• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

I haven't had an issue with the camera being zoomed out too far really, but the sound design is just....abysmal. I can't believe a game of this caliber has been shipped out like this. Sound effects completely go silent, parts of the music suddenly drop out randomly. There's no feedback to my actions 75% of the time.

I was hoping this was just a demo issue, but its a serious hindrance to the enjoyment of the actual game.

I thought they were supposed to patch and fix this??

combat much improved regardless of what a lot say. The R1 chain grab is great, and the elemental powers add a nice variety. fire grants gold orbs, ice gives big red orbs etc as well.

Finally the interactive kills are wonderful. Beat
Medusa not to long ago, and was preparing myself for the same battle as in GOW3 only to be surprised with having to do a interactive kill.

These fuckin goat men... I swear, I threw my controller at my tv. WTF. They continuously block and attack when there's no way of going to a block or dodging.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just got my CE. Steelbook is a bit sparsely detailed but the figure looks surprisingly good. Patching now then going in. So pumped for a new GoW.

These fuckin goat men... I swear, I threw my controller at my tv. WTF. They continuously block and attack when there's no way of going to a block or dodging.

Square Square Triangle with the Soul Blades. Knocks 'em back with the ghost slap.

Actually, just SST everything. This game wants to throw cheap crap at you, abuse the Life Cycle by camping for it and SST all day every day. Smack them fools around.

DigitalOp

Banned
So seriously guys, Is this turning out better or worse than GoW3?? (which I loved)

I welcome full impressions and details but let's also cut straight to the chase...
I cant pick this up right now since Im bogged with backlog, but its def on my radar

Also could a pure of heart poster hold me down with an unwanted PASBR code? You'll have a new PSN friend for life in return :D /shameless beg

Carnby

Has only tried Turing the sound effects down and keeping the music at 100%? That made the music audible in the demo.

So seriously guys, Is this turning out better or worse than GoW3?? (which I loved)

I welcome full impressions and details but let's also cut straight to the chase...
I cant pick this up right now since Im bogged with backlog, but its def on my radar

Also could a pure of heart poster hold me down with an unwanted PASBR code? You'll have a new PSN friend for life in return :D /shameless beg

It's not better than GoW3.

GoW3 has better sound design/mixing, better boss battles (Ascension only has 4 and maybe 2 of them are decent), more weapons that you can mix up the combat with (Ascension only has one main weapon with 4 different elements, and like I said previously - a mostly useless sub-weapons system).

Also, I might be crazy but I think GoW3 looks better than Ascension in visual fidelity and style.

TentPole

This combat is freaking me out. I honestly cannot tell if they succeeded in making it far more nuanced and technical, or if they have completely fucked it up.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Has only tried Turing the sound effects down and keeping the music at 100%? That made the music audible in the demo.

The sound issues are more than just music. Stuff seems like it outright isn't working, like after the hand rips open and the monster slams his swords in the ground there was no accompanying effect for me when the swords made contact. It makes stuff lose a ton of impact.

This combat is freaking me out. I honestly cannot tell if they succeeded in making it far more nuanced and technical, or if they have completely fucked it up.

From the looks of this page(and what I've been playing), maybe both!

This game has some pretty good puzzles though. Better than Tomb Raider, lol

BadAss2961

The sound issues are more than just music. Stuff seems like it outright isn't working, like after the hand rips open and the monster slams his swords in the ground there was no accompanying effect for me when the swords made contact. It makes stuff lose a ton of impact.
So is it confirmed that playing in stereo fixes the sound issues?

DigitalOp

Banned

GoW3 has better sound design/mixing, better boss battles (Ascension only has 4 and maybe 2 of them are decent), more weapons that you can mix up the combat with (Ascension only has one main weapon with 4 different elements, and like I said previously - a mostly useless sub-weapons system).

Also, I might be crazy but I think GoW3 looks better than Ascension in visual fidelity and style.

Wow, very interesting indeed.... Ill be stunned to find out that SSM happened to mess up the GoW formula like that.

Storywise, I understand its a prequel but why does it appear so limiting?... It's like the player really has nothing at all at his disposal

You are crazy, try comparing the first boss with gaia, much better texture resolution. Also kratos looks a lot better in ascension than he did in god of war 3.

Helscream

Banned
I just got my Collector's Edition in from UPS. I was really impressed they delivered it this early. Normally they wait till freakin 8PM at night before they bring shit to my house. Funny thing is the UPS guy said: "I don't like delivering in this neighborhood at night. So I decided to drop this package off early." Really cracked me up a bit.

Now for some God of War.

alienator

being a silly european, i could only pick up the game today, and to be honest, after reading all the comments here the last couple of days, worried like hell how the game would turn out.

