• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

baphomet

I'm stuck:
I'm an hour in. I was just introduced to the L3+R3 fire attack. They locked me an area with goat-enemies. I keep killing them every which way, but they keep respawning. What gives?

I refilled the rage/fire meter a few times. The goats keep respawning.
I am in this specific sextion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gOb8-5A0f2c#t=199s

Same thing happened to me. I forget exactly what it is, but there's 2 things the right of the screen tell you to do. After you do the first it changes to something else. You have to do that before they'll stop spawning.

TentPole

Same thing happened to me. I forget exactly what it is, but there's 2 things the right of the screen tell you to do. After you do the first it changes to something else. You have to do that before they'll stop spawning.

R2 for magic attack?

How does electrifying enemies yield blue orbs? All I get are red orbs

I am 2/3 of the way through the game and am still having a hard time getting the orbs I want. I think it only applies to enemies that you kill with magic or an L1 modifier attack.

So, final thoughts, game is a disgrace to the franchise and it shows that while santa monica was helping sony make shitty indie games like Journey, that they had no time, or forgot, or something, on how to make a videogame of their own. My full thoughts are a few pages back but this entire game was a chore to get through with no pay off. I came in just expectating a good, god of war game, I wasn't expecting titans fighting titans and gods, just a straight good game, I didn't get that.

iRCMcmdSpuY0u.gif

baphomet

R2 for magic attack?

I'm thinking that's what it was, but I'm quite a bit past that and my memory isn't the greatest. I did it once and they spawned endlessly and killed me. Second time they only spawned twice before I noticed it was telling me to do something else. After that it stopped before they even spawned again.

Derrick01

Banned
Wow whoever said everything in the multiplayer mode is muffled wasn't lying. I'm doing the tutorial and it sounds like I turned my TV down almost all the way.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Skimming through this thread.. wow... can't believe people are having a difficult time in the Trials section. How the hell did some of you guys get through the Hall full of enemies during the final sections of GoW2?! Now that was some legit bullshit. Especially on Titan mode... *shudders*

So, final thoughts, game is a disgrace to the franchise and it shows that while santa monica was helping sony make shitty indie games like Journey
tonystarejeml.gif

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow whoever said everything in the multiplayer mode is muffled wasn't lying. I'm doing the tutorial and it sounds like I turned my TV down almost all the way.

Oh good, so it isn't just me.

Prepare yourself, because after the tutorial you get a trophy and the ding is EXTREMELY fucking loud.

The vitriol this game is receiving is ridiculous. I hope SSM can filter out the legitimate concerns from the noise. Ascension is a really solid game, and probably in the top two for the series.

Beat the trials and the game itself.

I honestly wasn't expecting the story to be good since it's a prequel, but never did I think they would practically cut it out of the game. You are basically just adventuring through the game until a fury gets in your way...

Oh well, final boss looked cool but was still lame in the end. Ending sucked ass because of the non-existent story.

About the costumes:
I was very happy to read that the game had a lot of costumes, I was hoping Santa Monica would finally get it through their heads that costumes are really cool and add replayability. What do they do? They give you shitty ass fucking armour sets that do nothing. I can just play the fucking multiplayer for that, don't the costumes for 3 still cost money in the store? Fucking embarrassing.

So, final thoughts, game is a disgrace to the franchise and it shows that while santa monica was helping sony make shitty indie games like Journey, that they had no time, or forgot, or something, on how to make a videogame of their own. My full thoughts are a few pages back but this entire game was a chore to get through with no pay off. I came in just expectating a good, god of war game, I wasn't expecting titans fighting titans and gods, just a straight good game, I didn't get that.

you guys are trying so hard....

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
The vitriol this game is receiving is ridiculous. I hope SSM can filter out the legitimate concerns from the noise. Ascension is a really solid game, and probably in the top two for the series.

Most of the vitriol GAF displays on most games are unwarranted. I just ignore them.

These days, I sometime even doubt whether certain gaffers even enjoy playing games.

So far I'm really enjoying this. The enemy design and graphics are great. The combat feel fluent and the enemy weapons are great also. I do feel like I'm missing stuff. There have been a couple times when I deviated from the path and seemed to get to the end but wasn't able to get back on the original path.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Is the consensus that the visuals are a significant upgrade from GOW3? If so that itself is impressive.

Derrick01

Banned
So true just see the Tomb Raider and DmC threads (Both good games).

Nope.gif

And there were a lot of comments, not just from me, that explained in incredible detail why it was bad (can't comment on the DmC thread since I didn't follow it). It was not "unwarranted hate", and I really don't like when valid criticism like that is just discarded immediately because someone just saw "this game is bad" and blacked out in a fanboy rage before reading the rest.

If someone thinks this game is terrible and can back it up I won't hold it against them even though I would disagree with the notion that it's terrible.

firen

This might have been answered already but how can I tell if I am getting double XP? I don't see any indication anywhere.

prophecy0

Thanks to whoever gave the tip about R1 + triangle tip for dealing with goats. The invincibility frames during that throw are invaluable, as is the knock back effect.

I'm a bit further in the game now and I'm enjoying it a lot more. I just got past the (very minor spoiler)
oracle
and I honestly had a lot of fun going through the temple. The boss fights against the
manticore
and
Castor
were both a lot of fun and looked great. The combat is getting more fun as i level up the blades and get used to the new sytem. I'm looking forward to playing some more tomorrow, but I really dread the trials based on the comments in this thread.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Good thing you're asking now before hitting the trials. I'll spoiler a trick I found just in case

Use your fire Rage element against them to get them stunned. When you grapple them while they're stunned you make them shriek and it stuns every enemy nearby. You'll get a situation in the first wave where there's usually 2 out there at once with other enemies. So once you stun one you can keep using the sirens to stun everyone else and just keep grappling sirens to constantly stun everyone. You'll kill them eventually by doing this, even if it takes a while. But you won't get hit from them at all that way.

