• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

These impressions, these reviews.......I feel like crying lmao :(

What? Just believe me:

WHAT DID I JUST PLAY. I think GoW PS4 will just melt my brain.
Holy fucking fuck that final fight. How is that even possible on PS3. That was so FUCKING epic, holy shit.

Awesome game, from start to finish, except the 10 min NeoGAF break I finished it in one sitting, ~7:30hours I think.

Like I said last page, screw you haters, this game is simply awesome.
Today 11:44 PM

Quoted, because start the new page with REAL impressions!

I have a journalistic background, game development history, and worked as a tester.

If you want, I can give you my impressions once I get a few hours in. So far though, I'm having a lot of fun and don't agree with all of the issues (yet?).

You sure like to complain, every 5 post is you complaining, we get it you don't like the game move on.

"I ONLY WANT TO READ POSITIVE IMPRESSIONS. THESE ARE REAL TO ME! SCREW THE HATERS!" Give me a break.

If this thread is only to discuss the positive side of GoW:A, then you are sorely mistaken my friend. There are some redeeming qualities about this game, but many frustrating design choices. Don't like it as much as previous GoW games, but there is fun to be had here nonetheless.

Also, I FINALLY BEAT THE TRIAL. HOLY ****! The key is to have 50% health going into round 2 and spam magic.

Mik_Pad

Banned
If thread is only to discuss the positive side of GoW:A, then you are sorely mistaken my friend. There are some redeeming qualities about this game, but many frustrating design choices. Don't like it as much as previous GoW games, but there is fun to be had here nonetheless.

Also, I FINALLY BEAT THE TRIAL. HOLY ****! The key is to have 50% health going into round 2 and spam magic.
I'm not saying that, just read the last page so you can see how many times you complained about the game as I said I think most people know you don't like it. I'm not saying only postive comments should be made since everyone has the right to voice their thoughts about anything but you my friend are annoying as hell.

Just saw your edit, my friend continue whining all you want I don't care anymore.

Camjo-Z

Alright, finally got the game! I'll probably play a bit of the single-player and then jump into multiplayer... once I'm finished downloading this buttload of DLC I got from the CE, of course.

Dude, there are plenty of positive impressions. If you focus only on the negative stuff you just won't enjoy the game.
Also, that multiplayer is pretty awesome (as far as I could tell from the beta).
Just played my first multiplayer match.

ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg
Do the tutorial. That will really help you get use to the controls. Also, remember to use upgrade points to unlock new gear/weapons/magic.

I'm not saying that, just read the last page so you can see how many times you complained about the game as I said I think most people know you don't like it. I'm not saying only postive comments should be made since everyone has the right to voice their thoughts about anything but you my friend are annoying as hell.

I'm really not trying to cram the fact that "I don't like the game". Sorry that you find my opinions on the game annoying, even though I'm offering constructive criticism on the game instead of going "LOL THIS GAME SUCKS, GOW3 10x BETTER".

There's nothing wrong with complaining, in my case anyway, since the game is frustrating. I've mentioned previously that I've never really hit a wall like this in previous GoW games on Titan mode. Really caught me by surprise, so I had to use cheap tactics to win.

The Lamp

You sure like to complain, every 5 post is you complaining, we get it you don't like the game move on.

Chill. This isn't a circle jerk. It's the GOWA thread and anyone should be allowed to discuss their impressions of the game at any point.

Unfortunately since I'm tight on money, the impressions in this thread have sealed it for me: ill pick this one up in the bargain bin.

Mik_Pad

Banned
I'm really not trying to cram the fact that "I don't like the game". Sorry that you find my opinions on the game annoying, even though I'm offering constructive criticism on the game instead of going "LOL THIS GAME SUCKS, GOW3 10x BETTER".

There's nothing wrong with complaining, in my case anyway, since the game is frustrating. I've mentioned previously that I've never really hit a wall like this in previous GoW games on Titan mode. Really caught me by surprise, so I had to use cheap tactics to win.
I apologize then, carry on.

I like the environments much more than GOW3. Some parts remind me of GOW2's lush, jungle environments. I'm enjoying it so far, and it's great to get a GOW game with colors again.

I'm loving the multiplayer. It has a ton of depth, and is a great breath of fresh air from the all the COD's.

There's a lot I dont understand yet though. With the objectives and the levels. What everything does, or how it affects the battle. The levels change and things happen, and I have no clue why or even what it means. They didn't do a good job explaining this stuff.

Its a ton of fun though!

I'm loving the multiplayer. It has a ton of depth, and is a great breath of fresh air from the all the COD's.

There's a lot I dont understand yet though. With the objectives and the levels. What everything does, or how it affects the battle. The levels change and things happen, and I have no clue why or even what it means. They didn't do a good job explaining this stuff.

Its a ton of fun though!

Really? I had the same problem in the beta, and assumed they'd add a more detailed tutorial and hints for the final game :(

Reckon it might be worth typing up a quick guide for unexplained mechanics when I get my hands on it?

Yeah so... this game is completely fucking awesome so far.

From a series vet. All games, PSP included, beaten on hard or above. Fucking. Love. This.

The complete Hechatonchires scene is mind blowing. It's on par with Poseidon.

Seriously, fuck the hate. Well done, SSM.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I have a journalistic background, game development history, and worked as a tester.

If you want, I can give you my impressions once I get a few hours in. So far though, I'm having a lot of fun and don't agree with all of the issues (yet?).

