• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

Oh man, the combat really feels unresponsive to me, when compared to earlier installments.

And the fact that the better combo's, such as valor of hercules, are locked off by the rage meter is a design decision I really don't agree with. Not after they have been readily available in every single game before it.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Beat it. Was pretty good. I liked it quite a bit more than 3. The combat was weird though. It was very weird for me because I am coming off if playing a LOT of KGB and MGR. Meatiest feels helpless in comparison to those games protagonist. They will hit you in the middle of whatever you are doing and you can't block or roll cancel hard hitting moves. You can't even parry out of blockstun, which is really silly in this game.

Oh man, the combat really feels unresponsive to me, when compared to earlier installments.

And the fact that the better combo's, such as valor of hercules, are locked off by the rage meter is a design decision I really don't agree with. Not after they have been readily available in every single game before it.

I agree. If they're going to use this system for subsequent games (I really hope not), they should give you more combos from the get go.

Surely I'm not the only one that finds it odd just how little traffic this thread is getting....

I didn’t expect it to be on the second page just after launching. What's going on here? :(

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Surely I'm not the only one that finds it odd just how little traffic this thread is getting....

I didn’t expect it to be on the second page just after launching. What's going on here? :(

God of War is wearing.g out its welcome I believe. I only got it because it was super cheap. GoW3 kind of turned me off of the series.

omonimo

Banned
PfJjF.gif

Well, reviews seems confirm that too. A mediocre game, unable to reach the mininum quote of the 8 average to be good. I lean to believe to the metascore average, most of the times & watching the walkthrough seems so. Mediocre not means bad, just to be precise. I'm starting to think the multiplayer part could have screw sp campaign.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned

No one really cares about god of war after 3? It's a shame, I was a huge fan but something about 3 just lost that love for me. I don't know what it was. Kratos being so angry by this point. The dragging the woman with her boobs out part. I think it was that extra incredible layer of graphics that made things like that just seem so immature. I'm playing ghost of Sparta hd in 3d at the minute and it is really a heat game. Better than 3 I would say. I don't know what it is with Sony exclusives this passed 9 months but no one seems to care.

SSReborn

Well, reviews seems confirm that too. A mediocre game, unable to reach the mininum quote of the 8 average to be good. I lean to believe to the metascore average, most of the times & watching the walkthrough seems so. Mediocre not means bad, just to be precise. I'm starting to think the multiplayer part could have screw sp campaign.

but the game has a 80 on metacritic..

omonimo

Banned
No one really cares about god of war after 3? It's a shame, I was a huge fan but something about 3 just lost that love for me. I don't know what it was. Kratos being so angry by this point. The dragging the woman with her boobs out part. I think it was that extra incredible layer of graphics that made things like that just seem so immature. I'm playing ghost of Sparta hd in 3d at the minute and it is really a heat game. Better than 3 I would say. I don't know what it is with Sony exclusives this passed 9 months but no one seems to care.

I found GOW 3 a great masterpiece, GOW combat system weren't that good in the other 2 prequels. Weapons are magnificient in the 3.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
IGN review is up, since i didn't see the review thread on the first pages i didn't want to necropost there

score

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/14/god-of-war-ascension-review

The Verdict

Unfortunately it’s a criticism that can be aimed at Ascension as a whole – it’s an enjoyable game, but one that doesn’t quite live up to the pedigree of its predecessors. The story, which promised so much by revealing a more emotional side to Kratos, stumbles along and is so flimsy it’s almost incidental. The combat has been refined and is therefore as satisfying as ever, but the lack of any really memorable set-pieces – combined with its tiresome reliance on carbon copy battles against waves of exactly the same enemy – result in a game that is at times spectacular but all too often forgettable. Kratos fanatics will no doubt revel in the challenge it presents, especially the gruelling Trials of Archimedes, but there’s no escaping the fact Ascension is the weakest in the series.

100% agree with this, good job IGN.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Well, struggle to have a 8 to ign is not a good sign...

Remind me, have you actually played it or are you still talking from your "experience" watching it on youtube?

The game is extremely heavy on puzzles. So of course if you watch on youtube it's going to be boring compared to playing it.

I was really worried about the game for the first few hours, but I'm much further now and it's winning me over.

ced

So just for any idiot like me who thinks they can just roll and hit satyrs, you have to block and parry those fuckers.

omonimo

Banned
Remind me, have you actually played it or are you still talking from your "experience" watching it on youtube?

The game is extremely heavy on puzzles. So of course if you watch on youtube it's going to be boring compared to playing it.

I was really worried about the game for the first few hours, but I'm much further now and it's winning me over.

