• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

BHK3

Banned
Just do not connect with this thread, so much so I'm thinking about bowing out. Obviously there's some positive stuff in here, but its pretty overwhelmingly negative.

The game's fantastic.

- tons of new enemy types
- best environments in the series
- massive, epic moments abound (yes your tv needs to be the right size to play them, I can see that being a problem)
- excellent sense of adventure
- much bigger focus on really well done environmental puzzles
- a revamped combat system which as I learn I'm enjoying - where you can't spam parry

In other words, all the reasons I play god of war. I feel like SSM really nailed this.

The only points I can agree on are the less awesome story and characters. Otherwise, I would honestly put this on a par with III and II. I just do not fucking get these reviews and impressions.

We've played two different games.

It's just a shame they have to patch the trials, it's hard for all the wrong reasons.

Surely I'm not the only one that finds it odd just how little traffic this thread is getting....

I didn’t expect it to be on the second page just after launching. What's going on here? :(

It was getting a ton earlier, we're now at the point where we discuss on weather or not our opinions means anything and we bring other games in as examples. Just going through the motions.

bumpkin

Finally cracked this puppy open last night and played single player for a bit. I went through the section from the demo and then got to and beat what I assume is/was the first real "boss" of the game. I wasn't impressed by the lack of clarity about what I had to do at first; died two or three times before I realized the wave of enemies weren't part of the fight. And even then, after I started to deal actual damage, it still didn't feel like I was actually fighting something.

I think the first thing that jumped out at me is the game seems harder than prior entries. When I got to an area where I had to deal with two of the elephant guys, I actually almost died. Now mind you, I wasn't blocking a lot -- mostly dodging -- but I lost sight of Kratos a few times and ended up on the business-end of a bunch of damage.

While I think that the kill moves being more interactive than they used to be is a nice touch, it was a bit jarring at first. I had beaten down one of the 'phants to the point of getting the red aura over them, and then I was completely thrown off when I initiated the kill and found myself standing there for a second. It didn't occur to me that I had to actually *do* something. After all, the smaller enemies earlier on were one press of R1 and Kratos tore 'em apart (or tore their head off).

And you know, I never thought I'd say this, but I actually cringed watching the elephant guy kill. It was funny to me in the trailers -- I think I said "Oh, lobotomized!" -- but seeing and doing it first-hand actually sorta walked the line. I blame the visual fidelity.

"Next gen" should be interesting as far as ratings go with the graphics becoming ever-more realistic.

ebil

I think the trials would have gone over better if there was at least 1 checkpoint put into it, and if you died you didn't reload with full health, unless you started that point with full health. It's an interesting and challenging combat arena for these types of games that require you to use everything you have.

It just sucks spending 10-15 minutes getting to the end and knowing that you're probably going to die and have to start all over because you only have 15% health with a whole wave left.
Agreed. I wonder why they went with no checkpoints at all during this section? Maybe it didn't mesh all that well with the new auto-save? Even bosses had mid-battle checkpoints IIRC.

BHK3

Banned
I'm starting to think the multiplayer part could have screw sp campaign.

It sucks if that is a reason but the problems are much more deep rooted, I don't understand how adding multiplayer could have effected the story/characters, why would it effect the writer(s)? The script for this game has to be like 3 pages long..

Aside from the fire magic you start with, does R2 activate the magic attack for the other elementals after you level them up or something? I've only been upgraded my blades and find it odd the only magic attack I have is the fire one you start with, despite the fact I have all four elementals.

ebil

Aside from the fire magic you start with, does R2 activate the magic attack for the other elementals after you level them up or something? I've only been upgraded my blades and find it odd the only magic attack I have is the fire one you start with, despite the fact I have all four elementals.
Yes, but Magic is locked until max elemental level.

The reviews for this game are puzzling. Maybe some people are suffering from franchise fatigue. Or maybe people have rose tinted glasses looking back on past God of War titles. Either way, this is a God of War game through and through. The graphics look gorgeous, the combat is improved, there are tons of different enemies, memorable boss battles and puzzles, etc. My only complaint is the writing (although God of War has never had a strong story and it's basically been a tale of sordid revenge) and the fact that a tamer Kratos is a more mute Kratos.