Thanks. I will keep that in mind.

Nope.gif

And there were a lot of comments, not just from me, that explained in incredible detail why it was bad (can't comment on the DmC thread since I didn't follow it). It was not "unwarranted hate", and I really don't like when valid criticism like that is just discarded immediately because someone just saw "this game is bad" and blacked out in a fanboy rage before reading the rest.

If someone thinks this game is terrible and can back it up I won't hold it against them even though I would disagree with the notion that it's terrible.

Oh please. There's a difference between a bad game and a game that just isn't for you. And in your case it seems like no game is for you.

Derrick01

Banned
Oh please. There's a difference between a bad game and a game that just isn't for you. And in your case it seems like no game is for you.

Me about 30 minutes ago said:

This is what you just did

someone just saw "this game is bad" and blacked out in a fanboy rage before reading the rest

;)

Mik_Pad

Banned
Nope.gif

I thought most people liked Tomb Raider, for me it isn't your classic Tomb Raider and not as good as Uncharted 2 but it still is a great game. I know people here don't like anecdotal "evidence" but almost everyone that I asked on my friend list liked it.

I thought most people liked Tomb Raider, for me it isn't your classic Tomb Raider and not as good as Uncharted 2 but it still is a great game. I know people here don't like anecdotal "evidence" but almost everyone that I asked on my friend list liked it.

Did your friends ever play Uncharted or Arkham Asylum/City? Tomb Raider is a weird child of those two games.

Not understanding the complaints about the combat (so far).

The game makes you make use of the R1 grapple and combo attacks for certain scenarios, which makes the combat feel more fluid.

You feel like an ultimate badass in this game. The animations are simply spectacular. The more active QTEs feel much better, too.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Well guys im up to chapter 11 and I do not get the hate with this game. IT IS BRILLIANT!

paced perfectly, amazing combat and the level design and art is the best it has ever been. Audio issues are overblown, only complain is the music is mixed too low.

Best playing god of war in my opinion. Feels like an adventure like god of war 2.

The game makes you make use of the R1 grapple and combo attacks for certain scenarios, which makes the combat feel more fluid.

You feel like an ultimate badass in this game. The animations are simply spectacular. The more active QTEs feel much better, too.

No you don't, all your combos feel weak as enemies don't flinch and if your rage meter isn't full you can't deal significant damage. Grapples are typical affair like all the other GOW games.

Papercuts

What point are you at? Also, hard or normal?

I do think when the rage meter is maxed kratos feels incredibly good and super powerful, but it could use some tweaks.

No you don't, all your combos feel weak as enemies don't flinch and if your rage meter isn't full you can't deal significant damage. Grapples are typical affair like all the other GOW games.

This couldn't really be further from the truth.

Even if my rage meter isn't full, I'm slinging baddies all over the map and dolling out combo damage.

Grapples are not typical affair like all other GOW games, the grapple system is completely different.

What point are you at? Also, hard or normal?

I do think when the rage meter is maxed kratos feels incredibly good and super powerful, but it could use some tweaks.

I'm playing on normal
just reached the point where some guys are building statues

Derrick01

Banned
Why are we riding Derrick's dick again?

I dunno, people seem to really like talking about me recently and trust me it annoys me as much as it probably does everyone else. I usually try not to participate in it, especially when it breaks out randomly in some threads where I either didn't post at all or hadn't posted in hours. Anyway that's all I'll say on it since it's just more boring meta discussion.

Papercuts

This couldn't really be further from the truth.

Even if my rage meter isn't full, I'm slinging baddies all over the map and dolling out combo damage.

Grapples are not typical affair like all other GOW games, the grapple system is completely different.

I'm playing on normal
just reached the point where some guys are building statues

I was feeling pretty similar to you at that point, but there have been a few encounters that have soured me a bit. Mainly the goddamn cerberus who takes one hell of a beating and constantly warps around, while you slowly build up the meter...getting hit once you make it and dropping it all the way down is incredibly disheartening and somewhat restricts you into playing it safe and just doing square square triangle a lot. A lot of the enemies you've encountered at that point are incredibly susceptible to grabs, but later/more armored ones are not and that is when you will start to feel the combo locked meter more. I am on hard though, so maybe you won't hit stuff like this.

There is an item near the start of the game that will give infinite rage after you beat the game and I have to say it'll be fun as hell using that.

The amount of puzzles in Ascension blew me away. I think it might have triple the amount of GoW3, if not more. Most of them are pretty fun too.

Not even the amount, but the quality to me. These are easily the best puzzles in the series, and have surprisingly almost stumped me at times.

Anyone saying my concerns and frustrations about the lack of enemy reaction to my hits in the first moments of the game aren't legitimate, can not be taken seriously. That is not how you create an action game. Mind you, I was playing on Hard.

Zen

Banned
Anyone saying my concerns and frustrations about the lack of enemy reaction to my hits in the first moments of the game aren't legitimate, can not be taken seriously. That is not how you create an action game. Mind you, I was playing on Hard.

Have you played a god of war game before?

Papercuts

They honestly seem to react how I remember them always being in this series. They just are much more aggressive.

Have you played a god of war game before?
Of course, and it has always sucked, but the opening fodder at least had their animations interrupted after certain attacks.

edit: If I inputted L1+square or a strong combo, I'd push back enemies who weren't in their glowy attack phase. Here, my attacks are completely ignored.

Top Bottom