Most of the games, which I played the demo & seen the walkthrough, give me an idea to what expect. Played the demo, seen the walkthrough. An unique weapon, boring battles, weird enemies/bosses. Yes, the puzzle are a lot better of the 3 but I don't like the rest. It seems a step back to me to stay a way (maybe when the price will drop I could give a try) Oh & the character models are ... weird too. They have their hands bigger than their heads (or at least Kratos). More, the colours too much saturated, completely wrong in some levels with hurt my taste. I don't know what is happened, but there are lot of strange/bad artistic choices in this chapter. But I just repeat myself, I have mentioned some page ago. Of course, it's just my opinion.

Just do not connect with this thread, so much so I'm thinking about bowing out. Obviously there's some positive stuff in here, but its pretty overwhelmingly negative.

The game's fantastic.

- tons of new enemy types
- best environments in the series
- massive, epic moments abound (yes your tv needs to be the right size to play them, I can see that being a problem)
- excellent sense of adventure
- much bigger focus on really well done environmental puzzles
- a revamped combat system which as I learn I'm enjoying - where you can't spam parry

In other words, all the reasons I play god of war. I feel like SSM really nailed this.

The only points I can agree on are the less awesome story and characters. Otherwise, I would honestly put this on a par with III and II. I just do not fucking get these reviews and impressions.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
i just got this and jumped straight into the MP, Favour Of The Gods is great. what is with the guys who can disappear and reappear? they seem really strong.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Just do not connect with this thread, so much so I'm thinking about bowing out. Obviously there's some positive stuff in here, but its pretty overwhelmingly negative.

The game's fantastic.

- massive, epic moments abound (yes your tv needs to be the right size to play them, I can see that being a problem)
- a revamped combat system which as I learn I'm enjoying - where you can't spam parry

In other words, all the reasons I play god of war. I feel like SSM really nailed this.

The only points I can agree on are the less awesome story and characters. Otherwise, I would honestly put this on a par with III and II. I just do not fucking get these reviews and impressions.

ib12qaenk5ft5n5gbra.gif

Dave_6

The game's fantastic.

I'll agree with you. It has been frustrating at times (mainly combat related) but I can chalk some of that up to my lack of patience. The art style, enviroments and graphics are absolutely spectacular though. Yes some or most of the boss battles are 'smaller' but they have been fun to play once I figure them out.

SSReborn

Well, struggle to have a 8 to ign is not a good sign...

To be honest if you want my personal take on it its the mix of it not being a top of the line GOW in terms of story telling and franchise fatigue.

What I mean by not being a top of the line God of War falls mostly in the storytelling of the game. There were legit times were I was playing through it and I had to ask myself where Kratos was going because I had no clue. I would give the story itself like a 7 in the way it was told. The game isn't quite as epic as 3 which I think is due to the absence of reoccurring characters Athena, Zeus, etc; because it doesn't have the buildup from the following games in the series, Kratos was way to quiet this time around and it was a story know one really cared to know which they didn't rectify by making us care about it during the game (See Ghost of Sparta worked because they were teasing the story of his bro the entire series so you were generally curious if you were a big fan and they presented it really well).

..and my personal criticism of the platforming which is definitely a regression to what they had.

but that is mainly where my personal criticisms end I think that it has made very great strides in other areas of the game such as combat, environments, creature design, and puzzle solving. It has an adventure feel that is reminiscent of the older games which is something I like. I just overall think that they handled the story telling bad this time and that's where this game fails most.

I actually think if they started the game with the
fight against the furies it would have been a lot stronger because they didn't properly introduce the antagonists until you played through a good portion of the game.

Sorral

I read the rest of your comments and that youtube bit where you watched the game and basically 'ruined' it for yourself. A couple of them read as if GoW3 is the only game in the series.

Also, lots of reviews and journalists have been a joke for years. I don't know why you are taking their word to heart especially when a lot of them have given GoW:A the 'killzone:SF' treatment before it released.

And read the comment that I replied with that picture to. The game is not a disgrace to the series. That's too much hyperbole. It has been said before around here: The most annoying thing about GoW:A for me is the camera and the colors where kratos blends in too much. The combat is more strategic and takes more to get used to. I get killed when I try to storm my way through, but not when I am a lot more careful on what I am going to do next. <--------- This does not make it a bad game.

I can't comment on the story yet as I am not done with my first playthrough.

The game's fantastic.

Yup. I'm loving this game.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
the more I play this the more I feel like this should have been a vita game.

hope that statement doesn't come across as negative.

Derrick01

Banned
the more I play this the more I feel like this should have been a vita game.

hope that statement doesn't come across as negative.

I feel the same but I mean it as a negative. This feels closer to the sub par PSP games than the epic console-defining games since it lacks many of the memorable fights and setpieces the other games have. Just like the PSP games.

Melchiah

I wish people would avoid posting spoilers, eventhough they might be pissed off with the game, and think there's nothing to spoil, there are others who think differently and want to experience it fresh by themselves. So let's not ruin it for everyone out of spite.

I don't really get the hate, eventhough I know Gaf loves to go overboard in its hype and hate. I loved GoW3, and I love this one as well, neither of them is without fault (frustrating platforming sections being the cardinal sin of both), but that doesn't make them bad games in my eyes.

