• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

Minion101

Banned
First hour in and my only complaint is the poor audio mix. A patch is needed to give the sounds effects some umph. During regular combat the effects are there. During the set piece encounters the effects never play and there isn't any use of the subwoofer. Dialog is crystal clear however.

The score in the GOW3 intro battle had tons of percussion. God of War Ascension intro battle has almost no audible music.

hawk2025

People complaining about the Steelbook.

It's... a Steelbook. Like, the patented, brand name Steelbook, I have no idea what you guys were expecting :p This is exactly the same as every other Steelbook I have, but in Blu-ray size.

Managed to play three multiplayer rounds. Wow, this is great fun. Tons of stuff going on around the levels, the combat is tweaked just enough to make it fun on a PvP setting, and if you'd rather not PvP, there's a lot to do in a support role by utilizing traps, activating the environment, etc. I like it.

I don't think you can do it during the battle when you first get the element though, I remember trying to switch during the third element battle and it wouldn't let me.

True, you're locked out during the area you acquire the new element. At their base, each element has unique square and slam finishers. The L1 specials, Rage and Magic attacks is where you get the varied functionality.

Been playing for the last 6 hours. Multiplayer.

I really enjoy it. Its not a shooter so it has that working for it ;)

Getting used to the combat, and slowly getting better at getting kills. Damn it sucks getting 2on1ed and 3on1ed though. holy balls.

Been playing for the last 6 hours. Multiplayer.

I really enjoy it. Its not a shooter so it has that working for it ;)

Getting used to the combat, and slowly getting better at getting kills. Damn it sucks getting 2on1ed and 3on1ed though. holy balls.

I liked the silent teamwork in the beta, where you'd just hang around with someone to prevent that happening to you, and give you the upper hand if you bump into a lone wanderer. It feels great taking two two enemies out in one encounter though :D

Is there voice chat?

Yes there is voice chat. Although Party voice chat is not a secluded chat :/ I was running around with 1-2 others most of the time and then you can put the hurt down on people. I love poseidon personally, as a support/tank.

And yes ive taken three people out by myself once. And successfully done a few 2v1s.

Sometimes you can position urself and knock people off ledges with powers and knockback attacks... OR THE HAMMER :D

Yes there is voice chat. Although Party voice chat is not a secluded chat :/ I was running around with 1-2 others most of the time and then you can put the hurt down on people. I love poseidon personally, as a support/tank.

And yes ive taken three people out by myself once. And successfully done a few 2v1s.

Sometimes you can position urself and knock people off ledges with powers and knockback attacks... OR THE HAMMER :D

I can do without party chat, but is there team chat? There'd better be

I found the beta a little unbalanced between swords and hammers, the hammers did not receive enough of a speed nerf to negate the bonus of being able to knock people away imo. Is it the same now?

Still gonna use a sword either way

Robot Pants

Having to wait 30+ minutes to download a day one patch before I could even play the game was not fun! That said, I'm having a good time with the game. I just finished beating GoW3 on Titan a couple of weeks ago, and as a result I'm having a difficult time adjusting to the new combat system (I started Ascension on the Hard difficulty). Overall I'm getting through battles without issue, but the damn goats are kicking my ass.

I died here enough times that I quit in frustration. Can someone give some combat protips for Hard mode? I roll all over the place and grapple like a madman, but the goats just do not stop spamming attacks over and over again. Also, my new "upgrade" (ice element) seems completely useless in this battle. I assume the battle is supposed to get me acquainted with my new power, but it's making me wish I could switch back to the first element.
R1 + triangle all day. Spam it until you thin them out. Unfortunately a lot of battles rely on this. Combat really sucks in this game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I can do without party chat, but is there team chat? There'd better be

I found the beta a little unbalanced between swords and hammers, the hammers did not receive enough of a speed nerf to negate the bonus of being able to knock people away imo. Is it the same now?

Still gonna use a sword either way

Too early to say, there are also spears now(I don't recall them in the beta). I will say the pickup spear no longer seems absurdly OP, lol.

MP is a lot of fun, liking the maps I've seen. Sound issues almost seem worse on that end though...I did the tutorial and it all seemed really muted, then the trophy DING was loud as fuck.

rdrr gnr

Holy fuck -- these fucking goats are straight killers. I just spammed the throw but it took trial and error. I just made it past the ice power gate towards what looks like
giant snake
. I have collected way more Gorgon Eyes than I have Phoenix Feathers. Is that everyone's experience or have I been missing Phoenix Feathers? I have yet to collect 5; whereas, I have about 7 Eyes.

?

Robot Pants

Holy fuck -- these fucking goats are straight killers. I just spammed the throw but it took trial and error. I just made it past the ice power gate towards what looks like
giant snake
. I have collected way more Gorgon Eyes than I have Phoenix Feathers. Is that everyone's experience or have I been missing Phoenix Feathers? I have yet to collect 5; whereas, I have about 7 Eyes.

?
You can miss a few chests and still get full health and magic upgrades and the achievement.

JABEE

The sound mix is bumming me out. I played a little bit over the Where the demo left off today. May wait a few days and hope they patch it. It's going to be tough to avoid playing it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
This game has some absolutely terrible camera angles at times. Fighting groups of enemies with the camera zoomed way out. Yeah, it looks nice and cinematic but it sure isn't very functional.

This game has some absolutely terrible camera angles at times. Fighting groups of enemies with the camera zoomed way out. Yeah, it looks nice and cinematic but it sure isn't very functional.

I noticed that they did the camera panning around thing for cinematic flair in certain areas, but slowly moved away from that. Terrible idea for this type of gane and not implemented well, IMO.

