• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

Reassuring to hear. What did you think about the cerberus + satyr fight in GoW3 for comparison?

I need to replay GoW3 to remember that one, but the Clone Battle from GoW1/Translator battle/Endurance Run from GoW2 were more difficult

What difficulty?

Hard

It's literally just light attack, block obvious visual cues for attacks, and lightening magic spam. QTE time, get blue orbs, do it again. Hell, the big guy on the third level gives you a HUGE amount of green orbs from his QTE. You don't even have to move around on the third level, just stand there and light attack/block attack/light attack

>_>

Fezan

So what is general consensus about this game

Can tfind it any where in Saudi Arabia :(
may have to smuggle it from some place else

I seriously dont understand some people saying the combat in Ascension is better than 3. I really dont. In Ascension, you have a bad parry system, less combos, and a under realized elemental system. The only cool thing about the combat is when you get two specific items later in the game, other than that I cant see how its better than 3 combat wise. In 3 you had more combination options coupled with the ability to switch weapons on the fly that worked dramatically different and gave you different evasive options. You had the bow which could help you juggle enemies, you had the hermes boots which you could incorporate into your offensive moves, the cestus had bounce back properties, the whip stunned enemies... i could go on. This game is a big step back combat wise. oh and I forgot, you could drag you self towards enemies and pull them towards you in 3 as well. SMH

I seriously dont understand some people saying the combat in Ascension is better than 3. I really dont. In Ascension, you have a bad parry system, less combos, and a under realized elemental system. The only cool thing about the combat is when you get two specific items later in the game, other than that I cant see how its better than 3 combat wise. In 3 you had more combination options coupled with the ability to switch weapons on the fly that worked dramatically different and gave you different evasive options. You had the bow which could help you juggle enemies, you had the hermes boots which you could incorporate into your offensive moves, the cestus had bounce back properties, the whip stunned enemies... i could go on. This game is a big step back combat wise. oh and I forgot, you could drag you self towards enemies and pull them towards you in 3 as well. SMH

Agreed. GOWA's combat is shit compared to GOW3.

Nope this is the best combat in the series

No way in hell GOW3 is better in that area.

The demo had better combat than the full game. That's a fact. It's quite sad what they did to the retail version. Hopefully they release a patch that makes the basic combat more satisfying and not just the "special" attacks.

If anyone else is not going to use their PSABR code I'd love it, play the game quite a bit. Now that the shameless begging is done, off to go pick up a copy of GoW now, wasn't feeling up for the drive but I suppose it won't buy itself. Should use amazon more :D

By the way, could someone describe the length of the coop content? Really excited to run through it with a friend.

zychi

Banned
I'd like to ask for someone's All-Star code if they aren't going to use it.

I offer one internet high five for it :lol

Derrick01

Banned
I think my game is too quiet...what is wrong with the sound?

It's completely fucked. Switching to stereo raises the volume of the overall sound but it still has too many missing or strangely quiet sounds. It's completely awful sound work and I don't know how no one picked up on it before the game shipped.

OSHAN

Since there isn't another thread for it, if someone isn't going to use their PSA DLC, I'll be grateful if you send it my way. Thanks in advance.

Ljwinter

Banned
So I've only beaten GOW1 and the first PSP game. Played a little of GOW2 and GOW3 and none of the 2nd PSP games. Question is, should I not play this game unless I play the others or does it really not matter?

Batman

Banned
It's completely fucked. Switching to stereo raises the volume of the overall sound but it still has too many missing or strangely quiet sounds. It's completely awful sound work and I don't know how no one picked up on it before the game shipped.

Does anybody from the studio that made this game post on neogaf? I hope they are working on a fix for it.

Wow, the art direction in this game is beatiful. I'm in Kirra's Harbor right now and it looks gorgeous. I'm enjoying the game a lot more than GOW3, too. Ascension is to GOW3 as the second game was to the first. In other words, superior in every way. :)

I'm really liking the different elemental powers you can choose between. Zeus' is my favorite so far. It feels great when a giant thunderbolt slams into the ground.

Wow, the art direction in this game is beatiful. I'm in Kirra's Harbor right now and it looks gorgeous. I'm enjoying the game a lot more than GOW3, too. Ascension is to GOW3 as the second game was to the first. In other words, superior in every way. :)

I'm really liking the different elemental powers you can choose between. Zeus' is my favorite so far. It feels great when a giant thunderbolt slams into the ground.

Square Square Triangle Plumes and L1 Special attacks are enhanced when Rage Meter is full.

Ricky_R

The lack of feedback from SMM about the sound issues is worrisome. I want to know if they will fix it so I can wait for the patch before buying.

Welp I know LoudNinja made the topic for this but I figure I'll only post this once.
If anybody in NA does not want their All Stars code I'd gracefully accept it.
Sorry to interrupt your GOW talk guys :D

BadAss2961

...That was it? THAT was the Trial of Archimedes every review has been bitching about? The one the IGN guy took SIX HOURS ON? And I beat it on my second try?

iq7Ae1KmUQkS4.gif

C'mon now, ya'll. Just apply a LITTLE action game knowledge here.
I figured. I've been playing beat'em ups/brawlers/action games my whole life, maybe my favorite genre. So i'm not worried about anything a God of War will throw at me.
The lack of feedback from SMM about the sound issues is worrisome. I want to know if they will fix it so I can wait for the patch before buying.

They've got a couple of guys that post here, including the director. I'm sure they'll report back when they get a handle on the issue. They probably just don't want to make any early promises.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Game gets a lot better after the first hour and a half or so. It feels like a proper GoW now. Exploration, puzzles, and environments are way better than 3. Still trying to get a hold of the different elements and the world weapons but combat is starting to click now. The combat feels quite a bit different from the previous ones. I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing yet.

BadAss2961

Game gets a lot better after the first hour and a half or so. It feels like a proper GoW now. Exploration, puzzles, and environments are way better than 3. Still trying to get a hold of the different elements and the world weapons but combat is starting to click now. The combat feels quite a bit different from the previous ones. I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing yet.
That's what I like to hear.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Are the sound issues worth holding off on playing the game? Or are they a relatively minor nuisance

Pretty minor, though the sound design is just kind of off in general. I'd just play it.

I think that part of what people are noticing is that when Kratos is far away, everything is more muffled. I assumed it was on purpose, but maybe it's not; there are definitely issues with the sound that a game of this caliber should not have.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That's what I like to hear.

It definitely feels a lot like GoW2 in terms of environment progression. Great variety already, about 3 hours in, and some very creative stuff.

BTW, the sound issues seem to only affect the first couple areas of the game. I haven't had an issue with them since reaching
Temple of Delphi

Jigolo

Comparing the intros of GOW:A and GOW3, I have to go with GOW3. Just much more epic for me.

2 questions

I upgraded my Blades of Chaos to level 1 before the "3 weeks earlier" and I kept my upgrade. Does anyone else find this stupid?

Is there a way to take off elements and just use the blades?

Ricky_R

They've got a couple of guys that post here, including the director. I'm sure they'll report back when they get a handle on the issue. They probably just don't want to make any early promises.

I know tank, and even Todd have been active here. I just figured they would've said something by now, anything, since the sound issues were been reported since the last demo got out.

Hope there's a response this week.

Top Bottom