Well turns out the game is a blast to play, has marvelous ps3 gfx and makes me wonder wtf is wrong with some ppl nitpicking over the smallest things or blowing things out of proportions. Only played till the first medusa sofar but the opening battle with stick in my mind for a while. Its god of war people, u beat stuff up in the most brutal way possible and i really like the little fight system tweaks, throwing and chaining and ripping everything apart.

Im having a blast sofar. Santa monica, <3

george_us

I disagree at least so far. GoW3 starts off amazing but takes a nose dive into merely "good" pretty much after you beat Hades. Ascension, at least for me, has been a steady rise and the
Prophet Castor
is second only to Hades. If the
Hecatonchires
fight had more of a visual impact I'd place that above Poseidon as well if we're talking about pure gameplay. I liked the boss patterns and the little wrinkle they throw in better than any of the earlier GoW fights.

As far as visuals go, I strongly disagree. GoW:A has better lighting, much more even art direction, and better texture work than GoW3. It's framerate is about even with GoW3s (at least so far), as GoW3 mostly ran at 30 FPS with the occasional jump to 60, just like this. The only thing Ascension has lacked imo is a truly jaw dropping scene like Mount Olympus and Hades but it doesn't have near the lows GoW3 in art direction so far.

eshwaaz

I've been Stereo this whole time, sound issues galore. Sword hits without a whisper, bugs explode without a boom, attacks are blocked without a clang.
That seals it - no purchase for me. I was hoping the missing sound effects would be fixed in the final. I don't know if I have a bigger gaming pet peeve than impacts with no accompanying sound. It absolutely kills the sense of physicality and force.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm playing with the PS3 headphones and the Headphones setting in the options menu made things better but still not right. I have a feeling that's why some people are feeling underwhelmed so far. Nothing seems to have a proper impact.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm leaning towards a 6 if the game keeps up at the pace it's been going since it started. Although I noticed Kotaku said the last half of the game really picks up and they explained most of the problems I had with the first half so far so I'm inclined to believe them. I didn't keep reading for spoilers purposes.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Playing this on an older 'hd' CRT (since my main equipment is on a boat) and I swear the lower resolution of this display has massive benefits for 720p games. It can't quite resolve all of those pixels so you end up with something skin to downsampling. Game looks like CG, basically. Not a single jagged edge to be found.

CRTs still have a magical quality to their image that has been lost with LCDs. There is a richness that you just don't get with modern displays.

ascii42

Playing this on an older 'hd' CRT (since my main equipment is on a boat) and I swear the lower resolution of this display has massive benefits for 720p games. It can't quite resolve all of those pixels so you end up with something skin to downsampling. Game looks like CG, basically. Not a single jagged edge to be found.

CRTs still have a magical quality to their image that has been lost with LCDs. There is a richness that you just don't get with modern displays.

Some games are like that. I played Killzone 2 on a CRT, and it looked spectacular.

Best Buy seems to have no idea why the preorder bonuses weren't in the boxes. Sounds about right for them. Silly me, ordering from Best Buy and expecting to get what I bought with no issues.

Mifune

Mehmber
Best Buy seems to have no idea why the preorder bonuses weren't in the boxes. Sounds about right for them. Silly me, ordering from Best Buy and expecting to get what I bought with no issues.

I'd blame SSM for that one. So focused on multiplayer that they don't even include the right shit in the box.

Can't wait for this fucking generation to end.

Mad_Ban

Is there going to be a patch for the audio issues? Having watched a few bits of footage (especially the obtaining of "That" trophy), it seems like some sound effects and music are just plain missing in some scenes. I'd love to pick this up, but I really feel like those issues would detract from my enjoyment of the game.

Sorry if I've missed anything on the last few pages.

so for people who've played The infamous Trail of archimedies, how how is it? Did a lot of reviewers like Sessler and the IGN review(6 fuckin hours? You gotta be joking), were they over exaggerating?

My timer says 8 hours right now and almost 2 hours spent on this stupid trial. Good way to pad the length of your game >_>

BadAss2961

The SP team for Ascension must of had a lot less to work with in terms of production values. The narrative is nearly non-existent.
Which is disappointing to hear since this story could've been really simple but very impactful. The live-action commercial shows the potential.

This second half is definitely stronger than the first. The art direction is better, the enemy encounters are better, and this boss fight I just finished is one of the best in the series. Mechanically complex, visually interesting, and "Bros before Hos" trophy just popped up, goddamn I'm offended

All Gorgons try to do is grab you. It's so damn cheap and causes your rage meter to go down quick. You can't even roll away from it or block it, since it homes in on you fast and it has a long distance.

WHAT DID I JUST PLAY. I think GoW PS4 will just melt my brain.
Holy fucking fuck that final fight. How is that even possible on PS3. That was so FUCKING epic, holy shit.

Awesome game, from start to finish, except the 10 min NeoGAF break I finished it in one sitting, ~7:30hours I think.

Like I said last page, screw you haters, this game is simply awesome.

Top Bottom