• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

Of course, and it has always sucked, but the opening fodder at least had their animations interrupted after certain attacks.

It seems random to me. I started a new game on easy and farmed the first humanoids for the 2 minute rage trophy and they reacted 90% of the time. Not much reaction on Hard though.

I never play as if my attacks are going to stun them. I usually try to group the enemies and square-square-triangle them from a distance. The final hit almost always pushes them back. Repeating that generally keeps me safe.

Derrick01

Banned
I agree, way to many people try to label good games as THIS GAME SUX when it doesnt suck, it just isnt for you.

In that case when does a game ever suck? I'm sure Rogue Warrior was made for someone out there, so it doesn't suck. It's just not for 99% of people.

I was feeling pretty similar to you at that point, but there have been a few encounters that have soured me a bit. Mainly the goddamn cerberus who takes one hell of a beating and constantly warps around, while you slowly build up the meter...getting hit once you make it and dropping it all the way down is incredibly disheartening and somewhat restricts you into playing it safe and just doing square square triangle a lot. A lot of the enemies you've encountered at that point are incredibly susceptible to grabs, but later/more armored ones are not and that is when you will start to feel the combo locked meter more. I am on hard though, so maybe you won't hit stuff like this.

There is an item near the start of the game that will give infinite rage after you beat the game and I have to say it'll be fun as hell using that.

Not even the amount, but the quality to me. These are easily the best puzzles in the series, and have surprisingly almost stumped me at times.

Point taken, but for the cerebrus example you just gave I'm quick to roll out of harm's way when I sense an attack coming and the battle didn't feel frustrating. Felt more like a dance to me. Sure it won't be as fluid as other encounters, but you can quickly build up your meter.

I'm surprised that there's praise for the game's puzzles. I guess I haven't gotten far enough to really experience them yet.

I love puzzle design, so I'm happy that they're improved over GoW3 which hardly had any.

It seems random to me. I started a new game on easy and farmed the first humanoids for the 2 minute rage trophy and they reacted 90% of the time. Not much reaction on Hard though.

I never play as if my attacks are going to stun them. I usually try to group the enemies and square-square-triangle them from a distance. The final hit almost always pushes them back.
It could be just Hard mode then. Been a while since I've done that. I still feel it's bad design. I don't feel like I have defensive options. I discovered L1+X on accident but because of the lack of impact my attacks have, it was difficult to set up a good use for it. Meaning I couldn't create space. I would just blindly try it while in the clusterfuck of enemies swarmed around me with no visual of Kratos.

george_us

Not sure why people are having a problem with the Cerberus. Horseshit damage sponge enemies have been a staple of the GoW series since the first game.:lol

I actually found them a lot less annoying compared to some of the shit you had to face in 3, like the fucking Minotaurs, the Satyrs, some of the Cyclops variances.

njean777

In that case when does a game ever suck? I'm sure Rogue Warrior was made for someone out there, so it doesn't suck. It's just not for 99% of people.

When a game is mechanically sound and plays well then it doesn't suck. DMC doesnt suck, Tomb Raider doesnt suck. This is a difference between a bad game and one that isnt for you. A lot of people are complaining of no tombs in Tomb Raider, yet ignore that it plays great. So no the game doesnt suck, you just do not like the fact that they went in a different direction. (not saying you btw, I have no clue what your complaints about the game are).

Now if you were to say Blackwater sucks then I would agree. The games mechanics were bad. That game actually does suck.

Have the framerate chugs been mentioned in this topic? I notice it when the camera pans or during select moments. Not a big deal, though. I am loving this game. I like how the pace slows down after the insanely over the top intro, and the fights have been challenging. Already died a couple times.

george_us

One thing that bothers me about the beginning is Kratos somehow not being instantly suspicious that there's a
random brothel in a goddamn supernatural prison made from the flesh of a giant monster.

Derrick01

Banned
When a game is mechanically sound and plays well then it doesn't suck. DMC doesnt suck, Tomb Raider doesnt suck. This is a difference between a bad game and one that isnt for you. A lot of people are complaining of no tombs in Tomb Raider, yet ignore that it plays great. So no the game doesnt suck, you just do not like the fact that they went in a different direction. (not saying you btw, I have no clue what your complaints about the game are).

