• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

Jigolo

Uhh promotional DLC from amazon isn't working. I put the code in and nothing comes up on the DL list to actually download. Weird.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Sorral

Different opinions,I am pretty sure GOW3 was like this as well.

Not talking about the intro though.

Yeah, I realize that it is different opinions. Still hilarious to see it unfold on the same page. Oh and I am not used to being around in an OT when a game launches.

Uhh promotional DLC from amazon isn't working. I put the code in and nothing comes up on the DL list to actually download. Weird.

Is this happening to anyone else?

A few pages page, some people said it was under the services/account list and not the downloads list. Might want to check that out.

Dead

well not really...yet
I haven't had an issue with the camera being zoomed out too far really, but the sound design is just....abysmal. I can't believe a game of this caliber has been shipped out like this. Sound effects completely go silent, parts of the music suddenly drop out randomly. There's no feedback to my actions 75% of the time.

I was hoping this was just a demo issue, but its a serious hindrance to the enjoyment of the actual game.

Jigolo

I haven't had an issue with the camera being zoomed out too far really, but the sound design is just....abysmal. I can't believe a game of this caliber has been shipped out like this. Sound effects completely go silent, parts of the music suddenly drop out randomly. There's no feedback to my actions 75% of the time.

I was hoping this was just a demo issue, but its a serious hindrance to the enjoyment of the actual game.

Try changing the Audio to "Stereo" and see if that works

A few pages page, some people said it was under the services/account list and not the downloads list. Might want to check that out.

It shows up on the services list but there is no option to download. My guess is that graywolf323 is right and has something to do when the store updates later today. I hope this is the case.

Jigolo

Wow, just noticed there are a bunch of demos on the disc. That's good because I haven't played a few of these games and never got around to actually DLing the demos. I hope these aren't links to the PS store. Anyway Sound Shapes and Flower will be played later today along with the game. I got work for now.

Sorral

It shows up on the services list but there is no option to download. My guess is that graywolf323 is right and has something to do when the store updates later today. I hope this is the case.

So they are still not unlocked for you? Hm. I thought that was their way to prevent them from being shared across accounts/PS3s by having it in services only or something. I will try when my copy arrives. Maybe it is really just the store update though.

Edit: Finally, my copy is here. I won't be able to finish my class's homework now. >_>

Yeah no its not at all.

No, it is. They've tried to change some things for variety sake, and it's backfired by making each of the individual parts that much weaker, and hiding the higher attacks/magic behind upgrades and Rage meters makes combat that much more one dimensional and repetitive.

I'm enjoying it so far. the pacing is weird but it seems to be picking up. I am not really liking the new counter R1+X. I wish they just would of kept it as a timed block. Feels strange. Didn't they have the old counter in the demo?

TentPole

God fucking dammit! The game quick saves before just about every save and every time you die you rue spawn with full health. As someone who liked managing my health and magic in previously games this blows. On the plus side for people who want an easier game you can select "load last checkpoint" from the pause menu after every fight to respawn right where you are but with full health, but I don't

Why even have health chests? Why not just put in regenerating health if this is how you want to handle it?

Just another casualty of a lack of save points. In previously games if you got into a pickle where you are checkpointed at the start of a hard battle without enough health to win you could always reload your hard save. Since this game relies on auto save they have to insure that you reload with enough health to win every fight and I hate it. Dead Space 3, The new 3ds Castlevania, and now God of War. This is quickly becoming one of my biggest pet peeves.

Derrick01

Banned
Totilo was pretty positive in his review:
http://kotaku.com/5990207/god-of-war-ascension-the-kotaku-review

Also, Game Informer calls it a stumble and still gives it an 8.0:
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/g...chive/2013/03/12/godofwarascensionreview.aspx

GI lolz

An 8 from GI for a AAA game is like getting a 5 from everywhere else. That's about as low as their scale goes for big games.

On a side note I like that the game offers some slight branching paths for secrets in areas but they need to do a better job at showing which one progresses the story once you're in the right one. I just locked myself out of an area that had at least 2 powerup boxes with a puzzle because I accidentally progressed and I can't go back. There was also an area all the way to the right side (I picked left at first) that had god knows what. I only went left because the camera went up the right path so I assumed that was the story path.

edit: Yeah I miss manual saves too mostly for the situation I just described.

OSHAN

God fucking dammit! The game quick saves before just about every save and every time you die you rue spawn with full health. As someone who liked managing my health and magic in previously games this blows. On the plus side for people who want an easier game you can select "load last checkpoint" from the pause menu after every fight to respawn right where you are but with full health, but I don't

Do you respawn with full health on hard, too?

What is GAF smoking with this game?

6 hours in and I am totally blown away. Holy fuck, it is pure awesomeness.
I don't know what is wrong with some of you people. If anyone of SSM still reads, keep it up!

My ranking so far:
GoW3 > GoW 2 = GoW:A > GoS > CoO > GoW1

Also I had no sound issues so far, I play with headphones and switched the sound setting ingame to headphones too.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
What is GAF smoking with this game?

6 hours in and I am totally blown away. Holy fuck, it is pure awesomeness.
I don't know what is wrong with some of you people. If anyone of SSM still reads, keep it up!

My ranking so far:
GoW3 > GoW 2 = GoW:A > GoS > CoO > GoW1

Also I had no sound issues so far, I play with headphones and switched the sound setting ingame to headphones too.

Wut

JB1981

Why even have health chests? Why not just put in regenerating health if this is how you want to handle it?

Just another casualty of a lack of save points. In previously games if you got into a pickle where you are checkpointed at the start of a hard battle without enough health to win you could always reload your hard save. Since this game relies on auto save they have to insure that you reload with enough health to win every fight and I hate it. Dead Space 3, The new 3ds Castlevania, and now God of War. This is quickly becoming one of my biggest pet peeves.

Even on Hard GoW3 would give the player a little extra health on respawn after a death. But respawning with full health is much worse. Casuals.

Ricker

Great so the camera broke and I can't see kratos or where I'm going. Fantastic.

That happened to me as I was near the lightning chest...I missed an X prompt for a jump but I didnt die and the game sort of went halway into the game over black screen...the only way I saw Kratos was because he had the game over color(red) on his back everything else around was pitch black hehe...

Game is awesome though so far,just got to the Delphi Tower,with the whole Serpents thing,great stuff...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The sound isn't changed from the demo...dammit. I have no idea what went wrong there but it's extremely frustrating to see a game like this have that affecting it.

Right at the start in the prison, a bug enemy bashes through a door at one point. Literally no sound effect is made from it. Guarding attacks has no twang sound, making it hard to tell if it's even working. Bleh. :\

I'm also on Stereo, it defaulted to that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The Last of Us thing in the case says coming May 7th, but that sounds like it's referring to the original release date and not the demo. Either way that will probably confuse a lot of people.

Top Bottom