• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What is pissing me off now is these issues were around during the reviews, so they shipped this game with major sound issues and no day 1 patch to fix them (also going to suck for people who arent online)

I saw someone from the dev team post here and ask about it fairly recently, seemed surprised. I am guessing this (somehow) slipped through without them knowing, like the UC3 busted aiming only not nearly as severe. Have any reviews actually mentioned it?

I liked it better than the Zeus fight in GoW3. It was paced nicely, the visuals were superb and the scale of it topped the Poseidon battle as well.

Also, after you beat the game you unlock NG+ and 7 costumes for Kratos.

Love hearing that. 3 was a huge letdown with costumes.

Just got past the
3 snakes
on Hard and the game is really picking up. I'm enjoying everything so far, even if most of my fights against humanoids consist of me throwing them into each other over and over.

Sound mix is totally fucked up though. I stunned one of the regular enemies and grabbed him and started running him around. We slammed into at least 5 other enemies but there was no impact for any of them. Total absence of sound.

Gold_Loot

I'm about 45 minutes past the demo section. Loving the color and atmosphere in the city. Game is fun.. It may not be "the best!" GoW, but it's still fucking GoW.

Manus

Besides the audio issues I'm loving this game. Only about 2 hours in and can say I'm enjoying it as much as 3. I do think it can be easy to lose Kratos on some fights. The glow on his chains should not be white.

TentPole

Alright I feel like I am missing something when it comes to the elemental powers.

1. Am I correct in my understanding that to get the specific orb types from enemies that you have to defeat them with your rage meter full? If so then what is the point of fire giving you gold orbs since to get them your rage meter must be full first? Aren't gold orbs for filling your meter?

2. I have to assume that there is some kinda elemental weaknesses going on since so many enemies are obviously based on the four elements. Anyone know anything about this?

3. Is ice just better at breaking enemies guard by default or do you need a full meter first?

4. You are suppose to be able to use a small portion of your meter to do power attacks with the L1 modifier attacks, but I don't notice any deference between using them with or without meter.

I am so very confused.

grendelrt

I saw someone from the dev team post here and ask about it fairly recently, seemed surprised. I am guessing this (somehow) slipped through without them knowing, like the UC3 busted aiming only not nearly as severe. Have any reviews actually mentioned it?

Love hearing that. 3 was a huge letdown with costumes.

Yup it was mentioned in thesixthaxis review,
"Our copies had serious audio issues though. Music frequently cut out, speech was often out of sync and the mix felt completely wrong – some sound effects were inaudible and others far too loud. Let’s hope that’s fixed for launch."

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/03/07/god-of-war-ascension-review-ps3/

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
Things I don't like about this game :
The Soundtrack is not epic enough for a Gow game. Sometimes it's even borderline boring.
The Story. I don't know what the f I'm doing and why.
Parry now is L1+x. Why ?
I can see alot of people getting frustrated by this game. Im a big gow fan so I can manage the combat just fine, but I feel like there are alot of cheap tricks in this game. My advise, use the invisibility frames when trowing your oppenents with r1. This helped me alot.
Kratos is so boring in this game. He has no personality what so ever.

Things I like:
The visuals are amazing and so are the locals you will visit.
Combat is still fun as ever.
This is even more brutal than the other games,but its also violence in a over the top comedy kind of way.

redhot_

You sound like a sore loser lol

Avoid getting yourself in situations like that and sprint away if possible

That's the thing, when there's a few guys on you it's tough to get away.

Just not my cup of tea I guess, Not a fan of watching people run away 50% of the time anyway.

Drencrom

That's the thing, when there's a few guys on you it's tough to get away.

Just not my cup of tea I guess, Not a fan of watching people run away 50% of the time anyway.

I have personally no problems with opponents either ganging up on me or running away from me as much as you apparently, but you could always test out other modes like 2v2, 4 player Free-for-all and co-op

No mucking about in those modes

Derrick01

Banned
What the hell, I got to a part where the camera's stuck. I was able to navigate off screen to a cutscene nearby but now I have no idea what to do as it's still stuck.

"I ONLY WANT TO READ POSITIVE IMPRESSIONS. THESE ARE REAL TO ME! SCREW THE HATERS!" Give me a break.

If this thread is only to discuss the positive side of GoW:A, then you are sorely mistaken my friend. There are some redeeming qualities about this game, but many frustrating design choices. Don't like it as much as previous GoW games, but there is fun to be had here nonetheless.

Also, I FINALLY BEAT THE TRIAL. HOLY ****! The key is to have 50% health going into round 2 and spam magic.

yeah i remember somebody saying if you have any hope getting past the last round, you need to use magic the whole time.