Now if you were to say Blackwater sucks then I would agree. The games mechanics were bad. That game actually does suck.

But I can and did many times in that game's OT make the argument that TR is not mechanically sound and is as shallow as games can be. So to me it does suck. It's up to each person to decide if something is bad or not.

Grimhammer

Neo Member
I haven't touch sp yet. So I can't comment on that. But damn ...the mp is great! I like mp online gaming. But if it ain't an fps it's a fighter...and that's sad. GoW:A mp feels fresh and deep with plenty of options to explore in chracter gear choices.

I'm in the camp where a game is fun....then that's the most important aspect. Not too little tombs, or difficulty in a ninja gaiden game being to easy or a reboot where the lead is radically changed....only to discover he really is the same guy after all with a new look.

Screw it. Fun is fun!

The one-two fury fight after the foot is brilliant , really loving the bosses in this game. Honestly having a great time so far, it doesn't have the wow factor that 3 did for me at the time of its release but this is pretty great all the same. Nice to see a big franchise continue to focus on quality puzzles as well.

Honestly digging the new combat system as well, somewhat confused by the attack differences between attributes but they certain vary in speed and animation which is nice. I've gotten used to grappling weak enemies around when needed. Don't think it feels broken at all, although there are times when you can get gang rushed by a ton of guys at once. Only thing I don't care for so far is restricting certain moves, as far as I can tell only some of the heavy attacks, to when you have a full rage meter. Certainly makes you play more carefully but can be a little frustrating in particularly tough fights.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Point taken, but for the cerebrus example you just gave I'm quick to roll out of harm's way when I sense an attack coming and the battle didn't feel frustrating. Felt more like a dance to me. Sure it won't be as fluid as other encounters, but you can quickly build up your meter.

I'm surprised that there's praise for the game's puzzles. I guess I haven't gotten far enough to really experience them yet.

I love puzzle design, so I'm happy that they're improved over GoW3 which hardly had any.

It actually isn't that specific one, it's the second one that gets fought(I'm assuming you still only fought one, anyway). Arena was much smaller and it kept spawning in enemies with spears that would pelt me if I focused on him...I was actually jumping around, using the grapple I-frames to avoid the cerberus attacks, though sometimes I would just get hit right after the grapple or brutal kill would end leading me to usually get hit multiple times by other enemies completely draining the rage meter and being unavoidable. Thankfully there haven't been moments like that since.

I'd say majority factor gives a good indication. Majority factors says Rogue Warrior SUCKED. Don't even try that card buddy. lol and that's just it there is indeed alot of games that are just alright or descent but do not suck.... yet again you picked an extremely bad game to try to justify your point.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'd say majority factor gives a good indication. Majority factors says Rogue Warrior SUCKED. Don't even try that card buddy. lol and that's just it there is indeed alot of games that are just alright or descent but do not suck.... yet again you picked an extremely bad game to try to justify your point.

His point still had valid rooting. There are many ways a game can be mechanically bad for someone and actually broken down. I have done this many times with Uncharted 3, which I do feel is a legitimately bad game. Enemy waves, lack of feedback, AI that felt designed literally just to annoy you as much as possible, many potential instant kill situations that the player could be unfairly thrusted into, poor pacing regarding puzzle/combat/traversal, etc. But when I levy these complaints, even in massive ass posts breaking it all down, I get a lot of softball answers saying I am nitpicking, or I'm biased, or some other thing like that. Looking at the majority opinion doesn't agree with me, but I feel majority as a whole don't really look at things critically. Many games can be digested and enjoyed casually, but some people are more critical by nature and don't let as much slide. Also, with UC3 specifically, 'majority' in the critical sense COMPLETELY missed the entire busted aiming on launch, and many people also acted like it was all some falsehood people imagined with frustrated me beyond belief. A lot of people just don't like reading harsh critiques regarding experiences they enjoy, but if you personally enjoy a game some negative words don't really change much.

I was actually planning on making a topic relating to this subject pretty soon; big name games always seem like they have this aura of being incapable of being actually bad. GTAIV is another one that gets ripped a lot and many people try to just shrug it off as 'gaf hates everything' instead of directly addressing and having interesting game design arguments. Of course, there isn't anything that exists in any medium that will ever have a 100% success rate with users. Classic movies, books, etc. all have this but I personally feel there is something more tangible to be broken down with regarding interactive products.