I'd also like to add, since it was brought up, that including a locked demo on a disc is one of the most stupid things I've seen this generation. Pick up God of War Ascension and get a The Last of Us cock tease until two months later. Really?

This is easily the worst God of War game I have played. Even the PSP games were much more enjoyable to play. I'm on chapter 28 now, I think. I just did the Eyes of Apollo puzzle. I'm at about 5 1/2 hours in.

Loudninja

The reviews for this game are puzzling. Maybe some people are suffering from franchise fatigue. Or maybe people have rose tinted glasses looking back on past God of War titles. Either way, this is a God of War game through and through. The graphics look gorgeous, the combat is improved, there are tons of different enemies, memorable boss battles and puzzles, etc. My only complaint is the writing (although God of War has never had a strong story and it's basically been a tale of sordid revenge) and the fact that a tamer Kratos is a more mute Kratos.
Yep I agree.

BHK3

Banned
I'd also like to add, since it was brought up, that including a locked demo on a disc is one of the most stupid things I've seen this generation. Pick up God of War Ascension and get a The Last of Us cock tease until two months later. Really?

Didn't dragons dogma do the same thing with it's RE6 demo?

Had some unforeseen expenses and had to cancel my pre-order due to lack of funds. Damn it.
They seem to be patching the hell out of this game though so maybe it's better to wait 'till the dust settles.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

It's a relatively consumer-friendly way to disincentivize selling the game back after a week. The multiplayer maps are going to be free, too. Other than the corporate mandated online pass for the game, I'd say GOWA stacks up pretty well as far as terrible industry trends go.

Melchiah

I totally agree, and can't help thinking that the tamer Kratos is a result of people complaining about his nature in GoW3. If so, it once again proves that the whining only leads to the product being watered down; eg. RFoM->R2, KZ2->KZ3, SH2->SH3... people should be careful what they wish for.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Maybe I'm crazy but when I was playing last night, I felt like my rage meter was filling a lot faster. Did either of the patches tweak it in some way? Or did I just suddenly adapt to the new combat system?

when watching interviews in this game's early stages I remember hearing about the tethering mechanic a lot. where you can grab onto an enemy and kind of drag them around on your chain. Does this play a big role in the gameplay? It seems like a cool addition. I've been on blackout - haven't touched the demo, curious if this mechanic plays a big role/is fun?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I think that happens when you level up your blades all the way.

I didn't upgrade my blades, and my fire element (which I treat as the default) has been maxed forever. Do stronger enemies perhaps fill the meter faster?

when watching interviews in this game's early stages I remember hearing about the tethering mechanic a lot. where you can grab onto an enemy and kind of drag them around on your chain. Does this play a big role in the gameplay? It seems like a cool addition. I've been on blackout - haven't touched the demo, curious if this mechanic plays a big role/is fun?

I don't find it that interesting as being tethered limits your actions, but slamming a guy into other guys is effective crowd control. There's also a battle sequence where you have to throw guys into a fire, so the tether toss makes that easy.

Jigolo

Good game overall. I really hope the next game from SSM doesn't have online multiplayer. I haven't touched it yet but they should put all their focus on the SP and make that the best it can possibly be. They should just keep the horde mode from this game and use that as the only multiplayer component. (make it offline though)

Overall - 7.5/10 Very good game.

For reference I would give GOW3 - 9/10

Edit: Also lightning element fucking rocks

Moff

honestly, I fee like I am playing a completely different game than the other people here.
I was kind of let down by god of war 3, gameplay and graphics wise. but hell ascension delievers, it looks real good has great new mechanics, I love the grappling chain and how they handle secondary weapons, great setpieces and is real tough.
I dont understand how people can compare this to the psp titles, I have been playing ghost of sparta the last few weeks and its incredibly inferior to ascension in every possible way, I had to force myself so play that, but ascnesion really rocks.

Quite positive so far.

How far are you? This beats GoW III visually in every way. Much of that game is actually really bland, artistically. Hera's garden, the box labyrinth... Ascension's environments are far more memorable.