Yes please, more impressions the better :)

glad some of you guys are enjoying it. What the hell man there are so many conflicting opinions lol

picking it up tomorrow :)

TEH-CJ

Banned
Dude, there are plenty of positive impressions. If you focus only on the negative stuff you just won't enjoy the game.
Also, that multiplayer is pretty awesome (as far as I could tell from the beta).

Do the tutorial. That will really help you get use to the controls. Also, remember to use upgrade points to unlock new gear/weapons/magic.

True man. Cant wait to dig into the multiplayer and co op.

Really? I had the same problem in the beta, and assumed they'd add a more detailed tutorial and hints for the final game :(

Reckon it might be worth typing up a quick guide for unexplained mechanics when I get my hands on it?

Yea the tutorial is just pretty much what was in the demo. The advanced part has a few more things added in. The tutorial is purely combat related. Definitely would be nice to have a guide for Trail of the Gods mode, and a specifc explination for each level, cause there all different.

This second half definitely picks up and feels like a quality GOW game. I still don't like what they've done with the combat system, the story is still non-existent, and the first half is largely a bust, but it's been improving! It's not a bad video game at all, even though it might still be the worse console GoW!

grendelrt

Started playing and the surround sound seems all out of wack, the volumes are weird as hell. So far the game is pretty epic though =)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think I'll like the game a lot more once these audio issues are fixed. They're really what's keeping the combat from feeling quite as satisfying because it doesn't have the same punch when you hit something. Mechanically combat is a lot better but the sound stuff is holding it back. Hopefully it's an easy fix.

Just got to
Delphi
and the game is picking up for me, they just made some odd choices in the early areas. Environments are definitely more interesting than in GoW3 so far and the visuals are absolutely insane.

george_us

Series fatigue. It happens.
Nah I don't think it's franchise fatigue at all, the last console GoW game came out three years ago. A lot of people play GoW games for their presentation and overall bombast and Ascension is lacking in those departments compared to previous games. If those elements aren't as important to you then I feel GoW:A's gameplay is second to only GoW2's which is my favorite game in the franchise. Combat is improved over 3, the level design is a bit worse than 2's but a good step up from 3's, and the game is drop dead gorgeous. Ascension is a flawed game for sure but the majority of those flaws come from the presentation side of things imo.

Nah I don't think it's franchise fatigue at all, the last console GoW game came out three years ago. A lot of people play GoW games for their presentation and overall bombast and Ascension is lacking in those departments compared to previous games. If those elements aren't as important to you then I feel GoW:A's gameplay is second to only GoW2's which is my favorite game in the franchise. Combat is improved over 3, the level design is a bit worse than 2's but a good step up from 3's, and the game is drop dead gorgeous. Ascension is a flawed game for sure but the majority of those flaws come from the presentation side of things imo.

Def understandable. I think some people are really making the game out to be a complete stinker though. Which is what is scaring some folks. Sometimes people have a hard time expressing dissapointment, versus acting like the game flat out sucks.

SSReborn

Yeah the negative impressions in my opinion are off I've been having a great time with the game. I think franchise fatigue can hit a little heavier this time around however especially when you start to see similar enemy types from past games start popping up.

I think if you've liked God of War games of past then you will definitely like this one. It actually kind of reminds me of the older games a bit.

As big of a GoW fan I am, I think I've had enough. Just not having any fun with this one.

Probably pick it up for $10-$15 sometime down the line. But I'm kinda sad I paid $60 for this.

(also, if anyone wants to pick this up a bit cheaper, check out my post in the buy/sell/trade thread)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm enjoying this quite a bit, so far. First and foremost, it has easily been the hardest GoW yet though some of it is me just playing dumb and some of it I'm not sure if it's a good or bad difficulty. Enemies feel a lot more aggressive, to the point where you can get hit while in hitstun repeatedly.

That said, without delving too far into the combat system I am liking the different elemental modifiers a lot. I've only just gotten Lightning so I am guessing I'm not far in the game yet, but the way these build up with the rage meter lets you wreck shit pretty satisfyingly. Fire makes delayed explosions, ice makes longer pillars(least favorite so far), and lighting summons bolts to keep enemies stunned and racks up your combo. Only seems to kick in these powerful attacks when you are at max bar which means getting hit knocks you out of it. Grappling is extremely powerful, and the triangle attack has loads of I-frames. I really like the takedowns letting you still have semi control while dodging instead of just hitting a button to do everything.

Of course, I've mainly been fighting rook enemies up to here so I'll have to see how I feel when I get more into it.

So is it confirmed that playing in stereo fixes the sound issues?

I've been Stereo this whole time, sound issues galore. Sword hits without a whisper, bugs explode without a boom, attacks are blocked without a clang.

^ what he said. It defaulted on Stereo for me, so I was sad to see that it isn't a fix for me.

grendelrt

^ what he said. It defaulted on Stereo for me, so I was sad to see that it isn't a fix for me.

What is pissing me off now is these issues were around during the reviews, so they shipped this game with major sound issues and no day 1 patch to fix them (also going to suck for people who arent online)

ebil

One thing this game does better than GOW3 is puzzles. I've come across some pretty good ones, which pleases me.

Not trying to be a perv, but where is the hidden booby-room in this game? And is there a trophy associated with finding it? I just beat the first boss, and I'm a bit into the second level, so I'm not that far in yet.

Better or worse than the Zeus fight at the end of GOW3? Based on impressions, it seems likes its much more intense and graphically impressive, would you agree?

I liked it better than the Zeus fight in GoW3. It was paced nicely, the visuals were superb and the scale of it topped the Poseidon battle as well.

Also, after you beat the game you unlock NG+ and 7 costumes for Kratos.

Top Bottom