Has anyone else gotten stuck with a bug? I just got to the oracle and I'm in a room with two knights with hammers. The first time they both came at me but after I died only one of them is attacking. I've restarted from the checkpoint 3-4 times but the right knight will never leave the wall and attack so I can't progress.

Kacar

About 3-4 hours in and I'm loving it, classic GoW like I always remember and can just dive into, but to me so far it might be the worst of all the console games.

I think the main problem for me is how they decided to handle the powerups and weapon system. First of all I'm not feeling the temporary weapons you can pick up at all, it takes me out of the flow of the fighting (the ranged ones, javelin and sling, are the only ones i find useful at all) and usually causes my health to get destroyed. Also I don't think I can express how much better I thought it was to have permanent side weapons or magic abilities like hercules' fists, Spear of Destiny, etc. It just seems boring to me for them to really just do "glowing blades" as the powerups. But i don't know if this changes at all or gets better because I have yet to upgrade an ability other than the primary blades. I just killed the boss at the end of the Oracle Temple, was an awesome fight. (Also that new Medusa kill, my body was not ready).

Robot Pants

Yea I just beat the Trial on Hard also. Don't know why it took me so long before, I literally started the game up today and beat it on my first try. The first wave is really the hardest. The other two are pretty easy, it's just getting there is the hard part.

Plumpman

Anyone else have a hard crash in multiplayer? I had finished a game, was disconnected from host, and on my way back to the lobby it said that PSN was undergoing maintenance and hard crashed my ps3.

It's now doing the check and restore file system, ugh!

Robot Pants

Anyone else have a hard crash in multiplayer? I had finished a game, was disconnected from host, and on my way back to the lobby it said that PSN was undergoing maintenance and hard crashed my ps3.

I only tried it once, but I tried to go to the multiplayer and it didn't even load the next screen, just locked up. Then did the system check. Haven't tried since.

I just replayed the final boss, because it was late last night when I finished the game. Wow, it is SO awesome :D (I am eager to play it again on Hard)

Love, love, love this game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I hard crashed just entering the MP screen.

TEH-CJ

Banned
No, final rankings still stand:

GoW3 > GoW2=GoWA > GoS > CoO > GoW1

Just for the final boss.... maybe, can't decide. GoW3 was more of an epic standoff, while GoW:A is pure epic spectacle.

So what your saying I should be hyped playing this tomorrow? :)

So what your saying I should be hyped playing this tomorrow? :)

If you love God of War like me, you should be hyped through the roof. It is an awesome God of War Game. The feeling is more like GoW2 than GoW3, because you have a bigger "journey". The scale is epic, the kills brutal and the bosses awesome.

TEH-CJ

Banned
If you love God of War like me, you should be hyped through the roof. It is an awesome God of War Game. The feeling is more like GoW2 than GoW3, because you have a bigger "journey". The scale is epic, the kills brutal and the bosses awesome.

Im a massive god of war fan. Cant wait to play this man.

koene

That's great to hear, as I'm a major fan of GoW 2 because of that journey feel. Although GoW 3 has massive set pieces, it lacks the excellent pacing of 2. And shoot me, but imo GoW 2 still has the most creative boss battles (Sisters of Fate, anyone?).

Pfff, I wish I had the day off... or any day this week. But no, there just had to be a deadline.

For real, this is largely a good God of War game, it's just not as good as the series at its best (even so, it has its moments). Holy shit are the visuals incredible, though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I can't play this with the audio as is. The scenes have no ump. Kratos walking quietly down a hallway and then stabbing a giant worm in the face with no sound effects is just killer. How did this happen?

Robot Pants

I can't play this with the audio as is. The scenes have no ump. Kratos walking quietly down a hallway and then stabbing a giant worm in the face with no sound effects is just killer. How did this happen?
I'm very interested in how it happened too. Surely they had to have noticed it as they were testing.

Even with boxes this works for me (But I recommend Headphones):

Set the Ingame audio to Headphones

Set Music 100
Effects/Voices 80

You won't have surround, but there sure is enough "ump"

No, final rankings still stand:

GoW3 > GoW2=GoWA > GoS > CoO > GoW1

Just for the final boss.... maybe, can't decide. GoW3 was more of an epic standoff, while GoW:A is pure epic spectacle.

I'd actually rank them similarly (though I'd put GoW1 ahead of CoO and GoS). I feel like it's hitting all the high notes of III's massive moments, II's sense of adventure, and I's environmental diversity.

I'm literally in love with these environments.

As for audio, the difference between playing with the Sony Wireless/USB based headphones and my home audio system is night and day in terms of experience. I'm not sure if it's the fact that the headphones mix is better, or whether the audio issue is something OS level that the headphones are bypassing (happened in Half Life 2 PS3) but big picture:

SSM, fix/remix the audio. I swear to God, it's really dampening people's experiences and probably dropping review scores. Too late for that, but I literally have a completely different experience when playing with headphones vs home theatre.

With the audio in place, this is a truly excellent God of War game.

omonimo

Banned
I don't have the game, but I haven't resisted to see some walkthrough. Honestly, my interest is completely gone after this. I don't know, maybe just watch it isn't spectacular like GOW 3, but everything seems quite undertone compared the third. The bosses, the enemies, the art style, it seems a notable step back to me, probably I will pass like killzone 3, sadly. GOW 3 left me just crazy after some clips, this seems become worse more & more when I discover it through the walkthroughs. I don't said it's horrible, to be precise but it's just below my expectations.

Top Bottom