Anyway, I also played the PSP games for the first time recently. GoS had a cute story and all, but come on guys. This game is on a different level. Let's not even talk about CoO.

firen

Just
beat the first fury
so I'm still early in the game. I really wish I didn't read any impressions about this game beforehand because I unconsciously start thinking about the negatives. I'm playing the game almost as if I'm forcing the game to disappoint me. That being said, so far I thought the music isn't as bad as most have complained about but at the same time doesn't seem to have the power that the previous games have had. Additionally, I really really enjoy the R1 grappling system. It makes it much easier for me to escape out of sticky situations and move towards an enemy. So far the only boss fight I experienced was
the hecatoncheris (sp?)
. Though it was quite cinematic and really a treat to look at, I completely understand people's issues with the distance of the camera. Particularly at that fight. I was losing Kratos at every instance and found it hard to position myself to get out of the way of enemy attacks. All that being said, I am still enjoying this game and MP is actually quite fun.

SSReborn

I didn't upgrade my blades, and my fire element (which I treat as the default) has been maxed forever. Do stronger enemies perhaps fill the meter faster?
Oh well I'm not completely sure then I did notice it filling faster towards then end up the game as well so I figured it was that.

I haven't tried the MP yet, so is it only competitive, or is there a co-op mode, like in ME3 or Gears of War?

There is a co-op mode called trial of the gods where you have to fight waves of enemies.

Sorc3r3r

Bwahah

I looooooooove this game, pure fun.
Visceral, brutal, and raaaage so much rage, so much rage, Kratos is trying to come out of the monitor XD.

Awesome.

Love you Santa Monica.
This is so God of War.

Sorry but really?
Can't speak for him but that bolded part rings true for what little I've played so far. In 3, even the most unimportant corner of an insignifant path oozed with artistic integrity. Here, I was laughing at the slabs of wood they'd put up on the walls to hide how plain and boring it'd look otherwise. Specifically speaking about the beginning of the village area after the opening section.

I haven't been following this thread too much as I don't want to accidentally spoil anything but...is the entire sequence with the
mechanical snakes
on the way to the temple of Delphi the lowest point in the game by any chance? Insane amounts of Uncharted-lite platforming =>slide sequence and then wave after wave of the same goatmen. That whole section was so incredibly tedious and boring.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I haven't been following this thread too much as I don't want to accidentally spoil anything but...is the entire sequence with the
mechanical snakes
on the way to the temple of Delphi the lowest point in the game by any chance? Insane amounts of Uncharted-lite platforming =>slide sequence and then wave after wave of the same goatmen. The whole section was incredibly tedious and boring.

For me it might have been. At least, it's the part of the game I think of when I think about how disappointing the first half of the game is.

Melchiah

mechanical snakes
on the way to the temple of Delphi the lowest point in the game by any chance? Insane amounts of Uncharted-lite platforming =>slide sequence and then wave after wave of the same goatmen. That whole section was so incredibly tedious and boring.

I thought it was great, but the ending in the
ice cave
was somewhat tedious. The first
snake ride
was a total "whoa!" moment for me though.

I was a little disappointed, that
falling to the place where the Hades blades are acquired in the Delphi's temple
effectively locked me out of a couple of red and white chests, as I couldn't get back to the place anymore.

The more time you spend with the game after the first playthrough the better it gets. I was thrown off by the new combat system and much more aggressive enemies at first but now that I know exactly what I'm doing, I can approach any battle however I want and it's turned into a lot of fun. This is an excellent GOW game. The story isn't as good but the presentation and gameplay has turned out to be superb. Still hate the non-'JUST L1" parry but I've learned to use the L1+X parry to my advantage (I just hate that it isn't very intuitive). Other than that you just have to be an offensive juggernaut in the game and use ALL your tools to survive battles. Uroborus and Orkos are 2 of my favorite magics an any GOW game.

Goldrusher

So I wish people would use spoiler tags.
Be sure to avoid your friends list.
If people are playing the game, it not only says "God of War: Ascension", but also the name of the chapter they're in, spoiling a lot of locations and events.

Such a lousy decision by SCE Santa Monica.

RiverBed

Banned
I got stuck immediately after you build/collaps the bridge with the rewind fast-forward feature Immediately after the Oracle. The camera won't follow me once I am at the top of the bridge.
I have no other saves and I don't want to re-start the game. Any suggestions?

I got stuck immediately after you build/collaps the bridge with the rewind fast-forward feature Immediately after the Oracle. The camera won't follow me once I am at the top of the bridge.
I have no other saves and I don't want to re-start the game. Any suggestions?

Restart from last checkpoint methinks?

Top Bottom