• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

njean777

well i am stuck on the first boss, it wants to press L1 and i do and it keeps on failing...

edit: oops did not see the R1 prompt, lol I am dumb

Hehe. Nice I can just sit back and watch some of you suffer...

I'm surprised there are a lot of haters though, the game was pretty good.

Thanks, however on the voucher, it says valid form March 1, 2013 to March 31 2014.

Yea, that drove me mad. I got the game a couple weeks ago and kept trying the code in hopes something would happen... next week.
I give up on this part for tonight. What a bunch of BS.

Never encountered anything like it in previous GoW games.

Muhahaha! If you are stuck on that part, you have to take a break and then come back to it going really slow and careful.

I'm assuming this guy gets paid to write about games? That's very professional if that's the case. I bet the people that spent the last 3 years pouring their lifes into this game really appreciate that.

True that brotha'. No respect.

elbourreau

Started the game, 3h gaming. The prologue is even more massive than the third one. But less involving.
The game looks GORGEOUS!! Anyone saying ascension is less beautyfull than GoW3 hasn't played the game or is blind (and I only played 3 h!!!).

Gameplay is broken in the begining (after prologue) untill you have powered up a little! There is too few moves that can break enemies paterns. So first couple hours are a bit frustrating. I wouldn't be surprised if some gamers stopped before this! Not a good choice, Papy!

Too much "sliding scenes". Just too much.

Sound is a pain, ther's often no ambiant sounds, it turns off 2sec and turn back ON.... Will you fix it, SSM?

I'm going back to the game! The longer I play, the more I enjoy!

I like the combat system in ascension better than the other god of wars, instead of landing the automatic finishing blow on enemies like the medusa and the juggernauts, you have to dodge their attacks while trying to kill them. Very well done in that regard.

george_us

Ok this
final(?) Hecatonchires fight
is fucking awesome. Opening somewhat redeemed.

Edit: Holy fucking shit. Opening DEFINITELY redeemed.

Derrick01

Banned
I like the combat system in ascension better than the other god of wars, instead of landing the automatic finishing blow on enemies like the medusa and the juggernauts, you have to dodge their attacks while trying to kill them. Very well done in that regard.

The gameplay is about the only thing I can praise so far. The combat seems like a natural step up from previous games but everything else has taken at least 1 step back, making this a kind of boring game so far. Not bad, but I'm kind of just going through the motions so far.

I really don't like having my most powerful attacks stuck behind Rage meter. You're stuck using a LOT of light attacks and good ol' square square triangle. Or abusing the R1 grapple. The attack arenas when you get the magic to try it out is pretty small, and enemy attack animations just eat through many of your light attacks. So you find yourself rolling around a lot, doing light attacks to build Rage, but one of the 6 bad guys around you lands a hit because they're always fuckin' attacking on Hard with this big knockback attack, and the rage meter goes down again. You try to get room and do your heavy attacks, but oh wait, don't have those anymore, dummy. Back to light attacks again.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Ok this
final(?) Hecatonchires fight
is fucking awesome. Opening somewhat redeemed.

Edit: Holy fucking shit. Opening DEFINITELY redeemed.

It was a pretty cool idea but badly executed.

elbourreau

I really don't like having my most powerful attacks stuck behind Rage meter. You're stuck using a LOT of light attacks and good ol' square square triangle. Or abusing the R1 grapple. The attack arenas when you get the magic to try it out is pretty small, and enemy attack animations just eat through many of your light attacks. So you find yourself rolling around a lot, doing light attacks to build Rage, but one of the 6 bad guys around you lands a hit because they're always fuckin' attacking on Hard with this big knockback attack, and the rage meter goes down again. You try to get room and do your heavy attacks, but oh wait, don't have those anymore, dummy. Back to light attacks again.

Totally agree, the beginning of the game is quite frustrating! But when you powerup enough the blades and the elementals, it unlock moves that can break some ennemies paterns.

But it's a bit tricky...

Yay mine game. Nice to see that TLOU thing is just a sticker too. YOU LEARNED, SONY.

Thank goodness, too many nice covers ruined by demo info prints. Going to pick this up in a minute, really looking forward to it and hopefully my expectations will be lived up to. I play PS3 games with the Pulse Elite headset (had to get rid of old surround system, no money for a nice new one) so hopefully I don't run into some of the current mixing issues.

george_us

The main problems I'm having so far from this game is that A) the story doesn't really hook you right away like previous GoW games and B) it doesn't seem to be as bombastic right off the bat like the other games. In terms of raw gameplay though I like this equally, if not more, than the previous games. Combat is a good step up from GoW3.

There's not much of a driving force behind the game so far. In GoW1, you always seemed to have an objective, getting to the Temple of Pandora, getting Pandora's box, Killing Ares. Or getting to the Island/Sister of Fate in GoW2, or climbing Mount Olympus to kick Zeus' ass.

Here...there's something about go to "???" to learn the truth! The truth? Uh ok. The Furies haven't had any kind of presence narrative wise either, so there's no big bad to focus on. You kinda just go through the motions, with no idea where you are, where you're headed, why you're doing this.

TentPole

There's not much of a driving force behind the game so far. In GoW1, you always seemed to have an objective, getting to the Temple of Pandora, getting Pandora's box, Killing Ares. Or getting to the Island/Sister of Fate in GoW2, or climbing Mount Olympus to kick Zeus' ass.

Here...there's something about go to "???" to learn the truth! The truth? Uh ok. The Furies haven't had any kind of presence narrative wise either, so there's no big bad to focus on. You kinda just go through the motions, with no idea where you are, where you're headed, why you're doing this.

I know I am trying to get to the Oracle of Delphi... but I can't remember why.

Could i get the code instead?

Sure, I will PM you latter.

Sorral

Should've gone to Specsavers.

Not sure who to trust, both insulting each other that they have vision problems.

I cracked up at that more than I should have.
It reminds me of the reactions at the intro. Some say it is the worst in the whole series (apparently even when compared to GoW1) and others say it is one of the best.

I guess thisisneogaf.gif is appropriate here?

What the heck. :lol

Loudninja

I cracked up at that more than I should have.

It reminds me of the reactions at the intro. Some say it is the worst in the whole series (apparently even when compared to GoW1) and others say it is one of the best.

I guess thisisgaf.gif is appropriate here?
Different opinions,I am pretty sure GOW3 was like this as well.

Not talking about the intro though.

Derrick01

Banned

I agree with this too. I'm not sure if I accidentally skipped a cutscene right after the boss from the intro but I have no idea what I'm doing or where I'm going. I already have 2 elemental upgrades and they both mention learning the truth....to something.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I hate to annoy people here, but I will going ahead and say it here. If anyone don't want Isaac and Zeus Code for Playstation All-Star Battle Royale Code, please private mail me the code. I would appreciate it a lot.

Top Bottom