Because playing the game and watching it on Youtube is the same experience right ?

TEH-CJ

Banned
This was how I felt when I was about to open GOW3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLEBtvOhGnM

This is how I feel about GOW A : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z4m4lnjxkY

TEH -CJ I remember you sharing the GOW : A E3 demo and after playing it we were so pumped. So disappointing. I am really curious what they do with GOW4! I think this may have been a blessing in disguise. They may really shake things up and make it bigger and more epic next time.

LOL at that second clip. So true man :(

but yeah there should be no excuses next gen. They have the power at their disposal, its just a matter of coming up with new ideas and how ambitious they are. I still think the constant change of directors is hurting the series to be honest.

meta4

I mean bad compared to other GOW games. It is nowhere close to being a horrible game or anything. It is just not a good GOW game. I am getting more disappointed as I am playing it.

Derrick01

Banned

Everything does tend to disappoint recently. I'm willing to believe the bunch of early impressions that all say it's disappointing and/or boring since early impressions tend to be more accurate, for whatever reason.

I felt like punching him in the face when I first saw that. I can't imagine how SSM would feel if they saw that.
Also such childish acts are a norm from that site.

That would be pretty childish, punching a dude over a game. I'm not sure why anyone has to acknowledge how much work was done on a game, as if "A for effort" is an actual thing. As an aside, many mediocre-to-bad games had hard-working developers toiling away for years, but that doesn't mean anything if the execution isn't there.

after 2 hours of playing this, it's really samey and not as interesting as I hoped it would be

framerate dips are also annoying

will continue on I guess, anyone having issues connecting online too?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
edit: Another PRO - Good puzzles. They actually make you think.
It's probably unlikely reason for most people, but I'm really happy to hear this. GoW is one of the rare high budget game series that puts serious effort into puzzles, I really liked them all throughout the series, especially in 2 and 3. Was one of the reasons why I was happy with the pace change in UC3 as well, as that meant they've put more emphasis on good quality puzzles, as opposed to mostly throwaway ones in UC2. Shame people mostly don't even recognize it.

meta4

Yeah. We are huge fans of the series man in my city. There is no way I do not play a GOW game on console. Infact I would like to take back what I said about the graphics. It is actually a nice step up from GOW3. I still state based on the what I have played so far it is not as good as 1/2/3. There seems to be a lack of adrenaline that I usually feel when I am playing a GOW game. That is just me man feel free to disagree.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Everything does tend to disappoint recently. I'm willing to believe the bunch of early impressions that all say it's disappointing and/or boring since early impressions tend to be more accurate, for whatever reason.
Heh, yeah, first impressions usually come from the fans of the series or generally people who are pumped about it. If you're a fan too, you probably want to hear what they have to say.

Dude Abides

Banned
Has there been any word on if/when they're fixing the sound? Despite the rather negative impressions I bought as I am a fan of the series, but if the sound is broken I'll wait to play until it is fixed.

Top Bottom