Papercuts

Alright I feel like I am missing something when it comes to the elemental powers.

1. Am I correct in my understanding that to get the specific orb types from enemies that you have to defeat them with your rage meter full? If so then what is the point of fire giving you gold orbs since to get them your rage meter must be full first? Aren't gold orbs for filling your meter?

2. I have to assume that there is some kinda elemental weaknesses going on since so many enemies are obviously based on the four elements. Anyone know anything about this?

3. Is ice just better at breaking enemies guard by default or do you need a full meter first?

4. You are suppose to be able to use a small portion of your meter to do power attacks with the L1 modifier attacks, but I don't notice any deference between using them with or without meter.

I am so very confused.

1. In a sense, but the fire magic lights everyone up and could be a way to build it. I am not sure what the R3+L3 thing is meant to do since it hits one enemy and uses the whole(?) bar, I haven't seen how much a gold orb fills it up.

2. I think I read someone post about it seemingly not having an effect, but that seems weird because I have noticed the same. Chimera is clearly using ice, flying thing is clearly using fire, etc.

3. Seems by default. The four square combo is actually really good from the start.

4. No idea on this yet.

Derrick01

Banned
So yeah no matter what I do that camera glitch is still happening. I guess I've just run into my first game breaking glitch in many years.

edit: On a quick side question, how many chapters are there? I'm already on 13 and I'm only about 3 hours and 20 minutes in. Seems really far.

Drencrom

What the hell, I got to a part where the camera's stuck. I was able to navigate off screen to a cutscene nearby but now I have no idea what to do as it's still stuck.

They're hopefully working on a patch as we speak for these weird camera and sound issues. I have a hard time to believe that they purposely shipped the game with the SP in this state.

Where is Just_Tank? I want to honestly ask him how they didn't notice these problems that are apparent even in the intro.

Loudninja

So yeah no matter what I do that camera glitch is still happening. I guess I've just run into my first game breaking glitch in many years.

edit: On a quick side question, how many chapters are there? I'm already on 13 and I'm only about 3 hours and 20 minutes in. Seems really far.
I think its 30 chapters.

redhot_

The only way to fix the stuck cameras is to restart the chapter

hawk2025

About to start the game -- I'm hearing that the difficulty is much more unbalanced on this one.

If I played 2 and 3 on Hard first, should I do the same here, or just start on Normal and enjoy the ride? I'm really torn on what to do, I do remember struggling a little bit more than I'd like on 3 by starting on Hard at some specific spots, but I also don't want a walk in the park...

jaypah

Just got back from the store, pretty hyped to get into this. But I need a shower first. If anyone needs the PSASBR (?) code I have one.

Impressions of the demo:

The blurry upscaled image hurts my eyes. Where am I? Wow, this hurts my eyes. Where is Kratos!? Everything's blending together. Ugh, my eyes hurt, *turns on lights*, nope, that didn't help. *Turns off lights*. *Checks brightness settings* *Sits farther away... sits closer* Gah! Nothing helps. Still am not sure where Kratos is 60% of the time. Ugh, I'm so bored and my eyes can't take this anymore.

To clarify, the game is beautiful and my framerate was good for the 25-30 minutes I played. It just literally hurt my eyes. The IQ was just blurred enough to make my eyes want to squint the whole time, which led to loads of eye strain.

Please, PS4, every game at native 1080p res. I'm so tired of blurry upscaled mires. Deleted the demo; glad I didn't impulse buy the game. Hope everyone else enjoys it.

...That was it? THAT was the Trial of Archimedes every review has been bitching about? The one the IGN guy took SIX HOURS ON? And I beat it on my second try?

iq7Ae1KmUQkS4.gif

C'mon now, ya'll. Just apply a LITTLE action game knowledge here.

Papercuts

can the sound issue even be fixed?

I would think so assuming the sound bytes actually exist. By some reports the sound is fine, I'm actually about to try and find a handful of playthroughs and watch for a specific enemy rly on to break through a door to see if it is completely silent in all of them.

...That was it? THAT was the Trial of Archimedes every review has been bitching about? The one the IGN guy took SIX HOURS ON? And I beat it on my second try?

iq7Ae1KmUQkS4.gif

C'mon now, ya'll. Just apply a LITTLE action game knowledge here.

Reassuring to hear. What did you think about the cerberus + satyr fight in GoW3 for comparison?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Read a couple of people complaining previously here on GAF that there was no parry in this outing...but there is. Just power up the blades once (within the first hour) and then it's L1+X.

Papercuts

Read a couple of people complaining previously here on GAF that there was no parry in this outing...but there is. Just power up the blades once (within the first hour) and then it's L1+X.

I think people were complaining that it doesn't reflect ranged attacks.

Top Bottom