And just to add I haven't experienced too many sound issues, seems to be music in every combat scenario and the only time I've felt a lack of a music felt odd was during one of the snake sliding sections. Have had some issues with sound cutting out for a split second or a attack not registering but it's clear it's a bug rather than some intended. Most of the time combat has the appropriate sounds whenever you slash or throw people. Am using Sony Pulse Elite headphones with the headphone setting toggled.

Don't understand the people who say the game has shit hit animations throw, the way blood flys and enemies get knocked back when you hit them is great. Two light attacks won't stop them in their tracks, ie they can still cancel your attack by hitting you, but they still react.

His point still had valid rooting. There are many ways a game can be mechanically bad for someone and actually broken down.

It also depends on what a person is looking for. If your always looking for a game that is going to be the perfect game, your always going to find things to be disappointed by. I can gladly admit faults it games, but to say a game sucks because of some faults, I don't usually see the reason behind that. Unless the faults are extremely bad, jarring, and fundamentally hurt the game. Though everyone has a difference between what's good and whats bad and will judge accordingly, but people have track records, much like I tend to find a lot of fun and excellent things in games, Derrick for example finds a lot to dislike on most games. To each their own of course.

I feel as though I dominate whenever I use the Hades weapon. It has great pushback for enemies when fully charged up, and the attacks make great use of the theme.

Pus, it has that awesome purple glow, which I loved in GOW3.

rdrr gnr

Has anyone else experienced the bug at the bridge you rebuild? Just after
the Oracle dies
. The camera is locked on the bridge and I am unable to progress. I might just be an idiot, however.

Minion101

Banned
"Bros before foes" just popped. :( I even tried to remove the game data to see if I could get the old label when I saw it coming. Nope.

Bladenic

Jesus I can't believe the Tomb Raider thread has somehow jumped over to this thread. Jeez.

Anyway, just finished the demo. It was cool, but it felt really, I dunno, tame? Regardless, I'll probably get the game soon.

BadAss2961

Well guys im up to chapter 11 and I do not get the hate with this game. IT IS BRILLIANT!

paced perfectly, amazing combat and the level design and art is the best it has ever been. Audio issues are overblown, only complain is the music is mixed too low.

Best playing god of war in my opinion. Feels like an adventure like god of war 2.
Awesome. Dat adventure feel of God of War 2 was really something else.

Tookay

His point still had valid rooting. There are many ways a game can be mechanically bad for someone and actually broken down. I have done this many times with Uncharted 3, which I do feel is a legitimately bad game. Enemy waves, lack of feedback, AI that felt designed literally just to annoy you as much as possible, many potential instant kill situations that the player could be unfairly thrusted into, poor pacing regarding puzzle/combat/traversal, etc. But when I levy these complaints, even in massive ass posts breaking it all down, I get a lot of softball answers saying I am nitpicking, or I'm biased, or some other thing like that. Looking at the majority opinion doesn't agree with me, but I feel majority as a whole don't really look at things critically. Many games can be digested and enjoyed casually, but some people are more critical by nature and don't let as much slide. Also, with UC3 specifically, 'majority' in the critical sense COMPLETELY missed the entire busted aiming on launch, and many people also acted like it was all some falsehood people imagined with frustrated me beyond belief. A lot of people just don't like reading harsh critiques regarding experiences they enjoy, but if you personally enjoy a game some negative words don't really change much.

I was actually planning on making a topic relating to this subject pretty soon; big name games always seem like they have this aura of being incapable of being actually bad. GTAIV is another one that gets ripped a lot and many people try to just shrug it off as 'gaf hates everything' instead of directly addressing and having interesting game design arguments. Of course, there isn't anything that exists in any medium that will ever have a 100% success rate with users. Classic movies, books, etc. all have this but I personally feel there is something more tangible to be broken down with regarding interactive products.

Do it. It's a discussion worth having. We have a gaming review and analytic subculture that does nothing to break down whether mechanics work or not. GAF sometimes has good design decision discussion, but even then we rarely get at how a game's mechanics "come together," particularly for the sacred cows.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Am I missing something here?