EDIT: Do the double XP points of the special edition start rolling when you begin the MP, or the game itself? Hopefully the former, as I haven't even touched the MP yet.

Salz01

I can't spoiler tag since I'm on ipad, but last night fought the guy from
total recall
, and that was intense. I loved it. Felt like Kratos almost met his match. I want more of that. Game is growing on me. I can see some of the complaints are valid, ie sound, and zooming way out. But so far this is good stuff and why I like the series.

I can't spoiler tag since I'm on ipad, but last night fought the guy from total recall, and that was intense. I loved it. Felt like Kratos almost met his match. I want more of that. Game is growing on me. I can see some of the complaints are valid, ie sound, and zooming way out. But so far this is good stuff and why I like the series.

Square bracket the word spoiler to start, square bracket /spoiler to stop.

Especially cuz that is going to confuse the ffffuck out of people who haven't played.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Enjoying it but there are way too many puzzles man.

Its a solid god of war but I have to agree, its not even a top 3 god of war title. Still not a bad game in its own right. It just has really odd pacing.

Sid

On 'that' section now,it's been damn fun so far,this still could be my favorite GoW but I think I'll just avoid comparisons (or maybe not at least till I finish it) since all of them are great.

Oneself

Don't get me wrong, I started playing yesterday and I must say I was expecting worse. Not only because of this thread, but also because of the demo. IMO, the demo was a bit boring. I was expecting to be blown away as much as I was when I first saw the opening levels of the 3 main games that came before... but nah. All I saw was frame drops, weird loading pauses, some buggy animations and graphics that aren't even on par with 3 years old+ third game.

BUT, so far, it's a good game. It's a bit less buggy than the demo, I haven't encountered any loading pauses so far and the frame rate is a bit better.
But it's a good game, no doubt. Not "OMG I'm blown away"-good like when I first played the 3 main titles, but still better than most action adventure games. It still gives me that God of War fix I wasn't even craving for.

But yeah, I still think GOW3 is a smoother, more polished and "fine tuned" experience. The frame rate fluctuation certainly works against Ascension.
Also, GOW3's overall graphics looked better (art direction was better, but that's more of an opinion); lighting, textures, water, animations, enemy designs, overall color choices etc. Everything looked solid. In Ascension, most things looks & feels "cheaper". Parts of the environments look a bit fake, cardboard-like. Heavy, iron things kinda feel light and plastic made. Lighting is mainly overblown in some parts, daytime environments remind me of those 5 years old games that tried to hide their terrible art direction with bloom.

Anyways, it's not perfect, I have my complaints but it's far from being a bad game.

massive, epic moments abound (yes your tv needs to be the right size to play them, I can see that being a problem)

I disagree. The scale is always going to stay the same, so like anything with watchability, it's going to come down to the right size TV for how far away you are sitting. I'm playing on a 24" monitor, and I feel immersed in the experience sitting about three feet away.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Who ever designed the trial of archamedes needs to be fired on the spot. It just completely killed the game for me. Its not fun, its just tedious and frustrating.

Derrick01

Banned
I think the trials would have gone over better if there was at least 1 checkpoint put into it, and if you died you didn't reload with full health, unless you started that point with full health. It's an interesting and challenging combat arena for these types of games that require you to use everything you have.

It just sucks spending 10-15 minutes getting to the end and knowing that you're probably going to die and have to start all over because you only have 15% health with a whole wave left.

Kureizu

The game's fantastic.

Totally agree with you, this game is great.

Loudninja

Don't get me wrong, I started playing yesterday and I must say I was expecting worse. Not only because of this thread, but also because of the demo. IMO, the demo was a bit boring. I was expecting to be blown away as much as I was when I first saw the opening levels of the 3 main games that came before... but nah. All I saw was frame drops, weird loading pauses, some buggy animations and graphics that aren't even on par with 3 years old+ third game.

BUT, so far, it's a good game. It's a bit less buggy than the demo, I haven't encountered any loading pauses so far and the frame rate is a bit better.
But it's a good game, no doubt. Not "OMG I'm blown away"-good like when I first played the 3 main titles, but still better than most action adventure games. It still gives me that God of War fix I wasn't even craving for.

But yeah, I still think GOW3 is a smoother, more polished and "fine tuned" experience. The frame rate fluctuation certainly works against Ascension.
Also, GOW3's overall graphics looked better (art direction was better, but that's more of an opinion); lighting, textures, water, animations, enemy designs, overall color choices etc. Everything looked solid. In Ascension, most things looks & feels "cheaper". Parts of the environments look a bit fake, cardboard-like. Heavy, iron things kinda feel light and plastic made. Lighting is mainly overblown in some parts, daytime environments remind me of those 5 years old games that tried to hide their terrible art direction with bloom.

Anyways, it's not perfect, I have my complaints but it's far from being a bad game.
Sorry but really?

Top Bottom