I have upgraded the blades of chaos to max and unlocked a bunch of moves but it wont perform any of the combos...

I feel as though I dominate whenever I use the Hades weapon. It has great pushback for enemies when fully charged up, and the attacks make great use of the theme.

Pus, it has that awesome purple glow, which I loved in GOW3.

The constant screaming and wailing with each attack is pretty cool as well.

Pachimari

I'm not really feeling this game and it surely feels like I'm forcing my way trough but last night it were starting to catch me as I turned up the subwoofer and sound - BOOM smashing sound effects, it's so fulfilling when I hit those enemies.

One thing that bothers me about the beginning is Kratos somehow not being instantly suspicious that there's a
random brothel in a goddamn supernatural prison made from the flesh of a giant monster.

The
brothel wasn't real it was a illusion by the fury sisters. Also since he is still under Ares bond he doesn't have complete control of his thoughts.
Plus....dem boobies!

Am I missing something here?

I have upgraded the blades of chaos to max and unlocked a bunch of moves but it wont perform any of the combos...
Try inspect the weapons with triangle on the upgrade screen. It lists all the combos for the weapon and it will say here if it's a rage combo like suggested above.

Seik

Banned
So I came back from work, got a package (this game) and played a little two hours.

Santa Monica, good work once again.

I didn't tried the TLoU demo yet, but it's coming.

EDIT: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

oEgEMli.jpg

I've been tricked! Well, at least it's coming soon. :p

Just got to the trial nearly every review has mentioned and I'm playing on hard. *Gulp*

Good luck.

Spam magic on the 2nd round
Spam Life Cycle and CloneTOS whenever you can
Square Square Triangle with the Soul Blades to smack 'em around
Parry those annoying Gorgons and bear hug those Siren freaks to stun everyone

Why are there no checkpoints or enemies who drop health orbs ;-;

Is there a trick to grabbing the sirens? I'm not getting any grab prompt for them and it doesn't seem they can be grappled.

Edit: Holy shit/but I'm getting no mid-health white grab prompts what so ever. Is this a bug or do they not appear during this segment?

Edit 2: It seems for the siren/medusas you have to counter the second tail swipe? Doing the first one seems to just do a light attack counter. Not sure about the lighting ladies though.

Just finished the
giant snake
section. Was probably my favourite non-boss section in the entire series, next to the steeds in GoW2 and Pandora's Temple. The level and enemy design in this game is the best (or at least most creative) in the series. Visuals are incredible. Easily the best looking game on consoles. I have no idea how any GoW fan could be disappointed in this.

The story is kind of just "there" though. Not much going on. But narrative hasn't been a good reason to play these games since the first one. The sound is really off. Some parts have no music whatsoever when they should, and it's just weird. It's becoming less noticeable the more I play, though.

So far not disappointed. Why do I ever listen to GAF?

Sorral

Now I have to delay my playthrough :\

I have no issues with sound on my game except 1 instance where Kratos kicked a door and the sound was delayed by like 1 second. I have not gotten any other issues at all so I think I got lucky with my copy. Try the intro segment and see how it is? Someone also said that picking headphones for audio will fix the bugs(you don't need to have headphones on. Just the audio settings set on headphones.)

I finally got to sit down and play this after reading so much hyperbole in here that started to worry me. Playing on hard, The combat is making me a lot more strategic, grapple a lot more, evade/roll and parry for a much better payoff than block all of which ends up feeling very satisfying. The camera was getting annoying because of how far it zoomed out though. Also, whoever said that the intro was terrible must have really wanted another Kratos on a Titan and fighting Poseidon or something.

Beat the trials and the game itself.
So, final thoughts, game is a disgrace to the franchise and it shows that while santa monica was helping sony make shitty indie games like Journey, that they had no time, or forgot, or something, on how to make a videogame of their own. My full thoughts are a few pages back but this entire game was a chore to get through with no pay off. I came in just expectating a good, god of war game, I wasn't expecting titans fighting titans and gods, just a straight good game, I didn't get that.

PfJjF.gif

Looks like they are patching the
elevator
section

https://twitter.com/ToddPapy/status/312028592408256512

How far into the game is that? I want to get to it before they patch it. May not be able to finish the game today.

Top Bottom